• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Some ridiculous prices numbers being thrown around here. Unless Apple adopts a loss leader model (unlikely), not sure how anyone can expect this to be cheaper than a MacBook Pro.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Shocking but not surprising?

That it's selling poorly is no surprise but That the numbers are half of a figure for something Apple didn't expect to be a big mover anyway is something

Oct 25, 2017
www.uploadvr.com

No, Apple Didn't Really Cut Vision Pro Production By 50%

Headlines are circulating claiming Apple cut Vision Pro production by almost 50% due to weak demand. But here's why this is almost certainly false.
The source of these articles is a new note from supply-chain analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who has been reporting on Apple's supply chain for more than 10 years. Kuo's claims sometimes turn out to be true, but not always, and his latest contradicts not only what we know about Vision Pro production, but what Kuo himself said just a few months ago.
Kuo claims this is due to weaker than expected US demand, leading to a production cut ahead of global launch. Yet as recently as February Kuo said Apple's US target for 2024 was 150-200K units, and in January he said Apple sold almost 200K preorders. MacRumors separately cited "a source with knowledge of Apple's sales numbers" as saying Apple had sold 200K preorders, particularly ironic given it's now presenting Kuo's claim and as if it were official news.
Further, in January Kuo was referencing Apple Vision Pro "achieving a shipment volume of 500,000 units" as the goal. This isn't just a random number - it's what multiple sources report is Apple's supply limit for the year, regardless of demand.
The Financial Times, The Information, and The Elec have previously reported that Vision Pro production is heavily constrained by the extremely limited supply of micro-OLED displays. All three sources reported that Sony, the supplier, can only produce enough micro-OLED displays for less than half a million headsets in 2024. Given this, why would this claimed "market consensus" have been 700-750K headset units in the first place? It simply doesn't make sense.
With a $3500 entry price Apple Vision Pro was never going to be a breakout mass market hit. The product's very name suggests it's just the beginning of the Vision headset line, and multiple sources have reported that Apple plans a much more affordable model later in the decade. But Vision Pro's price is dictated by its production and supply constraints, and it's those constraints limiting its volume, not lower than expected demand.

Don't believe everything you read.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
This product was dead well before they got it into production. They knew it and shipped it anyway. VR headsets are still years and years away from commercial viability due to weight, power, cost, and battery life.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
VR isn't going to take off with the masses until the technology is miniaturized to literally the size of sunglasses. Needs to be as easy to use as putting on a pair of glasses, and would need to be stylish too. Otherwise it will always be a niche enthusiast thing. So maybe 25 years from now.
FTFY

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
A version for $2500 would be a nice sweet spot.

But I know never to buy an Apple product until it's 3rd or 4th iteration.

Would love to see a V2 of this product

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
400k is a pretty good number for the price, and especially when you realize that Apple's grand vision for their revolutionary spatial computing paradigm is flat screens hanging in the air to use iphone apps.

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
I read a lot of how people using the product every day kinda changed their lifes for the better, like it's the best thing ever even here on this forum, I wonder if they still use it

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Screen is not quite bright enough to replicate real life.

Interesting. A video I happened to watch on tech for VR screens explains why it's the case. IIRC, basically a screen's original brightness, even at 1000nits gets cut down as you put lenses and other processing shit in front of it. Will need super super bright display tech.

As always with VR headsets, it's a case of waiting for the tech to get better. And cheaper.

Oct 25, 2017
I've said it a thousand times on here already, but the VR market is going nowhere so long as the formfactor is not literally just a pair of glasses.
Soon.

650b4a7952714044b5561fed_visorsocials.png

Launching later this year supposedly.

The tech is getting real close.

Icarian

May 9, 2018
Having something strapped to your face is just too cumbersome. It doesn't matter how good the tech is if it's a hassle to use.

Doom

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Honestly those numbers aren't even bad to begin with. It's multiple years early and at a completely undesirable price point.

If the first iPhone released in 2005 for 2300$ it would've done similarly low numbers.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Apple better keeps having faith in the product to be able to make an affordable version or else the avp will go the way of the HoloLens.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Too expensive and too inconvenient.

First they need to make it as convenient as putting on glasses. Then it needs to be significantly cheaper than the current price.

This will either never happen or somewhere many years down the line.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
They put eyes on the display that face outward.

I'll never be able to stop laughing at that.

apple-vision-pro-eyesight.png

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The insanely overpriced AR headset that nobody wished for is not selling like hotcakes anymore?
Woah, shocking news

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Further, in January Kuo was referencing Apple Vision Pro "achieving a shipment volume of 500,000 units" as the goal. This isn't just a random number - it's what multiple sources report is Apple's supply limit for the year, regardless of demand.
So basically 'Apple on track to sell all Vision Pro headsets they can make'? Guess that's not as catchy as saying it's doomed.

Not sure what people were expecting, it was always going to be something for a minority of users. This is V1 and apparently it's already an incredible experience. Is it expensive? Yes. Is it niche? Yes. Over time though the cost will come down, the device will shrink down, it'll become more user friendly and developers will think of new and exciting ways to utilise the technology.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm no Apple enthusiast so I don't know but do they give out sales numbers for any of their devices, can we expect official numbers one day?

Still crossing my fingers for this device to sell enough and evolve over time, the more VR/AR investments the better, shit is still far too expensive and cumbersome.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
They didn't go after the only people interested in wearing something like that, VR gamers lmao.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
It's a $3,500 novelty with extremely marginal utility.

Even with the Apple branding I'm shocked it sold more than 100k, and even more shocked expectations were close to a million.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I mean make sense. Youtubers and Tiktokkers get it to make video's.
But ones that has passed nobody is gonna spent that money

Oct 27, 2017
Every amazing piece of hardware needs software. And avp just doesn't have anything compelling enough. It's puzzling how uncreative apple's own software offerings are on this thing.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Im happy this exists as a product since I dont want this one, I want like, the tenth one

However, its no real mystery why this is failing to make an impact and they all know why. They have to play the PR game and say some bullshit, but they know. The alternative is that they're completely out of sync with what regular people are like which is also believable if you watch, well, any apple conference, but theyve earned some benefit of the doubt.

Oct 29, 2017
Every amazing piece of hardware needs software. And avp just doesn't have anything compelling enough. It's puzzling how uncreative apple's own software offerings are on this thing.

Yeah. This would be cool if Apple had any fun with it. Instead all built-in apps are virtual iPads.

The tech is cool, and this is a good 1st gen device to develop for. I mean the dev experience is already a country mile ahead of Oculus.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and not just that, but even the things Apple is trying to sell in their marketing material seem so uninspired and... downright visionless (pun very much intended).

There's basically no actual AR / XR to be seen, it's all just floating windows or a bit of (but not too much) 3D environments. There's like a gazillion cameras on this thing but it's all either passthrough or gesture identification.

That's just... boring.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
This product was dead well before they got it into production. They knew it and shipped it anyway. VR headsets are still years and years away from commercial viability due to weight, power, cost, and battery life.
No, they didn't know. Can we please stop pretending Apple is some kind of incredible magic wizard group knowing the future and never doing wrong? They didn't put a 4000$ device on the market because "they knew". No freaking company would do that. They expected the hype to latch on and at least sell a good bunch of these things to hardcore fans, influencer watchers, techbros and cryptobois. They expected to take over VR within weeks. They expected developers to salivate over shooting out apps onto the store on basically day one. None of these things happened.

I've never seen an apple product where hype inflated and completely puffed out so quickly like with this. It's an absolute failure in terms of its launch and opening weeks, and no amount of "yes but what might be in 10 years" will change that. In 5 years, there's not suddenly gonna be a Vision Pro 5, for 1000 bucks, sized like regular sunglasses with even more impressive tech. R&D and costs for any 2.0 must be completely off the charts, and there's no way it's prioritized anywhere at Apple at the moment. Like, why would it? Nobody bought this thing, and everyone who did already has it collecting dust. All the big Youtubers telling you how this is the future _never_ got seen again with the AVP on head after their initial video. All those "I'll wear this _EVERYWHERE_" tech weirdos and Apple super fans were never heard of or seen again after a week.

This was a gigantic flop, and if we see anything new in terms of Vision Pro hardware within like 5 years even, I will happily eat crow.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
This doesn't make any sense after all the effort they put in to market it as NOT a VR device and by giving it almost no VR content.
They branded it as "spatial computing" because they know the terms VR/AR are scorched earth. Yet _everything_ they showed was VR/AR. You're gonna actually tell me you suck up marketing phrases this easily while looking at the tech industry via era for years now? Come on, we don't need to pay pretend here.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
They branded it as "spatial computing" because they know the terms VR/AR are scorched earth. Yet _everything_ they showed was VR/AR. You're gonna actually tell me you suck up marketing phrases this easily while looking at the tech industry via era for years now? Come on, we don't need to pay pretend here.
I'm not playing pretend, there was hardly any VR content (nor APIs), that's actually the main problem of the device, they thought they could leapfrog the existing market, but with no vision for spatial computing it currently serves nobody.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't understand how they thought there was a consumer market for it when it costs $3500.

And here is where I think Apple has really fumbled it with the AVP: the branding.

There isn't a consumer market for this headset, and Apple clearly doesn't think there is. It isn't priced for the mass market, it doesn't have a big suite of apps or games, it's only available in the US, everything about it screams "v1". This is blatantly for developers who need something to test on and for big companies to evaluate how they can use this shiny new toy in their organisations. That way, when the consumer-grade model(s) launch, everything and everyone will be ready to lap it up.

And yet, they called it the "Pro", a name which normally, in Apple land, means "Expensive but worth the cash if you want the power". You don't have to be a professional at anything creative-related to want an iPad Pro, or a MacBook Pro, or an iPhone Pro.

I honestly think this whole kerfuffle could've been avoided had they simply called it the "Apple Vision Enterprise" or something similar.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
And here is where I think Apple has really fumbled it with the AVP: the branding.

There isn't a consumer market for this headset, and Apple clearly doesn't think there is. It isn't priced for the mass market, it doesn't have a big suite of apps or games, it's only available in the US, everything about it screams "v1". This is blatantly for developers who need something to test on and for big companies to evaluate how they can use this shiny new toy in their organisations. That way, when the consumer-grade model(s) launch, everything and everyone will be ready to lap it up.

And yet, they called it the "Pro", a name which normally, in Apple land, means "Expensive but worth the cash if you want the power". You don't have to be a professional at anything creative-related to want an iPad Pro, or a MacBook Pro, or an iPhone Pro.

I honestly think this whole kerfuffle could've been avoided had they simply called it the "Apple Vision Enterprise" or something similar.

The bigger problem is that it's a bad developer headset because the cost of entry is extremely high and there's no chance of ROI for developers, and developer trust in Apple in in the toilet due to years of their behaviour.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The bigger problem is that it's a bad developer headset because the cost of entry is extremely high and there's no chance of ROI for developers, and developer trust in Apple in in the toilet due to years of their behaviour.

If you're an independent developer, sure. I was thinking more about software teams in larger companies.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
If you're an independent developer, sure. I was thinking more about software teams in larger companies.

It's no better in larger companies. You can't take a punt on a hit in a large company, you'd have to demonstrate a business plan. What is the business plan for the Apple Vision Pro for a corporate? "It's got no user base, so you won't make any money. Apple might make a cheaper accessible one at some point but they might not and they certainly won't tell us. You have to spend a really non-trivial amount on Unity developer licenses. There are precious few libraries and devs with the relevant skill sets are expensive and could be doing more profitable things. If you do have a good idea Apple will probably steal it and give themselves preferential treatment, and even if you come up with something you've probably got to watch 30% of your revenue walking out of the door and the arbitrary approval mess that makes corporate teams despite iOS development. The liability terms are insane, with no upside to balance them. The headsets are set up to be actively hostile between passing around staff to do testing and development."

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's no better in larger companies. You can't take a punt on a hit in a large company, you'd have to demonstrate a business plan. What is the business plan for the Apple Vision Pro for a corporate? "It's got no user base, so you won't make any money. Apple might make a cheaper accessible one at some point but they might not and they certainly won't tell us. You have to spend a really non-trivial amount on Unity developer licenses. There are precious few libraries and devs with the relevant skill sets are expensive and could be doing more profitable things. If you do have a good idea Apple will probably steal it and give themselves preferential treatment, and even if you come up with something you've probably got to watch 30% of your revenue walking out of the door and the arbitrary approval mess that makes corporate teams despite iOS development. The liability terms are insane, with no upside to balance them. The headsets are set up to be actively hostile between passing around staff to do testing and development."

Porting existing apps for the most part.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
I see a lot of "VR has yet to take off" takes in the first couple of pages.

Apart from the price, one of the issues with the AVP is that it's barely a VR device. It's primary use case is AR and media consumption. That's a LOT of dollars to give for that. Especially since the design is form over function so it's not comfortable to use for longer periods. Also, the Eye-shield only makes sense in promo videos (where they oversell the functionality). In the real world, it's just added weight and cost with little benefit.

What do I mean with "it's barely a VR device":
-It's primarily designed to be used sitting. Apparently the Micro-Oleds have even worse persistence than the PSVR2 screens but by having the primary use being seated, you rarely notice because you don't move around as much.
-Games is looooow on the priority list. AFAIK, dev's can't access the eyetracking feature which means you are severely limited in the resources available to render the game. Or any app with fancy graphics for that matter.
-By not having controllers you get a lot of freedom, but you also miss out on the immersion you get from a controller's buttons and rumble - both of which help selling the "being there".

As it is, it has a fantastic screen, bad ergonomics, no controllers, barely any VR games. Had it been a "real" mac and able to run OSX software, then that might change things quite a lot for the creative crowd. It's a fascinating first effort and stuff like the ergonomics will definitely be improved in future revisions. But for first movers, I don't think it offers enough. I mean, nothing would be "enough" at that price but some rabid gamers (like me!) would pay top dollar for a stupendous gaming experience. This isn't it though.

Last edited:

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
So, this story is being refuted. Seems like this ought to get added to the OP.

The UploadVR defense article is pretty bad. The author even misquotes his own previous reporting. Take this part:

The Financial Times, The Information, and The Elec have previously reported that Vision Pro production is heavily constrained by the extremely limited supply of micro-OLED displays. All three sources reported that Sony, the supplier, can only produce enough micro-OLED displays for less than half a million headsets in 2024. Given this, why would this claimed "market consensus" have been 700-750K headset units in the first place? It simply doesn't make sense.

However if you click through the first link it says this:

Wall Street analysts' forecasts for sales of the Vision Pro vary widely, from the low hundreds of thousands to several million in its first year. At the time of the headset's unveiling a month ago, Wedbush predicted Apple would ship around 150,000 units in the first year, while Morgan Stanley's estimate was around 850,000 and Goldman Sachs believed it could reach as many as 5mn shipments in 2024.

And if you click through the third link it says this:

Japanese tech giant Sony, which is supplying the panel used by Apple for its new mixed reality device Vision Pro, has a capacity of 900,000 units of these panels per year, TheElec has learned.

I'm not a professional reporter, but I'm pretty sure that 900K is not "less than half a million".

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Yep, in the past Apple could get by, by having a relative first mover advantage (and much lower development hurdles). Now Meta has a much bigger market and much more advanced APIs. And as Primal Sage said, even the things that make it relatively unique like eye-tracking, are off limits to developers, so they are not creating a USP for itself.

Outside of thinking daddy Apple will be good for it, there is really no reason for anyone to currently pick the AVP over the Meta Quest as development platform, and daddy Apple has been consistently eroding developer trust.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Problem is you look stupid wearing it. Google Glass had the same problem. They need something attractive if you're gonna put it on your face. These tech companies can be a bit too geeky for the masses.