Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3114...games-on-switch-embraci?page=1#comment-195057

Our ultimate goal is for the very best of the third-party content to be on Nintendo Switch and to be on date with the other platforms, absolutely that's our goal. The way we're making that happen is first, the developers need to see that Nintendo Switch is a vibrant platform, and we're delivering on that. The fact that the Nintendo Switch was the best-selling console in U.S. history in its first 12 months really highlights the momentum that we have.

The second thing that developers need is they need a strong development environment, whether it's for their own development engines, like Frostbite for EA, or for those developers that are using development tools like Unity or Unreal engine. And those are all supported by Nintendo Switch.

Mistake or?

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Fifa sales on Switch had legs

Looks like EA may be going all in

(doubt Reggie would explicitly say Frostbite if it wasn't coming.... that's a pretty specific detail)

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I read as EA is a developer using its own engine, and that UE and Unity offer support for the platform. Also, What happened to RE engine support!?

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
wut?

"like Frostbite for EA, or for those developers that are using development tools like Unity or Unreal engine. And those are all supported by Nintendo Switch."

I think the second sentence was more targeted toward Unity and Unreal Engine. However, he very much could have meant that statement for Frostbite as well. Though I would certainly take a statement like this coming from Reggie with a grain of salt.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I don't read that quote as saying it is/will be supported. Unity and Unreal are supported, but yeah there are no Frostbite games released or announced on Switch.

That said the fact that he mentioned it does suggest something could be happening. Maybe for future FIFA games since the current ones seem to be selling well enough, maybe for Star Wars games, I don't know if Anthem would be possible but maybe, Garden Warfare would make sense, and I guess Battlefield could fit too.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
I don't read that quote as saying it is/will be supported. Unity and Unreal are supported, but yeah there are no Frostbite games released or announced on Switch.
lol he couldn't have been clearer.

Anyway this is great news.

If EA of all companies is using Frostbite now, it's a good omen for future support. I can't say I'm the biggest fan of their games, but Battlefield would probably do extremely well on the platform, especially now that the Fortnite crowd has Switched and is absolutely thriving.

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
No. He was just giving an example of a developer using their own engine.

Unless EA had just recently started working on making Frostbite compatible with Switch and it wasn't finished in time for FIFA 19.

This time next year Switch is going to have 30M - 40M units in the wild. It seems like a missed opportunity to just continue to bring FIFA and nothing else. A Battlefront port would undoubtedly sale well, and portable Madden could move some units.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
My gut says he is getting confused with Snowdrop and Ubi.

I reeaallllyyyy doubt he'd confuse EA for Ubi in any scenario. Worse, he not only got the Publisher wrong, but also the Engine? I don't buy it.

More like he's letting the world know Frostbite can run on Switch as much as EA might not want to admit it. That sounds like a Reggie thing to do.

Or maybe it's more simple. He's gone nuts.

Although if I recall, one of the NFS: Payback devs said the game could run on Switch.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless EA had just recently started working on making Frostbite compatible with Switch and it wasn't finished in time for FIFA 19.

This time next year Switch is going to have 30M - 40M units in the wild. It seems like a missed opportunity to just continue to bring FIFA and nothing else. A Battlefront port would undoubtedly sale well, and portable Madden could move some units.
i think that ould be the case

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They had a tech-demo only version of Frostbite on ARM years back. You have to think they're gonna wanna get it onto ARM eventually so they can consolidate for their mobile teams.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frostbite has been behind schedule for years now development wise. Support for Vulkan etc. was supposed to arrive nearly 3 years ago at this point. There was a developer over on the old place from EA who talked about Frostbite and its difficulty. The team working on Frostbite development was said to be exceptionally small and support resources was pretty much fully devoted to PS4/XB1 and PC support. There was little to no team available to getting the engine upgraded. Its been a year or more since that was talked about so who knows. Maybe EA has finally got it done which could lead to something eventually

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
They had a tech-demo only version of Frostbite on ARM years back. You have to think they're gonna wanna get it onto ARM eventually so they can consolidate for their mobile teams.

according to a Dev at the old site that branch was not maintained.

We also know that of March 2017 there was 0 plan to port frostbite to switch. If it exists its quite new and probably still a fair bit away from being useable.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno... it would be difficult to mistake Snowdrop for Frostbite. I suspect DICE has put in the work to make it compatible with Switch now that it's sold so many units.

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
I think he was just using it as an example of an in house engine used by many different teams.

Edit: Spoke to soon! Well I'm on the misspoke team then, given EAs reluctancy to bring games they aren't contractually obligated to port to the system :p

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just because it's "supported" doesn't mean it runs well that the developers would release the game in any shape to have their vision run less than optimal

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I read as EA is a developer using its own engine, and that UE and Unity offer support for the platform. Also, What happened to RE engine support!?
I remember Capcom asking for more RAM for RE Engine support, but someone here mentioned something about it not handling switching resolutions very well (unless I'm mistaken).

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There is no way on earth that DICE would find a way to port Battlefront or field. Games would be unrecognisable. Certainly exactly the sort of scope of games the switch isn't going to get.

A COD is potentially more realistic.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Wasn't Frostbite 3 also supported by Xbox 360 and PS3? Battlefield 4 was a cross gen title. So why shouldn't it run on Switch?

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I hope this isn't what you're expecting

Honestly.

I'm expecting nothing. EA isnt usually a company that lets people have nice things.
I mean how hard would it have been to put out a low effort Burnout Paradise port to the Switch day and date with other platforms?

I just personally think it would make sense for EA to try and monetize those IP on Switch

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly.

I'm expecting nothing. EA isnt usually a company that lets people have nice things.
I mean how hard would it have been to put out a low effort Burnout Paradise port to the Switch day and date with other platforms?

I just personally think it would make sense for EA to try and monetize those IP on Switch

It's EA so yeah same. You would think they would try with how they are so about being 3rd party.

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
That is such a nothing statement and I can't help but facepalm when people get worked up about shit like this.

Of fucking course Switch 'supports the Frostbite engine'. So does a fucking phone.

They still need to branch it out and get it running at a reasonable framerate with potentially completely different assets that fit the bill.

The Frostbite engine potentially running on Switch does not mean that you magically get every game ever based on that engine on the Switch.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Let's see the games.

Because right now ports like Fortnite don't inspire confidence. And MS and Sony are rushing towards next gen, and we have an already outdated console that has yet to hit its stride.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im pretty sure he meant only unreal and unity, that frostbite seems more like an exemple.