crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Original article on The Washington Post's site.

Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) was kicked off the House Foreign Affairs Committee in a party-line vote that followed a contentious debate on the House floor Thursday morning that included yelling and Omar defending herself on the verge tears.

The resolution, once adopted, would explicitly condemn Omar for using an antisemitic trope to suggest Israel's allies in U.S. politics were motivated by money rather than principle when she in 2019 tweeted, "It's all about the Benjamins baby."

The resolution also disapproves of Omar's critiques of Israel and her comparison of actions by the United States to those of terrorist groups. She later clarified those comments, saying, "I was in no way equating terrorist organizations with democratic countries with well-established judicial systems."

Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.), while noting that Omar has made mistakes, forcefully defended her in a Thursday morning news conference, saying: "What's going to take place on the floor today is not a public policy debate. It's not about accountability. It's about political revenge."

Rep. Ken Buck (R-Colo.) also said Wednesday he would support the measure after McCarthy signaled a willingness to work on instituting a new rule that would make "it clearer and more difficult to remove people" from committees in the future. Other Republican aides familiar with internal whip counts said they have the votes to pass the measure Thursday.
In regard to the potential rules change, McCarthy previously said he would discuss with Jeffries how to ensure both parties prevent future majorities from removing members of the opposing party from committees.

Democrats have aggressively pushed back on Republicans trying to compare the rebuke of Omar to those of Greene and Gosar, saying that the violations are not the same.
"Congresswoman Omar never posted a video pretending to kill another member of Congress. She never advocated putting a bullet in the head of the speaker of the House of Representatives. …" Rep. Jim McGovern (D-Mass.) said on the House floor Wednesday. "No, those are things Republicans have done and have said."

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
Clearly what she did was just as bad, if not WORSE!! than posting a video about trying to kill others.

/s

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Remove people you don't like, then make it harder to remove your own people. Sound right.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Gotta make sure Israel feeling arent being hurt
This is total fucking bullshit. The way she has been treated there since the beginning has been completely awful.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The resolution, once adopted, would explicitly condemn Omar for using an antisemitic trope to suggest Israel's allies in U.S. politics were motivated by money rather than principle when she in 2019 tweeted, "It's all about the Benjamins baby."

Oh, okay, so they will also be adopting a resolution banning any Congress member from accepting money from AIPAC or any other Israeli Government lobbyists, right? Of course fucking not because she was telling the truth.

All US politics runs of open bribery but it is particularly egregious when it is a foreign government who wants support in committing genocide doing it.

Also, they will withdraw support for free speech or their "marketplace of ideas"? Let me laugh bitterly at the thought.

Last edited:

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
9499649624d890b46931a9a9c409d69e

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I hope she's ready to be the easy target for GOP brownie points for the next few years.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
"In regard to the potential rules change, McCarthy previously said he would discuss with Jeffries how to ensure both parties prevent future majorities from removing members of the opposing party from committees."

Yeah eat shit, "we are doing it but we want to make sure you can't easily do it to us in future" is such typical GOP horseshit. Fuck them and fuck anyone who supports this nonsense.

If anything America could do with having way more people from foreign nations who became us citizens on all committees, but the foreign affairs one in particular, especially seeing how a large number of these chucklefucks don't even know where a lot of other nations are in the first place.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's what can happen when they get the majority. That one tweet is going to haunt her for her entire life.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
...McCarthy previously said he would discuss with Jeffries how to ensure both parties prevent future majorities from removing members of the opposing party from committees.
Ain't this some bullshit. While after this incident, I can definitely understand why you'd want measures in place to prevent this sort of thing from happening, it's such horseshit that McCarthy only wants this rule so that the same can't be done so easily w/ republicans

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Ok … so kick her out AND THEN, work on a rule that makes it impossible to remove people.

Can't get upset at this stupidity.

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
Fuck McCarthy and Jeffries is an idiot if he tries to agree with McCarthy on a rule to make it harder to remove people in the future. McCarthy is a liar who promises one thing to one person and the opposite to a different person to get what he wants, ultimately screwing over one or both the people he made promises to. He cannot be trusted not to violate any deal.

McCarthy is counting on Jeffries and centrist Democrat's desire to keep normal order in congress to chain them to a foolish agreement after McCarthy just politically shot three Democrats in the head. Jeffries must resist this bullshit.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I hope she's ready to be the easy target for GOP brownie points for the next few years.
And I hope Democrats rally around her and push back hard every time without giving them an inch. In the past they've been inconsistent on that which just makes Republicans smell more blood in the water.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The thing that pisses me off is the false equivalency. Ilhan has never threatened fellow members of the house with death. Not a single Democrat has. But these fascists pitch a fit when they do after trying to overthrow the government. Yeah, totally the same thing going on.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
And I hope Democrats rally around her and push back hard every time without giving them an inch. In the past they've been inconsistent on that which just makes Republicans smell more blood in the water.
Yeah I hope so too. They've definitely done all they could to help put her in this position. Lately dems seem a bit more unified so i hope that doesnt continue to be the case... but... i dont have too much hope.

Bengraven