• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks that they're doing this but I can attest to getting those unlockables easily.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
can't they patch the online elements to make them available offline instead? Although I don't really know what the online stuff are, haven't played the second one yet

Deleted member 8106

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Another idiotic decision by Sony. I can understand taking down servers for superold games like Demon's Souls, but Gravity Rush 2 is pretty much a "new" release and I doubt manteining the servers online for the activities required in the game is so expensive, but Sony is showing they don't care about their playerbase and they rack up money where they can.

OP
OP
Chettlar

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Can we finish both games so quickly before the time limit? How long does it take to Platinum both games and get everything?

My buddy played GRR like a ton and got it done in just a few days. The first game doesn't exactly have tons of content. You could knock it out in a week ezpz. Wait to do the challenges until you're closer to end game. It'll make things a lot smoother. Just don't leave the Boutoume challenges till last because they have been known to glitch the trophy if done last. No spoilers. The game will tell you when you're in Boutoume.

Idk how long the platinum for 2 will take me but it sounds like the online stuff should take you around a week or so if you do all the online stuff available each day?

So yeah I'm thinking if you start now you should be good.

Last edited:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Can we finish both games so quickly before the time limit? How long does it take to Platinum both games and get everything?

Viable, although I guess you might burn out on it if you do both games back-to-back.

I did it earlier this year. My posts from the time:

I actually went through the same train of thought towards the start of the year and asked in the Stupid Gaming Questions thread whether it's viable to play through both titles before the deadline. I got a particularly helpful reply from GodzillaDB , which encouraged me to take the plunge and attempt it.

I will say, Gravity Rush 1 is pretty short; I platinummed it and - looking at the time span between the trophies - only took a week to do so (First trophy: March 9th, Platinum: March 16th). I'm cleansing my palate now, but I'll probably go straight into GR2 after that, sometime before the end of April. I'm expecting to get everything done in the remaining time given what people are saying about how GR2 is about three-four times as long, but we'll see..

(later...)

Just as an update to this, in the hopes that it might be of use to the OP: I started GR2 on April 14th, and have just (25th April) got enough Dusty Tokens to get the major item that's going away when the servers die. Also, after completing the next batch of Treasure Hunts I should also have all those items, which means - as best as I can determine - I'll have acquired everything that's locked behind the online component.

According to the in-game stats, that's 47 hours of play, although I think there was at least some where it was just sat inactive.

(In terms of completing the whole thing, I'm also now on the final chapter, and am a reasonable chunk of the way to the platinum. That's not time-constrained, though!)

Last edited:

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
They need to make the costumes that are tied to online be unlockable offline - if at least automatically as soon as you start the game post the patch.

The trophies arent locked by online are they?

Oct 29, 2017
Dam this game is still on my backlog, its not even that old. I had a couple of games I was gonna play before this, wonder if I'll be missing out on much if I play it after.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Just to be clear to people, what I'd say is the best approach to this is just to play a little each day, since you get tokens from the daily treasure hunts and challenges and such. If you have trouble with a hunt's picture, quit out from the pause menu and go back in; you might be placed so close to the treasure the next time that you'll already hear the beeping. Also, every single time you do a challenge, send it out. Even if you did horribly, someone else might do worse against you, and it adds up fast. Similarly, if you ever have to take a picture for a mission/the story, be sure to send that out to be reviewed as well; people will be much more likely to see them since they definitely have to go to that point.

That being said, you do need to hit a certain point of the story before certain treasures (furniture) appear, so make sure you get to that point sooner rather than later. Beating them game will also double the amount of some of these daily events you get. But if you're starting it now and do this stuff every day, you'd have waaaaaay more than you'd need anyway.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Shit. Knee deep in AC Origins, then I planned to play XB2 followed by Octopath.

The mere thought of scuttling all that to fit in this shit is actually making me a bit irritated. Actually may end up not bothering touching GR2 at all now.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Which costumes require the online functions?

After looking at the guide it seems like it's

The original costume from the first game
A schoolgirl costume from the first game
And clothes Kat wears at the beginning of the game

Not that much of a loss, I guess the work clothes (3rd one listed in this post) only unique one, the other two are just color variants by the looks of it of two other costumes (default and there is a schoolgirl 2.0 costume)

Perona

Oct 31, 2017
I got all of the dusty token items back when servers were originally supposed to go down in January. I'm glad I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Mithos

Oct 27, 2017
When I did this Dusty Token hunting in January I got 6000+ in only 3 days. There should not be any problem getting 6000 from now till July 18th.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not that much of a loss, I guess the work clothes (3rd one listed in this post) only unique one, the other two are just color variants by the looks of it of two other costumes (default and there is a schoolgirl 2.0 costume)

Oh that's fine. The only costume I was interested in was the 2B one anyway.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I totally failed this game. Was so hyped to pick it up Day 1 (which I did) and never got around to finishing it. And I don't why people are blaming Sony. If the game did better sales wise I'm sure the servers wouldn't be shutting down

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to add more info for people who are interested in getting the online-exclusive items, and why they might want to do so. This isn't the most comprehensive or necessarily efficient guide, but instead just some tips:

- You earn currency called "Dusty Tokens" automatically by completing certain online activities.
- As you accumulate Dusty Tokens, you automatically unlock certain extras (don't click the links, they're broken):

10: Upside-Down Man Photo Item
100: "Salute" Gesture
300: Worker Costume
500: Miner's Technique Talisman
1000: Traffic Cone Photo Item
2000: School Uniform 1.0 Costume
3000: Fisher's Recipe Talisman
4000: "You There" Gesture
5000: Shifter 1.0 Costume
6000: Unlimited Potential Talisman

- A lot of the discussion about the online features shutting down has focused on the costumes and other aesthetic items. Those are great but, imo more importantly, the real desirable item here is the Unlimited Potential talisman you get at 6000 dusty tokens. This talisman gives you unlimited gravity in exchange for doing less damage - meaning that, in the post-game when you're flying around, exploring, and relaxing, you can do so endlessly and not have to worry about recharging your gravity constantly as you explore. The "less damage" trade-off is irrelevant because most of the time you're not fighting stuff anyway.

- Reiterating from the above point, if it's not already clear: you want the Unlimited Potential talisman. It is very, very useful and gameplay-changing when you're flying around and chilling in the post-game.

- In my opinion, the fastest and most painless way to accumulate Dusty Tokens is to complete "Treasure Hunts." These work as follows: You receive like 2-7 treasure hunts automatically every day. Each of these warps you to a certain area and gives you a picture to help you figure out where the "treasure" is hidden. When you find it, you get the treasure, and you have to take your own picture to help other people find it. Once you've done that, you've successfully completed the hunt, and you receive 80 Dusty Tokens. Each hunt, in my experience, takes 5-10 minutes, unless you get really stumped (which is rare).

- To get the Unlimited Potential talisman, you need 6000 Dusty Tokens. If you only do Treasure Hunts, you'll need to do 75 of them. That sounds like a lot, but if you do, let's say, 5 of them a day, taking probably 30-45 minutes total, it'll take you like 2 weeks to get 6000 tokens. Very manageable.

- And the above isn't even counting other means of getting tokens. It's just the bare, casual treasure hunting version.

- Finally, the treasure hunts are by no means a grind. They're actually one of the most fun parts of the game and imo Gravity Rush's gameplay is actually more tailored to this exploratory treasure hunting than it is to the combat scenarios in the main campaign.

Additionally, if you want to "boost" and earn tokens even faster, there are guides for doing that, but I actually found the leisurely daily treasure hunt method more enjoyable.

The Time Mage

Feb 9, 2018

Damn. This is for all regions right? I bought the Japanese one (wanted the launch edition and the Asian English one is expensive) yesterday but I don't have my PS4 with me so I can't play it for quite a while.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
I totally failed this game. Was so hyped to pick it up Day 1 (which I did) and never got around to finishing it. And I don't why people are blaming Sony. If the game did better sales wise I'm sure the servers wouldn't be shutting down
I want all the console makers to get a server system that prevents servers from getting shut down, like kind of like a cloud of cloud servers for games. Would be cool. Then we wouldn't have to worry about this stuff.

I mean like probably like a small single or emulated server on a larger system could easily make all the pings between the handful of people that are using the online of this game frequently.

I'm also part of the crowd that didn't finish this game, just got distracted, and also disappointed in myself because I loved the first game and didn't put it down on Vita until I was done with the story.

Nov 1, 2017
The reason people are complaining is because we're not even at the end of the generation and Sony is already killing the servers for some of their games.

OP
OP
Chettlar

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Viable, although I guess you might burn out on it if you do both games back-to-back.

I did it earlier this year. My posts from the time:

(later...)

Could you explain what those refers too? I thought dusty tokens were the only online component.

I'd like to add more info for people who are interested in getting the online-exclusive items, and why they might want to do so. This isn't the most comprehensive or necessarily efficient guide, but instead just some tips:

- You earn currency called "Dusty Tokens" automatically by completing certain online activities.
- As you accumulate Dusty Tokens, you automatically unlock certain extras (don't click the links, they're broken):

10: Upside-Down Man Photo Item
100: "Salute" Gesture
300: Worker Costume
500: Miner's Technique Talisman
1000: Traffic Cone Photo Item
2000: School Uniform 1.0 Costume
3000: Fisher's Recipe Talisman
4000: "You There" Gesture
5000: Shifter 1.0 Costume
6000: Unlimited Potential Talisman

- A lot of the discussion about the online features shutting down has focused on the costumes and other aesthetic items. Those are great but, imo more importantly, the real desirable item here is the Unlimited Potential talisman you get at 6000 dusty tokens. This talisman gives you unlimited gravity in exchange for doing less damage - meaning that, in the post-game when you're flying around, exploring, and relaxing, you can do so endlessly and not have to worry about recharging your gravity constantly as you explore. The "less damage" trade-off is irrelevant because most of the time you're not fighting stuff anyway.

- Reiterating from the above point, if it's not already clear: you want the Unlimited Potential talisman. It is very, very useful and gameplay-changing when you're flying around and chilling in the post-game.

- In my opinion, the fastest and most painless way to accumulate Dusty Tokens is to complete "Treasure Hunts." These work as follows: You receive like 2-7 treasure hunts automatically every day. Each of these warps you to a certain area and gives you a picture to help you figure out where the "treasure" is hidden. When you find it, you get the treasure, and you have to take your own picture to help other people find it. Once you've done that, you've successfully completed the hunt, and you receive 80 Dusty Tokens. Each hunt, in my experience, takes 5-10 minutes, unless you get really stumped (which is rare).

- To get the Unlimited Potential talisman, you need 6000 Dusty Tokens. If you only do Treasure Hunts, you'll need to do 75 of them. That sounds like a lot, but if you do, let's say, 5 of them a day, taking probably 30-45 minutes total, it'll take you like 2 weeks to get 6000 tokens. Very manageable.

- And the above isn't even counting other means of getting tokens. It's just the bare, casual treasure hunting version.

- Finally, the treasure hunts are by no means a grind. They're actually one of the most fun parts of the game and imo Gravity Rush's gameplay is actually more tailored to this exploratory treasure hunting than it is to the combat scenarios in the main campaign.

Additionally, if you want to "boost" and earn tokens even faster, there are guides for doing that, but I actually found the leisurely daily treasure hunt method more enjoyable.

Mind if I add this to the OP?

OP
OP
Chettlar

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Do you need to finish the main campaign before you can do these online activities?

Nope! I only did the first like, location section and then got access to photo mode and all my costumes, as well as treasure hunts. Got 320 tokens my first day from treasure hunts.

Just make sure you hop on each day and you shouldn't have any trouble. I think they're fun.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Could you explain what those refers too? I thought dusty tokens were the only online component.
There are items within the chests, too, and they are unique to the chest mechanic. In principle you can find chests without online, but it's unrealistically difficult to do so - I think I found maybe ten total outside the online hunt component during my entire playthrough, and you'd need to find 58 to get all those items.

This site lists those, but the nature of some could be construed as spoilery. Suffice to say you can't get them all until story chapter 3; if you get a treasure chest after the start of chapter 3 and it only contains gems, you're done.

OP
OP
Chettlar

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
There are items within the chests, too, and they are unique to the chest mechanic. In principle you can find chests without online, but it's unrealistically difficult to do so - I think I found maybe ten total outside the online hunt component during my entire playthrough, and you'd need to find 58 to get all those items.

This site lists those, but the nature of some could be construed as spoilery. Suffice to say you can't get them all until story chapter 3; if you get a treasure chest after the start of chapter 3 and it only contains gems, you're done.

Oh yeah I remember someone saying you could technically get gems astronomically slowly offline. It seems utterly unrealistic but possible.

I do remember getting some things from chests. That's good to know that after chapter 3 if I no longer get anything other than gems I'm done with that aspect, thanks.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
How far in the single player do you have to get before you can do treasure hunts?

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just to be clear, do remember that "chapters" aren't the individual story missions ("episodes"), they're arcs of them. So chapter 3 is decently far into the story.

But... I'm pretty sure that information is wrong anyway? I believe you need to finish story episode
to get those treasures, not just reach chapter 3. That's only the second episode of the chapter so it's not much of a difference, but still, don't just think you can hit the start of it and be good from there.

OP
OP
Chettlar

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
How far in the single player do you have to get before you can do treasure hunts?

Just the first kinda area, section. Shouldn't take terribly long. It's mostly tutorial and a little bit of story. I think two "chapters" take place there? Idk it didn't take me very long at all.

Just to be clear, do remember that "chapters" aren't the individual story missions ("episodes"), they're arcs of them. So chapter 3 is decently far into the story.

But... I'm pretty sure that information is wrong anyway? I believe you need to finish story episode
to get those treasures, not just reach chapter 3. That's only the second episode of the chapter so it's not much of a difference, but still, don't just think you can hit the start of it and be good from there.

I was able to do treasure hunts as soon as I got access to photo mode and things. I didn't even play a ton and it really didn't take me long to get there, even doing the two sidequests you get.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Just the first kinda area, section. Shouldn't take terribly long. It's mostly tutorial and a little bit of story. I think two "chapters" take place there? Idk it didn't take me very long at all.

I was able to do treasure hunts as soon as I got access to photo mode and things. I didn't even play a ton and it really didn't take me long to get there, even doing the two sidequests you get.
Awesome! Thanks for the info.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not talking about just doing treasure hunts at all. There are a lot of items you can get from hunts that you won't be able to get until the point I (and others) mentioned. If you do hunts after you've gotten everything else but haven't reached that point, you won't get any special rewards. Once you reach it, you'll be able to get those items from hunts.

You don't get access to placing furniture until you finish that episode. So you can't get furniture from chests till then.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
So ashamed of myself. I adored the first one but I passed up the second. I really should pick it up regardless of the server shutdown. Like others have said it's not even that old. What a shame

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mind if I add this to the OP?

Oh sure, no problem go ahead. Thanks for making the thread in the first place, it's really such a shame how this whole story has gone so far. I'm hoping renewed activity due to people rushing for tokens will maybe be a sort of Hail Mary that convinces Sony to keep the servers up.

OP
OP
Chettlar

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not talking about just doing treasure hunts at all. There are a lot of items you can get from hunts that you won't be able to get until the point I (and others) mentioned. If you do hunts after you've gotten everything else but haven't reached that point, you won't get any special rewards. Once you reach it, you'll be able to get those items from hunts.

You don't get access to placing furniture until you finish that episode. So you can't get furniture from chests till then.

Ohhh I see. Is there a list of every single item that you can possibly get from chests online?

Oh sure, no problem go ahead. Thanks for making the thread in the first place, it's really such a shame how this whole story has gone so far. I'm hoping renewed activity due to people rushing for tokens will maybe be a sort of Hail Mary that convinces Sony to keep the servers up.

People already tried it and all we got was an extra six months :/

So ashamed of myself. I adored the first one but I passed up the second. I really should pick it up regardless of the server shutdown. Like others have said it's not even that old. What a shame

Well it is on sale :D

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Sony being an absolute miser that can't manage servers properly is nothing new, but I wish they'd produce games with that knowledge in mind, to not lock content away from new gamers.

At the very least they should patch the game to make the extra content attainable.

OP
OP
Chettlar

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Sony being an absolute miser that can't manage servers properly is nothing new, but I wish they'd produce games with that knowledge in mind, to not lock content away from new gamers.

At the very least they should patch the game to make the extra content attainable.

Yeah that's the other thing. If you're not going to support your games, let them be doable in some capacity offline. Dark Souls handles this ...somewhat well. You can get everything offline, but you are better off going online for certain items.

I suppose it may be more up to developers to do that, and I wish they would.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ohhh I see. Is there a list of every single item that you can possibly get from chests online?

The link mclem gave should have everything, though I'll again say for anyone relying on it that "reach chapter 3" isn't quite accurate for that extra pool of items, as you have to finish the second episode in it.

I'll copy the lists here, though. Note that you can get any item from any of the lists (that you have access to) in any order, so you'll want to use these as a checklist (or just delete each one as you get it, as I did in a note on my phone when I played).

Talismans
  1. Amaranth Treasure
  2. Aqua Treasure
  3. Carmine Treasure
  4. Celadon Treasure
  5. Cerulean Treasure
  6. Cinereous Treasure
  7. Coral Treasure
  8. Crimson Treasure
  9. Indigo Treasure
  10. Sable Treasure
  11. Scarlet Treasure
  12. Slate Treasure
  13. Taupe Treasure
  14. Turquoise Treasure
  15. Violet Treasure
  16. Viridian Treasure
Photo Items
  1. Bucket
  2. Fire Hydrant
  3. Flower Pot
  4. Gas Canister
  5. Hog's Head
  6. Mailbox
  7. Planter
  8. Standing Sign
  9. Vending Machine
  10. Big Box (this is the name listed when you open the box, the photo item itself is actually called "Large Box")
Gestures
  1. Backflip
  2. Donut
  3. Hip Attack
  4. Skewer
  5. Tongue Out
  6. Wink
Chapter 3 items, of which there are 25.
Again, actually beating episode 14, etc.

Furniture
  1. Antique Mirror
  2. Basket
  3. Bookshelf
  4. Candle Chandelier
  5. Cat Bed
  6. Dining Chair
  7. Hanger Stand
  8. Houseplant
  9. Kettle
  10. Modern Bed
  11. Mosaic Curtains
  12. Mosaic Mirror
  13. Phone
  14. Pipe Bed
  15. Polka Dot Curtains
  16. Polka Dot Floor Mat
  17. Ratty Bed
  18. Ratty Floor Mat
  19. Rimmed Mirror
  20. Rough Table
  21. Round Table
  22. Shaggy Floor Mat
  23. Stool
  24. Succulent Plant
  25. Frame Mirror

Aaaand finally, once you have all 51 of those, you can get one final chest for that Ultimate Explorer Talisman, which you shouldn't forget. So you need to get 52 chests total!

Ultimate Explorer Talisman
  1. Ultimate Explorer Talisman

As always: if a hunt is giving you too much trouble, quit it and go back in. There are some areas where people can give terrible hints (even if unintentionally), and it's a waste of time to keep looking forever. If you quit and go back into it, you have a decent chance of getting placed closer to the chest, to the point that you might already hear the beeping for being near it!

You'll be given 4 hunts a day, and they're nice and give you 8 once you're near the end of the game. So just plan appropriately and you'll be fine; same goes for the tokens in general. I finally played this back in January (I'd only played a little upon release) when it seemed like it was about to go down then, and I played it pretty slowly, doing all the side stuff as I went, etc. and was totally fine token-wise without having to do anything extra cause I just played a bit every day. Just keep at it and get the daily stuff done, send out every challenge you do, and don't forget to actually progress in the game too instead of just checking in for the daily things, and you'll be solid.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot about this completely. Gonna change my gaming schedule and start today with GR2.

OP
OP
Chettlar

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The link mclem gave should have everything, though I'll again say for anyone relying on it that "reach chapter 3" isn't quite accurate for that extra pool of items, as you have to finish the second episode in it.

I'll copy the lists here, though. Note that you can get any item from any of the lists (that you have access to) in any order, so you'll want to use these as a checklist (or just delete each one as you get it, as I did in a note on my phone when I played).

Talismans
  1. Amaranth Treasure
  2. Aqua Treasure
  3. Carmine Treasure
  4. Celadon Treasure
  5. Cerulean Treasure
  6. Cinereous Treasure
  7. Coral Treasure
  8. Crimson Treasure
  9. Indigo Treasure
  10. Sable Treasure
  11. Scarlet Treasure
  12. Slate Treasure
  13. Taupe Treasure
  14. Turquoise Treasure
  15. Violet Treasure
  16. Viridian Treasure
Photo Items
  1. Bucket
  2. Fire Hydrant
  3. Flower Pot
  4. Gas Canister
  5. Hog's Head
  6. Mailbox
  7. Planter
  8. Standing Sign
  9. Vending Machine
  10. Big Box (this is the name listed when you open the box, the photo item itself is actually called "Large Box")
Gestures
  1. Backflip
  2. Donut
  3. Hip Attack
  4. Skewer
  5. Tongue Out
  6. Wink
Chapter 3 items, of which there are 25.
Again, actually beating episode 14, etc.

Furniture
  1. Antique Mirror
  2. Basket
  3. Bookshelf
  4. Candle Chandelier
  5. Cat Bed
  6. Dining Chair
  7. Hanger Stand
  8. Houseplant
  9. Kettle
  10. Modern Bed
  11. Mosaic Curtains
  12. Mosaic Mirror
  13. Phone
  14. Pipe Bed
  15. Polka Dot Curtains
  16. Polka Dot Floor Mat
  17. Ratty Bed
  18. Ratty Floor Mat
  19. Rimmed Mirror
  20. Rough Table
  21. Round Table
  22. Shaggy Floor Mat
  23. Stool
  24. Succulent Plant
  25. Frame Mirror

Aaaand finally, once you have all 51 of those, you can get one final chest for that Ultimate Explorer Talisman, which you shouldn't forget. So you need to get 52 chests total!

Ultimate Explorer Talisman
  1. Ultimate Explorer Talisman

As always: if a hunt is giving you too much trouble, quit it and go back in. There are some areas where people can give terrible hints (even if unintentionally), and it's a waste of time to keep looking forever. If you quit and go back into it, you have a decent chance of getting placed closer to the chest, to the point that you might already hear the beeping for being near it!

You'll be given 4 hunts a day, and they're nice and give you 8 once you're near the end of the game. So just plan appropriately and you'll be fine; same goes for the tokens in general. I finally played this back in January (I'd only played a little upon release) when it seemed like it was about to go down then, and I played it pretty slowly, doing all the side stuff as I went, etc. and was totally fine token-wise without having to do anything extra cause I just played a bit every day. Just keep at it and get the daily stuff done, send out every challenge you do, and don't forget to actually progress in the game too instead of just checking in for the daily things, and you'll be solid.

Dude thanks this is great. Just one last question. So is it possible to get chests offline, just very slowly?

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Dude thanks this is great. Just one last question. So is it possible to get chests offline, just very slowly?

So, I believe the case is that you can go to the locations the chests spawn in for the hunts and there is a chance one will be there. But it would take a looooot of time to check all of those places, with no guarantee that there's anything at any of them, since I'm not sure anyone's certain of how the chests appearing like that actually works, and along those lines I'm not sure someone's even built a good map for where the spots are.

So it would be technically possible to do all this after the servers go down, assuming they actually do continue placing chests randomly for people at that point. But practically? I'd say it's impossible. I'm not sure I ever once encountered a chest in the wild (and if I did, it was only once or twice) and I Platinumed/did everything in the game, so... yeah, I'd say you want to get on this sooner rather than later.