• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Aug 27, 2018

In a sit-down with IGN, creative director Sam Lake was asked about what Remedy might do with the Alan Wake license, or if a sequel could happen. Lake says it's something he's been working on "on and off ever since the first game."

"I haven't said this publicly but, between each project, after the first game, with a smaller crew, we created a concept for a sequel," Lake told IGN. From the way Lake discusses them, they sound like general concepts, but they eventually found their way into later games, including spinoff American Nightmare, Quantum Break, and even Control. The team tried it after the first, and again after Quantum Break. From the sounds of it, this has been a recurring inquiry for Remedy.

MOD EDIT: added quote from article

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
If it doesn`t feel like Alan Wake then don`t do it. I´m sure Control will be great and there will be a time to release a proper Alan Wake sequel.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Are people reading the article? It's not that they can't get it made, its that they haven't had an idea good enough to make a sequel worthy of the original.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sure they'll find someone.

It's going to be a hard pitch. The game sold decently, but didn't set the world on fire. And if it's a multi-platform game, it'd be difficult to pitch a sequel given that the original games were exclusive to PC and Xbox - which is important since it's largely a narrative experience. They'd probably be better off doing a standalone game in the Alan Wake universe.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Article since the OP won't do it.
In a sit-down with IGN, creative director Sam Lake was asked about what Remedy might do with the Alan Wake license, or if a sequel could happen. Lake says it's something he's been working on "on and off ever since the first game."

"I haven't said this publicly but, between each project, after the first game, with a smaller crew, we created a concept for a sequel," Lake told IGN. From the way Lake discusses them, they sound like general concepts, but they eventually found their way into later games, including spinoff American Nightmare, Quantum Break, and even Control. The team tried it after the first, and again after Quantum Break. From the sounds of it, this has been a recurring inquiry for Remedy.

"Coming out of Quantum Break, we created a concept, a new concept, very different, for Alan Wake 2," Lake says. "We were looking at it, we were talking about it with potential partners. Ultimately we came to the conclusion that this doesn't feel like Alan Wake."

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
After watching the interview, it sounds like ms rejected a final pitch after quantum break before they decided to walk away from the partnership

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Article since the OP won't do it.

Hmmm, so basically it can go anywhere really. It seems he/they still don't really have a concept worthy enough for a sequel.

I do hope at some point it will be made. I loved the first game, American Nightmare not so much. The atmosphere was fantastic in AW and it sure was spooky too. QB was great stuff in there that really shows the potential of this developer and what they could do for a AW2, but that's mostly about visuals and animations I'm talking about.

After watching the interview, it sounds like ms rejected a final pitch after quantum break before they decided to walk away from the partnership

A final pitch of AW2?

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'd buy a remaster of AW1 on PS4 day one. If they don't have any great ideas for 2 I get it. But I'd love to play back through the first one in higher res, trophies etc.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Put on Kickstarter then, I'll support the fuck out of it, even if it is a small game like American Nightmare.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
*unpopular opinion warning*

I hate to say it, but given the tedious shitshow that American Nightmare was, perhaps it's for the best.

And absolutely love most of Remedy's stuff, including Quantum Break.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are people reading the article? It's not that they can't get it made, its that they haven't had an idea good enough to make a sequel worthy of the original.
Waiting on someone pointing the blame at big X next

I mean. Not at all. How did you get that?

"Coming out of Quantum Break, we created a concept, a new concept, very different, for Alan Wake 2," Lake says. "We were looking at it, we were talking about it with potential partners. Ultimately we came to the conclusion that this doesn't feel like Alan Wake."

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Gimme. AW is my favorite story/game ever.

The fact that they keep turning each possible sequel into a new game gives me hope that they have set such a high internal hurdle, that only something great will come.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Alan Wake was so good. Like a really well done proceedural that you binge through to see what happens.
Also some people didnt like the combat but I actually thought it was pretty clever. And it was always intense.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love an Alan Wake sequel more than anything, but if Remedy themselves can't nail it then it's probably for the best that it's been dormant.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really didn't take long for someone to assume the lack of an AW2 was on Microsoft, or suggest that Sony should fund publish a sequel.

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Someone still has to fund it.
0497kp6.png

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'll continue to pitch my idea that an Alan Wake sequel needs to switch gears and have players play as ALICE Wake, his wife.

Alan Wake was a complicated game that was also 1/2 of a dysfunctional marriage where we saw his side of events while playing through a narrative orchestrated by him to "rescue the damsel in distress", like it was an old-school fairy tale and his wife was just waiting for him burst in and slay the dragon like a traditional hero, as if that fixes the issues they had in their relationship.

Reverse it. Play as Alice tracking down rumors of her husband's whereabouts only to find herself caught up in the next story he's creating, one where she's the protagonist. ALICE is actually the one with a literal phobia of the dark, so playing as her as she has to fight the living embodiment of her deepest fears to rescue the man she both loves and was hurt by - while also grappling with the growing understanding she was being put through a traumatic journey of HIS design in HIS story - would be a psychological wonder-trip for a character who deserved to be more than a plot Macguffin. It would balance the narrative and have us see Alan from HER perspective, one that was clearly affectionate but also supremely damaged.

Whether her journey to find him would heal their marriage or only reinforce the cracks in their relationship would be a spooky and thoughtful journey into the dark unknown I would be thrilled to try.

Last edited:

Sense

Oct 25, 2017

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
*Someone* has to fund it..
If MS doesn't want to.. . I hope Shuhei and Shawn Layden jump on this opportunity.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
To be fair, they tried to make Alan Wake 1 several times too.
This is true. Alan Wake was originally an open world game. They then made a linear game after hitting development hell but set it in the same open world using the existing assets.

It's why, despite being a linear game, Alan Wake doesn't suffer from corridor syndrome and actually lets you go way off the beaten track and explore in a way that other traditional linear games don't.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
It really didn't take long for someone to assume the lack of an AW2 was on Microsoft, or suggest that Sony should fund publish a sequel.
MS were pitched a sequel at least two times if not more just by watching the video. The first time they tried again with American nightmare dlc as a test for the sequel. Then it was between a sequel and a new ip and ms chose quantum break and finally after quantum break they were given an updated pitch and they passed on that as well. This is to say that they had the opportunity but chose not to and that could be simply because they didn't like the pitch and I don't blame them if they thought it wasn't going to work out.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If they'd redo the combat, I'd be up for a sequel. Curious hos they'd continue if they ever get another shot at it.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they nail a winning concept eventually. Next to Shenmue, Alan Wake is the story I want to finish most.

Yeah, it's a little disheartening to see they've tried multiple times but couldn't get it to work. I'm assuming the problem is advancing the combat, because the story is there.

I don't think they need to do much with the combat itself, the game played great. If they expand the types of enemies, maybe giving them roles, while expanding the weapon selection and provide well designed encounters, that would be enough imo. It'll be a damn shame if the story is never finished.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like their next game is being funded by Sony, so maybe they will finally try to go ahead with one of their ideas?

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see. If not for Nintendo, 1/2 of what Platinum has made in the last 7 years wouldn't exist.

Platinum makes action gameplay focused games. Alan Wake is cinematic action adventure with heavy focus on story. Not really something Nintendo does, but maybe that could be a reason to try? Seriously doubt it though.

I feel like their next game is being funded by Sony, so maybe they will finally try to go ahead with one of their ideas?

Definitely think they have a game cooking with Sony, but not Alan Wake related.