• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Sony is going to make a killing on a re-design of the PS5. Everyone who bought one will buy it again.

Last edited:

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could you show a picture of the O rings?
61DGy5XVn%2BL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I've read it's a 3-1.5 one

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
61DGy5XVn%2BL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I've read it's a 3-1.5 one

Oh, there are people doing this elsewhere? Well if many people are doing it, then give it a shot I guess. But these things are going to put extreme pressure on the plastic, just a heads up... but to achieve what you want that's what you're going to have to do. I'm just saying perhaps a year with one of these on, you might see some plastic fatigue on the upper part of the popped collar of the fin.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, there are people doing this elsewhere? Well if many people are doing it, then give it a shot I guess. But these things are going to put extreme pressure on the plastic, just a heads up... but to achieve what you want that's what you're going to have to do. I'm just saying perhaps a year with one of these on, you might see some plastic fatigue on the upper part of the popped collar of the fin.
Pretty sure they're talking about using these to buffer the fan where the screws are attached, not to wrap around the entire system. Two different problems, two different solutions.

2b_miner

Mar 7, 2019
So I had a weird experience with the ps5 right now, was playing destiny 2 and it just gave a loud screeching noise and shut down and then rebooted saying it wasn't shut off properly...has anyone experienced this...just to note I just got it yesterday

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Sony is going to make a killing on a re-design of the PS5. Everyone who bought one will. It one again.

I can hear my PS5 if I put my ear against it. It makes that same buzzing sound as in the videos. In real life it is super quiet and I am very happy. Impossible to hear from a meter away, even with sound muted. Playing normally, it is a joy. Coming from a PS4 Pro that made TLOU2 nearly impossible to enjoy, this is the best I could hope for. This issue is blown way out of proportion, but that is the internet nowadays I guess.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Question: Has anyone heard reports of people been turned down a repair/replacement from Sony due to coil whine? My return period ends next week, but I might end up sending it in in like a month or so. I want to make sure that I have options no matter what.

Doc Cottle

Jan 28, 2020
So I had a weird experience with the ps5 right now, was playing destiny 2 and it just gave a loud screeching noise and shut down and then rebooted saying it wasn't shut off properly...has anyone experienced this...just to note I just got it yesterday
Actually this happened to me today! But I was playing Miles Morales. Took a video because the noise was awful and way louder than the tv volume was set. Froze, shutdown then eventually restarted with a DB rebuild. Only the 2nd major crash I've had since launch day.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Question: Has anyone heard reports of people been turned down a repair/replacement from Sony due to coil whine? My return period ends next week, but I might end up sending it in in like a month or so. I want to make sure that I have options no matter what.

Wasn't turn down, they change my ps5... for far worse, keep it wait later.... believe me don't play that lottery. Took me another replacement before i was happy about what i have now i know that are all the same just with different sound.

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I can hear my PS5 if I put my ear against it. It makes that same buzzing sound as in the videos. In real life it is super quiet and I am very happy. Impossible to hear from a meter away, even with sound muted. Playing normally, it is a joy. Coming from a PS4 Pro that made TLOU2 nearly impossible to enjoy, this is the best I could hope for. This issue is blown way out of proportion, but that is the internet nowadays I guess.

Yeah, your experience is absolutely indicative of everyone else's experience. Totally overblown. I may as well shut the thread down.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
seems like my PS5 got louder in the last days. I can hear it from my couch now even with game audio on my sound bar at normal volume.

2b_miner

Mar 7, 2019
Actually this happened to me today! But I was playing Miles Morales. Took a video because the noise was awful and way louder than the tv volume was set. Froze, shutdown then eventually restarted with a DB rebuild. Only the 2nd major crash I've had since launch day.

So apparently it's a power issue, happened to me again, so I swapped the power outlet seemed to be working fine for an hour till I played...will post an update tomorrow to see if the issue persists

ShaqtinFools

Nov 17, 2020
So I just got my console back from Sony, did not expect to get this on a Saturday so very Impressed with that. Different serial number, and this one was made in September instead, so I was hopeful. However, this one isn't great either. It's quieter on the Home Screen for sure, but that's about it. Still coil whine in the YouTube app, and still in games. I can also hear the fan kick up when I launch games now too. Gonna test it out some more and see if it gets better. I think this unit was QA tested though, as there was a scratch beside the USB port as soon as I took it out of the box that would have been impossible for me to do. I guess this is Sony's acceptable limits..... I would wait a little while for a revision.

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I posted this before in the other forum but I thought I would share it here in regards of both fan noise and coil whine. listen to this carefully as it's almost 100% as accurate as it will ever get.

Before I start I would like to say that I had the chance to get 7 PS5 consoles ( from the first wave of preorders back in sept 16\17 to market price consoles. A total of 7 opened ps5 I have tested ( all sold but one for me ) and all sold to either friends or friends of friends for the same amount because I believe in karma.
Now to the topic.
Fans: whoever said the Nidec fan is worse than the delta fan ( that French website I am calling ) is full of shit. There are 3 types of fans first of all. Delta, Nidec, and the new model. The fans are all about the same but the new model did make a whirl sound louder than the other fans
( out of the 7 PS5 I tried 3 were delta, 3 new models,s and only 1 Nidec ( that's how rare the Nidec fan is ).
In terms of the effectiveness of the blades on the fans. The best one was again Nidec due to less but bigger blades ( kinda like the Xbox series x but with more blades of course ) the air pressure was stronger than the other 2 fans. The console wasn't even warm during heavy games at 4k 60 FPS on both cod and spiderman.
The second place was the new model. It also pushed the air in a good way but it wasn't as strong as Nidec fan. The consoles I tested were barely warm which is also very good.

The one that comes in third place is the delta one. I believe that's due to the fan not actually having full blades to circle the air. If you take a look at the blades they are half blades ( wtf is up with this design . Delta designed the Xbox series x fans and it's awesome. Why it's like that with ps5 ? ) horrible. It's like an old GPU blower style. The console was a bit warm during heavy gaming. Nothing super bad of course but you can feel the heat and the pressure isn't as strong ( you can almost feel it too from the hole in the middle of the ps5 that act as a dust filter )

so TLDR? From my finding, Nidec is the best one. Nee model is a close second ( about the same ) and delta ... well no.

Second part: coil whine :

all had it. Some are worse than others. No ps5 is immune from it. Lucky enough my Nidec ps5 was also the best one in terms of coil whine sound.

so when some people say their PS5 coil whine is very loud, I have 100% believe them because it's very possible )

Now here comes the third one. Blue-ray drive.

this also seems to have different models. Some of them are fucking loud beyond beliefs. Like it almost makes the whole system shaking ( like they forgot to put an anti-vibration filter on some of the models. its unbelievable how loud some of them are. All in all i think I really hit the jackpot in terms of fan, coil whine and blue ray drive in this particular console.

The fan itself I am not even worried about. anyone can really buy another fan down the road from eBay like how the Delta and Nidec fans were sold parts for PS4 and pro ( I did switch the fan myself back in the PS4 PRo days ), and just replace it your self. It's a couple of screws without voiding your warranty. if you really wanna worry about something, its the fucking blue-ray drive, and the coil whine to a point
Sorry for my English. Hope people can understand clearly. If anyone has questions please feel free to ask.

the perfect ps5 out of those 7 was from Costco. Others from Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon, and the source ( Canadian store only I assume )

Last edited:

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Since it's impossible to get a PS5 legit in Japan, at this point I have decided to give up and wait for a revision if it comes out before spring.

I put my hopes to them improving the quality on the PSU, or a fix the coil whine on the PS5-video from the guy who made a video this year about fixing the coil whine on the PS4 Pro PSU, which mentions reflowing as many solder joints as possible.
It seems very difficult and it is very dangerous and high risk of destroying the PSU, and currently you can't order spare parts such as a PSU for the PS5 so I do not recommend anyone to attempt it.

But I'm neither possitive that Sony would be able to maintain high production volume and increase quality.
If they were to increass quality on the PSU, I think it would take longer time to build and cost more.

Are all PSU's made by Delta?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
This is the sound while playing a PS5 game ( Miles) My PS5 makes. (excuse the dust)

I thought it was the disc drive at first but comes form the front top of the console, is this what the console is suppose to sound like?

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
I posted this before in the other forum but I thought I would share it here in regards of both fan noise and coil whine. listen to this carefully as it's almost 100% as accurate as it will ever get.

Before I start I would like to say that I had the chance to get 7 PS5 consoles ( from the first wave of preorders back in sept 16\17 to market price consoles. A total of 7 opened ps5 I have tested ( all sold but one for me ) and all sold to either friends or friends of friends for the same amount because I believe in karma.
Now to the topic.
Fans: whoever said the Nidec fan is worse than the delta fan ( that French website I am calling ) is full of shit. There are 3 types of fans first of all. Delta, Nidec, and the new model. The fans are all about the same but the new model did make a whirl sound louder than the other fans
( out of the 7 PS5 I tried 3 were delta, 3 new models,s and only 1 Nidec ( that's how rare the Nidec fan is ).
In terms of the effectiveness of the blades on the fans. The best one was again Nidec due to less but bigger blades ( kinda like the Xbox series x but with more blades of course ) the air pressure was stronger than the other 2 fans. The console wasn't even warm during heavy games at 4k 60 FPS on both cod and spiderman.
The second place was the new model. It also pushed the air in a good way but it wasn't as strong as Nidec fan. The consoles I tested were barely warm which is also very good.

The one that comes in third place is the delta one. I believe that's due to the fan not actually having full blades to circle the air. If you take a look at the blades they are half blades ( wtf is up with this design . Delta designed the Xbox series x fans and it's awesome. Why it's like that with ps5 ? ) horrible. It's like an old GPU blower style. The console was a bit warm during heavy gaming. Nothing super bad of course but you can feel the heat and the pressure isn't as strong ( you can almost feel it too from the hole in the middle of the ps5 that act as a dust filter )

so TLDR? From my finding, Nidec is the best one. Nee model is a close second ( about the same ) and delta ... well no.

all had it. Some are worse than others. No ps5 is immune from it. Lucky enough my Nidec ps5 was also the best one in terms of coil whine sound.

so when some people say their PS5 coil whine is very loud, I have 100% believe them because it's very possible )

this also seems to have different models. Some of them are fucking loud beyond beliefs. Like it almost makes the whole system shaking ( like they forgot to put an anti-vibration filter on some of the models. its unbelievable how loud some of them are. All in all i think I really hit the jackpot in terms of fan, coil whine and blue ray drive in this particular console.

The fan itself I am not even worried about. anyone can really buy another fan down the road from eBay like how the Delta and Nidec fans were sold parts for PS4 and pro ( I did switch the fan myself back in the PS4 PRo days ), and just replace it your self. It's a couple of screws without voiding your warranty. if you really wanna worry about something, its the fucking blue-ray drive, and the coil whine to a point
Sorry for my English. Hope people can understand clearly. If anyone has questions please feel free to ask.

the perfect ps5 out of those 7 was from Costco. Others from Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon, and the source ( Canadian store only I assume )

after 3 Ps5 i also saw the loto for Bluray Player too, My first one was loud, but managable, the second one was insane loud, like broken, i decide to change it for sure. Now the last console the bluray is way more quiet, the fan also fell non-existant, but the coil whine still there, but the high pitch noise is gone, all 3 got different coil whine, but the loud fan just destroy coil whine sound.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, your experience is absolutely indicative of everyone else's experience. Totally overblown. I may as well shut the thread down.

No need to get passive-aggressive, it was just an answer to the post that I quoted. Not everyone has such a big issue with their PS5, many are very happy with it. This thread makes it sound to potential buyers as if the console is deeply flawed, when it fact it is much improved compared to PS4. If my PS5 was making a high-pitched sound, I would try to get a replacement immediately, though, so good luck to everyone in the "lottery"!

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So. I opened my first ps5 and installed 8 o-ring. 3-1.5mm. 4 between the fan and the console , and 4 between the fan and the metal plate on it. Coil whine never bothered me on both of ps5. I can't hear it more than 80cm away. But fan made some noise

vimeo.com

Untitled

This is "Untitled" by BoomT on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

With these o-ring it's like when I put pressure on the plate. Much better

he is the video in my bedroom. I'm playing literally 1 meter away from my ps5. You can hear that the phone amplifies the noise a LOT as when I'm moving the camera, it's a very loud movement. Ps5 isnt vibration anymore. Tried with demon souls as it's famous to be noisy

vimeo.com

Untitled

This is "Untitled" by BoomT on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

édit : background noise is laundry machine

Going to do my living ps5 now

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017

Happened to me twice at the same spot on Spider-Man Remastered. Thought my PS5 was going to die. Also had 3 hard locks on Miles Morales requiring me to unplug the system to get it to reboot because the screen froze in place and every single button on the controller and the system itself became unresponsive. I think the PS5 system software is extremely buggy right now.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
So. I opened my first ps5 and installed 8 o-ring. 3-1.5mm. 4 between the fan and the console , and 4 between the fan and the metal plate on it. Coil whine never bothered me on both of ps5. I can't hear it more than 80cm away. But fan made some noise

vimeo.com

Untitled

With these o-ring it's like when I put pressure on the plate. Much better

he is the video in my bedroom. I'm playing literally 1 meter away from my ps5. You can hear that the phone amplifies the noise a LOT as when I'm moving the camera, it's a very loud movement. Ps5 isnt vibration anymore. Tried with demon souls as it's famous to be noisy

vimeo.com

Untitled

édit : background noise is laundry machine

Going to do my living ps5 now

OMG just found someone that have the same thing as me for my first PS5. That was exactly the noise my first PS5 was doing, like a little "hummmmmm" noise combine with coil whine. Now the one they give me have only the coil whine, i don't hear the fan like at all.

Happened to me twice at the same spot on Spider-Man Remastered. Thought my PS5 was going to die. Also had 3 hard locks on Miles Morales requiring me to unplug the system to get it to reboot because the screen froze in place and every single button on the controller and the system itself became unresponsive. I think the PS5 system software is extremely buggy right now.

My friend text me last night, same thing happen to him he heard a insane high pitch sound from the speaker (he wasn't sure) then the console just close.

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
after 3 Ps5 i also saw the loto for Bluray Player too, My first one was loud, but managable, the second one was insane loud, like broken, i decide to change it for sure. Now the last console the bluray is way more quiet, the fan also fell non-existant, but the coil whine still there, but the high pitch noise is gone, all 3 got different coil whine, but the loud fan just destroy coil whine sound.
Out of curiosity. What is your fan model

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017

Now to the topic.

I want to add some things. Me and my friend opened our PS5s and looked at the fans. I have the Nidec one (French website said it was louder), he has the delta one (French website said it was quieter).

He brought his PS5 over to compare. The Nidec fan was a little bit louder during gameplay, but completely silent when in idle or watching 4K blurays.

The Delta fan was more quiet during gameplay, but made a very uneven, high pitched sound at less RPM and in idle.

So both have their own weakness, but while the slightly louder ingame fan sound of the Nidec fan doesn't bother me, the high pitched idle noise of the Delta is unbearable in a silent room.

And I can confirm that the Delta PS5 was noticeably warmer than the Nidec PS5 at the underside and back after 30mins of Demons Souls in 60fps.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've check both my ps5

PS5-Two-Fans.jpg

both have the left one. It's totally silent idle indeed. I can just hear it ingame. But now without vibration thanks to the o-rings

Totally unrelated question but both my ps5 have the same external hard drive. Both in rest mode. One of them keep the external hard drive on (i can feel touching it) while the other doesn't. I have no idea why

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
No need to get passive-aggressive, it was just an answer to the post that I quoted. Not everyone has such a big issue with their PS5, many are very happy with it. This thread makes it sound to potential buyers as if the console is deeply flawed, when it fact it is much improved compared to PS4. If my PS5 was making a high-pitched sound, I would try to get a replacement immediately, though, so good luck to everyone in the "lottery"!

Passive aggressive isn't working for you? Okay, well you came into a thread full of people that are having a miserable experience due to this issue and say that it's being blown way out of proportion, as well as making some boomer-like statement about the internet these days. Don't try to spin it, just gtfo.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By the way in my living room ps5 which was doing more noise I had a very strange plastic crap stick on my fan. What was that ? No idea.
q0Tkmfr.jpg

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Passive aggressive isn't working for you? Okay, well you came into a thread full of people that are having a miserable experience due to this issue and say that it's being blown way out of proportion, as well as making some boomer-like statement about the internet these days. Don't try to spin it, just gtfo.

Yeah, I am getting out. A nice day to you, too!

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity. What is your fan model

Don't know on the last, I will not move side panel because so far, I have 0 vibration when bluray start, but it must be the super quiet. My first was Delta, super quiet but it had the weird noise combine with coil whine that make it unbareable without a headset. The second NIDEC, was making a clicking noise all the time, like something was moving inside, tried to check for the sticker, nothing. It also had that really irritating spining sound when i was on the side (right or left) of the console.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
You can tell the people who never grew up with a CRT TV... XD

I grew up with CRT TVs and they never sounded like the PS5 to me...my mums old fridge in the 90s had a similar audio profile though.

This is the sound while playing a PS5 game ( Miles) My PS5 makes. (excuse the dust)

I thought it was the disc drive at first but comes form the front top of the console, is this what the console is suppose to sound like?

The coil whine makes it seem like it comes from the top on the front but in reality it is from the bottom on the backside where the PSU is located, it transports the sound easily to the top.

check the menus in Miles Morales, does the sound change when you change between the different menu tabs? if yes you have coil whine. and it is more audible in 60fps mode as in 30fps mode.

This thread makes it sound to potential buyers as if the console is deeply flawed, when it fact it is much improved compared to PS4.

Well, the console has problems for many people and one of those problems is coil whine. no need to be concerned about potential buyers, if anything it is good that we have this thread here so people know what the strange noise is when they experience it.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I want to add some things. Me and my friend opened our PS5s and looked at the fans. I have the Nidec one (French website said it was louder), he has the delta one (French website said it was quieter).

He brought his PS5 over to compare. The Nidec fan was a little bit louder during gameplay, but completely silent when in idle or watching 4K blurays.

The Delta fan was more quiet during gameplay, but made a very uneven, high pitched sound at less RPM and in idle.

So both have their own weakness, but while the slightly louder ingame fan sound of the Nidec fan doesn't bother me, the high pitched idle noise of the Delta is unbearable in a silent room.

And I can confirm that the Delta PS5 was noticeably warmer than the Nidec PS5 at the underside and back after 30mins of Demons Souls in 60fps.
Assuming the delta was quiter and not a placebo lol, the warmer ps5 is a problem for the vram since the temp is already high on that according to gamers nexus testing .
You will want a cooler ps5 even if the ps5 was a lil bit louder ( which honestly wasn't my case with Nidec vs delta . But who knows . Maybe the less air flow going into the ps5 thanks to the fan stupid design on the delta is a reason it's more silent in your test ? Mine was honestly Nidec was about or less noise than delta and it was much cooler.
I'll take a Nidec fan over delta any day really

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I grew up with CRT TVs and they never sounded like the PS5 to me...my mums old fridge in the 90s had a similar audio profile though.

The coil whine makes it seem like it comes from the top on the front but in reality it is from the bottom on the backside where the PSU is located, it transports the sound easily to the top.

check the menus in Miles Morales, does the sound change when you change between the different menu tabs? if yes you have coil whine. and it is more audible in 60fps mode as in 30fps mode.

Well, the console has problems for many people and one of those problems is coil whine. no need to be concerned about potential buyers, if anything it is good that we have this thread here so people know what the strange noise is when they experience it.

I tried switching modes but it didn't shift gears in sound that much, when playing PS4 games it's noticable quieter and it's more of a soft humming instead of a rattling sound.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Could be one of the "more noisy" fan models. from your video it doesn´t directly sound like an extreme case of coil whine.

No, my 2080 videocard has coil wine under heavy load, this does sound quite different yeah. I'm too too worried if it's just the fan being wonky, it doesn't overrule my audio that much. I might have a look at the fan at some point and see for a fix.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018

Is that perhaps a huge coilwhine from a severily bad made PSU?
No words from Sony about the bad PSU quality?
They seriously must improve the PSU issue ASAP before any revised models and prepare a lot of spare PSU's since many customers will end up with coil whiney, faultering or ultimately broken PSU's.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
No, my 2080 videocard has coil wine under heavy load, this does sound quite different yeah. I'm too too worried if it's just the fan being wonky, it doesn't overrule my audio that much. I might have a look at the fan at some point and see for a fix.
To me it sounds like a wobbly fan you may be able to fix by adding o-rings to the fan's screws.

Oct 28, 2017
Is that perhaps a huge coilwhine from a severily bad made PSU?
No words from Sony about the bad PSU quality?
They seriously must improve the PSU issue ASAP before any revised models and prepare a lot of spare PSU's since many customers will end up with coil whiney, faultering or ultimately broken PSU's.

I do have loud coil whine, I've got it in other videos you can hear on my Twitter page, but in this case, it was a loud hum coming through my home theater speakers. Very, very loud. It hard crashed the system, but the sound in that video coincided with a frozen screen and lasted a good 15 seconds at least before the system restarted itself which is what you see in the video. As strange as it may sound, in the instance of this particular video it sounded like the coil whine was amplified and coming through my home theater speakers.

2b_miner

Mar 7, 2019

I changed the power outlet, so it has been working fine so far, I have no clue if it's the hardware in general or the software which is buggy

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Oooo. My replacement is on its way..

dfca8408-2d01-4e11-b73kgh.jpeg

🤞🍀 Please 🤞🍀 Be 🤞🍀 Quiet 🤞🍀