ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
What are my options? I purchased an old N64 and some games for my girlfriend's birthday and quickly discovered how all over the place the N64 used market is in 2020. Lots of questionable quality reproduction carts passed off as original, and a generally high price threshold for most things (that we would want).

The controller that game with the console I got is original, but may have had the stick replaced or repaired at some point and it's just not very comfortable to use. It's very stiff, and it doesn't feel like anything we want to play with long term.

What options do we have for reliable, comfortable N64 controllers in 2020? Reproduction are fine as long as we can find a manufacturer that is trusted. We really just want something that will last us well enough to play through Ocarina of Time, and then some controllers for her and her friends to enjoy a Mario Party (not the first one) and some Perfect Dark/GoldenEye.

What should I be looking for? What should I be avoiding? Not trying to break the bank.

May 19, 2020
I feel like I see no shortage of official N64 controllers in retro game shops that may need a basic tuneup/cleaning. It's either one of those or a Hori Mini Pad if you feel like spending big money on ebay. Don't bother with some aftermarket crap.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I got myself a Retro Fighters Brawler64 back when they were running a Kickstarter so I could finally play Mickey's Speedway USA and Diddy Kong Racing without killing my thumb. It's $30 on the official website and feels great to use, I highly recommend it.

62ab4ecf-27dd-43aa-8cf0-afd126caeb9a_1.cbfe2d6badb4a45d82af118dfbd14a95.jpeg

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I got myself a Retro Fighters Brawler64 back when they were running a Kickstarter so I could finally play Mickey's Speedway USA and Diddy Kong Racing without killing my thumb. It's $30 on the official website and feels great to use, I highly recommend it.

Yeah not used it myself, but heard this is good.

sephghast

Oct 25, 2017

I have one of these too. Works really well, super comfy.

OP
OP
ghostemoji

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the tips everyone. I think I might just try to see if any of the local retro shops are open again yet, then maybe look at some of these other options. Kicking myself for giving my GameCube stuff away a few years ago now.

Deleted member 24097

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What are my options? I purchased an old N64 and some games for my girlfriend's birthday and quickly discovered how all over the place the N64 used market is in 2020. Lots of questionable quality reproduction carts passed off as original, and a generally high price threshold for most things (that we would want).

The controller that game with the console I got is original, but may have had the stick replaced or repaired at some point and it's just not very comfortable to use. It's very stiff, and it doesn't feel like anything we want to play with long term.

What options do we have for reliable, comfortable N64 controllers in 2020? Reproduction are fine as long as we can find a manufacturer that is trusted. We really just want something that will last us well enough to play through Ocarina of Time, and then some controllers for her and her friends to enjoy a Mario Party (not the first one) and some Perfect Dark/GoldenEye.

What should I be looking for? What should I be avoiding? Not trying to break the bank.

Original N64 controller sticks have parts that are very sensitive to grinding.
Due to that, it is almost impossible to find a fully original controller in perfect working condition nowadays.

At one point a few years ago, some companies came up with knock-off replacement stick assemblies that were installed by hobbyists into their controllers, but those are absolutely atrocious.
This is unfortunately what might have happened to your controller. The stiffness at least points towards that, as excessive stiffness was, at least in my experience, a universal issue with the knockoffs.

These days, however, thanks to the advent of 3D printers, it is very easy to find 3D printed replacement parts to repair damaged parts in the original sticks.
The procedure is fairly straightforward: open the controller, take off the analog stick, open the analog stick assembly, replace the parts, and reassemble the whole thing (adding some grease in to prevent damage down the line will basically ensure an excellent longevity to the repaired stick).
Only potential downside in your case: it requires the controller to have the original stick assembly. If it has been replaced with a knockoff, I'd suggest buying a cheap controller with a "busted stick", and doing the repair.

Edit:
Here, the "gear set" parts are the ones you usually need to repair an original stick:
store.kitsch-bent.com

Kitsch-Bent

Serviam

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Google for replacement sticks. Bought GCN ones replacing the sticks of all my N64 controllers. Works great, feels like new and no more "powder looseness".
The procedure of installing them is really easy too.

Oct 29, 2017
You can now get replacement analog sticks that slot into the official controllers. They're built like Gamecube analog sticks, so they'll never grind away.

Did it for all four of my N64 controllers and never looked back! Can't recommend it enough!

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019

This is what I have as well. I got it from Stone Age Gamer. They're out of stock right now, but they were having a sale at 8%. They might still if you buy it and when they restock you'll get it.

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If you're going to go aftermarket for something new, I suggest only the Brawler64 and Tribute64. Both are high quality new aftermarket controllers.

All of the aftermarket controllers that look like OG N64 pads are absolutely trash and should be avoided.

I actually like the Brawler and Tribute more than the OG controller in some ways.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I must be incredibly lucky as both of my n64 controllers still work good as new. Never played Mario Party though :p

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
I must be incredibly lucky as both of my n64 controllers still work good as new. Never played Mario Party though :p
For me it wasn't so much the concern of durability as it was the stick was destroying my thumb after an intense Mario 64 session of trying to do the frame walk at Jolly Roger and the star in the cage skip at Whomp's Fortress.

Oct 25, 2017
I hear any third party ones have massive drifts. I would love a usb 64 controller that worked well.
Most third party controllers were crappy even when they were first released. I have a couple of OG N64 controllers that still work fine.

I think this is the one system where I prefer using a more modern controller when I play on the original hardware. The N64 controller is such a bad design.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017

This is mind blowing...nintendo where was your hardware design team in the mid 90s

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
If you have gamecube controllers., what about this?
https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_to_n64_adapter_v3_with_builtin_controller_pak/index.php
I like to play N64 games with a gamecube controller and the stick is more relaiable!

This is the way to go with 2 caveats. The first one is that the gamecube camera stick works in place of the c buttons. So any game that actually uses the c buttons as buttons isn't optimal. The second is the gamecube dpad is pretty useless due to it's size and positioning. The upside is that the raphnet adapter works with wavebirds so you can play wireless.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018

Yup. This is the one.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
Retro Fighters is good, definitely recommend that one.

I also replaced the busted analog on my official controller with a Gamecube-style one that feels good to use too, so modding a cheap, used, official controller is an option too.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Definitely going the replacement joystick route, I enjoy holding and N64 controller too much. Since we're here and I'm shopping, anyone have opinions on the hyperkin N64/snes/gc HDMI adapter? I need a cheap solution because I can't spend $150 on a modded solution, and I only need it because my TV does something weird with the N64 where it gets green lines showing.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017

I got a set of these too, but haven't used them yet. Glad to know they feel good.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I went for OEM controllers in good condition. I've been playing Mario party, and I have no problems rotating with two fingers to win mini games.

Gamecube controller on Wii emulated 64 games, it doesn't have the full range. 2nd stage special level in star fox 64 is impossible with the cube controller.

Frunkalicious

Oct 28, 2017
Since we're here and I'm shopping, anyone have opinions on the hyperkin N64/snes/gc HDMI adapter? I need a cheap solution because I can't spend $150 on a modded solution, and I only need it because my TV does something weird with the N64 where it gets green lines showing.
Cheapest and best solution is getting a RAD2x cable from retrogamingcables. It is a line doubler that adds no lag whatsoever.
No modding required, plug and play. The N64 only outputs composite by default so it wont look amazing but it is the best easy solution for sure.

Otherwise, maybe get a retrotink 2x. Its the same as the cable above but you can use it for other systems aswell.

Or maybe you want to go down the RGB rabbit hole and mod your N64 and connect it to a OSSC?

EDIT:

Since you asked specifically about the Hyperkin hdmi cable, I'll just add that other options are all video scalers, ie they have to render atleast 1 frame, which adds lag. Video scalers vary alot in quality and speed. Chances are your TV would do a better job at scaling the signal, given the chance. Alot of bad stuff is out there, and even more bad advice. There is a good reason why products like the Framemeister XRGB(scaler) and OSSC(converter) exists.

I'd say a proper converter is always preferable.

These games where made for CRTs with no lag. Modern displays already add lag so you'd want to keep as low as possible. This is one of the advantages of playing on original hardware.

RetroTINK and RAD2x are absolutely the best choices, considering your scenario. I'd go as far as to say you should avoid pretty much anything else when it comes to plug-n-play cables.

Last edited: