• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
na.finalfantasyxiv.com

Regarding the Expansion of FFXIV's Operations | FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone

Regarding the Expansion of FFXIV's Operations

Hello everyone, and Happy New Year! This is Producer & Director Naoki Yoshida. I thank you for sticking with us through 2021, and ask for your continued support in 2022!

Since officially launching on December 7 last year, Endwalker has experienced extremely high levels of congestion, causing our players a great deal of frustration. The task of rebalancing jobs also remains, and we will continue working on this and other adjustments.

While certain Worlds continue to experience congestion during peak times, our plan to fundamentally address the problem is beginning to take shape, and I'd like to share the roadmap with you.

Before I proceed, just a warning that this announcement covers a wide range of subjects, and is quite long. Though I explain things in order, feel free to skip to the sections that interest you, when you find a moment.

Opening of Oceanian Data Center

The Oceanian Data Center, which we've been planning for some time, will be opening approximately two weeks earlier than scheduled. This may be a little sudden, but we'll be bringing it online on Tuesday, January 25, 2022 (JST).

Additionally, taking into account the current number of players in Oceania, the original plan was to initially add three Worlds and later introduce two more. In light of the recent influx of players, however, we've decided to add five new Worlds from the start. With this, there should be more than enough room for everyone in Oceania to transfer over. Those in Oceania who have struggled with network latency issues should also have a better play experience.

This will be explained in detail separately, but these being new Worlds, we'll be offering incentives to transfer to them, such as waiving the transfer fee. We hope you take advantage of these bonuses.

Expansion of North American Data Centers

Currently, the North American Data Center houses three logical data centers and 24 Worlds (an 8:8:8 configuration). In order to cope with a drastic increase in player population, we are planning a two-phase major server expansion. Due to the global shortage of semiconductors, it has taken considerable time to procure server equipment, but the schedule calls for the first phase to be implemented around August 2022, with the second phase to follow in the spring or summer of 2023.

In the first phase of the expansion, scheduled for August 2022, one new logical data center will be established and four new Worlds will be added under it. In the second phase of the expansion, we plan to add four more new Worlds under the newly established logical DC, resulting in a four-logical-DC configuration of 8:8:8:8. While we had originally hoped to add all eight new Worlds at once in August 2022, the aforementioned semiconductor shortage has dictated that we introduce the upgrade in two stages. Again, we ask for your understanding and patience in this matter.

In addition to the above, we are also considering a yet-larger-scale upgrade at the time of the next major expansion (Patch 7.0). We will be sure to update you with further details regarding this as our plans take shape.

There is simply too much in there to include it all, as they also discuss the Cross-Data Center travel and Home World Transfer service.

Edit: Summary from Reddit:

OCE Data Center launching on January 25th, with 5 worlds.

Home World Transfer service resuming from January 26th.

Data Center Travel planned for 6.1x, can travel to other DCs in your region but not cross-region.

JP will get 1 new Data Center in July 2022, with the 32 current worlds being shuffled around to have 8 per DC instead of the current 10:11:11.

NA will get 1 new Data Center in August 2022 with 4 new worlds, and another 4 new worlds added to it in Spring/Summer 2023. Also have plans for larger upgrades in 7.0.

EU will get 2 new worlds for both current Data Centers in July 2022, and then a new Data Center with 8 new worlds in Summer 2023. Also making preparations in case of needing a fourth Data Center.

Digital sales of FFXIV will resume on January 25th.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Welp...gonna have to say goodbye to australian players in my fc soon. Dang...august for NA is later than I expected.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Nice, I put the game on pause the moment they announced Oceanic servers, so I'll jump back in as soon as they're up.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Cool to see them resuming game sales, and hopefully new free trial registrations are not too far behind. I said it in the other thread, but also really looking forward to the Data Center travel stuff. Not sure how much I'll actually take advantage of it, but it'll be nice to be able to play with people on different DC's in the same region at least. Always been a bit of a bummer to me to know folks who play the game but on a different DC.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The Final Days are upon us, Elemental is getting sundered.

Still pondering on whether I should make the move. I'll probably create an alt on Materia to test it out for a couple of days.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Home World Transfer service resuming from January 26th.
Nice, I'm so ready to move out of Cactuar. Got unlucky that so many streamers decided to settle here and bring their audiences.
It wasn't that bad before the expansion but these queues are not worth staying here.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
damn, no cross-region data centre travel, RIP australian homies

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
7 months until new north america servers 🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Now to figure out which server my fellow AU/NZ friends want to go to...

I wanna be on Sophia cause she was the favourite of those fights for me but I can see them overridding

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
4 more worlds for NA and even 8 more total after a year...doesn't seem like much. I mean given the current queues it's enough. But I would've thought they'd at least add 2 more data centers for NA and 16 more worlds.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm tempted to wait till things settle tbqh as I expect the transfer service to be super overloaded especially with sales resuming and said transfer fee being waived. OTOH I also expect those servers to fill up quickly :/

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
oh there wont be cross region dc travel?
i guess that makes sense, shame still

gonna ask my rl friends if they will move or not

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Bummed there won't be cross-region travel, but hoping they eventually implement it.

Still not sure if I wanna leave Elemental for one of the new Oceania data centers...

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Shit it didn't occur to me 3 less worlds means that much less hunts, nevermind that DC travel also potentially opens up even more hunt opportunities.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
4 more worlds for NA and even 8 more total after a year...doesn't seem like much. I mean given the current queues it's enough. But I would've thought they'd at least add 2 more data centers for NA and 16 more worlds.
NA will be even with JP for number of servers come 2023 (I didn't realize before this post that JP has 32). Edit: And 7.0 could bring even more.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty excited to play this on the oceanic data server. Gonna have to buy a story skip to some part of it though because my old account is tied to my old work email address.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but the opening of Oceania datacenter should relieve some of the slack. I mean, they're doing their best...

I... can't read if this is sarcasm but in case it is, the OCE servers have been in progress for a year or two now, and were planned long before the EW queue issues. So it's the release of long term plans coming to fruition while they simultaneously have been working on the fixes for NA, it's not like a "wow SE is prioritising OCE over us they get theirs now but we have to wait".

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly so torn between staying on Ifrit with my FC or transferring to one of the Oceanic servers.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
I... can't read if this is sarcasm but in case it is, the OCE servers have been in progress for a year or two now, and were planned long before the EW queue issues. So it's the release of long term plans coming to fruition while they simultaneously have been working on the fixes for NA, it's not like a "wow SE is prioritising OCE over us they get theirs now but we have to wait".
It's not sarcasm, lol. This OCE opening really should hopefully ease congestion in other areas while they have to wait for new worlds.

Sorry, I read your post as saying that a 7 month wait for new NA worlds was ridiculous / a bad call, so was defending it.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but the opening of Oceania datacenter should relieve some of the slack. I mean, they're doing their best...
The fuck is wrong with you?

ANYWAY, I started playing XIV with the intention of transferring to the Oceania DC as soon as I could but now that it's on the horizon, I dunno. I really like things on Crystal and I dunno if I wanna throw that away, especially since we now know DC transfers are region locked. Plus, you know, 3 less worlds means there's a LOT less S ranks to kill.

Edit: Oh, sounds like that wasn't sarcasm then. lol my bad. I don't think a lot of people realise how rough we have it, the game is not made for people with high ping.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Love ragnarok having hours queue still and only two new servers in 7 months, ouch

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
It's not sarcasm, lol. This OCE opening really should hopefully ease congestion in other areas while they have to wait for new worlds.

Sorry, I read your post as saying that a 7 month wait for new NA worlds was ridiculous / a bad call, so was defending it.

Oh no it's not my post! I just couldn't read if yours was a sarcastiuc agreement andI've just had a lot of NA players yell at us for getting a server before NA gets their expansion and it just sucks :(

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
Its been years since i played this, as an Aussie, if i transfer to the new oceanic servers, can i still play with friends on other servers in party finder and such?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I wish they would upgrade their existing servers before adding more, they're pretty bad, but I know that's way harder.

Also no way I'm using the Data Center travel after being stuck in another server for a whole day lol

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Can we take a second to reflect on how transparent Square Enix is when it comes to FFXIV and how accessible this blogpost is regarding all of this ? It goes into details about the how and when, but stay clear enough to give you the big picture.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
7 months until new north america servers 🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴

Things have settled down though. The longest queues I have had in the evening on a NA server has been under 1.6k and it usually takes less than an hour.

Feb 15, 2019
Damn, EU's getting 10 extra worlds in Summer, 8 of them being in a new datacenter and then also preparation for an entire 4th new datacenter if there's a need for it? That's pretty sick.

Last I remember EU had about half the population of NA or Japan and while I know EU has had many server issues in the past they're basically preparing us to have as many worlds as NA then if that theoretical 4th Datacenter does eventually become necessary and implemented. I wonder what the total population of each region is now. I figured the influx of NA streamers and the WoW exodus would've led to the gap between populations of NA and EU increasing.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
So it will be a few months before EU will get the new worlds, but I'm happy they have some concrete info on it now. Also good news that we'll be able to buy the game again soon, I need to find a new laptop soon!

Does this mean that the free trial will be available again? Haven't read the entire post.

It's also nice they're finally adding servers for Oceania. We have an Australian in our FC who couldn't really play that much with the rest of us because of different timezones, i wonder if he'll transfer.

Damn, EU's getting 10 extra worlds in Summer, 8 of them being in a new datacenter and then also preparation for an entire 4th new datacenter if there's a need for it? That's pretty sick.

Last I remember EU had about half the population of NA or Japan and while I know EU has had many server issues in the past they're basically preparing us to have as many worlds as NA then if that theoretical 4th Datacenter does eventually become necessary and implemented. I wonder what the total population of each region is now. I figured the influx of NA streamers and the WoW exodus would've led to the gap between populations of NA and EU increasing.
I think it says EU will get 2 worlds (1 in each Light and Chaos), with a new datacenter coming next year in 2023 that includes 8 worlds. And a 4th is being considered. So the 4th datacenter might not even come. I think 3 is a good number, EU had some crazy login queues, even outside of Endwalker release.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Many of my FC peeps are staying in Elemental cause they're more comfortable with Elemental culture. Can see why, the language barrier and the generally reserved JP speakers in Elemental reduced the shit talk and nonsense in chats.

Feb 15, 2019
I think it says EU will get 2 worlds (1 in each Light and Chaos), with a new datacenter coming next year in 2023 that includes 8 worlds. And a 4th is being considered. So the 4th datacenter might not even come. I think 3 is a good number, EU had some crazy login queues, even outside of Endwalker release.

Oh I read it as summer 2022 and not 2023. Yeah that's nice for next year I suppose. Though we'll have a loooot less worlds than the other Datacenters then for a whole year. Basically 14 vs 32.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Oh I read it as summer 2022 and not 2023. Yeah that's nice for next year I suppose. Though we'll have a loooot less worlds than the other Datacenters then for a whole year. Basically 14 vs 32.
Yeah it's a lot less than the rest, but maybe we also have less players? At least we'll get another one next year, who knows we'll get 2!

Feb 15, 2019
Atleast we will get that new Datacenter before 7.0.

Hopefully it'll do well. With 2 extra worlds and a whole 8 new world datacenter that's still going from 12 to 22. Almost double then for 7.0. And they did say they were preparing for a 4th as well in case it was needed. So I'm not really that worried for 7.0 unless for some reason FFXIV blows up even more in EU specifically where it always felt a bit more muted.

Yeah it's a lot less than the rest, but maybe we also have less players? At least we'll get another one next year, who knows we'll get 2!

We do have a lot less players. Last I checked (that was before the massive WoW exodus and a lot of popular NA streamers starting the game) we basically had like less than half of NA's population and barely above half of Japan's population. Which for a region as big as Europe isn't exactly the greatest.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well if dc travel works the way we expect it too, it may side step crystal's problem for the new na data center which is good.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it'll do well. With 2 extra worlds and a whole 8 new world datacenter that's still going from 12 to 22. Almost double then for 7.0. And they did say they were preparing for a 4th as well in case it was needed. So I'm not really that worried for 7.0 unless for some reason FFXIV blows up even more in EU specifically where it always felt a bit more muted.

We do have a lot less players. Last I checked (that was before the massive WoW exodus and a lot of popular NA streamers starting the game) we basically had like less than half of NA's population and barely above half of Japan's population. Which for a region as big as Europe isn't exactly the greatest.
my guess they are doing sever alocation based on where they saw the demand increase.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Things have settled down though. The longest queues I have had in the evening on a NA server has been under 1.6k and it usually takes less than an hour.
They've settled down if you're not on Aether. We still regularly have 2 hour queues so I sure hope when the game goes back on sale we get marked congested so some people are incentivized to leave.

Feb 15, 2019
my guess they are doing sever alocation based on where they saw the demand increase.

qv8sdok1yay71.png

According to this then yeah it would be. These are the numbers slightly before the expansion. And you can definitely see the influence of the WoW exodus and the new NA streamers have had on NA. Almost 300k players are not level 80 as opposed to about a 100k for Japan and 113k for EU. And that 113k from EU percentually also looks a lot better than it does for Japan since that means roughly 1/3rd of the population is new, also a decent chance a fair few of them are coming over from WoW. Since WoW in Japan wasn't exactly all that big, it makes sense why they have percentually the lowest amount of new players.

Of course I'm not saying all the new players are from WoW, that would be ridiculous. But to say the current state of WoW didn't have a positive effect on FFXIV is probably also a bit ridiculous just by seeing how many new players there were in NA in November.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Wow, I knew NA had the most players by far, but didn't know EU had that little compared to the rest.

It seems the game isn't as huge over here as in the rest of the world, but it's still a growing player base.

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
So it will be a few months before EU will get the new worlds, but I'm happy they have some concrete info on it now. Also good news that we'll be able to buy the game again soon, I need to find a new laptop soon!

Does this mean that the free trial will be available again? Haven't read the entire post.

It's also nice they're finally adding servers for Oceania. We have an Australian in our FC who couldn't really play that much with the rest of us because of different timezones, i wonder if he'll transfer.

It reads like the free trial are not going to become available at the same time as the sales resumption. Though I'm not sure

Feb 15, 2019
Wow, I knew NA had the most players by far, but didn't know EU had that little compared to the rest.

It seems the game isn't as huge over here as in the rest of the world, but it's still a growing player base.

We're slowly catching up to Japan at least judging from the November numbers. But yeah the entire continent of Europe having less players than Japan plus like a bit of Oceania in there is not exactly all that great.

Which is honestly especially weird since MMOs have pretty much always been pretty popular in EU and PlayStation and PC are probably the two biggest platforms as well. So it's a bit of a mystery why FFXIV in EU is a fair bit more muted compared to the other regions.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're slowly catching up to Japan at least judging from the November numbers. But yeah the entire continent of Europe having less players than Japan plus like a bit of Oceania in there is not exactly all that great.

Which is honestly especially weird since MMOs have pretty much always been pretty popular in EU and PlayStation and PC are probably the two biggest platforms as well. So it's a bit of a mystery why FFXIV in EU is a fair bit more muted compared to the other regions.
its a guess, but because the nes/snes were never big in Europe. likely the name final fantasy doesnt have the same pull as elsewhere.