• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so Nintendo wants to sell 15 million switches in three months to meet this 20 mil goal? And they sold 5 million in the last 9 months? Geez, good luck sis

They sold 5 million in the first 6 months of the FY through September and plan to sell 15 million more from October through March.

For reference they sold 7.5 ish last year in October-December and this year are tracking up in that period.

ucanadam

Alt account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
It's insane to think that games like Mario, Zelda, and Mario Kart are still as relatively popular today as they weren't their "heydays" decades ago despite the industry exploding since then.

Sure Sonic, Street Fighter, and Mortal Kombat are still relevant, but not to the same degree they once were.

Mortal Kombat is still big as fuck

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so Nintendo wants to sell 15 million switches in three months to meet this 20 mil goal? And they sold 5 million in the last 9 months? Geez, good luck sis
april 2018-september 2018 (6 months), sold 5 million
october 2018-march 2019 (6 months), want to sell 15 million, this period includes the holidays, black firday, the launch of smash, pokemon, and nsmbu

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland

They sold 5m from april 2018 to september 2018, and have to sell 15m from october 2018 to march 2019.
Fiscal years go from april to march.

Last year they sold 10m in the timeframe they want to sell 15m this year, with this year having an arguably better lineup(smash+pokemon+mario party vs Mario Odyssey, with both Pokemon and Smash outpacing last years Odysseys sales according to official reports from Nintendo).

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Except it sold that amount on the Wii and the GameCube games sold more despite the vast difference in user base.
Metroid has limited appeal, if Nintendo sees that it wouldn't be a bad inversion for them (it would get along with xenoblade 2 and bayonetta 3) however Metroid Prime 4 is one of those dream sequels after many years, Nintendo fans are hungry for good Metroid and the Switch audience will listen if Nintendo shows it and looks promising

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dunno about the other two, but I think that MKX has sold more than any of it's predecessors.

I guess you could say it's not as influential as it was in it's heyday, but I'm pretty sure it's commercial success has actually grown.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Sales wise yes, it sold five million units. Though to be fair the meat of the game's popularity was in the arcade but still. The thing is that the gaming market has exploded since the '90s.

Five to seven million used to mean amongst the best selling games of the generation, but today it's just another major release.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Those attach rates are insane. Normally, a very high attach rate means a narrow demographic, lack of a varied library, or both. But the Switch is something else. Really unprecendented.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's audience is older now and has more disposable income so higher software sales in a way is a byproduct of that.

Nintendo just has to keep tapping into what is an "audience pleaser", and they seem to have to hit it out of the park with Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Smash Ultimate, MK8, etc.

People want content rich versions of those franchises with a lot of love and care put into them.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I think Prime 4 could do really well if it's:
A. Good
B. Promoted

The Smash thread has a TON of people on it who haven't played Smash ever or in decades. The Switch is doing phenomenally. Prime is unlike anything on the console. It's heavily desired and has been for years. If it got announced as the big game next E3 and was their November game alongside Pokemon I could see it exploding.

Nintendo should really be looking at their back catalogue to take advantage of the new audience they have that ISN'T just interested in casual games. I'm sure Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing will do crazy numbers.

What were the numbers for Kirby?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Attach rate for MK8D could be +1 higher if it ever goes on sale on the eShop. I ain't paying full price again but even a slight discount could convince.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Metroid has limited appeal, if Nintendo sees that it wouldn't be a bad inversion for them (it would get along with xenoblade 2 and bayonetta 3) however Metroid Prime 4 is one of those dream sequels after many years, Nintendo fans are hungry for good Metroid and the Switch audience will listen if Nintendo shows it and looks promising

Unfortunately, dream sequels doesn't always equal sells. Looking at you Sin and Punshiment 2.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
It was a smart idea to unite their audience. Now, no one is picking between the handheld and the console games. No more "I want Pokemon on console" or "I want all Zelda games in one place."

Can't commend Nintendo enough for finally giving everyone what they want.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That sequels for games that fans wanted don't sell well because the internet tends to be an echo chamber?
You can put it however you want. It's not a good comparison. MP4 will be the best selling Metroid game. You can quote me, screenshot this and bring it up to me when the game releases.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I wanna believe that prime 4 will be historic but i get this feeling the west will have to carry the sales weight again like with Prime 3.
If they do it right, then it can propel Metroid into an actual A-tier sales franchines/juggernaut for them. Especially if its ambitious as I'd like it to be.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
MP4 will be big.

Nintendo will put a lot of effort in promoting it and development seems top-notch too.

The only unpredictable factor is quality. If the game is high quality it might even sell 5-6m because the audience is there.

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Thinking about it I either skipped out on, bought used, rented, or borrowed a lot of Nintendo's flagship titles for the past couple of decades, while I bought all of those high attach rate Switch games on day one, so I suppose I'm part of that statistic.

But yeah, just about every one of their flagship Switch titles thus far have been seen as the best games to come out of their respective lines in the past 2-3 generations, so ludicrous attach rates make sense.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say Smash will be joining that 50% attach rate here soon. I can't imagine owning a Switch and not owning the fighting/party game of forever.

twothunder

Feb 10, 2018
pretty crazy but if you pick up a switch.. mario , zelda , kart and smash are some obvious choices.
will keep doing well for years
while not as high. hope Splatoon 2 and DK can keep up a good pace too

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Nintendo's output (in terms of quality) is amazing, so no surprise there. And next year will hopefully as good as well.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I highly doubt that. It's not easy to be at 50% when the Switch hardware continues to sell.
Really? You don't think that most people who purchase a Switch or have purchased a Switch will purchase Smash? I feel like they will, but I suppose only time will tell. Not saying you're wrong, just saying I can't see owning one and not buying Smash. Literally everyone I know, personally at least, with a Switch now owns Smash. That's a rather small sample size mind you, but it's just something I've noted.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really? You don't think that most people who purchase a Switch or have purchased a Switch will purchase Smash? I feel like they will, but I suppose only time will tell. Not saying you're wrong, just saying I can't see owning one and not buying Smash. Literally everyone I know, personally at least, with a Switch now owns Smash. That's a rather small sample size mind you, but it's just something I've noted.

Maybe it can do it, but I don't see it. I get it's super popular too and I'd love for it to do it.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
By the end of next year, Switch will have sold, pessimistically, about 50m units.
By the end of next year, Smash will have sold, optimistically, about 20m units.

Sure, it seems weird that people aren't buying these games, but that's just kind of how it goes for any big game, even system sellers. For example, most PS4 owners did not buy Monster Hunter World, God of War, or Spider-Man this year, despite the huge amount of attention that those games got. Most new PS4 owners certainly did, but when you factor in the existing userbase, it's like... 10% of PS4 owners bought one of those games.

Keep in mind that attach ratio for most consoles is under 10, meaning average console buyers will only ever buy 10 new games for that console, max. And when you weigh in that enthusiasts like us Era posters often buy like 25, 50, or even 100 games for a console, most gamers are only buying a game or two per year. Maybe Smash wasn't high on someone's priority list of 2018 releases. It wasn't on mine. I own about 80 Switch games, and Smash isn't one of them (I'll probably get it soon though).

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
For Prime 4 I think we should keep in mind the industry has changed a lot since 2007. Prime 3 launched before Brawl. That game doubled Samus' exposure and the Metroid series now has 4 reps on the roster. This can't be understated.

The biggest thing though is just the internet. Anticipation/word of mouth spread a lot easier and people are way more informed these days. If a new Switch game releases to critical acclaim people will hear about it. Not so much the case when Prime 3 launched.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
If Metroid Prime 4 actually looks like a Metroid game then it will be the best selling game in the series.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
By the end of next year, Switch will have sold, pessimistically, about 50m units.
By the end of next year, Smash will have sold, optimistically, about 20m units.

Sure, it seems weird that people aren't buying these games, but that's just kind of how it goes for any big game, even system sellers. For example, most PS4 owners did not buy Monster Hunter World, God of War, or Spider-Man this year, despite the huge amount of attention that those games got. Most new PS4 owners certainly did, but when you factor in the existing userbase, it's like... 10% of PS4 owners bought one of those games.

Keep in mind that attach ratio for most consoles is under 10, meaning average console buyers will only ever buy 10 new games for that console, max. And when you weigh in that enthusiasts like us Era posters often buy like 25, 50, or even 100 games for a console, most gamers are only buying a game or two per year. Maybe Smash wasn't high on someone's priority list of 2018 releases. It wasn't on mine. I own about 80 Switch games, and Smash isn't one of them (I'll probably get it soon though).
Huh, yeah I guess that makes sense when you look at it like that. I own somewhere in that ballpark of Switch games, (think I'm closer to around 60 or so), but I guess Smash was definitely a priority for me, but yeah I get what you're saying. I suppose we'll see how it goes though, as didn't Amazon say recently that Smash was it's best selling game of the year? Who knows how things will turn out in the long run?
Regardless, it's awesome to see this type of attach rate for games on the Switch, and I'm particularly, (pleasantly), surprised by the attach rate of Breath of the Wild, as the game can be a bit hardcore, so it's cool to see that so many Switch owners are/were interested in such an investment of time. Very cool stuff.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get the sense that the entire media (and some forum posters) are laser focused on this 20 million mark and we will get extremely different tonal pieces (or posts) if it is met or failed to be met.

Everything these past few months have been "Switch is perfemaning excellently, but I dont know about those 20mil.."

I find it crazy that these three games have such a high attach rate. I will be even more impressed if the attach rate can be maintained for another year.
Hardware shipped has always been the main industry measure for platform success, rightly or wrongly. To be honest now it's not looking likely it'll hit that 20m target, trying to change the narrative at the last minute to 'oh but games sold is the one that really matters' is extremely weird.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
What did you pick up a switch for? From my perspective It's weird that these games aren't all at 70%+attach rates because I can't imagine buying a switch without wanting at least 2/3 of them.
To be honest there's a good chance I'll finish the gen without owning any first party switch games. I bought it as a family device so I've bought Scribblenauts and Minecraft for my son and my wife likes Tumblestone. For me personally I'm more likely to buy smaller titles, strategy, rpg, roguelikes etc.