• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

Sales of Apple's Vision Pro headset have been so low that the company has been forced to drastically cut its shipment forecasts, meaning it expects to sell far fewer than previously thought over the next year. That's according to a recent report from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, and if it's true it will come as a bitter blow to Apple and the device it sees as its "next big thing."

Kuo is thought to have reliable sources inside Apple's supply chain. In a post on Medium, he claimed that "Apple has cut its 2024 Vision Pro shipments to 400-450k units." That's well below the "market consensus of 700-800k units or more," Kuo says.

The analyst pointed out that this cut has come before the Vision Pro has launched outside the United States, which means that "demand in the US market has fallen sharply beyond expectations." If Apple has struggled to sell the Vision Pro on its home turf, will it be able to turn things around elsewhere?

Kuo didn't give a reason for the apparently low shipments of the Vision Pro, but the device has come in for its fair share of criticism since launching. Complaints have focused on its high price and heavy weight, which can make it uncomfortable to wear over long periods of time.
Cutting the number of units Apple expects to sell will have a knock-on effect elsewhere, Kuo believes. For one thing, "there may be no new Vision Pro model in 2025," the report states. The updated Vision Pro had been expected at some point in the second half of 2025, says Kuo, but that now looks increasingly in doubt.

Not exactly surprising given the cost but still noteworthy with Apple's shipment forecast expectations being adjusted.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
People were actually buying that thing? Wasn't it like $20K or something? Lol

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Not surprised. VR is super cool when you first try it and then wears out it's welcome.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Kuo didn't give a reason for the apparently low shipments of the Vision Pro"

I can think of about 3500 reasons.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Not really surprised, VR has yet to take off, sadly, and it's an expensive af piece of hardware that I believe isn't getting native versions of very popular apps.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Half the price I can see it move units. Not alot but that's the sweet spot to get the earlier adopters.

As it stands I know no one who has it, and while I have seen it in the wild it was basically two different hype beast bros effectively wearing em as flair fashion status symbol.

Thisisme

Apr 14, 2018
$3500 with not enough reasons to use it. As a VR enthusiast, can't wait though for people to restart the "VR is doomed" rhetoric.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I tried on last week and here are the weaknesses I noticed:

Screen is not quite bright enough to replicate real life.
Screen blurs when you pan left to right.
Headset is kinda heavy (they used the shitty strap)

It was very sharp though. Just as sharp as real life when I wasn't panning.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
So there's approximately 400-450k rich cult members that will buy anything and everything Apple sells.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised. VR is super cool when you first try it and then wears out it's welcome.

No, you see, this isn't VR, this is "Spatial Computing"

I've said it a thousand times on here already, but the VR market is going nowhere so long as the formfactor is not literally just a pair of glasses. All other considerations and explanations for tepid adoption of the tech is superseded by that one singular design limitation.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
It has no software use case, and it has no good developer story. The app store has been a catastrophe for developers and when the only promise is "more of the same to a tiny user base" it's not a massive surprise that no one has been willing to make killer apps for it.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I am convinced this thing was made for youtubers to show off so when they announced a cheaper non-Pro version later for $900 people buy it.

If they actually thought the average consumer was going to drop $4000 (you know they hit you with the required accessories) on this thing, they are more out of touch than I expected.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I typically like apple stuff, but the biggest problem with VR is that I tend to switch between several things at once (eg. play a video game while talking to friends on IM while watching an LP while cooking something in the other room) and VR just doesn't seem like a very good option for that kind of deranged lifestyle.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
You can buy a used car for $3,500. The price of the AVP is insane. It's a cool device, but most people don't have that kind of disposable income.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Apple shpuld never have released vr until they figured out how to miniaturize it to Deus Ex Machina style facewear.

Shelling out several grand for bulky snowboarding goggles won't even catch a glance from anyone below the most techy of tech bros and apple fanatics, and evidently, apple's not even courting all of them.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Cut the price and weight and add controller support for games and we'll talk Apple.

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
After the Eddie Burback video, I definitely didn't want one. It seems so isolating in the worst way. Not to mention pointless…

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
skeptical there was truly that much high an expectation, but crazy if it was. operating under the assumption it's a "see where it goes 5-10 years" thing. I had to sleep on buying my Quest 3 even though it wouldn't be something that broke the bank for what it was

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I would 100% buy this at anything close to a reasonable price point, but it'll definitely take some time getting there.

machtia

Oct 29, 2017
I am convinced this thing was made for youtubers to show off so when they announced a cheaper non-Pro version later for $900 people buy it.

If they actually thought the average consumer was going to drop $4000 (you know they hit you with the required accessories) on this thing, they are more out of touch than I expected.
Didn't they basically admit they were targeting luxury consumers first to drum up interest in a more affordable model down the line?

The problem is that unlike with the iPhone, rich people don't have a reason to walk around in public with a headset on, so none of that free aspirational advertising is happening. It also doesn't demo well on video after the initial "look at how I can cook dinner with it" videos we all saw months ago.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
$1999 and a lot more people would bite, I think.

They'll get there eventually.

Nah, that's still way too high. It'll bump sales, but I think for a lot more people to bite it'll have to be about $1000. Maybe they can get away just above $1000, but it realistically has to be $1000 or less.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
VR headsets will NEVER be the future - no matter how many tech companies try to scam it into existence.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't think it has much to do with the price. There just isn't a market for VR at a level Apple is hoping for

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
The hardware - the tech, materials, design - feels worth every cent of the asking price. It's an incredible piece of kit and light years ahead of my Valve Index or Quest 3.

But, for the vast majority, that just isn't enough. There has to be an absolutely killer app to justify the experience, and it obviously isn't here, yet.

What IS surprising is how little Apple themselves have released content and apps since launch. Curious how big 2.0 at WWDC is gonna be.

All this said, Apple clearly has a 3-5+ year plan for this. I am certain whatever has unfolded over the last month or so isn't even a speedbump in their plans.

Last edited:

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
It's a $3500 AR/VR Headset with amazing tech, but with no clear reason(s) why you would want this and more importantly how it could beneficially integrate into your daily life.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Nah Im good. $3500 for an entertainment device just seems like a waste of money that could be better purposed elsewhere

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought this first version was expected to sell poorly since it was "focused on the developer market"? Otherwise it seems pretty obvious why it's not selling well…it costs $3500.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they'll get there eventually. Just isn't much reason to own one, even relative to existing market hardware. It's much more flash than substance currently, and Apple doesn't have first to market to lean back on like usual.

They'll need to break a cardinal rule and make it interoperable with PC to give it any chance of life, otherwise it'll be a long time coming before it can stand on its own.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I guess they overestimated the early adopter crowd.

Apple cut the price of the original iPhone by $200 a few months after launch. They're gonna need to do something similar here.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
apple must be living in lala land to release a $4000 products in this economy

Id rather use that money to go for a vacation at a nice all inclusive resorts. Thanks for the beta testers im sure its a good bookshelf or dust magnet lol

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this first version was expected to sell poorly since it was "focused on the developer market"? Otherwise it seems pretty obvious why it's not selling well…it costs $3500.

It's selling even more poorly than expected is what the report is saying. Of course they expected it to sell low and it's not even selling that much.

sfen

Nov 12, 2019
I fucking LOVE mine. streaming my PC games to it so I can play on a massive screen in the comfort of my living room with a floating YouTube video next to it has made gaming so much more relaxing

biggest critique is that it's truly quite heavy. that being said, I've been an early adopter for a ton of tech and this is by far the coolest/most futuristic-feeling thing I've ever owned

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, paying $3500 for a device that made everything take 10x longer than if you did it on a PC and also made you look like a complete pillock in public, isn't taking off? during a world wide cost of living crisis? Shocked I tell you.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
And the folks that were saying this $3,5000 HMD was going to sell well off of brand power alone and build a sizable passionate audience ala the iPod and iPad, how y'all feeling?

D23

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking LOVE mine. streaming my PC games to it so I can play on a massive screen in the comfort of my living room with a floating YouTube video next to it has made gaming so much more relaxing

biggest critique is that it's truly quite heavy. that being said, I've been an early adopter for a ton of tech and this is by far the coolest/most futuristic-feeling thing I've ever owned

Better than playing on a big oled with surround sound and an ipad so u an browse youtube?