• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
German here and obviously we understood as kids and used schnick schnack schnuck instead.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oof. It's that overwhelmingly anachronistic racist bit Colbert(character) used to do, but not at all in a satirical way.

f4FQp57l.jpg

Like, what were they thinking? This stuff in 2020 always floors me that people can still be so insensitive and overtly racist. How many quality assurance steps did the product go through, it makes you wonder.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Trying to play this off as "it's a children's game therefore not racist" is dumb because:

a. What does rock-paper-scissors have to do with rice/Asian proverbs if the phrase is "innocent" on its own without any racist context, and

b. A racist word/phrase/imagery being used for children's entertainment doesn't make it any less racist and hurtful. Maybe there's no longer intentional racism, but... okay why does that matter at all?

Dark Knight - I've seen that bit before and I get it's satire but yeah it's kinda weird to see. It's nice he's trying to... I guess, highlight racism against Asians and the dismissals of it, but definitely as an Asian there's a bit of this ... o_O meh gut feeling.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Knight - I've seen that bit before and I get it's satire but yeah it's kinda weird to see. It's nice he's trying to... I guess, highlight racism against Asians and the dismissals of it, but definitely as an Asian there's a bit of this ... o_O meh gut feeling.
Oh I'm not saying that bit was okay at all, it rubbed me the wrong way back in the day too. It was one of his laziest jokes, and not worth the effort to air it. It was intended to be a shock laugh I think. You got to imagine that wouldn't have even been a bit if Colbert Report were on today.

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that his apology seems sincere (not that my take matters that much). But the part that reads odd to me is "I am a human being with democratic values and a tolerant attitude - like everyone with rice hunger." It just reads like weird marketing, like "I'm a fresh dude like anyone who likes to do the dew!" I'm sure it's not intentional, just sticks out to me.
The translation is fairly poor here. What he is saying is that everyone at Reishunger (the company) shares those values

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Pipe down. I clearly came into this thread trying to understand and learn and gave an honest description of what my point of view is. Just because others have already learned about the meaning does not mean they represent Germany more than me. The opposite is more likely. Ask any German boomer you can find on the street what their association with that phrase is.

It is important to educate people about behavior that is hurtful to others. Because it definitely can be the case that is unintentional. The world is growing increasingly smaller thanks to technology and mass transportation, but our cultures have not yet adapted. Not everyone around the world will know what is considered racist in America. Just as I am sure you do now know every nuance of German culture.
This has nothing to do with America. This is racist against Chinese people.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Well, supposedly, in Germany this isn't a big deal (lulz).

I mean, I kinda hope that's not true, and facebook comments aren't supposed to be anything to go by buttttttttttttttttttttttttt in my personal, limited, experience Europeans don't exactly have the best ... awareness.... of racism against East Asians (and not really any minorities tbh).

Even on era we frequently get "actually, racism doesn't exist in europe, it's an America only problem" types of posts

edit: lmao, should have read the thread:

Pipe down. I clearly came into this thread trying to understand and learn and gave an honest description of what my point of view is. Just because others have already learned about the meaning does not mean they represent Germany more than me. The opposite is more likely. Ask any German boomer you can find on the street what their association with that phrase is.

It is important to educate people about behavior that is hurtful to others. Because it definitely can be the case that is unintentional. The world is growing increasingly smaller thanks to technology and mass transportation, but our cultures have not yet adapted. Not everyone around the world will know what is considered racist in America. Just as I am sure you do now know every nuance of German culture.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I see, so this is an American thing. It is not used like this in German that I am aware of. Just an innocent childrens game. I can see how that product text can read exactly like that though. So I can't really say whether it was an honest mistake or not, but it is possible.

I see we've entered the phase of discussions about racism on Era where once it's pointed out to them, someone's claimed it's an American problem and not a European one. Getting flashbacks to zwarte piet discussions.

Also, unsurprisingly, this is just this poster's blindspot speaking and isn't true for Germany as a whole:

German here and obviously we understood as kids and used schnick schnack schnuck instead.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
so...the company behind the racist product admits it's racist, apologizes for it, and promise to do better. But then you have people in this very thread going
"well, back in my days, it's not racism" or "Where I'm from, it's not racism"

Word of advice for anyone trying to defend the phrase. Be like the company, apologize, admit it's racism, and promise to do better. Do not double down, whitesplain, or dismiss concerns from minorities affected by those phrases.

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
German here, as kids we constantly used "Ching Chang Chong" for Rock Paper Scissors. Back then i wasn't even aware that this was associated with insults against Chinese people or the language. I just thought that's the expression that goes along with the game without any futher meaning to it.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know why you are talking about "considered racist in America", which implies that it's not racist in Germany and elsewhere in the world. That's not how racism works. Just because large parts of a population are still ignorant to certain issues doesn't mean that these issues don't exist in that country. Just ask any "Asian looking" German how often in their lives they had to endure hurtful "ching chang chong" jokes.

Also, I haven't heard anyone referring to the game as "ching chang chong" in ages. It's almost always "schnick schnack schnuck" these days.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
German here, as kids we constantly used "Ching Chang Chong" for Rock Paper Scissors. Back then i wasn't even aware that this was associated with insults against Chinese people or the language. I just thought that's the expression that goes along with the game without any futher meaning to it.
That's often how racist thoughts and concepts persist, by allowing time and ubiquity to whittle them down to the point that they're completely innocuous. We're all guilty of using racist terminology that we didn't know was racist at the time, but what really matters is that once you're made aware of it you stop using the phrase and educate others.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I see, so this is an American thing. It is not used like this in German that I am aware of. Just an innocent childrens game. I can see how that product text can read exactly like that though. So I can't really say whether it was an honest mistake or not, but it is possible.
As far as I'm aware, this nursery rhyme is German.

(Via https://www.gemi-berlin.de/2016/06/06/ching-chang-chong-nein-danke/, though it's easy to find elsewhere.)
Ching Chang Chong Chinese im Karton. Chinese in die Ecke scheißen, Fliegen rumkreisen

Those sounds are not a coincidence, clearly.

But of course, I'm sure anti-Asian racism is non-existent in Germany. /s
Eaq6Un4UcAAuPff
Eaq6UoIVAAAZe51

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
That's often how racist thoughts and concepts persist, by allowing time and ubiquity to whittle them down to the point that they're completely innocuous. We're all guilty of using racist terminology that we didn't know was racist at the time, but what really matters is that once you're made aware of it you stop using the phrase and educate others.

Reishunger's apology even makes note of this insidious nature of everyday racism, but certain people don't hear past the first word in that phrase because, in their minds, if something happens every day it can't be racist.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
That was somehow worse than I expected. An Asian expression? Really? That reminds me of the time I met someone who literally thought "Asian" was a language.

And after doing some reading, it seems some Germans used to use that "expression" for rock paper scissors in the past...
I was wondering if this was german completly missing reishunger as a german brand. But yeah i remember playing rpc with those words, but years have passed but a lot of old people still have high positions without quite understanding some social changes. I would posit that i've seen german folk being as clueless about blackface as some japanese television shows.

OP
OP
Pet

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Oh I'm not saying that bit was okay at all, it rubbed me the wrong way back in the day too. It was one of his laziest jokes, and not worth the effort to air it. It was intended to be a shock laugh I think. You got to imagine that wouldn't have even been a bit if Colbert Report were on today.
TBH I'm not sure if it would not be on Colbert Report before.

You know literally nothing about me other than my nationality. How about you check your own way of thinking in stereotypes for a moment.
You're right about that, and I do apologize for assuming. I made an assumption that a minority in a place where they are not the hegemonic color would not be so dismissive about racist comments, thus I assumed you were part of the white hegemony. But, I agree, that is an assumption so my bad.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, I've been seeing a lot of the latter lately. Well, for me, it's "CHINESE ISN'T A RACIST SO THE BIGOTED THING I SAID ISN'T RACIST."

The whole, "Asians aren't poor [btw this is a lie] so discrimination doesn't matter [also a lie]" is super annoying too.

I hope you realize this makes no sense, AND, as evidenced by people in Germany from this thread (and around the world)... it is NOT "just" an "innocent" children's game, but rather a hurtful racist insult. Something "innocently" yelled by children can *still* be hurtful and racist.

Please don't be so dismissive of racism. You might have unintentional racist tendencies/behaviors. The right way to react to something you did that is racist, is not to double-down and attempt to convince yourself that your behavior isn't *reallllyyy* racist and instead everyone else is wrong, but to realize that an action was racist and not to repeat such actions in the future.
Yeah, "they have better social status", when a lot of my Asian friends came from Vietnam, from really poor backgrounds. Infuriating really.

I don't know why you are talking about "considered racist in America", which implies that it's not racist in Germany and elsewhere in the world. That's not how racism works. Just because large parts of a population are still ignorant to certain issues doesn't mean that these issues don't exist in that country. Just ask any "Asian looking" German how often in their lives they had to endure hurtful "ching chang chong" jokes.

Also, I haven't heard anyone referring to the game as "ching chang chong" in ages. It's almost always "schnick schnack schnuck" these days.
Yeah, just bc it was normalized somewhere in the past doesn't mean it isn't racist crap. Back in my days some people still said "kannste vergasen" (you can gas/forget that, background being the gas chambers in concentration camps). Sure lots of people didn't make that comnection but I knew it was crap and anyone could. People should educate themselves.