• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smithy

Oct 25, 2017
So this is lost on westerners but the early games were actually the first real attempt to turn the manga into a legitimate game...in Japan those weird rules came before the game as we know it was solidified in Battle City and the physical release of the OCG.

In those games you can fuse monsters without polymerization? A lot of early Fusion monsters debuted in those games and one of their possible Fusion combinations (as each Fusion had multiple ways to fuse into it) was chosen for the actual card game.

Of course in America we got the real card game first.

Yep, without polymerization. And as you wrote, you didn't need specific monsters for the fusion. I looked it up, it's been called "Forbidden Memories". It's been super hard to be honest, but felt very rewarding when you finally got a proper card after a battle!

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, without polymerization. And as you wrote, you didn't need specific monsters for the fusion. I looked it up, it's been called "Forbidden Memories". It's been super hard to be honest, but felt very rewarding when you finally got a proper card after a battle!
Always loved the artwork for that game, I remember my cousins had it growing up

71WTlcU5KvL._SL1024_.jpg

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
This just got posted on the Yugioh reddit today lol

Literally two duels in 2 minutes. The game might as well be solitaire if you play with meta folks
As we said before, 2 cards for free is fucking broken.

To elaborate, most players would run decks of like 15 cards if it were possible, so Pot of Greed essentially allows a player to get under the minimum deck size. It's technically just a +1 (because you had to draw it to have it*), but putting it in your deck is just getting you through your cards faster than you would have before.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

71WTlcU5KvL._SL1024_.jpg
All the weird Egyptian stuff that game made up that I thought was canon and later in the anime lol

But that I think came out a bit after the real card game existed but used the original Konami rules, which originated in the GB title Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters.

Oct 25, 2017
I lost interest when every card started having an entire paragraph. I tried to get back into it a few years ago and it was just too much. Way beyond my patience and attention span.

Smithy

Oct 25, 2017

71WTlcU5KvL._SL1024_.jpg

Yeah I really liked the artwork as well. In general, I thought it was awesome to watch the monsters battle, even thought the sound effects have been crappy at times.

All the weird Egyptian stuff that game made up that I thought was canon and later in the anime lol

But that I think came out a bit after the real card game existed but used the original Konami rules, which originated in the GB title Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters.

Yeah haha same, but nevertheless I really loved the story back then. I always thought it came out before the real card game existed but I got it late, thanks for clearing that up!

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly people balk at the Special Summoning methods but the real "HUH?" are learning about costs vs effects, resolutions, spell speeds, and the like.

And fucking chains. I feel like I understand them more or less when I'm actually playing a match but can't for the life of me express into words how they really function.

I've been watching YGO all my life but as a casual player getting into Master Duel it's really made me reconsider what I'd consider powerful effects.

I think you're missing the picture here is that Pot of Greed isn't powerful on its own in a vacuum necessarily, but has no drawbacks it'd be a necessity in every deck basically in tournament play because there's no reason not to use it. And Konami tends to not want people using the same cards too much because money.

Similar to Painful Choice, which I would've have thought a trash card as a kid till you realize moving cards to your GY means they've become a knowable resource that are easier to access than a random card in a deck. You know exactly where it is at all times, and likewise that means a better chance to draw what you need.
Maybe I was thinking about how decks can be setup to pull specfic cards. Off the rip, the baby photon deck can let you pull some powerful cards from jump

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I could never get over Yugi's Chimera combo. Use up one-tribute monster with about 1200 ATK and a Polymerization to summon... a 2100 ATK monster who's only effect is to bring back one of the two useless monsters used to fuse it when it dies (which tended to happen pretty fucking quickly due to its pathetic stats). Yugi entered Battle City with that shit.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I was thinking about how decks can be setup to pull specfic cards. Off the rip, the baby photon deck can let you pull some powerful cards from jump
Yeah most decks can search specific cards in archetype but aren't free---usually you got to summon the monster first or some cost.

Pot of Greed could just be used alongside that and can fit in virtually any deck.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I could never get over Yugi's Chimera combo. Use up one-tribute monster with about 1200 ATK and a Polymerization to summon... a 2100 ATK monster who's only effect is to bring back one of the two useless monsters used to fuse it when it dies (which tended to happen pretty fucking quickly due to its pathetic stats). Yugi entered Battle City with that shit.
Don't forget Fusion monsters couldn't attack on the turn they were summoned in Battle City lol.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

It's stuff like this that turned me off from Yugioh completely. I used to play casually with a guy all the time who built a "lot" of top tier meta decks, so we'd just pick and choose random ones to play with and I got to experience what it was like to play with/against "top tier". There were times I'd sit there for 10 minutes just waiting for him to finish his opening turn.

I guess there's a small solace that Master Duel is very fast (especially relative to someone manually shuffling their deck after almost every card they played)

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
The cards were not nearly as cool as they seemed on the show, they fixed that with GX and later shows
gx cards werent very good, gx was around when konami really tried to not make op cards so alot of them ended up being garbage due neutered effects compared to og yugioh or super high costs or restrictions to use them, the best cards from the gx era were mostly cards that either konami didnt realize how good they could be or didnt have a similar card in the og sets

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
My nephew is young and really doesnt know the rules so he apes the anime and asspulls any card he wants and I always lose lol

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I always enjoy Yugi just turning things up to 11. Oh you fucked with my friends? I'm going to destroy you're soul through a card game.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I really liked the artwork as well. In general, I thought it was awesome to watch the monsters battle, even thought the sound effects have been crappy at times.

Yeah haha same, but nevertheless I really loved the story back then. I always thought it came out before the real card game existed but I got it late, thanks for clearing that up!

Friendly that there's a 15 card mod for this game now and it's turned it into quite the fun speedrunning game.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Well I got a laugh when Yugi said something about "if you think we are done you are mistaken" only to see yeah the YouTube clip has 9 fucking minutes left.

Last edited:

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing about threads like this to me is that Yugioh has actually been like this for most of its life at this point.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Yugioh is nonsense now lol. Even when I'm playing the game I'm thinking it's dumb how much we can do in 1 turn. It's always been like this to a degree but it just keeps getting longer

Sometimes I'll play like 2 Tekken matches while I wait on the opponent's turn in master duel lol

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
The funny thing about threads like this to me is that Yugioh has actually been like this for most of its life at this point.
Yugioh was busted from moment one. Thing is, most people who played as kids did so with structure decks on the playground with rules they half understood.

Nowadays more decks can do bonkers shit, but you at least have handtraps to try and stop them.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
gx cards werent very good, gx was around when konami really tried to not make op cards so alot of them ended up being garbage due neutered effects compared to og yugioh or super high costs or restrictions to use them, the best cards from the gx era were mostly cards that either konami didnt realize how good they could be or didnt have a similar card in the og sets
Grand Mole is still clutch as a non-targeting, non-bouncer.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
This is why current Yugioh sucks.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
There's no downside to it at all. Basically even when draw cards require banishing 1/4 of your deck or running no spells at all are still staples a card that draws two cards for free is too strong.
It also effects probability. If you run 40 cards then Pot means you're effectively running 38 cards so you're slightly more likely to draw a key combo piece.

The only card less likely to get unbanned before it is graceful charity because it does that plus loads up the graveyard.

Maxx C has nothing but advantage because it forces their opponent from completing their board and is why it's banned in the TCG but not in the OCG.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Pot of Greed is so broken as a card that even if the effect was just "Draw 1 Card" it would still be banned since it basically makes your deck have less than 40 cards, meaning everyone would have no reason to not use it as all decks benefit from drawing cards faster

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's stuff like this that turned me off from Yugioh completely. I used to play casually with a guy all the time who built a "lot" of top tier meta decks, so we'd just pick and choose random ones to play with and I got to experience what it was like to play with/against "top tier". There were times I'd sit there for 10 minutes just waiting for him to finish his opening turn.

I guess there's a small solace that Master Duel is very fast (especially relative to someone manually shuffling their deck after almost every card they played)
While facing meta decks is the worst, what that guy played is super obscure and difficult.

DWarriorSN

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PA
That feeling when you've used an almost exact combo start 100 times lmao, felt like a personal callout.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I played Monarchs and Kozmo (both post meta). Once links came around, I couldn't be fucked with Firewall Dragon in every deck. Haven't played since.
Just limit to one pot of greed.
Have you played Yugioh? Pot of Greed is a +3 in the game with no draw backs. Even on one it's incredibly broken. Have an Upstart Goblin and you'll most likely never brick a hand.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Just limit to one pot of greed.
This is still essentially letting you run a 39-card deck. This would be strong in any card game, but especially in Yugioh because there isn't a resource mechanic. Anything you draw can be used immediately (whereas something like Magic doesn't mind as much if you draw some because you're still probably going to be low on mana).

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
The problem isn't the amount of stuff that some decks are capable of doing in one turn. The problem is the amount of advantage they're able to generate while doing so. A meta Yu-Gi-Oh deck has the ability to vomit a bunch of disruption onto the board from its hand while maintaining or increasing hand size, then if you somehow manage to break that setup they have the ability to vomit it straight back onto the board from the graveyard next turn.

Meanwhile to get setup a non-meta deck usually has to burn through its entire hand so they only get one or two shots at winning. The gap between them is so vast, seemingly by design. People will say "yeah well it's always been that way" but if the game has been broken for 20 years and they haven't fixed it then maybe it's not very well designed and managed in the first place.

Whoever draws it first, wins.
It's extra funny that everyone understands this about Pot of Greed but there are still Maxx C stans in 2022.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
This is all one turn

Does this actually follow the game rules? If so, thats fucking awesome. Most card games are about building up to one game ending turn and it would be lit as fuck if one of these shows actually showed the dynamics of actual card games accurately.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
In fairness, there's definitely been episodes of the OG anime where a turn took 10+ minutes, though in that situation it was something like Joey explaining to you what was going on in the duel you're watching, then maybe Tea, Tristain if he's there, and definitely Mokuba/Kaiba if they're around. Sometimes maybe a B-plot involving Bakura or some other character might be going on the side, then the episode ends on a cliffhanger because Yugi passes after setting 1 card and his opponent draws into the card that'll secure their victory....

Rewatching episodes of Duelist Kingdom and Battle City with friends has been a funny experience for a lot of reasons, but honestly some of the multi-episode fights can get really drawn out at the expense of getting a little tiring. GX on the other hand felt like it was getting a lot better at weaving the actual card game into the dueling aspect of the story, it feels like a natural progression to just have the anime start reflecting the real mechanics of the cards as there's no more reason to have stuff like attacking the moon.

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the last era of YGO I actually enjoyed and followed was the Synchro era, but I recognize that alot of the dumb stuff I've come to dislike like hand traps and graveyard effects up the wazoo started there in earnest. Strangely enough I think the LACK of a resource mechanic makes this the worst type of card game to have no rotating sets in.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017

71WTlcU5KvL._SL1024_.jpg
I remember playing this, it was fun. I remember looking over my starter deck and freaking out when I saw a card's name start as "Blue Eye..." only to read the rest and see "...d Silver Zombie."

Oh and there was one time I fused 5 worthless cards at random and ended up with Curse of Dragon. Early yugioh games were weird.

Feb 16, 2022
Well originally YGO was not even about the card game. It was about all kinds of games, but DM was so interesting to people it took off as the most important part.
The original games had some interesting gems, too. I liked the one with the sealed dragon cards, and I really loved Capsule Monster and DDD.

But yeah, Monsters and Wizards was so interesting, I remember we used to draw the cards on pieces of paper to play at school before they released the official card game.

71WTlcU5KvL._SL1024_.jpg
This game was so cool back then. The concept of putting in the cards' ID numbers and unlock them in-game felt so futuristic.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Does this actually follow the game rules? If so, thats fucking awesome. Most card games are about building up to one game ending turn and it would be lit as fuck if one of these shows actually showed the dynamics of actual card games accurately.
Pretty much, shit got wild with XYZ summons.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
The decks you are thinking of are generally balanced around the fact that those cards only work for their archetype. There are other decks you don't want to have the same draw power that generics like Pot of Greed would offer.