Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As if there weren't already too many good things coming out soon -- this comes out of nowhere, is releasing in a week, and I feel like I need it. Before the other day I had no idea it existed.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Still waiting o those impressions!

Only got to play for an hour or so last night! Earliest impressions are "I wish I would have not skipped the combat tutorial and started on hard mode because I had no earthly idea what I was doing and got my ass handed to me in the first couple fights so I ended up restarting!" Just running around the starting area doing quests and being introduced to the various factions. It's good so far and I'm hoping to actually get to the island tonight assuming the kid goes to bed at a reasonable hour.

What little of the combat I've played I like - break down opponents armor to do damage to health. Shoot people in the face. Knock them down with a kick. Satisfying stuff.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Should be an achievement to basically wipe out all monsters, "EXTINCTION"

I mean that would be boring to be trudging around an empty map

Lighting Returns: Final Fantasy XIII had that feature where you could kill enough monsters, so that they would go extinct. You had to kill a lot of them, though. The last of one kind of was called "Last One" and it would give you special abilities like high-level magic and stuff.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you know, just once I'd like to see a publisher say fuck it and just make the download available early so everyone can play.

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA. There've been early copies sprouting up in NYC every so often, I was lucky enough to snag one from Ebay.

you know what pissed me off? I searched ebay and a copy for 40 bucks from NJ showed up in my results. I clicked on that shit and the sale had ended the previous evening! Why in the world would they show me that listing. Of course there are no more actual copies left, just preorders.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Sounds good, will probably grab around Black Friday or so, as I'll be currently drowning in Gears of War, Borderlands, and my constant Civilization IV on Switch addiction.

people

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 install size (1.00, from disc) = 10.92 GB
Patch 1.02 = 1.932 GB, install size 1.02 = 12.33 GB
Version 1.02
- Various improvements.

Version 1.01
Game updates:
- Support of Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese Brazilian, Polish, Russian and SImplified Chinese.
- Various improvements.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Well I pre-ordered today. Not that I wasn't planning on getting the game on PS4 - I was waiting for Simply Games to even put it up on their website so I could order it. I even asked them on the phone on Monday why they didn't have it up and they said it would be 'soon'. So yeah I checked at 11am this morning and it still wasn't up - checked one hour later and it's up - but already out of stock! 🤦‍♂️

So off to Shopto I went instead. Can we say that name here?

I know pre-ordering can be seen as daft - but these companies have a tendency to ship early - so that's why.

I'm really looking forward to this. I had a great time with The Technomancer - this looks even better and I totally have a crush on Spider's CEO.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game looks great, will play this on PC thought, I'm not digging the color palette of the game to be honest, really brown, hopefully that can be changed with reshade.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
So how is hard mode so far? I'd like to play it that way unless there's some bs mechanic like the stamina in Dragon's Dogma...

I switched to Normal after getting my ass kicked because I skipped the combat tutorial. Now that I *get* the combat I might bump it back up to Hard.

Did you do any side quests, are they interesting? Also, is exploration rewarded with chests and loot?

Did all the available side quests in the tutorial area (I think there were four total, one for each faction). They're all interesting in that none of them were fetch quests. Each of the side quests had at least two or three ways to complete and two or three "outcomes". I was able to use stealth to solve one, a disguise for another, charisma for another, etc.

Side quest rewards in the tutorial area were gold, exp, and faction rep. There have been plenty of chests and stuff to find when exploring, several of which were in need of picking.

I also got a crystal to reset my talents/attributes/etc. at the end of the tutorial so I can respec. No idea how common they are but I'm so happy that they don't hard lock you into something you might regret later. I'm the kind of player who would completely restart the game if I wasn't happy with my character a few hours into an RPG.

I *love* the aesthetic of the game with the pistols and cutlasses.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Did all the available side quests in the tutorial area (I think there were four total, one for each faction). They're all interesting in that none of them were fetch quests. Each of the side quests had at least two or three ways to complete and two or three "outcomes". I was able to use stealth to solve one, a disguise for another, charisma for another, etc.

Side quest rewards in the tutorial area were gold, exp, and faction rep. There have been plenty of chests and stuff to find when exploring, several of which were in need of picking.

I also got a crystal to reset my talents/attributes/etc. at the end of the tutorial so I can respec. No idea how common they are but I'm so happy that they don't hard lock you into something you might regret later. I'm the kind of player who would completely restart the game if I wasn't happy with my character a few hours into an RPG.

I *love* the aesthetic of the game with the pistols and cutlasses.

I've lost count of how many games I've restarted after a couple of hours as I've picked something that I've later regretted, I love games which allow you to respec easily.

The Aesthetic is what got me excited too, glad you're enjoying it early you lucky swine :P

Oct 25, 2017
I'd hope so, TW3 is old now.
This has nothing to do with anything. Gameplay animations, especially for combat, don't keep evolving linearly like the ones used for cinematics. It's not even just a matter of budget, you can throw all the money you want at a game, and it can still have weird combat animations. Look at Jedi.

Western game developers usually struggle with melee-focused animations. They're incredible for shooters, though.

There are several games that are much older than Witcher 3 but have better combat animations.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
This game went from "I never heard about this game or this studio" to "Give it to me now" in just a week. Still going to wait for reviews, but so far everething is sounding good to me.

people

Oct 27, 2017
So how is hard mode so far? I'd like to play it that way unless there's some bs mechanic like the stamina in Dragon's Dogma...
I'm playing Magic user on Extreme difficulty, still exploring the first town and doing (side)quest. It's probably too early to say how hard Extreme will turn out to be, but so far it's doable. Hardest battle so far was against 4 enemies. There is no stamina for dodging/evading (also no rolling), but it's easy to get stuck on/behind objects or get boxed in by multiple enemies if you're not careful or in tight spaces. Magic is fun, but kind of spammy at the start (haven't spent any point(s) yet, Stasis (starter spell) is nice to stun/freeze enemy and get a few (melee) hits in, but is harder to utilize when facing groups. Also, companion gets knocked out relatively fast from what I've experienced so far.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Charisma's supposed to improve their performance, but I have no idea what that entails.
Probably some kind of commanding aura that boosts companions' stats. It's quite common in some RPGs.

Now I really need to look into the skills descriptions and stuff. Charisma build is always my way of playing RPGs like this.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has nothing to do with anything. Gameplay animations, especially for combat, don't keep evolving linearly like the ones used for cinematics. It's not even just a matter of budget, you can throw all the money you want at a game, and it can still have weird combat animations. Look at Jedi.

Western game developers usually struggle with melee-focused animations. They're incredible for shooters, though.

There are several games that are much older than Witcher 3 but have better combat animations.

yep!

Animation quality is up to whoever is in charge of art direction/animation. High budget games frequently have mediocre or lame movement and melee animation, and like you say there is definitely a pattern where eastern developers are simply better at this (obviously it's subjective, but that's how I strongly feel).

TW3 doesn't have bad animation and combat because they didn't have enough budget, it has bad animation and combat because the person in charge didn't think it was bad (and regardless of whether people like me disliked it, whatever they did worked for that game because it was a success and has legions of fans.).

It's like saying a michael bay movie has bad writing because of low budget. No, it has bad writing because the people in charge chose that script. If you took whoever is in charge of animation at platinum games and had them lead the animation for the witcher 3 it would have been dramatically better because that person knows what he's doing

Oct 25, 2017
Animation quality is up to whoever is in charge of art direction/animation. High budget games frequently have mediocre or lame movement and melee animation, and like you say there is definitely a pattern where eastern developers are simply better at this (obviously it's subjective, but that's how I strongly feel).

TW3 doesn't have bad animation and combat because they didn't have enough budget, it has bad animation and combat because the person in charge didn't think it was bad (and regardless of whether people like me disliked it, whatever they did worked for that game because it was a success and has legions of fans.).

It's like saying a michael bay movie has bad writing because of low budget. No, it has bad writing because the people in charge chose that script. If you took whoever is in charge of animation at platinum games and had them lead the animation for the witcher 3 it would have been dramatically better because that person knows what he's doing
It's interesting to see the difference in how quickly every part of the graphics in Netherrealm fighting games evolve compared to the animations. Which are evolving, but at a much much slower pace.

It's possible that the talent just isn't there yet, even if they're willing to put money into it to hire new animators.

And yeah, as you said, it clearly worked. And as someone who thinks good animation is one of the most important things in making a game look good to me, I can clearly say that I'm in the minority whenever people are discussing graphics, and bashing games that have superb animations in favor of others that don't move nearly as smoothly, but have much better effects.

EDIT: About Platinum, it's crazy to see them talk in devblogs about how they needed to hold back on the animations for gameplay purposes, and how, as animators, that hurts a bit. But then you look at the animations and they just look vastly superior to games that go for animation priority to the detriment of controller response, like Witcher 3 itself.

If Nier Automata is Platinum "holding back", other devs really need to catch up.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
yep!

I see a lot of people misconstrue the bad combat in TW3.
Its not that animations are bad, its the odd hitbox and the lack of dedicated moves is what hurts the combat. The latter is definitely the reason many see the combat as weaker, if only they added proper ques as opposed to weird enemy distance as the trigger for moves no one would be complaining, and honestly considering the scale of the world and how the arena in the fights are "open" I can totally see why they went with this route.

Its just weird to see people quit TW3 because they are frustrated at the combat while the game has so much more to offer, whle games like Dark Souls are build on these frustrations as their selling points.

Regarding GreeFall, Very excited for next week, I hope the walking animations are on point especially in such open world games. It needs to be organic rather than floating.