• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would a cheaper disc-less Xbox one be something you would be interested in?

• Yes

Votes: 935 46.0%
  • No

Votes: 1,096 54.0%

• Total voters

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Read the article:

https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/192184/microsofts-building-a-disc-less-xbox-one-for-release-in-2019

The Scarlett devices are Microsoft's next-gen consoles and are not expected until 2020 but in 2019, the company is planning to release a disc-less console. And if this is making you nervous because you have a large collection of physical discs for your current Xbox, Microsoft has you covered.

In addition to the new console, there will be a 'disc-to-digital' program that, as the name states, turns your physical games into digital downloads. The idea is that you can take your disc to a participating retailer (like the Microsoft store) and trade in your disc for a digital download.

The goal with the new console is to lower the price point for the hardware. Currently, it costs about $299 to buy into the Xbox One family of devices, Microsoft is looking to lower that price by possibly as much as $100; the new console price point is expected to be $200 or less.

Last edited:

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/192184/microsofts-building-a-disc-less-xbox-one-for-release-in-2019

The Scarlett devices are Microsoft's next-gen consoles and are not expected until 2020 but in 2019, the company is planning to release a disc-less console. And if this is making you nervous because you have a large collection of physical discs for your current Xbox, Microsoft has you covered.

In addition to the new console, there will be a 'disc-to-digital' program that, as the name states, turns your physical games into digital downloads. The idea is that you can take your disc to a participating retailer (like the Microsoft store) and trade in your disc for a digital download.

The goal with the new console is to lower the price point for the hardware. Currently, it costs about $299 to buy into the Xbox One family of devices, Microsoft is looking to lower that price by possibly as much as $100; the new console price point is expected to be $200 or less.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disc Xbox One are currently at around 200€ bundled almost everywhere. If it means I can get a 100€ Xbox One I'm getting one with Game Pass.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disc-to-digital program would be fucking insane if true. Virtually everyone would go digital.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disc Xbox One are currently at around 200€ bundled almost everywhere. If it means I can get a 100€ Xbox One I'm getting one with Game Pass.

You can buy a Disc Drive for the Xbox One for about 40 bucks if you wanted to replace it. I would be surprised if it dropped the cost that low.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't use my disc drive now. I'm cool with it. Hope it's smaller.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how well this will take off. Bundling this with gamepass is probably their aim. It would need to be dirt cheap to be an interesting prospect for people

That disc to digital trade-in sounds super smart. Seems like a logistical nightmare though.

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a digital-only player this works for me but I don't buy MS' consoles, hopefully other console manufactures follow suit by giving the option.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This is the key:

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
And if this is making you nervous because you have a large collection of physical discs for your current Xbox, Microsoft has you covered.

That's very cool of them. If I didn't just upgrade from an S to an Xbox One X, I might consider this. I only own two physical copies of games (Rock Band 4 and RDR II), and I regularly sell my physical copies of games if I see a digital copy go on sale (or become free through PS Plus or Games With Gold).

That being said, I really hope they don't pull the disc drive out completely for the next generation of Xbox. There should always be the option. Maybe they can make an enticing disc-less SKU at a lower price point for the next Xbox.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
The disc-to-digital trade in is interesting.

I'm curious to see how it performs commercially. I'm all digital, but most of my friends still buy discs.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Here we go.
The disc-to-digital program sounds goddamn amazing. I really hope it's more than just MS stores that are participating.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
so .. how will BC work for people who own disc based versions of the older games now ? From what little I know, they stick the disc in and then the xbox downloads the entire game content with whatever enhancements there may be (eg FFXIII with the higher quality video files).

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I buy physical, but this is definitely a cool option. I wonder how small they can get it.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how well this will take off. Bundling this with gamepass is probably their aim. It would need to be dirt cheap to be an interesting prospect for people

That disc to digital trade-in sounds super smart. Seems like a logistical nightmare though.
They probably just scan the bar code and the machine spits out a download code.

Good stuff, options are always good. I haven't bought a disc since Destiny 1

Deleted member 47318

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
If MS manages to implement this disc to digital system not just in the US but worldwide, I'll be legit impressed.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
so .. how will BC work for people who own disc based versions of the older games now ? From what little I know, they stick the disc in and then the xbox downloads the entire game content with whatever enhancements there may be (eg FFXIII with the higher quality video files).
I'm not sure what the limitations on the disc to digital thing is, but you could go and exchange them for digital access instead.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
The pricing is weird disc drive does not cost $100. Also how will the trading in deal work outside of the US?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be interested in this if it let you attach your own drive just for verification. The less moving parts, the better, but no disc drive means it's harder to jump into your BC library.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
This is fucking awesome. Have a ton of physical Xbox one and 360 games that I just want to get rid of. But selling on eBay or trading them in would net so little so being able to get digital titles instead is awesome.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Disc-to-digital program would be fucking insane if true. Virtually everyone would go digital.

I wouldn't swap my discs for digital... why would I?

I don't buy all my games on disc, but when I do, the reasons are for potential easy sharing with friends or resell, or avoiding a large download. I'm not gaining anything on those fronts in a trade to digital.

As long as these things are optional, it's all good. But I don't see 'virtually everyone' racing to go all digital.