• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
The U.K. education watchdog says some young children have forgotten how to eat with a knife and fork and others have regressed into diapers as the coronavirus pandemic takes a toll on young peoples' learning

LONDON -- Some young children have forgotten how to eat with a knife and fork and others have regressed back into diapers as the coronavirus pandemic and related school closures take a toll on young peoples' learning, the U.K. education watchdog said Tuesday.

The Office for Standards in Education, Children's Services and Skills., known as Ofsted, published five reports based on findings from more than 900 visits to education and social care providers across England since September. Some of the children most affected by the disruption of the pandemic were those in their earliest years of education with working parents, who "experienced the double whammy of less time with parents and less time with other children," chief inspector Amanda Spielman said.

She said teachers reported some toilet-trained students needing to use diapers again and "others who had forgotten some basic skills they had mastered, such as eating with a knife and fork – not to mention the loss of early progress in words and numbers."

abcnews.go.com

Report: Children lose basic skills under virus restrictions

The U.K. education watchdog says some young children have forgotten how to eat with a knife and fork and others have regressed into diapers as the coronavirus pandemic takes a toll on young peoples' learning

How is your young kid doing, Parent-Era?

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
My gut reaction is either the parents or whoever is watching the kids aren't doing their job, because...what?

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
My gut reaction is either the parents or whoever is watching the kids aren't doing their job, because...what?
Because they have to work from 9-5 and that does not go hand in hand with watching your children from 9-5. Also child in solitude vs children playing and learning with others etc. etc.

This is just one of the many reasons why schools are the top priority of staying open, at least elementary.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Uh.....what in the world at that first sentence.

How?

I worry about education quality since I'm doing most of the teaching, but regression like that is weird.

Sounds like the kids are being ignored/not cared for properly. Are child care places overwhelmed? Are the people in the child care places just showing up and not actually helping/teaching these kids?

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This has got to be exaggerated. I have a toddler that has been out of school since March and I work from home so can't give a lot of attention. They still eat and poop and pee like they've been taught. They are also now addicted to ipad and Switch ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
This has got to be exaggerated. I have a toddler that has been out of school since March and I work from home so can't give a lot of attention. They still eat and poop and pee like they've been taught
'It didn't happen to my child, it must be exaggerated'

????????

Dec 12, 2017
This has got to be exaggerated. I have a toddler that has been out of school since March and I work from home so can't give a lot of attention. They still eat and poop and pee like they've been taught
I have my doubts about the article, but it's mind blowing how people don't understand that anecdotes are exactly that, anecdotes.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I could half see numbers getting worse, maybe words at a push but the rest, that sounds ridiculous?

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
My daughter is doing well, but my wife and I are fortunate to be able to work from home and help out as needed. She misses her friends at school, but she doesn't want to go back because she doesn't feel that the classroom is currently a safe choice. We make sure that she sees her friends on Facebook video chat, Zoom and Minecraft daily. I've even set up Zoom lunch sessions with her school friends two to three days each week.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Conservative economic policy making it so that both parents have to work full time to afford a place to live and kids is what is hurting children.

Zen

Nov 1, 2017
Not all can afford that or have relatives/friends to divert to. The solution seems clear, but it's not easy at all.
Right, but even then I find it hard to believe unless the hired babysitter is doing nothing. Or unless the parents are leaving the kids alone by themselves for 8 hours a day.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
Kids been in OT and Speech Therapy, which has helped things a lot. He doesn't "need" them but they help with overall development. He was doing it before Rona hit but we took a break and noticed him going off rails again being confined to home so started it back up again.

ruxtpin

Oct 30, 2017
PA
Can confirm; pulled my adult diapers out of the closet and reverted to my orange spork. Trump would be proud.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I just read the headline, but I interpreted it that ALL children in the UK lost those skills. I guess a better headline would of been "Some Children", but I see it now that I'm reading the article.

I believe it, that some kids lose some of these essential skills since they need to be practiced until they are mastered

Last edited:

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
My son is 20 months old. He still uses his utensils and is starting to tell us when he goes "potty" in his diaper which is a good sign that he is getting ready to be potty trained. So I think my wife and I are doing the right things?

Now dont get me wrong, my wife works from home full time while caring for our son while I'm partially working from home to give her a "break" and concentrate on actual work. It is stressful as FUCK.

Silver lining is the extra time we wouldn't have gotten to spend with our little buddy. It is nice seeing him grow.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
How is your young kid doing, Parent-Era?
That's terrible to hear.

We've been doing great. Keeping up with requirements for kindergarten. We actually potty-trained my younger one and started working on a second language with all of them during this.

But let's acknowledge some of the privileges we have. My wife is not working and can dedicate time to them while I am at work.

Mar 3, 2018
Regression is a real thing in child development.

There are many instances of children that get potty trained, then go on vacation and forget it and regress back. The environment, daily schedule, and tons of factors influence it. Its not always about "omg parents are not doing the right job"

Now imagine you are a child in the pandemic. For months you could not see your friends, couldn't go to most of your favorite places and so many other things piled on. You have adults mental health collapsing, so not sure why people are shocked that its also affecting children.

Last edited:

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017

The hell is happening here? how is this even possible? I get that parents are working but they're not working 24 hours a day, there's surely no way this is possible.

MattEnth

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Right, hence including babysitters/caretakers.

Was in the Bay Area... and the price of a babysitter skyrocketted in March and still hasn't come back down.

There are some Facebook groups that have organized around the idea of 5-6 families splitting a babysitter, but that doesn't work with young children (let's say 6 and under).

My wife and I moved to Wyoming so we could put our 19-month-old in daycare after Bay Area centers all shut down.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Right, but even then I find it hard to believe unless the hired babysitter is doing nothing. Or unless the parents are leaving the kids alone by themselves for 8 hours a day.

Even if they can afford to hire a babysitter, remember, they're hiring a babysitter, not a preschool teacher. Not every babysitter is going to take on the responsibility of covering what the child is missing in school, especially if it's a poor family who desperately needs someone to step in because both parents work.

It's really not that hard to believe.

Jan 29, 2018
I'm sure kids are regressing in this environment, but there aren't a lot of hard numbers in that article.

I just fear the takeaway from this is going to be "we need to open schools" and not "we need to do a much better job getting this pandemic so we can open schools".

My wife's school is talking about going back to in-person school ASAP and the entire discussion is around what will happen when kids inevitably get sick (weirdly, not a lot of discussion around what happens when a teacher gets sick). They aren't really talking about prevention other than keeping the windows open and asking kids to wear masks. I'm sure there's a way to safely reopen given the right resources, but I do not trust for a second that schools will actually get and properly utilize those resources.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Because they have to work from 9-5 and that does not go hand in hand with watching your children from 9-5.

My wife and I are seriously out our breaking point. She works from as early as 6am to as late as 1am depending on the day. I work overnights full time and still need to be awake and ready to help my oldest with his virtual lessons and homework/projects. My son has austism and it can be extra challenging paired with his younger brother.

They sent us another level in the mail asking if we planned on continuing virtual learning after the Winter Break. After 2 nights and arguing and wrestling with our own selfish emotions, we of course decided to continue the online lessons. I'm ashamed to admit that it was not an easy decision to make.

I guess I say all that to say, please have some empathy for parents who are trying their best to keep it together right now. This shit is hard.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

There are many instances of children that get potty trained, then go on vacation and forget it and regress back. The environment, daily schedule and sons of factor influence it. Its not always about "omg parents are not doing the right job"

Now imagine you are a child in the pandemic. For months you could not see your friends, couldn't go to most of your favorite places and so many other things piled on. You have adults mental health collapsing, so not sure why people are shocked that its also affecting children.

This makes more sense to me. Especially that last sentence...

Maybe it's picky but I think the issue people are probably having here is that the article doesn't mention specific ages, despite admittedly saying "young children". Sounds a bit much if you're still thinking of somewhat older kids; it's a lot easier to understand if they were just learning these things.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
What in the fuck at some of the responses in this thread.

This shouldn't be surprising, there was always risk of this. The question hasn't been "will this happen" but rather "is it severe enough to risk opening schools, etc".

Zen

Nov 1, 2017

There are many instances of children that get potty trained, then go on vacation and forget it and regress back. The environment, daily schedule and sons of factor influence it. Its not always about "omg parents are not doing the right job"

I see that makes sense. It becomes more difficult to retain those skills when the kid is still learning to put them to habit. It works as a shift to their learning environment and that makes it easier to forget the potty training and hand dexterity when their schedule is now different. Is that correct? We learn more easily through repetition and consistency and covid has messed with that.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The hell is happening here? how is this even possible? I get that parents are working but they're not working 24 hours a day, there's surely no way this is possible.
Part of me wonders if it's where kids have missed out on some of the peer-to-peer learning where they encourage each other to try new things, to be more independent, to copy each other doing things on their own and being praised for it. My five-year-old has come on in leaps and bounds in terms of independence and trying new things since being at school.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I am glad my daughter is older (15, 16 in two months) and luckily this hasn't had much of an impact on her at all. But it's really sad for the younger children. I can't wait till this pandemic is over.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
My kindergartner is doing alright. He does fine with class, but he's only got about half a day of school. And there is basically no class on Wednesday and Thursday.

Trying to work on stuff in the afternoon is a nightmare. It's always been hard to get him to work on stuff at home, so this isn't new. He just isn't motivated, even if I bribe him with tv/treats.

But I really wish he had more time with his teacher because he is much more willing to work with her. I'm pretty sure he's not as advanced as he would be if we were under normal circumstances.

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
My 7yo daughter thrived during in person instruction. Now with the virtual option she is just in the middle of the pack. We're trying our best, but we're not professional teachers.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
My 6 yo is lonely but otherwise fine learning progress wise. We are doing distance learning for him. We try to get him face-time with his friends and family who are away from us, and get him some time with his same age cousin every couple of months.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is probably like a lost year for really young children.

My kids are generally do well in school but I have noticed it is harder for them to pick up concepts over the computer that in person they get right away.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017

Potty training is hard even without a pandemic. Reverting to diapers is not unusual. Almost every parent has reached near breaking point when it comes to potty training.

Zen

Nov 1, 2017
Was in the Bay Area... and the price of a babysitter skyrocketted in March and still hasn't come back down.

There are some Facebook groups that have organized around the idea of 5-6 families splitting a babysitter, but that doesn't work with young children (let's say 6 and under).

My wife and I moved to Wyoming so we could put our 19-month-old in daycare after Bay Area centers all shut down.
Even if they can afford to hire a babysitter, remember, they're hiring a babysitter, not a preschool teacher. Not every babysitter is going to take on the responsibility of covering what the child is missing in school, especially if it's a poor family who desperately needs someone to step in because both parents work.

It's really not that hard to believe.
Damn...I have a world of new considerations to think about with regards to having a kid of our own.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I see that makes sense. It becomes more difficult to retain those skills when the kid is still learning to put them to habit. It works as a shift to their learning environment and that makes it easier to forget the potty training and hand dexterity when their schedule is now different. Is that correct? We learn more easily through repetition and consistency and covid has messed with that.
Consistency and routine is a huge part of it for young children. Even the smallest loss of structure is going to have an effect on some children, as while parents try their best, there will also be a difference in the loss of time spent learning from other kids too. Generally the more points of influence they have the better, I think, and I wouldn't be surprised if losing access to adults other than their parents (e.g. teachers, grandparents, nursery staff etc), and their peers, is going to slow them down a bit or regress in some cases. Where parents are stressed and exhausted too doesn't help.

Regression is also normal in some cases. My daughter went from having dry nights, getting out of nappies for a while, to wetting the bed every other night for a few weeks, to then being dry again.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
My kid's clearly quite bored at this point, since he can't see other kids much and hasn't been seeing grandparents much either. Between watching him and working at the same time, it's basically double shift work, and we don't have the energy or time to give him the same variety of activities that a day care would. It's literally a choice between being so unproductive at work that you put your job into jeopardy, or cutting back on the amount of attention and care that you want to give to your kids. It's a fucking shitty choice.

We try to juggle both as best we can, but that leaves very little time for me and my wife, and we've both been varying levels of burnt out for months because of it.

Sure, there are day cares and babysitters, but those are hard to find even outside of pandemics, and you're also risking exposure that way as well. Our day care person has kids herself, and those kids go to school. It's not hard to imagine her kids picking up covid, passing it to their mom, who then passes it to our kid, who then passes it to us or his grandparents. It's a fear we have to deal with every day.

No regression, but I do think his learning has slowed a little, though that's hard to tell because kid learning naturally has an ebb and flow anyway. We did potty train him during lockdown, though. My main worry is that he's missed out on months of interacting with other kids his age, and the social skills associated with them.

Damn...I have a world of new considerations to think about with regards to having a kid of our own.
In my area in Canada, we had to start looking for day cares while my wife was pregnant. For a day care that will take him at like 1 or 1.5 years old. That's how long the waiting list is.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Because it's through school they were learning these things. Some kids come into the school system were their parents haven't taught them these things, and even though it's not a teachers job to teach them it, they will do because the kid needs to learn them regardless (potty training is a kind of separate issue as a teacher is really not meant to be left alone with a child in the bathroom and the parent really does have to do it). This happened before the pandemic - source: my mother was a nursery teacher and has dealt with this issue a longtime. This is exasperated by pandemic as kids are no longer in school, so there's no one keeping them up with the skills they learnt. For example there was already a massive difference (which affects a child long term and keeps snowballing) between a child who gets read to at school and a child who also gets read to be their parents in ability. The pandemic is expanding that difference. The big issue is they are never going to decrease that difference as even if you teach the child this skills again the other children that don't need taught them will be ahead and learning more and new skills so the difference just continues onward exponentially. That's why there's a lot of professionals that have wanted to keep the schools open during the pandemic as the loss of learning of some children is never really going to come back when compared to their compatriots.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so happy our daycare reopened in May, or was it June?

Either way, I'm glad my kid is getting to have a somewhat normal pre-schooling. We were watching her all day at home and working from home and balancing working so you don't get fired with properly providing enough mental stimulation to a one-year-old for 2-months was TOUGH. I feel really bad for people still doing this. It's not fair to them or their kids.

My kid is/was much too young for me to not supervise her nearly 100%. I can't tell her "go watch some Bluey or play Nintendo while daddy works" because she doesn't have an interest in cartoons and video games are right out at her age.

Parenting in this pandemic is tough, don't let anyone tell you otherwise because these children need mental stimulation and they need attention parents who want to keep their jobs cannot always provide.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Neither of my kids (12, 5) have lost skills they already had, but they've certainly not gained new ones at the pace they would have otherwise.

Schooling is especially egregious--my daughter went from having five-ish hours of instruction across six classes a day, to having about two-ish hours across two classes a day. There's no way knowledge is being built at a necessary click.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
These are traumatic and stressful times just as they are for adults, they are for kids, so how that this manifesting is regression of skills and coping strategies.

It's not as simple as "the parents/teschers/nannies suck."