• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
no shit lol

ppl don't got time and money for something that doesn't seem particularly necessary in any way.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Who knew that a goofy looking $3500 gadget wouldn't sell very well in the current economic environment. Shocking stuff.

Maybe lower the price a couple grand and it might sell a bit better.

sfen

Nov 12, 2019
Interesting: i cant imagine playing competitive game on that thing lol. After a while i feel like my face woudl hurt a lot
yeah I will say the default setup is quite uncomfortable. ended up buying a $20 strap off of Amazon that bridges the middle of my head and makes it sit so much more comfortably. kinda ridiculous that I need to mod this incredibly expensive headset but leave it to Apple to prioritize looks above all else -_-

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
the fuck did they expect for a $3500 thing no one needs

It's the beta though. I could see it taking off when it hits that sweet spot of sick tech + good battery + remotely reasonable price.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
100%. I have a home theater setup that I put a lot of money into and now hardly use lol
I just can't imagine spending money on an audio setup and then using something worse. The audio aspect alone is why a headset won't replace watching movies and TV on one for me.

sfen

Nov 12, 2019
I just can't imagine spending money on an audio setup and then using something worse. The audio aspect alone is why a headset won't replace watching movies and TV on one for me.
yeah totally fair. for me the portability + flexibility wins out — I can have something approximating my home theater setup in any room, even in my bed or on a plane. but it definitely is not equivalent certainly from an audio perspective

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK

Same. I recently upgraded my speakers and sub and it's transformative.

Decent sound adds so much to the viewing experience.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
who the fuck wants to have this fucking thing wrapped around they head all fuckin day, let alone for the two hours it takes to watch a movie

i dont even like wearing a watch, how the fuck am i gonna be sold on GOGGLES that gotta recharge every three hours

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
who the fuck wants to have this fucking thing wrapped around they head all fuckin day, let alone for the two hours it takes to watch a movie

i dont even like wearing a watch, how the fuck am i gonna be sold on GOGGLES that gotta recharge every three hours

Think of how much more shitposting you can get done with giant monitors all around you.

Spatial shitposting.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

yeah this is the other thing

i already want to die staring at monitors and phone screens all day every day

now you want me to strap a screen to my eyeballs after all that? fuuuuuuck that.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Think of how much more shitposting you can get done with giant monitors all around you.

Spatial shitposting.
i seen how typing works on this fucker, my shitposting would be GLACIAL

and i aint giving the robot my voice, theyll end up using it in 200 years for ads for pudding or some shit

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If they actually thought the average consumer was going to drop $4000 (you know they hit you with the required accessories) on this thing, they are more out of touch than I expected.
They didn't think that all.

Like the article says, they were expecting well under a million in sales. The purpose of this product was never to make a lot of sales, especially not to average people.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017

Agreed.
And I think the idea that wearing your computer/phone and integrating it into an AR/VR sorta thing is an off-putting proposition no matter how well it works, or how cheap it is to buy. I don't buy that it's an inevitable or a desirable future for personal computing.

Frankly, outside of some specialized application for it, both AR and VR are unnecessary for the regular user.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
AR implementations are never going to get widespread acceptance until they fit them into glasses frames. People don't want to wear big things around their heads for significant periods of time.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
I feel like the headset is stuck in an awkward middle ground. For use outside the house, I'd rather have lighter AR glasses. For use inside the house, I'd rather have something lighter that streams from a nearby box instead of cramming everything into the headset.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Well the product actually made me look at the Quest 3 and made me realize it's pretty solid for the money lol. My brother ended up buying one of those.

If it weren't for the Vision Pro then I probably never would have cared to pay attention.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
you knew it was a wrap when netflix said they weren't going to make app just for it

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
It's an amazing device I still love to use and do use almost daily. But the biggest issue is certain devs intentionally handicapping it. No google apps at all is a big one.
I also think its so gimped without a local Mac they really missed their moment with it.

It needed to a Mac and a VR iPad. The Mac needs to exist as an app inside it and not a device that networks on it. Vision OS is great for non keyboard and mouse use functions but to really replace my Mac it needs to be one too. Do that and I won't buy another iPad or Mac ever again.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
"i bought a $4000 device a month ago and use it every day"

shocking

Oct 27, 2017
Conceptually it's unique and nice but not for $3500 and with its caveats. Like putting a PC in your palm with a smartphone, I don't see this working unless it's basically the same form, shape and size of regular glasses. Idk if that will ever happen tho or anytime soon, I'm not up to do on tech.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
The obvious reason is that only the people most excited about it are willing to pay $4k, and these same people are the most likely to want it early.

That might not be the actual reason. But it's my headcanon.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
LOL. I'm sure Apple has been so friendly to other platforms, Google should be falling over themselves to please Apple.
It's literally not even them having to do work, it's them opting out to have their iPad apps run. It's a spite move so they can keep the google apps exclusive for their own headset with Samsung. Which is fair for them to do, they know that we then have to link our MacBooks to our headset, or use the web browser for it.

Nomujoa

Oct 30, 2017
As others have mentioned - the devices home media consumption on this device is the best entertainment experience outside of those with home cinemas. (as someone with a full SS and 65OLED) - but that alone is not worth the price of entry on the device.

Apple themselves have failed to develop in a timely fashion content or software - and it falls to them to flash out this V1 device. It feels like Apple don`t have a team to adequately support this product category - and hoped that developers would fill that void by themselves. Even companies like Microsoft that have ported their suite of iPad apps over to the Vision Pro natively, have not produced the Authenticator app that would allow them to function for most consumers.

The devices hardware issues (outside of the manufacturing issues with the right speaker + front glass) can be modified with a better first part default head strap out of the box for an international release, and given how fast 3rd party manufacturing have moved into the market I hope that Apple will take the amount of issues people have with weight seriously.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I remember being told that my skepticism was unwarranted and that it would sell well.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I am not suggesting anyone should be swayed to spend $3500 for the privilege, but the movie watching experience truly is spectacular.

I have an 85" flagship Samsung 4K TV and a full Sonos surround setup (Arc + 2x 300 + 2x Sub Gen 3), and the Vision Pro movie watching experience is equally as immersive. And you can experience on a plane.

3D/HFR content like Avatar 2? Is legit multiple times better than watching it in Dolby Cinema at release.

You lose out on the bass, for sure. But if you can be okay with that, the dialogue is more clear, the ATMOS has more separation and clear direction, and the image quality is phenomenal. And of course, it truly feeling like your own personal 50 foot theater screen is unlike anything else.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
you know whats cool about a TV

NEz00p1.png

vnKxIMh.png

jim2011

Oct 27, 2017
I had it for the first 10 days it was out. It was amazing for movie watching and I would have kept it EXCEPT it's not comfortable. I tried multiple light seals and could never get one that fit well. The weight was also an issue even with trying hacks like an additional strap to go over the top of your head along with the solo band, or two solo bands. I am actually surprised at the lack of 3rd party light seals and other straps but I guess it's because the market is small. I strongly prefer the comfort of my Quest 3 with Elite Strap.