• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
It's a rare occasion when unseen footage of MK3 resurfaces. An artists who made an unused stage for MK3, shared a rare video on Reddit. The artist comments throughout the thread, so it's worth a read and some upvotes.

u/kmiller0202 said:
This is a previously never released video taken off of a development CRT showing an MK3 level that was left on the cutting room floor. It was an underground cavern level that we were doing initial testing on the graphic elements of. While I wasn't employed by Bally/Midway/Williams, Ed asked me as a friend to do some graphics for a level. Some surviving graphic work I contributed was the Galaxian style mini-game in MK3. The quality of the video is meh and there is no audio but hey, it was the 90s. (The video on the right was SNL that we were apparently watching on a TV at the time.)

Ed gave me some direction on the size of the sprites and elements and from there, I had no way of previewing how everything flowed during the design. I had to make a trip to his house. This was the first time I was able to view everything in action on a development system.

Some points of interest, the title screens were incomplete so a static image with some PacMan and Joust sprites bouncing around. Also check out the names of some of the fighters when the round ends.

u/kmiller0202 said:
The origin is actually quite simple. Ed and I have been friends for many years. Early on, he was fortunate enough to get into game development (starting with pinball) and I chose the less glamorous route. We had always wanted to collaborate on something so the opportunity arose where he asked me to design a level for MK3. I had no involvement in prior games but watched from the sidelines behind the scenes. If I recall it was as simple as "Hey Kent, design a level for MK3". I told him my general idea and worked on the images and tried to imagine how they would look in the game. I would send him some static images as I finished them and when I was done, he assembled them into a working level in (very) early game development. We live hours apart so I made a trip to his house in Dec. of '93 to review how it looked. This is what the video was made from. I was seeing it for the first time. It looked good to me but needed some expansion (we used the same element a few times to fill in) and some tweaking to make it look like it fit with the other levels being developed. Due to multiple factors (difficulty in collaborating hours apart with no hi-speed Internet back in the day), and general limitations of the number of levels, etc. it (as well as a few others) didn't make the cut. As a consolation he later asked me to do the sprites for the MK3 mini-game. I made them over the weekend and traveled later to see them in action after Mark did the development of the mini-game itself. I believe at that point MK3 was in early production so I got to see the game start to finish. The fact that I could contribute anything at all, get credited and have my name as part of the hidden mini-game meant the world to me (my 15 min of fame I guess). We remain friends to this day but unfortunately due to his insane schedule we don't see each other as often as we'd like.

Video of the stage can be seen here: https://www.reddit.com/r/retrogamin...l_kombat_3_never_before_released_video_of_an/

megamanofnumbers

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Apr 28, 2022
This is incredible. MK1 isn't even out yet and we're already getting BTS stuff for the third entry. This series is going places, I tell you.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I actually like the unused stage. It fits in nicely with the game.

Deleted member 128578

Dec 2, 2022
This is awesome. That Cavern stage actually looks really cool, crazy to think this could have been a stage in MK9 too.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
That level looks fucking great. Would have made a nice "uppercut to the higher area" spot.

I can see why they didn't use it though. Not dark or apocalyptic enough.

Deleted member 128578

Dec 2, 2022
What's honestly the craziest thing about this is the Redditor saying that this was filmed in December of '93. That's nearly a year and a half before MK3 came out and only a month after MK2 was in arcades. With that in mind it's actually pretty crazy that Sub-Zero and Jax's MK3 sprites were finished by this point, they must've started work immediately after they shipped MK2.

Also just judging by the vibe of the Cavern stage, I think it's a pretty likely that MK3 was originally going to follow MK2 in tone before going with the city theme and whackier tone it ended up with. I really love seeing development stuff like this.

OP
OP
Carnby

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
What's honestly the craziest thing about this is the Redditor saying that this was filmed in December of '93. That's nearly a year and a half before MK3 came out and only a month after MK2 was in arcades. With that in mind it's actually pretty crazy that Sub-Zero and Jax's MK3 sprites were finished by this point, they must've started work immediately after they shipped MK2.

Also just judging by the vibe of the Cavern stage, I think it's a pretty likely that MK3 was originally going to follow MK2 in tone before going with the city theme and whackier tone it ended up with. I really love seeing development stuff like this.

Good point. Which explains the MK2 style energy bars and logo.

And Sub-Zero being called "M.Bison." Which I can't believe no one has commented on yet. lol

Obviously that wasn't going to be his name, but it makes me wonder if the character was always going to be Sub-Zero or a new ice ninja. 🤔

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Early MK3 still had the MK2 lifebars? Also I wanna see Mortal Kombat Nitro for SNES resurface one day. It's an improved SNES version that restores the blood and was supposed to have extra features not in the arcade.

Oct 26, 2017
That looks like a stage from Primal Rage, kinda like Armadon's stage. 'Really neat that this could be brought to light!

Deleted member 128578

Dec 2, 2022
Good point. Which explains the MK2 style energy bars and logo.

And Sub-Zero being called "M.Bison." Which I can't believe no one has commented on yet. lol

Obviously that wasn't going to be his name, but it makes me wonder if the character was always going to be Sub-Zero or a new ice ninja. 🤔

Yeah the M.Bison thing was funny, probably just a joke on Ed's part while they were waiting to name characters (like Ketchup and Mustard). I wonder who else was named after a SF2 character lol.

You also raise a good point there about SZ; I wonder if they planned on changing his name given he's called M.Bison here, which makes you think they hadn't finalised a name for him yet (or as you said, were going to introduce a brand new ice character). Would've been crazy if he went by a different name from MK3 onwards or if SZ also skipped MK3 like Scorpion and Raiden.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Early MK3 still had the MK2 lifebars? Also I wanna see Mortal Kombat Nitro for SNES resurface one day. It's an improved SNES version that restores the blood and was supposed to have extra features not in the arcade.

I mean it was a long time ago, but I thought MK Nitro was like an MKT sequel game that Ed trolled people about online in the mid-90s (back then he actually *did* bullshit people on the Internet). I seem to remember him joking about it in an AOL chat or something.

If memory serves that is.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Amazing footage.

Also the Galaxian minigame was called Rellim Ohcanep so I always wondered who the Miller was, the other being usual MK dev team member Mark Penacho.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I mean it was a long time ago, but I thought MK Nitro was like an MKT sequel game that Ed trolled people about online in the mid-90s (back then he actually *did* bullshit people on the Internet). I seem to remember him joking about it in an AOL chat or something.

If memory serves that is.
I've always heard that 2 prototype SNES carts exist somewhere. IGN did a story about it.

www.ign.com

Mortal Kombat Nitro Developer Remembers the Faster, Bloodier SNES Version That Never Was - IGN

Mortal Kombat Nitro was meant to be a faster, bloodier version of the censored SNES version, but it was canceled before it could happen. The developer who conceived the project explains Mortal Kombat Nitro was lost forever.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
That M. Bison reference is funny. I remember working on AAA games and people got really upset if anyone put in a placeholder name or reference from another property. They basically were like don't put something in you wouldn't be ok with it getting out eventually for fear the placeholder wouldn't get removed in all places. Sounded like some horror stories from the older days.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
I've always heard that 2 prototype SNES carts exist somewhere. IGN did a story about it.

www.ign.com

Mortal Kombat Nitro Developer Remembers the Faster, Bloodier SNES Version That Never Was - IGN

Mortal Kombat Nitro was meant to be a faster, bloodier version of the censored SNES version, but it was canceled before it could happen. The developer who conceived the project explains Mortal Kombat Nitro was lost forever.

Did a little Google Fu and found out we're both right. Ed posted about MKT: Nitro Edition on noob.com way, way back in the day around MKT's release. I haven't so far found anything referencing Mortal Kombat Nitro (SNES) that predates an interview where Boon explained it in Game Informer around the release of MK9. The actual Sculptured Software devs that worked on it began talking about it more a couple years ago too. In all likelihood, Ed's knowledge and disapproval of the release of MKN (SNES) way back in the early nineties inspired the name of the later MKT:NE joke (which was a tongue in cheek troll about MK3 getting a bunch of SF2 like "editions" with UMK3 and MKT).