• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
maxresdefault.jpg

I don't know if this deserves a thread but I need to share my excitement with everybody:

Five years after their amazing fourth studio album (Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action) the British band is (finally!) making a return on their own after a little side project on 2015 with Sparks with a new record called Always Ascending due to drop on February 9th and from which you can now listen to its first single.

Important note to some fans that might not have been following closely the band this last couple of years: Nick McCarthy was not involved in the recording of the new album and has no plans to tour with the band at the moment while also adding some new talent to the 'roster': Dino Bardot as a direct replacement and Julian Corrie to handle the keys.

"Wait a minute, did you say tour?" Why, yes! And it actually starts today, here are the first few dates, (you can check the rest of them right here)

8DAhz4n.png

"Hey they actually sound pretty cool but I don't know any other songs from them" No problem! I'll leave some links to their more iconic and what I consider must-listen songs from the band right below:

-Take Me Out
-The Dark of the Matinée
-Darts of Pleasure
- Do You Want To

- Walk Away
- No You Girls
- Katherine Kiss Me
- Evil Eye
- Love Illumination
- Stand On The Horizon
- Bullet

Who else is excited y'all!?

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what I'm just so fucking happy this forum is doing well that I'm posting just for the hell of it and because Franz Ferdinand was always such a great name.

OP
OP
The_Strokes

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
You know what I'm just so fucking happy this forum is doing well that I'm posting just for the hell of it and because Franz Ferdinand was always such a great name.

While you're at it, you should give them a listen if you haven't!

And yeah, if I were still at the other forum I don't know if I would've even consider making this thread, honestly, ResetEra has such a cool vibe to it right now I figured why not :P.

afroguy10

Keeping it 100K
Oct 25, 2017
British band not performing any dates in Britain, especially so in Scotland :(. Shame, it'd have been nice to see them live.

afroguy10

Keeping it 100K
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, ignore me, I thought the tour dates in the post above were the only ones haha. Hmm, might look into this now

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I was high on their last album as some other people but I am always down for more Franz Ferdinand.

Yeah, loving the single, its been too long. Thanks for the heads up, OP!

OP
OP
The_Strokes

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yeah, heard about this on SiriusXMU earlier this week, but haven't heard the new song till now. Hopefully it's another solid album. Had zero clues about band changes. Digging what I'm hearing so far.

Oct 26, 2017
I am a big fan of the first two FF albums, but I felt their sound changed way too much after that point. So much so that it felt as though I was listening to a different band (with the same lead singer). FF started out (in my opinion) as a refreshing take on rock music with catchy tunes that could be enjoyed by almost everyone universally, but then morphed into a strange and experimental sound that at many points just left me feeling awkward. I think the biggest example of this was the version of "Lucid Dreams" that released on their third album. The original mix is a fantastic, "traditional" FF song, whereas the mix on the album is (again, in my opinion) ruined by sampling the original rather than being a different iteration of the song and a load of unnecessary effects. When I heard that, I just walked away. (<- Look, a little reference/joke)

I totally get and respect their desire not to do the same thing over and over again, just sadly the direction they took didn't really align with what I look for in music. That said, I'm happy they're back, and I'll certainly give the new album a listen when it listens.

On a side note, FF were the first band I ever saw live at the ripe old age of 13!

OP
OP
The_Strokes

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Yeah, i'm not that big on their third album HandsomeCharles but I really feel if you give the fourth one a listen you'll fall in love with it. It still has some experimental sounds but other tracks are just back to basics in a brilliant way.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked their debut and their second album. Haven't kept up with them much since.

I did click on this thread though cuz your username is my favorite band EVER.

Reick17

Oct 25, 2017
Their first album is fantastic, but I didn't like the 2nd one and stopped after that. Were the other two any good, as in like the debut album?

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I liked their earlier stuff then didn't hear anything from them for years till Todd Terje remixed a couple of tunes, those were great too.
I'll listen to the single in a minute...