Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
13b66d0882f7f174db323a43d4b056e94246fbed.jpg

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Podcast 47 is up:
The biggest news of the week, obviously, is Sony's fight to add PSN to Helldi…no, wait, it's actually Nintendo confirming the next Swi…huh, no, it's Microsoft shutting down Tango Gameworks and creating a (new) existential crisis for the Xbox brand. Phew. But Patrick, Rob, Janet, and Cado are here to unpack it all, including thoughts on Indika, Manor Lords, and Little Kitty, Big City. We also spend a shockingly long time talking about Apple's weird new iPad ad.

Also looks like they will attempt to incorporate Twitch's schedule feature for their streams.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
The big news is that Janet got engaged!!! Congrats Janet!!!!!!

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
If Rob reads this thread, you need to talk about Homeworld 3 on the pod this week.
I'm sure he will if he's had time to play it, but he mentioned on Bluesky that he didn't get a review code.

Rob Zacny (@robzacny.bsky.social)

Not to be all "do you know who I am?" but uh... I feel like the fact I did not receive any PR outreach *at all* about Homeworld 3 is not a good sign about whoever had that account?

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I love Rob but that's kind of a shitty thing to say

He goes into more context in that bluesky thread. It's the same for another colleague who's covered their games extensively- no PR emails for 5 years. Most of this stuff gets farmed out, it's a valid criticism when their game is out in 3 days and there's very little promoting being done at all. Doesn't mean the game is gonna be bad, but someone is dropping the ball.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I love Rob but that's kind of a shitty thing to say
Yeah, I'm not sure implying the PR team are dumb because they didn't send him a code is a great look haha

He goes into more context in that bluesky thread. It's the same for another colleague who's covered their games extensively- no PR emails for 5 years. Most of this stuff gets farmed out, it's a valid criticism when their game is out in 3 days and there's very little promoting being done at all. Doesn't mean the game is gonna be bad, but someone is dropping the ball.

I agree it's valid criticism, but it doesn't really need to be public criticism. Surely he has the means and the contacts to just reach out to the team directly and see what's going on

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Then he probably should have led with that. I agree with the sentiment just not the phrasing.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Yeah, I'm not sure implying the PR team are dumb because they didn't send him a code is a great look haha

I agree it's valid criticism, but it doesn't really need to be public criticism. Surely he has the means and the contacts to just reach out to the team directly and see what's going on

He didn't say anything about a code. He said they hadn't reached out *at all*. I'd say that's probably what makes it odd enough to talk about publicly, especially when it's happening to other media types, not just him. But I'd agree it kinda reads like an unnecessary shot, he at least could have phrased it better.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
The PR people or firm haven't reached out to people who has covered the games extensively in the past and he's wondering if that means there's some issue with that side of the company. Not sure I get what the issue is.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The PR people or firm haven't reached out to people who has covered the games extensively in the past and he's wondering if that means there's some issue with that side of the company. Not sure I get what the issue is.
There's no issue with him wondering that. Just point your wonder in the direction of the people who can help. DM Blackbird or Gearbox or something

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I was sure this thread activity was going to be about Rob AirTagging his window screens to potentially catch an assumed window screen thief...

Complaining about a failure of PR seems like a pretty normal thing to do on social media. Sometimes you just post things. You're not always looking for the optimal solution vector in which to air your complaints.

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mean to misrepresent Rob's post by posting it here. I assumed no outreach also meant no review incoming. He backpedals a bit in the replies while also mentioning that other strategy people he knows hadn't received anything either. That said he also links to friend of the show Cameron Kunzelman's review of it on Polygon.

On topic for last Friday's pod: I was disappointed no one got to the low hanging The Blur Witch Project joke at the end of the episode.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Given how Rob and Patrick (and Austin further back at Waypoint) have talked about PR communications, I think it's a safe assumption that they attempted to probe different avenues or knew the [metaphorical] score on getting a response before posting.

I was sure this thread activity was going to be about Rob AirTagging his window screens to potentially catch an assumed window screen thief...
If anyone hasn't read the "This Week at Remap" editorial by Rob, do so. Just another peak absurdity in living in the space that he currently does. Hopefully it makes it into HOA.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I always enjoy the interviews and this weeks was also really good. Recommend to anyone even if you don't know the interviewee (Xavier Nelson Jr) as they talk more about the general subject of storywriting in games and not focused on anything directly that you would need to be invested in.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
During the fireside chat podcast they mention a game revolving around a mech courier. I looked on the Strange Scaffold website but didn't see anything that seemed to fit that bill. Was that something else they were talking about rather than an explict Strange Scaffold game?

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
During the fireside chat podcast they mention a game revolving around a mech courier. I looked on the Strange Scaffold website but didn't see anything that seemed to fit that bill. Was that something else they were talking about rather than an explict Strange Scaffold game?

They also talked about this on one of the interview segments for the Ludonarrative thing. I think maybe it isn't out yet, but I'm not 100% sure

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
The Homeworld 3 discussion was interesting. I always assumed Rob was good-to-great at RTS games given how much he operates in the strategy space.

RTS is one of those genres where i'm like 'is anyone actually good at these' (beyond tank rushing, the only tactic i know)

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
I got decently into (watching) the Starcraft 2 competitive scene when it first came out. The things people can do in that game are wild.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was going to say. There is a clip of someone zerg rushing their army *between" individual bombs landing from the other sides tanks, as they use crazy accuracy to avoid hits and get their army there in one piece.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i'm not saying i don't recognise other people are recognised as good. it's that i don't have any idea what is going on

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Was not expecting 'Senua, you suck donkey balls' this week. Always taking me off guard.

You know I played through Crow Country and enjoyed it, but as someone who frequently replays the original RE games (specifically 1-3, with a dash of Code Veronica depending on the mood) I have a lot of the same feelings about it as a do Signalis in that I see the inspiration it takes, but it honestly doesn't really feel like those games all that much.

So I kind of arrive at the same conclusion from a different angle I feel like, because it's almost like you have to have nostalgia for that, but a sort of detached nostalgia for someone who hasn't played them in a long time or maybe even never really liked how they played much.

I don't really think any of these retro throwbacks capture the feel of those original REs all that much in the end, largely because they are too afraid of having tank controls and fixed camera angles because they're terrified players are going to spit that up since almost none of them ever caught on that you play that with the d-pad and not the joystick. But even beyond that no one has ever really grasped the flow of the level design of those games either.

Sad those games are on the cusp of being lost to time.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Patrick standing up for all of us DmC enjoyers - truly a man of fine taste.

Also I can confirm that I never really liked original Resident Evil all that much and I thought Signalis was pretty much GOTY material - absolutely loved it. That's also probably because while Signalis is obviously heavily inspired by Resident Evil and Silent Hill - games I never cared for - it ALSO draws heavily on 90's anime in certain respects which I have a much bigger fondness for.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i understand the DmC definitive edition was pretty dope and also it never came to PC

also very funny that rob kept calling it Journey to the West. It was called Enslaved, but yep it was pretty much just Journey to the West (except they made the chaste monk a sexy hot post-apoc mechanic babe I think?)

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
i understand the DmC definitive edition was pretty dope and also it never came to PC

also very funny that rob kept calling it Journey to the West. It was called Enslaved, but yep it was pretty much just Journey to the West (except they made the chaste monk a sexy hot post-apoc mechanic babe I think?)
It was a different time

Enslaved-Pre-Order-Robot-Trip-Image.jpg

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Wild how's it's been a year, in some ways it doesn't seem like it's been that long and other ways it feels like it's been much longer.