• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone remember all the people who thought Splatoon was going to bomb?

You even had some people thinking it would do about as well or worse the The Wonderfull 101.

What are some of the biggest miss calls you've ever seen looking back?

0MAR10

Oct 27, 2017
Louisiana
Mario Kart 8 and polygon lmao. Whoever has that chart please post it. They estimated it wouldn't sell even half (3 million) at the time i believe . And look at it now. A juggernaut.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This sort of thinking swings both ways. Like, you can go back and read all the posters convinced that Labo is going to annihilate the market because the trailer has a ton of views.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't look back at miss calls.

I've made some predictions that were way off. It happens. Tho I'm not hyperbolic when it comes to stating my prediction.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I might be misremembering, but I don't really remember people expecting Splatoon to fail. Conversely, I recall it receiving heaps of praise the E3 it was revealed, with people consistently saying that it was one of the freshest IP of the generation, that they finally designed a game that meaningfully incorporated the gamepad, that despite all the other games on the floor the press wanted more time with Splatoon, etc.

No one anticipated it would be as big a hit as it was, but I don't remember a lot of "this will bomb".

Recently, Apex legends fits the bill tho. As soon as it was leaked that Respawn were working on a hero-shooter BR in the Titanfall universe (and likely not another mainline Tf game) there was a lot of shit-slinging.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
This sort of thinking swings both ways. Like, you can go back and read all the posters convinced that Labo is going to annihilate the market because the trailer has a ton of views.
There weren't alot of those, some were optimistic about it's succes and it still did sell over a million. The nay-sayers were way more franctic about Labo.
I might be misremembering, but I don't really remember people expecting Splatoon to fail. Conversely, I recall it receiving heaps of praise the E3 it was revealed, with people consistently saying that it was one of the freshest IP of the generation, that they finally designed a game that meaningfully incorporated the gamepad, that despite all the other games on the floor the press wanted more time with Splatoon, etc.
People were expecting W101 level of sales in the old place.

Alot of Switch comes to mind. 1-2 Switch, Arms, Labo, Switch itself. Before the system released, pessimism was apparent online.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I predicted the Switch to do as well as the 3DS. Remains to be seen, but I'll never back down from claiming its actual reveal was very lackluster.

Oct 25, 2017
what revisionist confirmation bias bullshit is this? There was never significant amounts of people saying Splatoon would fail. Stop limiting your scope to what a handful of posters said on some game forum.

Oct 27, 2017
I remember the the read on the old site about Splatoon being a huge bomb, seemed silly to me. I figured the game would be a moderate success. I was pleased to see it become the Juggernaut franchise it is now.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it is funny, but hindsight is 20 20.
i've made many terrible predictions too (i thought MHW was going to fail then it becomes the biggest selling capcom game ever), so it's not really any use to laugh at other people's failed predictions.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018

Alot of Switch comes to mind. 1-2 Switch, Arms, Labo, Switch itself. Before the system released, pessimism was apparent online.
Ah yeah, you're right. Hopefully I'm allowed to link to the old site

I probably conflated all the praise it received from critics.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
Splatoon isn't a very good example. It was just a few people taking the opportunity to shit on the Wii U.

I don't know if this was a popular opinion at the time, but I thought the Vita would at least be a modest success and hold sales pace with the 3DS.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think splatoon failing was only forum goers saying, everyone from a mile a way can see how successful the game was going to be, it was a pretty big showing at its debut booth

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Eh, not really. Nobody was expecting it to become a juggernaut but outside of NeoGAF shitposting I think most people were just kinda going "Seems neat I dunno"

Mario Kart 8 and polygon lmao. Whoever has that chart please post it. They estimated it wouldn't sell even half (3 million) at the time i believe . And look at it now. A juggernaut.
To be fair to Polygon, g r a p h aside their logic was fairly sound - it took a lot of aggressive deals (buy this game and get another completely free!) and being a really good entry in general to make it really sell.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I was really worried about Resident Evil 7, given how well Resident Evil 6 sold in spite of critical reception. I'd seen the same thing happen with Assassin's Creed 4 following Assassin's Creed 3, where AC3 sold extremely well and was given an overall "meh" response from critics, while AC4 was praised by critics for its innovative naval elements, and suffered greatly in terms of sales.

In a sense, you expect the sequel to the well-performing, badly-received game to do poorly. But Resident Evil 7 had just the right amount of time following RE6 to rid the stink of that game and get fans excited for a return to form. Combine that with really excellent viral marketing and being one of the first big games of 2017, and in hindsight, RE7's success seems obvious.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
PS Classic(until we got the games) and Vita TV are big ones as well. I personally thought the latter was going to be huge.

Eh, not really. Nobody was expecting it to become a juggernaut but outside of NeoGAF shitposting I think most people were just kinda going "Seems neat I dunno"

To be fair to Polygon, g r a p h aside their logic was fairly sound - it took a lot of aggressive deals (buy this game and get another completely free!) and being a really good entry in general to make it really sell.
Polygon said that MK8 would sell 1.99 million by the end of March 2015 and it ended up topping that within the first month.

Interficium

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Gaf/Era have always had a terrible track record when it comes to sales projections of any kind generally because it's users have a very myopic perspective of the industry as a whole (colloquially referred to as the "Era Bubble" or similar), and have a hard time believing any product could be successful despite lack of positive consensus on the forum.

This leads to hilarious meltdowns like people being incredulous that something like Splatoon or, even more shockingly, Ghost Recon Wildlands could be sales successes despite there being "no hype" on the forum.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
PS Classic(until we got the games) and Vita TV are big ones as well. I personally thought the latter was going to be huge.

Polygon said that MK8 would sell 1.99 million by the end of March 2015 and it ended up topping that within the first month.
Oh yeah, they were wrong as fuck but you could at least see where they were coming from. If it was a so-so game like 7 was and Nintendo didn't push it like they did, they probably would've been right.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I remember thinking ARMS was going to be a breakout cornerstone IP like Splatoon. It was a success but nothing like I was thinking.

plebc

Jan 7, 2018
Not sure if many know this, but Splatoon wasn't a full priced game in Europe.

Regular price was £34.99 or £31.49 (10% off) if you have downloaded the Global Testfire while it was $60 in the US. I'm not sure what was the price in Japan because it ended up being really popular.

Last edited:

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
I clearly remember several people on the old site claiming Splatoon was going to fail. I even remember the infamous "I'll drink my own urine" post.

I also remember several people claiming after the fact "Well of course it was successful, there's nothing else to play on the Wii U!"

Nov 18, 2017
How is the Switch doing sales wise? I feel like it's lost some momentum in comparison to the Wii and DS, it hasn't quite crossed over into mainstream appeal the way they did.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I absolutely underestimated how well Spider-Man would sell. Insomniac deserves it too.

Oct 28, 2017
There weren't alot of those, some were optimistic about it's succes and it still did sell over a million. The nay-sayers were way more franctic about Labo.

Go back and revisit the announcement thread. The vast majority were claiming Labo to be a big hit. People that didn't think so were shouted down.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I remember back in the old place when people were sure the Switch would fail after the January 2017 Presentation. A LOT of people in the old place were calling it - "It" in this case being both the Switch and the presentation - a disaster, which, even back then was a ridiculous sentiment. Despite all of the mishaps that happened during the event, it was still a good show, one that brought good games and signaled a bright future for the Switch.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Meh it goes both ways. People think things will be hits and bombs all the time. Same thing happened with labo. People were completely convinced it was going to be a hit. No need to make a thread to go lol what dumbasses

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
The Switch is an obvious one.
In what reality? I would say the number of people who thought the Switch was going to be a monster like the Wii wasn't even outnumbered 2 to 1 on this forum. The number of people who thought the Switch would be a success was far from insignificant unlike the OP's example of Splatoon where derision was overwhelming.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Gonna be honest, I thought the Switch wouldn't sell because of the price tag. But that's completely my fault and I was in the wrong (thankfully).
This is my theory on Splatoon but people predicted doom for it more because they weren't interested in to the new IP than anything else. The among of young teen playing is unbelievable (and great!), But I have a hard time finding people over 20 to play with. Those are my observations since I have started play this game last fall. I wonder why older fans haven't gotten into the game more, it's a thing I've been thinking about it alot.
Labo is a similar experience. It main market are younger kids, Era thought (their) kids as did Nintendo would became a big hit but it didn't. It's hard to predict if you aren't the targeted group imo.
But it's fun that's why we're doing it.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon isn't a very good example. It was just a few people taking the opportunity to shit on the Wii U.

I don't know if this was a popular opinion at the time, but I thought the Vita would at least be a modest success and hold sales pace with the 3DS.

Pre-release a lot of people thought the Vita was going to steamroll the 3DS, and the internet went absolutely mental for its $250 price point considering it could do "actual PS3 graphics".

People will tell you that all changed when the 3DS got its price cut but I don't think that's quite true. The bigger thing was TGS 2011 where Monster Hunter was announced for 3DS and there was a distinct lack of major titles for Vita.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
No console is ever going to sell like that again.
Isn't the PS4 well on it's way to 100 million sold? By the end of production, it has a chance to sell just under 110 million which would match the Wii I believe.

I didn't think RE:2 Remake was going to do as well as it has. Game is selling well beyond my expectations.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it as soon as I saw it, cos I grew up in the 90's and gave me Nickleodeon Vibes (Neon Splats) and also had kinda like Skate Vibe sorta thing also of the 90's

But I wouldn't have thought it would have been so successful, I didn't think it would fail I was just pleased how much other people caught onto it.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Not sure if many know this, but Splatoon wasn't a full priced game in Europe.

Regular price was £34.99 or £31.49 (10% off) if you have downloaded the Global Testfire while it was $60 in the US. I'm not sure what was the price in Japan because it ended up being really popular.

The game came out in the May and I bought it in the July, just 2 months later, for £21.99 brand new sealed, in a local Sainsbury's supermarket. They didn't realise what it was and assumed it was a new budget game.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
In what reality? I would say the number of people who thought the Switch was going to be a monster like the Wii wasn't even outnumbered 2 to 1 on this forum. The number of people who thought the Switch would be a success was far from insignificant unlike the OP's example of Splatoon where derision was overwhelming.
After the initial Switch presentation there were a lot of people disappointed with the lineup and price saying it would flop.

With Splatoon I'm not actually sure how negative people were on it outside of the old site.

Isn't the PS4 well on it's way to 100 million sold? By the end of production, it has a chance to sell just under 110 million which would match the Wii I believe.

I didn't think RE:2 Remake was going to do as well as it has. Game is selling well beyond my expectations.
The PS4 will outsell the Wii, but I was referring more to how the Wii sold a ton super fast before dying after a few years.

Nov 18, 2017
No console is ever going to sell like that again.

It was a golden era. I hope one day we see more hardware that crosses boundaries and brings people together the way Wii did.

I have no idea why the industry turned away from advancing motion control given the market popularity when they get the hardware right. Nintendo led the technology, MS & Sony flailed around with late imitators, and then Nintendo... abandoned it.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea why the industry turned away from advancing motion control given the market popularity when they get the hardware right. Nintendo led the technology, MS & Sony flailed around with late imitators, and then Nintendo... abandoned it.
Nintendo didn't abandon motion-control.

Almost all of their games use them.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Wonderful 101 deserved so much more, and Nintendo treated it so badly :(

It was a golden era. I hope one day we see more hardware that crosses boundaries and brings people together the way Wii did.

Nintendo doesn't primarily focus on it anymore, but it's absolutely still there in their design philosophy. Just look at Mario Party 10 and the optional movement in ARMS, Mario Tennis and Kart.

Nov 18, 2017
Nintendo didn't abandon motion-control.
Almost all of their games use them.
Nintendo doesn't primarily focus on it anymore, but it's absolutely still there in their design philosophy. Just look at Mario Party 10 and the optional movement in ARMS, Mario Tennis and Kart.

Yeah, but it's been relegated. In games like Mario Tennis Aces it's clearly inferior to Wii. The joycon tech isn't quite up Wii Motion Plus level motion control.

I just wonder where the tech might have gone - what would the next iteration look like if Nintendo hadn't gone with the Gamepad as a core controller.