golguin

Oct 29, 2017
That subreddit, along with every other subreddit that has any sort of monetary, political or cultural influence, is already being manipulated heavily by rich people or companies. There´s no reason for them not to given the results.
To think that WSB is solely a safehaven for a merry get-together of rogue investors is kind of naive.
A lot of influential groups lost a lot of money on the GameStop stock situation. It's naive to think they would play themselves. The rocket increase in price of the stock is proof of that loss.

That isn't to say that other rich influencers didn't see what was happening. I'm sure others jumped in. All the news stories I've read about this indicate it was a big fleecing.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
That subreddit, along with every other subreddit that has any sort of monetary, political or cultural influence, is already being manipulated heavily by rich people or companies. There´s no reason for them not to given the results.
To think that WSB is solely a safehaven for a merry get-together of rogue investors is kind of naive.

The good old boys got hit hard by this...

It's not that something similar wouldn't have happened without WSB- GME was undervalued and over shorted, but it would have been institutional money changing hands rather than retail investors getting life changing profits overnight.

There's obviously rich people contributing to the happenings on the site, many of them actual millionares and stock analysts - but the wealth of information and insight they are freely divulging in a digestible manner was previously for an exclusive club of upperclass folks.

Oct 27, 2017

LOL. It's literally just a bunch of trolls. You guys not to stop attributing everything to rich/elite shadow groups that are just groups of people on the internet for the lulz. This is like when news reports tried pushing "Anonymous" as some group or entity, when it's just what people on 4chan call each other because there are no usernames (ignoring tripcodes)

OP
OP
Squid Bunny

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Trading stopped again. Another record day for GameStop

That's a whole lot of money lost due to WSB.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
weekly and monthly options expiring this week, going to be very interesting

combined with AAPL, FB, and TSLA earnings, this is gonna end in a bang

Gorillaz

Oct 25, 2017
WSB already had this air of manipulation from people who actually had money. Not from people who just got a Robhinhood account because of memes and they had 20 dollars left over from the weekend.

But after GME rise? that shit is steps beyond infiltrated now.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The stock price is up after hours. This is going to be another wild ride in the morning.

yeah, I've been successful timing the waves. Bought at 65, sold at 125, bought again at 66. I wanna keep playing this game, but I have fear of missing out on the big squeeze.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised how big this got. My local Belgian newspaper did half a page on it today.

Oct 29, 2017

Where are we, some conspiracy board where we shout deep state at everything?

- WSB did not cause this, they just jumped on the bandwagon. GME was already undervalued, leadership change came this month which bumped prices a bit, triggering a short squeeze.
- The big guys lost a ton of money. They were the ones who have been shorting GME. They lost billions. WSB is basically a group of crazy people who bet their life savings on crazy shit. Even for them, shorting is rare because you don't always know how much you can lose. Buying crazy options or just simply stock is their thing.

Kudos to them though. They were thinking outside of the box and made shitton of money on rich people. They are crazy but not idiots.

Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
Good video explaining the situation and precisely why it's happening to these hedge fund manager types. Greed.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Founder of Reddit tells Chamath Palihapitiya to buy $GME

QHnU2KQ.png

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
LOL. It's literally just a bunch of trolls. You guys not to stop attributing everything to rich/elite shadow groups that are just groups of people on the internet for the lulz. This is like when news reports tried pushing "Anonymous" as some group or entity, when it's just what people on 4chan call each other because there are no usernames (ignoring tripcodes)

But that´s not the image that they´re trying to portray themselves as. They´re portraying themselves as young "edgelord" investors constantly either making enormous profits or taking enormous loses and then acting smirky and carefree regardless of which outcome.

That´s not the normal behavior of an adult investor. It smells like a small segment of rich kids throwing around their parents money, companies or wealthy people astroturfing to sway the opinion of the sub, with the rest being teenagers cosplaying on the internet to feel good about themselves.

Where are we, some conspiracy board where we shout deep state at everything?

- WSB did not cause this, they just jumped on the bandwagon. GME was already undervalued, leadership change came this month which bumped prices a bit, triggering a short squeeze.
- The big guys lost a ton of money. They were the ones who have been shorting GME. They lost billions. WSB is basically a group of crazy people who bet their life savings on crazy shit. Even for them, shorting is rare because you don't always know how much you can lose. Buying crazy options or just simply stock is their thing.

Kudos to them though. They were thinking outside of the box and made shitton of money on rich people. They are crazy but not idiots.

Nobodies talking about deepstates?
People and companies are constantly getting caught lying about who they are and why they´re doing what they do on the internet. With bulletproof evidence.
It´s not even conspiratory thinking anymore.
People lie about shit online just to get a couple of orange arrows. If you think that it´s completely out of the question that some practice the same strategies when there´s billions on the line I don´t know what to say to you.

Oct 27, 2017
That´s not the normal behavior of an adult investor. It smells like a small segment of rich kids throwing around their parents money, companies or wealthy people astroturfing to sway the opinion of the sub, with the rest being teenagers cosplaying on the internet to feel good about themselves.
Or fewer people on there are actually investing money, than people assume. It's easy to talk shit when it's on something like Market Watch's virtual stock exchange or you're speaking purely hypothetically/theoretically. And it's likely it's just the ones who are actually investing and make good returns that speak the loudest and are amplified

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I sold at $108 (bought at $42) - I will be back in the dip.

But that´s not the image that they´re trying to portray themselves as. They´re portraying themselves as young "edgelord" investors constantly either making enormous profits or taking enormous loses and then acting smirky and carefree regardless of which outcome.

Nobodies talking about deepstates?
People and companies are constantly getting caught lying about who they are and why they´re doing what they do on the internet. With bulletproof evidence.
It´s not even conspiratory thinking anymore.
People lie about shit online just to get a couple of orange arrows. If you think that it´s completely out of the question that some practice the same strategies when there´s billions on the line I don´t know what to say to you.

...this isn't all rich kids - these are people from all walks of life putting some money on the line. Not everyone can invest thousands - some are just investing a few hundred or less. Also, 'adult behavior'?

Of course there will be other people - it is a 2M+ public reddit group. But the movement in itself is in no way something that the establishment wanted. This has put some investment firms on the brink.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Man. This GME shit is crazy. I'm clueless in the stock market, and I invested $2500 USD a few days ago. I hope I can get enough for a brand new car or something.

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like crypto style flash pump and dumps (which were named for stock pump and dumps) are now being done on stocks?

I dunno anything about this except that some very unfortunate people are left holding the bag at the end.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
That´s not the normal behavior of an adult investor. It smells like a small segment of rich kids throwing around their parents money,

I think you wildly underestimate the number of people in their late 20's and early 30's making 250k+. with the pandemic everyone has been hoarding cash - not travelling, not spending 'just in case'. there's been a couple of reports about how much money is being accumulated by huge sections of the US.

Also, it is in fact the behavior that huge hedge funds have been doing for decades. it's perfectly legal for a hedge fund to take out a huge short position, then host press releases, webinars, buy ads etc all saying why they think the price is going to go down - in an effort to push it down.This is not technically stock manipulation somehow. i imagine it's a delicate line to walk, but many large funds have figured it out.

A coordinated group of people on the internet pooling their bets from 5k - 50k, when applied to a stock that is heavily over shorted do actually have the power to buy up all the shares and coordinate a short squeeze. It's less of an edgelord bet and more of a rebelling against institutions that have got greedy over the last few decades. They've been manipulating the market for so long people are enjoying being a part of fucking them over.
This kind of thing happens all the time - it's usually one institution going short and another hedge fund single handedly squeezing them out (and very often based on personal vendettas). The only difference this time is the squeeze is being done by a crowdsourced web forum instead of a billion dollar fund managed by a single person.

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
It sounds like crypto style flash pump and dumps (which were named for stock pump and dumps) are now being done on stocks?

I dunno anything about this except that some very unfortunate people are left holding the bag at the end.

The difference is that a hedge fund took out a short position which would mean they are the ones left holding the bag if it goes up over $x. The bag holder was predetermined.
they posted about this publicly hoping that everyone would be impressed at how confident they were that it would go down, and reddit said 'oh no you fucking dont'
Some regular people will lose money when they get in too late, but by and large the money everyone is making is a hedge fund being forced to pump a billion dollars into it to cover their position. It's not quite the same as crypto exit scam.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
Off shoot question is there a thread on investing or stock trading on resetera?

www.resetera.com

Stock Market Era |OT2| Taking SPY private at $420. Funding secured. OT

We're here for stocks discussion, including news, market commentary, technical analysis and trading ideas. Note: Any actions you take based on posts here are your own responsibility. Be aware of your own risk tolerance, and be sure you understand the risks of any trade you make. “You can...

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK