• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Since the launch of PS4 and PS4 Pro, several legendary franchises have been reborn for PS4, with rebuilt graphics and refined gameplay. But it takes a lot of hard work and technical know-how to reimagine these games for a PS4 generation.

To get more insight, we asked the developers behind several impressive remakes — including the eagerly awaited MediEvil and Resident Evil 2 — to provide an inside look at their development process.

MediEvil

It has been no easy task bringing Sir Dan back from the dead but Other Ocean Emeryville is always ready for a challenge.

To keep this remake as true to the original as possible, our first step was to extract all the level geometry from the original game and then place it into the new engine to serve as our map for the placement of every tree, building, wall, etc. Once placed, we get a very strange version of Gallowmere that doesn't quite feel like home just yet.

To make Dan feel more at home, we then review each piece of low resolution PS1 art, compare it to the PS1 concept art we have, and then develop our own concepts to update the visuals, all while keeping an eye on matching the tone of the original game. Every piece of art, from tombstones to timepieces and everything in between, has been reinterpreted, reconcepted, and remade. Thanks, art team!

Aside from the straightforward art updates, we also need to consider our draw distance is now no longer cut cut short from a black fog just feet away from Dan and our aspect ratio has shifted from a boxy 4:3 to a cinematic 16:9. This requires us to build out areas in the distance that didn't even exist in the original game – so much more for one-eyed Dan to see!

With all that extra space, we've had to fill in some gaps. In Enchanted Earth on PS1, for example, many of the trees you see are just bitmaps. We've created tons of trees and foliage to fill in those gaps and make this level really come to life.

In doing so, we hope to create a greater sense of the world of Gallowmere and all its fabled creatures, critters and creepy locations!

For Gallowmere!

-Bobby Hopper, Associate Producer at Other Ocean
https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...h-medievil-resident-evil-2-and-spyro-for-ps4/

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Right?! I just started playing Jak 1 on PS4 last night, and it really feels like the game could do with the old remaster treatment. Gameplay and character animations still hold up really well, but the levels and character models just look outdated and sparse.

Spyro and Crash have given me hope.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
I don't think Resident Evil 2 should be put alongside these. They're not in the same category of remakes; it's a whole new "reimagining" as opposed to a 1:1 remake. In essence, it's an entirely new game where even if you played the original to death, this will completely catch you off guard. Unlike the other games here, the remake of RE2 merely looks at it original counterpart as a guide/flowchart instead of simply recreating it identically.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
RE2 is out of place in this list, this is more than a remake compared to Crash, Spyro and MediEvil.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
We seriously don't need PS2 and PS3 games to be remade, a competent remaster would be sufficient

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We seriously don't need PS2 and PS3 games to be remade, a competent remaster would be sufficient
Yeah I tend agree. They transition more smoothly than the rather blocky looking and awkwardly controlling PS1 games. Spyro 1 isn't a game you an upres and make a few slight adjustments and call it a day, but you can easily do as much for a Sly or Jak.

That being said, Ratchet and Clank does prove that even PS2 games can use an upgrade sometimes.

Dec 15, 2017
The article is wrong… giving the impression that all those games are PS4 exclusives. The only game made for the PS4 is Medievil, all the others are multiplat.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yup a Xbox or X style free remaster is something I want. I'm not buying $40+ remasters anymore.

RE2 obviously doesn't count because it's a full blown remake. I'm ok with spending a normal amount on those.

Oct 25, 2017
Now let's get Demon's Souls reborn on the PS4.

giphy.gif

Seriously, Sony needs to get it.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah I tend agree. They transition more smoothly than the rather blocky looking and awkwardly controlling PS1 games. Spyro 1 isn't a game you an upres and make a few slight adjustments and call it a day, but you can easily do as much for a Sly or Jak.

That being said, Ratchet and Clank does prove that even PS2 games can use an upgrade sometimes.

Yeah, most PS2 games when running in HD and 60fps are fine

Yeah we seriously do the sky is the limit.

If the sky is the limit then why waste time remaking games that are perfectly playable as it is? Why not remake Bloodborne every 3 years if we're going to go down that road?

You're free to want whatever you want, but it will be a waste to remake games that don't really need to be remade

Demon's Souls on PS4 at 60fps would be great, you don't need to remake the entire thing to get it on PS4, and I wouldn't trust the judgement of someone who thinks that is essential

Yup a Xbox or X style free remaster is something I want. I'm not buying $40+ remasters anymore.

RE2 obviously doesn't count because it's a full blown remake. I'm ok with spending a normal amount on those.

Yeah this is what I mean, give me remasters, I want those classic games with QoL improvements, most PS2/3 games are not going to get that much better by tediously remaking them

Last edited:

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Jak & Daxter Trilogy remade for current gen would be a dream come true. But it's not going to happen :(

Resident Evil 2 is a must buy. It looks incredible.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to say, the games being remade this gen are really good choices.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Right?! I just started playing Jak 1 on PS4 last night, and it really feels like the game could do with the old remaster treatment. Gameplay and character animations still hold up really well, but the levels and character models just look outdated and sparse.

Spyro and Crash have given me hope.
The Jak trilogy had a half-decent remaster on PS3 a few years ago. Unfortunately the PS4 is only emulating the PS2 original and it actually has a worse resolution and framerate than the PS3 version.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Resident Evil 2 should be put alongside these. They're not in the same category of remakes; it's a whole new "reimagining" as opposed to a 1:1 remake. In essence, it's an entirely new game where even if you played the original to death, this will completely catch you off guard. Unlike the other games here, the remake of RE2 merely looks at it original counterpart as a guide/flowchart instead of simply recreating it identically.

Yeah, I think it's inclusion is funny because of this and also the fact it isn't any sort of exclusive.

RE2 is a full-throated remake with modern tech, a budget l, and all that affords. The other games are basically touched up PS1 re-releases.

Eh.