• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Righteous, the extra time will be great, more time to tackle these

rezero, haikyuu, hypnosis mic, idolish7, jujutsu, mahoukou, day i became god, gymnastics samurai, moriarty, kings raid, talentless nana, ikebukuro west gay park, akudama drive, golden kamuy 3, left to watch.

metalmonstar

May 17, 2018
Anime 2020

1. Re Zero Season 2- A continuation and improvement over season 1. Good world building. Good character growth.
  2. Akudama Drive – Just a fun ride that was brilliantly animated. All the character arcs were amazing.
  3. Magia Record – The themes, artstyle, and music blew me away. What a lot of people felt with Madoka, I felt with this show.
  4. Deca Dence- Cool world design. Nice fight animations. Story dropped a bit as it went on but still a really good show.
  5. Sing Yesterday for me- A nice post college romance. All the characters were well crafted. The drama was good. Main issue was the rushed ending. Overall I still enjoyed it. I think it helps that episode discussions were really great since everyone had varying opinions.
  6. Kakushigoto- To me this was the funniest show of 2020. The characters, scenarios, and references were hilarious. Behind the humor was a wholesome story about a dad and his daughter.
  7. Kaguya Sama Season 2- More Kaguya goodness. I didn't find this season quite as funny but it certainly had some better character arcs.
  8. Ascendance of a Bookworm- Before 2020 I had never heard of this show. After catching up on season 1, I got into season 2. Season 2 starts off not quite as good as Season 1 but it starts to pick up. Bookworm's world building is top notch and the characters are great. It is a unique Isekai that really uses the setting to its full potential.
  9. Tonikawa – Just pure sugar. It is a pretty funny show but the real reason to watch is just how wholesome and cute it is.
  10. Railgun T- To me it isn't quite Railgun S but it is so close. Both arcs were great and JC Staff knocked it out of the park with the fight animations.
Movies

1. Weathering With You-What is there to say it is basically Your Name 2. I didn't like it as much as Your Name but it is a great film on its own.
  2. Made in the Abyss- Sure it is just a continuation of where the anime left off, but the characters and story are great. The fights were also amazing. It enhances what I loved about Made in the Abyss.
  3. Whiskered Away- Kind of gave me Studio Ghibli vibes. It had a lot going for it with characters and story. However it just kind of falls flat at the end

Hidden Gems
  1. Olympic Samurai- I thought all the character arcs were great. It really felt like they spent the required time on the actual gymnastics. It was funny and had a lot of style.
  2. D4DJ- The animation, characters, music, and story are great. Not sure why this got skipped over so much. One thing I enjoyed about this was the lower stakes then some other idol shows. Made the show more relatable.
  3. Breakwater Club- Who knew fishing could be so interesting. The girls were cute. The show was a great mix of humor, wholesomeness, and information. It may not

Honorable Mentions

• Gal and Dino – Such an underrated show. I am assuming it is because of the live action segments. However, the show is really funny and cute. Certainly, worth a watch.
  • Sleepy Princess- Who knew a show about trying to get some sleep could be so entertaining
  • Bagel Girl – Not actually anime and pretty far down on my list of shows I watched, however I felt I should bring it up. A bit questionable gender swap and the beginning, but the move to murder mystery really had me hooked.
  • Misfit of Demon High – Who knew Overpowered main character could be so fun. It got me interested in other overpowered main character shows only to be disappointed.

Hopefully I did this right. I didn't even know this was up.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
2020 Anime:

1. Boruto: Naruto Next Generations - An often underrated sequel to a great series that explores the themes and universe introduced in the original in a new and thought-provoking way. Great animation for a long-running series and essentially zero filler. Fantastic series that I'd highly recommend despite the vocal minority backlash.
2. Tower of God - A well animated, interesting series that kept me on the edge of my seat the entire way through.
3. Deca-Dence - Powerful and emotional, and such interesting twists and turns.
4. Rent-a-Girlfriend - My guilty pleasure. It's so cringey but at the same time endearing. The characters feel like real people and struggle with realistic (enough) problems.
5. The God of High School - Straight up fantastic animation from start to finish. Not much story here, but the fights more than make up for it.
6. My Hero Academia: Season 4 - While the first half is very weak in terms of storytelling, pacing, and storyboarding, the second half of the season makes up for it with one of the most fun arcs in the series to date.
7. Black Clover - This series started very slow, but has picked up steam and now become one that I look forward to each week. It's very generic, but in a way that makes it feel all the more appealing. It's a call-back to a simpler time in anime history and whenever Haruka Mirai plays, you know it's gonna be a good fight.
8. Haikyuu: To the Top!! - Not as strong as previous seasons, but a solid continuation of what came before. The new art style isn't my favorite, but it's not the worst either.
9. Radiant: Season 2 - An underrated sequel to an underrated shonen. The second season makes sticking with the first more than worth it. The story, themes, and characters all shine so brightly. It's a shame more people haven't given this series a chance or even heard of it.
10. I'm Standing on a Million Lives - I am not an isekai fan by any stretch of the imagination, but this show managed to rope me in with the idea that it's not entirely an isekai. The characters move betwen the "game world" and the "real world" and the interactions and quests they take on in the game world are used to build their character and help them overcome flaws and challenges they face in real life. With an underlying tone of mystery, this show managed to hook me in when most isekai has me asleep on episode 1.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
The more time passes the more I realize I'm likely to forget to do this properly, so I'm gonna at least get the easy best anime voted for lol

1.Ishuzoku Reviewers - Crim is a character I'd never expect to see in a mainstream anime. This concept is something I'd never expect to see in a mainstream anime. Unquestionably a Rated-R anime, revolving entirely around sex. We need more like it.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Alright, I got two more anime to watch that are eligible so I'm going to try and watch them and then vote by the weekend.

Oct 25, 2017
I might come up short, will probably just get to HQ, Ikebukuero West Gay Park, and either kings raid or Nana? anything else i should watch SolidSnakeBoy

rezero, haikyuu, hypnosis mic, idolish7, jujutsu, mahoukou, day i became god, gymnastics samurai, moriarty, kings raid, talentless nana, ikebukuro west gay park, akudama drive, golden kamuy 3, left to watch.

OP
OP
SolidSnakeBoy

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
I might come up short, will probably just get to HQ, Ikebukuero West Gay Park, and either kings raid or Nana? anything else i should watch SolidSnakeBoy

Moriarty is great and just full of pretty boys in sinister situations. Lots of cool direction.

Day I became A God sucked. Just emotionally manipulative and falls flat at even doing that.

Talentless Nana is fun as fuck. Just fun mystery and good performances. Lots of fun side characters. I won't spoil much.

Gym samurai is my hidden gem pick. I will say it's more of fun show the characters are pretty grounded as they are adults or children taking care of adults.

Hmmm I did not like West Park...show felt very Nancy Reagan preachy about drugs on it's first episode.

Haykyuu is fine , definitely the weakest season. If you like Neokoma this is as good as it gets though.

Rezero was very slow in its first half of S2.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've barely seen new anime the past year but what about shows that finally get dubbed in the west? Golden Wind isn't on Netflix but it officially finished its Adult Swim run last year. If so then:

1. The Great Pretender

2. JJBA GW

3. Attack on Titan s4

4. Beastars

5. MHA s4

If JJBA isn't allowed then I'm good with the 4 above. Also, Great Pretender feels like a hidden gem as well, even with the Netflix push.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Don't want to vote at first, then I realized I've watched more anime in 2020 than the last 10 years thanks to covid and Netflix Asia taking up more and more anime series:

Anime TV Series
  1. Dorohedoro
  2. Attack On Titan Season 4
  3. Great Pretender
  4. Aggretsuko Season 3
  5. Jujutsu Kaisen
  6. Deca-Dence
  7. BNA
  8. Beastars
  9. Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Season 3
  10. Japan Sinks 2020
Anime Movie/OVA Series
  1. A Whisker Away
  2. Burn The Witch
  3. Made in Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul

Nov 20, 2019
Anime Series

1. Chihayafuru S3 - Taichi is best boi. I re-watched this a couple of times, and forced me to read the manga to know what happens next. One of my all time favorites. The character development is top-notch as always. Madhouse always delivers, gosh. This deserves a season 4, i dont care what it takes.
2. Jojo's Bizarred Adventure: Golden Wind - this has become my favorite part of this show, Giorno is the best jojo for me so far, and i loved everything about this!!! ahhhhh MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA
3. My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Climax! - Yui is best girl. I'm still #TeamYui. </3
4. Sing Yesterday for me - it feels a bit rushed, but i love the messy plot coz i felt bad for all of them. The ending was nice but as i said, a bit rushed. I love the animation tho.
5. Kakushigoto - this grew on me a lot, kinda reminds me of bakuman coz of the setting. It's so relaxing to watch for some reason.
6. Tonikawa: Over the Moon for you - this was hilarious and so pure at the same time. They're so adorable i wanna puke sometimes. jk love it.
7. Smile down the runway - I didn't expect to like this as much as I did, I loved the last few episodes where they all finally got to show-off. The build-up was quite slow.
8. In Spectre - There were a lot of plot holes but I did enjoy the relationship of Iwanaga and Kuro.
9. Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! - i thought he was a boy until i realized he's wearing a girl's uniform. This was such a cool show tho, these kids are amazing.
10. Deca-dence - the animation is great, but the story is quite underwhelming.

Hidden Gems

1. Kakushigoto / hidden things - lol, fits nicely in this group
2. Smile Down the Runway
3. Tonikawa: Over the Moon for you

Honorable mentions - i finished watching coz i'm bored coz i'd rather watch anime than go out:
Arte, Somali and the Forest Spirit, Gleipnir (didn't finish it - it creeped me out a bit), Great Pretender (still need to finish it, only less than halfway thru it, so i still can't decide if i'm gonna put it in my top10), Wave Listen to Me, Listeners

Movie

1. A Whisker away
2. Hello World

Last edited:

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Anime TV Series
1. Great Pretender - What a great, crazy ride with a surprisingly good message at the end of the day. Also, incredible art direction and music.
2. Keep your Hands off Eizouken!! - EASY BREEZY
3. Fruits Basket - Man I love Fruits Basket, even if I cry sometimes
4. Beastars - Legosi is best boy forever
5. Kaguya-sama - Not as funny as season 1, but I live for the drama

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
2020 Anime series:
1. Kaguya-Sama: Love is War S2
- The great cast, combined with the great Japanese VA's just makes this an absolute joy to watch. Gags almost always hits, while also pulling on the heart strings when nescessary. Just a tremendous show.
2. Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World- S2 - Still the king of Isekai as far as I'm concerned. The sheer amount of interesting characters along with the loop gimmick continues to deliver. The addition of the witches in the first part of this season was great, as well as the slow trickle of reveals that deepen the world.
3. A Certain Scientific Railgun T - The constant interuptions due to covid-19 hampered the flow of the season a bit as it was going, but in the end it was just a great run from beginning to end.
4. BOFURI: I don't want to get hurt, so I'll max out my defense - This show was just hilarious in how it stacked power-up after ridiculous power-up. Very funny and bingable.
5. Akudama Drive - While the story wasn't my favorite, the visuals in this were absolutely insane, the best looking show of the season.
6. Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle - Laugh out loud funny, a must watch
7. Fruits Basket S2 - Fuck Akito though. Seriously.
8. The Gymnastics Samurai - Lovely sports anime with a quirky cast and plenty of heart.
9. Wave, Listen to Me! - And listen we did. The Japanese VA absolutely made this show, her ramblings were nothing but stellar.
10. Talentless Nana - A good murder mystery that just flew by each week.

Hidden Gem:
1. If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die - Man, this one came out of nowhere. Funny as hell, with two likable leads with some very relatable issues (not sure what this says about me, but whatever).
2. Asteroid in Love - Just a lovely story about some friends (totally not yuri, but totally yuri) reconnecting over asteroid watching, what's not to like.
3. D4DJ: First Mix - I don't know why this hit for me so hard (yes I do, I'm a sucker for idol anime, don't tell anyone), but I found myself looking forward to it. The main cast are great, the CGI animation was oddly fun, and it was just an enjoyable fairly standard idol anime, if that's your thing.

Honorable mentions:
-Toilet-bound Hanako-kun - This one was a bit hard to rank so I decided to not rank it at all, still: interesting show, funny at times with a good cast.
-Adachi and Shimamura - Disaster romance that was enjoyable to watch. Needed a better resolution but it's a yuri will-they-won't-they, so of course.
-Aggretsuko S3 - I mean, I'm just happy Aggretsuko is around to remind me we're all trainwrecks and that's okay.
-BNA: Brand New Animal - Typical Trigger goodness, visually great, likable characters, enjoyable story, great soundtrack. Not their best work, but if you like Trigger, you'll like this.

Last edited:

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
I watched very little last year.

1. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou
2. Jujutsu Kaisen
3. Golden Kamuy S3
4. Dorohedoro
5. Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World S2
6. Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? S3 - I was expecting nothing after first two seasons and it suprised me
7. Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020)

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Anime Series of the Year
  1. Fruits Basket Season 2: I try to avoid giving sequels the top honors in my end-of-year reviews but with Fruits Basket Season 2, I just could not snub it in good faith. This season really drove home the cycle of trauma, how the experiences we may have had individually affect our outlooks and the way we perceive and treat others, and the possibility to heal beyond it. I love this series, and cannot wait to watch the final season.
  2. Appare Ranman: The best original anime of the year in my honest opinion. Appare Ranman did a phenomenal job balancing its ensemble cast and play it against the comedy, action, and drama of the series.
  3. Kaguya-Sama Love is War?: Comedy sequels are always hard to follow up on, but Kaguya-Sama Season 2 somehow managed to achieve the task of being both funnier than the first season while giving the characters much-needed depth. Despite the heavy humor, there is a surprising amount of depth and sincerity the characters are treated with.
  4. Haikyuu To the Top: Haikyuu has continued to cement itself as one of the best sports anime, but this season, in particular, paid dividends in showing why Shoyo Hinata is the heart and soul of the series. I understand the change in Animation Direction has proven divisive, but this season carried the torch of what makes this series special.
  5. Re:Zero Season 2 Part 1: I was never sold on Subaru's character arc in the first season. It felt too rushed and I did not believe his redemption was earned. Re:Zero Season 2 finally addressed my every critique of Subaru, finally providing some much-needed context for his actions and his growth beyond it. The season itself did a fantastic job keeping the intrigue of the story going.
  6. Akudama Drive: A future dystopian city that goes hard into the "Fuck the Police" storytelling. What's not to like?
  7. Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle: Pound for pound the actual funniest anime of 2020. It was amusing seeing the extreme measure the protagonist would go to just get a comfortable night's sleep.
  8. Kakushigoto: Kakushigoto is one of those series that at first glance would be easy to overlook due to it's seemingly suspect synopsis, but I wound up being pleasantly surprised. Not only did it have a lot of heart in it's depiction of the struggles of a single parent balancing his career with raising his daughter, but it gave a really hilarious lens on the manga industry.
  9. Deca-Dence: Although the ending did feel somewhat of a letdown, I still really enjoyed this series. Natsumi was one of the strongest protagonists of the years and her journey really carried the show.
  10. Great Pretender: By my estimations, 3/4th of this series was a really strong and thrilling heist series with engaging and compelling characters. But that final arc was like a wet fart.

Anime Movie/OVA of the Year
  1. Thus Spoke Rohan Kishihibe: It's like Araki's take on Junji Ito stories and if the Junji Ito Collection was actually good. Jojo lends itself extremely well to one-shot horror vignettes and I feel like this is Araki at his most creative and bizarre.
  2. Haikyuu: Land vs Air: A nice two-parter focusing on everyones' favorite team of alley cats. The Nekoma team has such great chemistry and this spotlight ova was a great way giving some nice buildup to the eventual showdown of Season 5.
  3. A Whisker Away: Admittedly this was the only anime movie of 2020 I actually watched but I thought it was okay. The main character wasn't the most sympathetic but I thought it was well animated.

Hidden Gem Anime Series
  1. Smile Down the Runway: One of the medium's best attributes is introducing you to world of professions or hobbies that you otherwise do not have any interest in, and getting you invested in them. Smile Down the Runway managed to do that with the Fashion industry, giving us one of the best underdog stories in 2020.
  2. BOFURI: Bofuri was arguably the comfiest anime of 2020. Showing us the humorous tale of a teenager stumbling her way into making a broken build in a VMMORPG and the developer's desperate and futile attempts to nerf her. It was a good time.
  3. TONIKAWA: Over the Moon for You: For when sometimes you just really want a cute romance story about a newly-wed couple.

• Ascendance of a Bookworm Part 2
  • Beastars
  • BOFURI
  • ID Invaded
  • Jujutsu Kaisen
  • Keep Your Hands off Eizouken
  • My Next Life as a Villainess
  • Smile Dow the Runway
  • Toilet-Bound Hanako-Kun
  • Tonikawa: Over the Moon for You

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Weird.. All I ever really do this days is watch anime but naming a top 10 is kind of hard for me since I am really just catching up on stuff like my hero and one piece etc..

Anime series of the year:
1. Attack on Titan S4: the Final Season is a masterpiece just like the rest of the show. It is the one show I would recommend to really anyone even if you do not like anime

2. Jujustu Kaisen: MAPPA is a quality studio and they have become the goats the past year. This anime is in terms of style more beautiful then Attack on Titan S4 is (Also MAPPA)

3. That time I got Reincarnated as a slime S2: I also watch Doctor Stone and both try to build a world. But this anime is way more fun and in the last episodes it has gotten a more dark story to go with it

4. Tower of God: Starts of a little weird but has very likable characters and a good story!

5. The god of higschool: another MAPPA made anime. Beautiful fight scenes but at the end it felt very, very, VERY rushed

Honorable mentions:

1.One Piece: I am just 400 episodes in but this is easily my favorite anime ever. You should begin with it and enjoy the journey. These animes I list didn't make the list because I have not watched them fully yet. But One Piece is a gem

2. My Hero Academia: Just started with this one and I do like it a lot. Characters like midoriya I can really see myself in him and all the side characters are really fun also. Might end up the Shonen I enjoy most

3. Tokyo Ghoul: Very gruelsome serie but I think it is worth watching. The 3rd season isn't the best but I enjoyed the series that much that I bought the whole series in manga boxes. I never owned manga in my life!

4. The devil is a part timer: just been announced that this one gets a second season after a lot of years! It really is a fun comedy anime about a devil stuck on earth and working at a fastfood chain. Really enjoyed this one

——
So yeah that is it really.. Not really animes that most people don't know I think. But I just started to really appreciate the world of anime and have begun to watch a lot of it in the past year.. So wanted to make my own post :) And will look at some of the animes mentioned in this topic!

OP
OP
SolidSnakeBoy

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Time for me to vote:

Anime of the Year:

1. Hands off Eizouken:
This show is such a love letter to animation and creativity. It follows the Eizouken gang working to make reality their dream of making an anime. Each arc follows a different element of the creative process: scheduling, funding, sound design, animation, and storyboarding. When the daydream sequences of their brainstorming begin we are transported into the mind of the characters, into their imaginative landscape and it is wonderful. Watching as their sketches and ideas become a realized cinematic that can stir something inside of me was the highlight of the year. Everyone should watch Eizouken to be reminded of what anime can achieve and how much work and passion goes into creating those experiences.

2. Akudama Drive: Akudama Drive is an unfiltered and unrelenting experience. It follows the worst criminals that their dystopic cyberpunk world can muster, and tasks them in a mission that results in the revolution of their entire society. It is loud and bombastic and jampacked, but it truly manages to deliver an engaging narrative (minus the antagonists).The fact that this action packed wonder of animation can be a critique of authoritarian regimes and police brutality is fantastic. The cherry on top of it all is how many of these episodes serve as homages to classic films and it nails them! Just a fantastic ride.

3. Jujutsu Kaisen: MAPPA delivers a beautifully animated adaptation of a shonen that feels more grounded and earnest that the norm. I love how I am cognizant of how standard a lot of this show is, but the level of polish that has gone into it truly elevates the experience to something genuinely entertaining. I love the main trio, I love the designs of the antagonists, and who can forget of Gojo <3. Just a great time overall.

4. Moriarty the Patriot: This series follows James Moriarty and his two brothers in the quest of bringing down the corrupt establishment of nobility and inequality. Moriarty is willing to do anything in his quest and it an incredibly empowering show given the state of affairs of our world. It is a sense of righteousness borne not out of self-importance but out of years of facing misery in the face, with all recourse designed to watch him fail. Sherlock and Watson are here too, in their quest to solve mysteries, but will they have the moral fiber to stop Moriarty? Find out in the second half airing later in the year. While it is clearly a smaller budget project from Production IG, it certainly has a strong direction ,with a fist clutching use of color. Great stuff.

5. Chihayafuru S3: The third season in the poem reading, card slapping, life uncertainty tackling sports dram. It continues to have some of the best directing and performances in anime. Beautiful layered characters, with some important threads coming to a head with gut wrenching results (specially for some non-accent loving peeps). It is a show that will keep you on the edge of your seat and make you wonder about those key moments in life that defined who you are today.

6. Id: Invaded: In a year of many many mystery detective shows, Id: Invaded feels like a fresh take. The idea that we can collect the psyche of murderer and murdered and enter it like a matrix like simulation to deduce the events and motivations surrounding murder is fascinating. It is so fun to explore these twisted puzzle worlds and their rewarding solutions. The way the show entwines it all for its finale arc and how the main character plays a part in all of it is exceptional.

7. Deca-Dence: Without a shadow of a doubt, this is the best executed twist in anime this year. The way this show explores how we fit as part of a system and when we must rise and overthrow it, is extremely resonant. The show deals with the cost of such an act, death, with poignant clarity. It is a fantastic show to watch if you want to be inspired to do more in the face of immense injustice. Some good animation and monster killing helps along the way. The main shortcoming of this show is the limited run-time which means one of the main characters, has to be put in the backburner for parts of it.

8. Woodpecker's Detective Agency: This show is all in the way we interpret it, I am sure many folks disagree with me but here it goes. On the surface it is a mystery of the week show following a poet/part-time detective guy who is a piss poor friend and even worse adult. This is deceiving since this show shines in subtext, why is Ishikawa (main character) so desperate for money? what drives his narcissism and willingness to take advantage of his friend? Underneath a man in deep depression and misery emerges. He is a poet that tries to capture the small nuances in the world that would be lost to everyone else, but this can't feed him, in using his talent he learns more and more about the tragic side of life, vignettes of tragedy that he will have to bare witness alone. This internalization of him as a character deeply moved me in a way nothing else this year did, so that's why it makes it into my list.

9. Fruit Basket S2: The second season of this emotionally taxing experience. The way each of the cast members has a different circumstances as a result of their curse is intriguing; the fact that the show can juggle their stories and thread a narrative about the source of their problems is so satisfying. This series will make you feel righteous anger, and cry tears of joy. It can be hard to watch, but in such a compelling way that it is hard to describe. Give it a go!

10. Sing Yesterday For Me: A contemplative show about human relationships and how they entwine with loss and personal history. Its characters are noncommittal and vacillating, wavering in their feelings and their other life circumstances, grounding them in an air of humanity. It is a refreshing show to watch after all the emotional dramas and energetic battle shows. While it does not get enough runtime to justify its conclusion, the work as a whole is a wonderful experience that can leave us with some self-reflection to do.

Hidden Gems

1.Moriarty The Patriot:
It is such a satisfying show to watch. The moment each mystery is executed is filled with great direction, the colors and sounds used to convey the righteous demise of these horrible people is incredible. The unabashed willingness to discard morality to breach the classist oppression is so raw. It's just a very satisfying show to watch. There will be a second cour coming, so I hope some folks will give it a go when it comes around.

2. Woodpecker's Detective Agency: This show is such a delight to digest. The solving of the mysteries is fine, but the real meat is in the way the solutions impact the main character and shape his journey into despair. It is a poignant character show, leaving most of its holes to the viewer to fill with their own shoes. Wish more folks would not just take the main character at face value in his selfishness.

3. Gymnastics Samurai: A fun exploration of self-worth in anime. It has such a quirky cast and the willingness to explore professional sportsmanship from a personal and familiar viewpoint is very charming and earnest. Lost of funny gags. It is also fun to see a show set in the early 2000s and how live used to be then. Just a show that is better than each of its parts.

Honorable Mentions

-Kaguya-Sama Love is War:
Great season with just as good gags. Ishigami's arc is amazing and almost got this show in my top 10 alone. If you like comedy anime with a nice romance frosting. This is it.
-A Destructive God Sits Next to Me: This show is laugh out loud funny at times. Just crazy crazy characters. The fact that all these kids think they are gods but instead are just compensating for holes in their life is used to brilliant effect. This is also the right kind of homoeroticism comedy I didn't know would work.
-Dorohedoro: This show is such a blast. The gore is so over the top at times and just a fun quirky world they inhabit. good stuff MAPPA.
-Talentless Nana: My Hero Academia meets a murder mystery. Very tense and watchable series with great performances.
-Haikyuu To The Top: Fun season of volleyball best boys. Wish it had longer highs and less lows.
-Millionaire Detective: Balance: Unlimited: Fun detective show with crazy antics and a nice buddy cop ambiance. Pretty derivative otherwise.
-Fire Force S2: David Production continues to flex, however the source material just doesn't really give them enough to make a dent in progressing this story or deepen the main cast.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
Anime of the Year

1. Chihayafuru S3: Oh Taichi my beautiful boy… another amazing season of Chihayafuru. Felt like they really stepped up on the production front for this season, a lot of beautiful shots and the OST as always was great. Really enjoyed the drama between our three main protags but was also really nice to see one of my favorite side characters Harada-Sensei get a ton of love. (RIP Unshou Ishizuka). I laughed, I cried and was on the edge of my seat during those karuta matches. This really is the GOAT.

2. Fruits Basket S2: SO MUCH CHARACTER GROWTH!. I also love Yuki now and want to protect him at all costs. Excellent drama as always and some really massive reveals have me very excited for the final season.

3. Kaguya-Sama: Love is War S2: Its more Kaguya! Just a really hilarious show and I really enjoyed newcomer (and best girl) Miko Iino.

4. Great Pretender: This one was originally going to be my number one show but the more time I spent thinking about it the more annoyed I got by certain events that kinda made me feel like the cons just didn't matter in the end. Poor Edamura. Still a really great show though and one that I can't wait to rewatch. Some really beautiful backgrounds and the dub was really well done.

5. Toilet-bound Hanako-kun: This was a 2021 watch for me but boy am I glad I squeezed this one in. Just a really great mix of romance, comedy and horror. The art in the show is stunning to look at, and I absolutely loved all of the characters in the show especially Nene. Megumi Ogata is the star of the show though with a great performance as Hanako-Kun.

6. Dorohedoro: Did not know anything about this going in and ended up really loving it. A hilarious gore fest. Really fun characters and great world building. MAPPA did an amazing job with this one.

Hidden Gems

1. Toilet-Bound Hanako-Kun: I'm also putting this here because I don't think a lot of people watched this one. Seriously watch it now! don't make Daikon legs cry!

2. APPARE-RANMAN!: I was not expecting to like this show as much as I did. Really fun anime original! Also Kenjiro Tsuda is so over the top in this and I love him.

3. Smile Down the Runway: This show got me interested in the fashion industry and I really enjoyed watching Chiyuki and Ikuto chasing after their dreams each week. It was also really nice to see the struggles that a lot of people in the industry have to deal with. Those outfits were fire too!

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Anime of the Year

1. Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! - Super likable cast with a very creative way of showing the process of making anime. OP is the bop of the year.
2. Great Pretender - Very clever show about the adventures of some con men. Some of the 5D chess maneuvers require a little bit of suspension of disbelief, but they were always entertaining. That Netflix money also let them use a Freddie Mercury song as the ending.
3. Kaguya-sama: Love is War S2 - Hilarious show with a lovable cast. Season 2 builds off of the first season in the best ways, and the anime adaption is really well done.
4. Haikyuu!!: To the Top - Fumbled a bit in some of the early episodes, but it did manage to recover and adapt the big moments really well. It's still the best sports anime out there.
5. DECA-DENCE - I love a good anime original series and this one delivered. Has one of my favorite early twists.
6. Dorohedoro - This show was crazy and weird but still somehow managed to make a likable cast out of a bunch of murdering weirdos.
7. My Hero Academia S4 - The anime adaption was all over the place this season, but it did adapt one of my favorite arcs in the later half pretty well, and the final episode was a banger.
8. Re:ZERO - Starting Life in Another World S2 - Only the first half of the season aired in 2020, and it was a whole lot of questions without much answers. It will probably be higher this year now that the second half is airing and is actually paying off.
9. Tower of God - Interesting premise, but I could tell the anime wasn't the best adaption. It made me interested in the original if notthing else.
10. Fate/Grand Order Absolute Demonic Front: Babylonia - I pretty much just watched this for the animation and it delivered!

Honorable Mentions

Attack on Titan S4
- Only 4 episodes aired in 2020. I'm sure the show is gonna sweep all the awards this year, so it can sit this one out.
BNA - Almost made my top 10. Trigger got so close, but they continue to not know how to wrap up a show.
Akudama Drive - This show was dumb but it was entertaining as hell.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Anime TV Series
  1. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Golden Wind - Great adaptation that improved on the original work. They made it with love and you can feel that. The story itself was enjoyable and the stand battles are probably the best yet in anime form.
  2. Great Pretender - People raved about this and I went in with high expectations yet this delivered. Crime based comedy anime are very few and anybody wanting something like that shouldn't miss this.
  3. Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! - The final Yuasa anime (if you forget Japan Sinks) and a great send off. Great characters and very interesting story. Really enjoyed this anime.
  4. Akudama Drive - Really enjoyable anime with great action and intense episodes. I also liked the themes and characters it added.
  5. Dorohedoro - Very bizarre yet interesting anime with great characters. It is very intriguing and the dark humor is well executed. Animation wise it is one of the better 3D anime and fits the atmosphere perfectly. I hope it does get sequel.
  6. Wave, Listen to Me! - I never heard about this anime before so I was surprised by how good it was. It features an adult cast of characters and is about a lady who becomes a radio host. The voice acting and dialogue is great and enjoyable to watch. There is a drama angle to it and each episode was interesting.
  7. Talentless Nana - I didn't expect to enjoy this anime as much as I did. It gave me a lot of nostalgia to the 2000s anime for some reason. The main character turned out to be really interesting and side steps the feeling that they are untouchable even if they are a genius.
  8. My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! - I was a fan of the manga adaptation so when this was announced I was excited. Thankfully it delivered and I don't have any bone to pick with it. I loved the voice acting (Katarina's voice actor was so damn good) and the artwork was very pleasing to look at. The anime did have some filler episodes but I really enjoyed them as they are more Bakarina bizzare adventures.
  9. Fruit Basket - Yet another season of this anime and it is as good as expected. Things get pretty heavy this season and it was way sadder than the last couple of seasons. In a good way of course.
  10. Deca-Dence - I enjoyed this anime but it could have been better. It had a really interesting universe and a really cool protagonist along with great cast of side characters. Saying that, I felt the anime should have had more time to cook. Whatever was there worked in the little episodes but it made the main character have less focus. Instead a sub plot takes a lot of time away from the most interesting parts. Natsume was one of the coolest main characters ever so it sucks she didn't get enough time to shine.
Anime Movie/OVA Series
1. Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan - A nice collection of stories that Rohan experienced. All of them were interesting or bizarre.
2. A Whisker Away - Nice movie that is uplifting. It has some inconsistent writing but that isn't a big issue because it is cute and ends in a satisfying way.

Honorable Mention
Aggretsuko Season 3 -
I wanted to add this to the vote but ran out of space. Pretty good third season but it wasn't as good as the first season by far. Better than the second though.

Kaguya Season 2 - Another great season of love duels and misunderstandings. Done really well as expected and one of the best anime this year.

Golden Kamui 3 - I love this anime so much. It is funny, has a great cast of characters, has interesting food information and when it gets serious it becomes really intense.

Sadly I wasn't able to watch many things last year. (Then again, it is probably a good thing because now I can make a list without agonizing over what to put on here). I wanted to put more stuff but I hit the limit. For that reason I got rid of the ones that are getting another season but I put on the list last year (With some exceptions like Fruit Basket because I skipped voting for it last year knowing another season is coming so I removed Kaguya and put it instead. There are also some that got their first season and have more coming on the way but I decided to add them any way. As for Jojo I thought each part is their own "thing" so I consider it an original anime).

I gotta watch Bofuri, BNA, Appare-Ranman!, The Gymnastics Samurai, Moriarty The Patriot.

Last edited:

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Anime TV Series

1. Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! - A love letter to anime, from anime. The core trio's passion for worldbuilding, character motion, and, er, money, is charming and infectious. The fantasy/animation sequences are breathtakingly gorgeous. It's got the OP of the year, too.

2. BNA - The usual cartoon hijinks and crazy action we've come to expect from Trigger, anchored by the surprisingly grounded relationship between Michiru and Nazuna. Also the greatest one-off baseball episode I've ever seen.

3. Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2 - The same mix of clever romcom humor with the occasional heartfelt moment (or episode). There's a gag near the end of the last episode that made me burst out laughing as hard as any joke ever has in my life.

4. Ascendance of a Bookworm Season 2 - Main's all-consuming lust for books continues unabated, even as she gains access to the church library, begins printing picture books, and generally acquires more agency. The already-dense worldbuilding gets fleshed out even more with an in-depth look at church politics, and after a fairly brief look in the first season we get some good character development for Ferdinand.

5. Jujutsu Kaisen - On paper a pretty standard battle shounen with your good-natured hero, supernatural powers, preestablished power structures, squad of tertiary characters with unique powers, etc. But boy, is it all executed well. What it lacks in originality it makes up in "good animewatch", as someone once put it many years ago. Fight scenes as dynamically directed and well-animated as there's ever been in action show, visually and personally appearing characters, and villains who are both utterly despicable and capable of being made fun of in the post-credits gag sequences.

6. Akudama Drive - An ultraviolent cyberpunk crime series with consistently solid action. You expect shows like this to be extremely cynical, and in some respects it is (it clearly has an unromantic view of law enforcement, for instance), but most of the time it's sincere and heartfelt.

7. Moriarty the Patriot - Not just Sherlock Holmes with hawt bishies (although it definitely is that), this show has the first interesting depiction of Moriarty since The Great Mouse Detective. The Moriarty brothers' ware on the aristocracy demonstrate a type of explicit class politics that is rare in anime.

8. My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! - Not a ton of substance here, but Bakarina and her haremettes are all very charming, and watching them bounce off each other provides plenty of low-stakes comedy.

9. Drifting Dragons - Unique worldbuilding, well-drawn characters and good action are all impressive, but not quite as impressive as winning another victory in anime's war on actual food with dishes that could not possibly exist.

10. Gal & Dino - Comfy comedy about a young woman and the goofy little sauropod who lives with her...in the first half . Every episode's second half has a live action sketch with a mascot costume Dino that addresses similar themes as the first half but rarely ends the same way. This show gets weird but is never boring.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Anime TV Series
1. Tower of God - It sometimes felt like I was reading a John le Carre novel. What are characters motivations? Why is anyone helping anyone in this contest? What is this contest even testing? What the heck is this Tower? In typical mystery box fashion that may turn off some, some answers arrive by the end of the first season, but you're left with many more new questions. The animation feels utterly unique as well, and it's all supported by an oustanding soundtrack that can feel suffocating, overwhelming, and somehow beautiful. I don't want to spoil any of the show but I did think this show had the best villain of the year, with Dorohedoro being a close second.

2. Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken - It's nice to have something that tries to articulate and capture what makes anime special. It's fun watching Chihayafuru and seeing Chihaya absolutely obsessed with Kurata, but it's utterly relatable having a similar character obsessed with anime. It's fitting that an anime devoted to animation is beautiful, and while it's not a show stopping jaw dropper like some episodes of Jujutsu Kaisen, it's constantly nice to look at and often has a serene beauty more akin to a Ghibli production. This was also probably the first show where I stopped skipping the OP and actually added the song to my favourites playlist.

3. Dorohedoro - This world is dirty and gross, its magic is gross and nasty, its characters are nasty fun. I don't even know what to articulate about this show but it pulls of 3D animation better than anything else I've watched (I think I appreciate it more here than Beastars). I'm surprised myself as I was turned off by the manga quickly but just as quickly bought into the show. Caiman is a "great" hero and I could see any character in this show being somebody's favourite.

4. Chihayafuru S3 - I wish everyone could care about something as much as Chihaya cares about Karuta. Like many viewers, I'd never watched any Karuta, let alone heard of it prior to this show. After watching three seasons, I'm not sure I fully understand the rules and strategies, and I almost can't believe that actual players memorize all the cards positions during play (though I'm sure they do, or at least come close). But although the show will make you care about Karuta, you also become so invested in the players relationships. This show is as much a romance as anything else, and the love triangle (quadrangle?) and other relationships will make you more frustrated than any sudden upset during a tournament's finals.

5. Jujutsu Kaisen - I'll write something nice about this next year when it makes my #1. This show is great. Hits all the pleasure centres similar to Mob Psycho 100, where animation, humor, plot/writing, and characters are all 💯. Can't wait to finish this over the next few weeks, and 2021 has had even better episodes than 2020.

7. Haikyuu!!: To The Top - Haikyuu was the first show I remember binging last year. Similar to other shows on my list, and probably just a familiar trope of anime, it felt good to focus on a small group, during those dramatic years of high school (they at least feel dramatic at the time), pursuing a singular goal with the directness of a laser. I never played volleyball, and I don't have any inkling to try now but I became invested. This series could rank higher but I probably enjoyed the pre-2020 episodes the most. Watching Karasuno play in Nationals is meant to be the payoff but I found myself more interested during the earlier seasons watching them hone their skills, improve steadily, and always looking out for the next big opponent.

8. Akudama Drive - This show was somewhat spoiled for me by being censored on Funimation. I'm turned off by excessive violence in shows often. It can feel like it exists solely to shock, but the censoring of this show just felt heavy handed and like it actively undercuts the brutal, uncaring world that the show is selling. That's overall a minor complaint though, I found myself attached to the characters and constantly rooting for them, and celebrating in their successes/transformations.

9. Beastars - I watched this at the start of the year and feel like I don't actually remember that many specifics. I remember it nailing a much grittier tone than I had expected from a show with anthropomorphized animals in high school. It almost feels cut from the same cloth as CW style teen dramas like Vampire Diaries or Riverdale.

That's everything I managed to watch last year, which exceeds the number of entries from my anime of the decade vote. I'll give COVID some credit for getting me to binge TV like I never have before. I'm not even including series which I started but never finished (Japan Sinks 2020, Great Pretender, Re-Zero), or older shows (watched all of Hunter x Hunter, started Jojo's Bizarre Adventure). I almost want to add my thoughts on Japan Sinks 2020 but I'll forego that given that I see a few people still enjoyed it. I didn't finish it but was extremely disappointed. It did get me to watch Night Is Short, Walk On Girl partly just to remind myself that Masaaki Yuasa is amazing and Devilman/Eizouken weren't flukes.

From looking at the lists here, I'll need to watch Great Pretender, Kaguya-Sama, Deca-Dence, and Re-Zero. I blasted through Akudama Drive this last week figuring I should watch it before compiling my list.

Last edited:

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
TV Shows:
  1. Dorohedoro - I knew this was one of my favorite anime ever from the very start. This hits every single checkmark on my list, like it was made for me. Amazing world-building, great characters with actual depth, interesting premise and plot, full of comedic moments that fit with the flow of the story/characters and not just one off gags, brutal but not disgustingly so, and well-animated. Actually one of the best 3D anime shows not made by Orange. Just making this list makes me want to rewatch it for a 3rd time.
  2. Akudama Drive - What it lacks in character depth, this fills with style and world-building. Fun, violent romp filled to the brim with pop culture references, a neat storyline, and some of the best cinematography and direction of nearly every other show of the year.
  3. Kaguya-sama S2 - Somehow even funnier than season 1 while also doing some amazing character work and introducing new characters. References and callbacks are beyond top-notch. Cannot wait for a season 3.
  4. Jujutsu Kaisen - Shounen anime/manga tends to be rather similar across the board, even with wildly different initial concepts or characters, with few exceptions. This is one of them. Not only has MAPPA done an insane job week-to-week with this from an animation and direction standpoint, but the source material is both top-notch and rivals some of the greatest Jump series ever created. This show will also be on my 2021 AotY list with how the 2nd cour has done
  5. Fruits Basket S2 - While it weaker overall than the first season, the slow buildup to Akito's reveal at the end along with tons of time spent with side characters in prep for the final season was great. The last stretch of episodes were heartbreaking and a sign of things to come.
  6. RE:Zero S2 - Part 1 - How do you make a series where you spend a full cour not making any progress? While a bit frustrating there were so many resets, the strength here comes from seeing not only everything that needs to be overcome, but also how layered both the events and characters are. Amazing ramp-up to the finale and eventual turn by Subaru to walk the narrowest of paths to save everyone. Part 2 will also end up on my 2021 AotY list.
  7. Great Pretender - While the final act stumbles a bit from an absolute ton of character issues and Edamura being dragged through the mud for no reason but to serve the plot, the overall show was solid. Great characters with a focus on backstory tied to a particular case, amazing score and voice work, and alot of heart. Especially Cynthia's arc, which is far and away the best one of the entire run.
  8. DanMachi S3 - After the train wreck of S2, this came back and knocked it out of the park. The story of humanizing monsters isn't anything new, but the progression of the story along with how that was tied into the dungeon and the world itself was great. Also a step back up from the action standpoint, with two insane Ais fights. Speaking of Ais, it was nice to also see her show some emotion instead of being the most powerful cardboard cutout.
  9. Keep Your Hands Off Of Eizouken - Another great show handicapped by a weak final arc. A true love-letter to animation, with the first few episodes blowing me completely away. The mixing of the real and animated world in the show, the logic and thought behind the animation and their approach to each project was great.
  10. BNA - This would have been my #2 anime of the year and what I would have considered Trigger's best work, all destroyed in less than 15 minutes. Don't get me wrong, this still makes my list mainly because the first 11.5 episodes were some of the best fun Ive had with an anime. Interesting plot build-up, great world building, good character work and growth over the show, and amazing animation and direction. It fails to reach higher because it fails to keep with the themes it built up and instead trade all that in for bombast that makes the narrative seem more like a fluke.
Hidden Gems:
  1. Somali and The Forest Spirit - A wholesome father/daughter anime that showcases the brutality of humanity. Heartwarming and sad and I wish more people had watched about it. More than likely forgotten as it was one of the last pre-Covid anime of 2020
  2. Wave, Listen to Me - A lesson on how to make an anime about normal adults. Well, mostly normal. Also, this was a show with a majority female cast that weren't a part of a harem or overly sexualized. While that shouldn't amaze me, from watching anime...it totally does. Also, how do you make radio interesting???
  3. No Guns Life S2 - A wild cyberpunk future where the focus was on the noir elements and less on the action or bombast. One of the more interesting anime of last year in how plot twists were well informed by character history and motivations. Also surprised me that the final battle didn't actually just blow the budget by having the two Resolvers just duke it out.
Movies/OVA/Etc.
  1. Made in Abyss - Dawn of Deep Soul - Ignoring the unneeded 10 seconds of this two hour film...what a wild, emotional journey. While I disagree with the memes out there about Bondrewd, he is yet another white whistle that is far more than meets the eye. Beautiful and brutal and disturbing in all the ways you expect from this series.
  2. Burn the Witch - While I wish they had adapted the initial one-shot, this was a great adaptation of Kubo's short run.
  3. So Says Rohan Kishibe - I'd pay good money for more of Rohan's Anthology series. The self-contained episodes were interesting and disturbing, filled with little twists to keep you guessing on just how things will end.
  4. Weathering With You - It makes the list because it came out in the US in 2020 and it was decent. Not nearly as good as Your Name, but still beautiful. Probably Shinkai's weakest film.
Honorable Mentions:
Beastars -
This would near the top of my 2020 list, but I watched it in 2019.
ID: Invaded - Neat sci-fi story that went off the rails in the last few episodes
Heya Camp - Cute side stories, but not enough to warrant a place on the list.
Bofuri - Dumb isekai fun with good references. Got a bit ridiculous by the end with how powerful Maple was.
Villainess, All Routes Lead to Doom! - Another isekai that was hilarious, mainly because Catarina was oblivious to everyone's advances.
Fire Force S2 - This was a step up from season 1, with some amazing direction and animation, but with one arc bringing the season down and Tamaki still being one of the worst written female characters in recent memory.
Deca-Dence - A show that could have used a bit more time in the oven and more of a focus on Natsume instead of the cyborg world, even if the misdirection in episode one was pretty brilliant.
Tonikawa - Cute, charming, hilarious, and dumb fun. I'd like more of this.
Bookworm S2 - This basically sits at #10 with BNA. Probably one of the best twists on the isekai genre. Myne is an amazing character and her role in that world has been great to watch.
Gymnastics Samurai - A sports anime that I actually enjoyed brought by the same team that made the only idol anime I've ever enjoyed.
Talentless Nana - Neat super hero whodunit story where we know who the murderer is, it's how she avoids getting caught. Sits in the same place as Bookworm S2.

Last edited:

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
(I'm noticing a lack of Nana between page 1 to 2 :p) There was a lot of anime going on all last year though, despite COVID and even several weeks of delays.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
(I'm noticing a lack of Nana between page 1 to 2 :p) There was a lot of anime going on all last year though, despite COVID and even several weeks of delays.
I might need to readjust my list a bit because somehow I had it on my Google doc, but didn't included it on my overall rankings. With as much anime I watched last year that I also liked, I could have easily made a top 20.

aidangs

Jan 8, 2019
Anime TV Series
1. Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! - A modern classic, an all-time great, and one of my favorite anime period. It reminded me why I love anime so much in the first place, and the endless possibilities that exist within the medium. The imagined sequences in particular were really something special. Every episode put a big dumb smile on my face and had me thinking "Okay the next episode can't possibly be better than this" and then it always was! Also that OP!

2. Kaguya-sama: Love is War S2 - Somehow even better than the already fantastic first season. I love the ways they developed the main cast and watching them interact was just a joy, the VAs are really doing work here.

3. Jujutsu Kaisen - The show that put MAPPA on the map(pa) for me. The action is super kinetic and fast-paced in a way that I haven't seen many anime manage to pull off successfully, but they do it and then some. I didn't love the characters at first but they really grew on me as the season went on. Could totally see this being the next Demon Slayer in terms of a shonen series that gets a massive popularity boost from its anime adaptation. Killer OP, too.

4. Appare-Ranman! - What if Steel Ball Run but Wacky Races? Easily one of the best casts of the year, plus the art is so vibrant and colorful. Every episode was a blast, I only wish there had been more actual racing.

5. In/Spectre (Kyokou Suiri) - This one came out of nowhere and totally blew me away. Kotoko is super charming and her dynamic with Kurou was really fun to watch. Hopefully the second season sticks to shorter stories since the main arc that makes up most of this season starts to drag by the end, but that's really my only complaint.

6. Golden Kamuy S3 - Hey, it's more Golden Kamuy! I still think this adaptation doesn't quite live up to the incredible manga, but it's doing way better now than that unfortunate first season. This arc splits up the cast in an interesting way and gives the minor members of the cast a chance to shine, and it's as absurd and wild as ever. Great voice acting, a killer soundtrack, lots of facts about the flora and fauna of Sakhalin.

7. Deca-Dence - Perhaps more than any other show in 2020, this one highlighted the strengths of original anime. It was some of the most fun I had watching anime last year, and being surprised every episode and not sure what would happen next week was a major part of that. Great animation and a really cool premise make it that much better. I won't say much else but if you plan on watching this, make sure to go in knowing as little as possible. It's a pretty wild ride.

8. Kakushigoto - One of the funniest shows I watched last year for sure. It was nice to see something new from the creator of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, and while it definitely has a similar energy to that, it's also a surprisingly heartwarming story about the relationship between a single father and his daughter.

9. Tower of God - Shonen junk food in its purest form. You can tell what obvious inspirations it's pulling from, but the premise was interesting enough to get me to check it out and the action and great animation kept me coming back. Also the first manhwa adaptation I've seen, hope we get more of those in the future.

10. Sing "Yesterday" for Me (Yesterday wo Utatte) - This is a show about a mid-20s burnout who feels left behind by his peers, and as a mid-20s burnout who feels left behind by his peers, I enjoyed it! It tackles romance in a mature way that I very much appreciated, although the rushed ending left it on a sour note.

Hidden Gem Anime TV Series
1. Somali and the Forest Spirit - Comfy fantasy slice-of-life with an interesting premise. I nearly forgot about this one and don't remember a ton of people talking about it, but it's worth checking out if you want something a little slower paced.

2. Wave, Listen to Me! (Nami yo Kiitekure) - Sugiyama Riho's performance as the main character is some of the best anime VA I've heard in years. Didn't actually end up finishing this since it kinda lost my interest halfway through but wanted to at least shout it out for that, and for being a rare anime with an entirely adult main cast.

Honorable Mentions
1. BNA
- Just about made my list. Ultimately it's pretty standard Trigger, and if that's what you're into you'll have a great time. The baseball episode was my stand-out favorite.

2. Attack on Titan: The Final Season - Didn't really feel good about putting this on the list proper since only a few episodes of it actually aired in 2020, so to the honorable mentions it goes! Between the studio change and the infamous source material I was half expecting this season to be a dumpster fire but MAPPA has really nailed it in basically every way (although the CG titans don't always look great). Definitely expecting to see this on a ton of lists for 2021.

3. My Hero Academia S4 - Similar to AoT, only half of this aired in 2020 but it was an arc that I really enjoyed! Gentle Criminal is a great villain and it was nice to get a slice-of-life breather after the very fight-heavy first half.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Anime TV Series

1. Bessatsu Olympia Kyklos - Greatest OP. Greatest EDs in history of anime. A super zany comedy that achieves everything it sets out to do and ends surprisingly well.

2 . Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2 - Weirdly, I don't actually remember much from this season but it's Kaguya and the excellent production was still there far as I recall. The Ishigami arc actually didn't do much for me this time but I'll just chalk it to me being a terrible rewatcher and having already seen it in the manga format.

3. Kakushigoto - 32% Shirobako/Bakuman, 32% SZS and 32% Usagi Drop sans the icky stuff. With a 4% cherry doze of soul crushing. A decently put together, eclectic mix of elements that balance and offset other's weaknesses well. Kumeta's comedy can still be repetitive and the cryptic flash forwards grew long in the tooth quickly but at the end. they ultimately paid off handsomely. Admittedly it struggled to retain my attention through long stretches but i's this rare instance of complete viewing experience,a thought out and actually finished, with a bow tie, work, that's still way too rare in the medium and it deserves some accolades for that.

4. Jujutsu Kaisen - JJK has things too commend it for. The more grounded nature of the cast as well as their immediate interactions and dialogue are refreshing compared to Luffys and Narutos of yore and present. The production excels, particularly duuing the high-octane action delivering constantly good and sometimes stunning animation and does that constantly throughout it's lengthy 2 cour run. By no means small feat and mostly why it is here. However, the story that praiseworthy production is servicing just isn't any good. Beyond being an accumulation of many a rote story, worldbuilding, power system tropes, it flails around wildly in in its first half shifting from one thing to another and then just falls flatly on its face when attempting to execute any kind of longer story arc or character backstory.

Anime Movie/OVA Series
1. Made in Abyss: Dawn of the Deep Soul

Honorable Mentions:

1. Sagrada Reset - Smartest anime since SAO at least. Totally from this year too.

2. Shin Joker Adventures (aka - Fire Force S2 11-13) - I can't really recommend FF's new season in good faith, no matter how far I stretch my conscience. The Joker arc however was a well done, sort of Bungou prequel like interlude, away from the main cast and better for it, with a standout episode or two.

Last edited:

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
TV Series

1. Chihayafuru S3 - Fantastic series that just keeps getting better. Finally getting some of that juicy romance drama too.
2. Akudama Drive - Stunning art and animation with a plot that just kept on surprising.
3. Princess Connect Re:Dive - Adorable, hilarious, and well animated. My favorite comfy show of the year. Just pure joy.
4. BNA - Wish this was 2 cours at least. Love the art, animation, and that soundtrack. Best OP / ED of the year easily.
5. Kaguya S2 - Good stuff as usual.
6. DECA DENCE - Another fantastic anime original. Stunning animation and a fresh concept.
7. Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle - If you enjoy laughing at other peoples misfortune, this is the one for you
8. DanMachi S3 - A fantastic follow up to a terrible S2. I really like where the story is going
9. Fruits Basket S2 - Found this season lacking compared to the first but it ended very strongly.
10. Misfit of Demon King Academy - Where its not enough to kill someone to make them die. Sometimes you need fast food like this for your soul.
11. SAO: Alicization: War of Underworld Pt 2 - Really enjoyed the set piece battles.

Movies

1. Weathering With You - The most beautiful movie I've ever laid eyes on. Really fantastic soundtrack as well.
2. Saekano Fine - One of the best romcom endings...ever? Its insane.
3. A Whisker Away - Extremely charming and well animated.

Notable

1. Heya Camp - bite sized camp girl adventures
2. Umayon - bite sized horse girl adventures

Last edited:

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
Anime Tv Series
  1. Kaguya-sama: Love is War 2 - Even better than season 1, and the comedy had me laughing out loud each week.
  2. Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front - Babylonia - The Fate franchise is one of my favorite pieces of media, and I was greatly anticipating seeing this arc from the gacha game animated. It absolutely did not disappoint. My favorite action scenes of the year come from this. So much hype.
  3. Akudama Drive - Probably my favorite art of the year. Great action as well. Made for excellent junk-food. I love how ridiculous and over the top early parts of the series was.
  4. The Misfit of Demon King Academy - I'm a sucker for power fantasy shows like this, and Anos (main character) being such a great protag really made me really fall in love with the show. So glad a season 2 got announced last week.
  5. My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom - The initial premise of the show drew me in, but the comedy and characters especially Katarina and her hilarious internal monologues. Her harem competing for her affection is also extremely entertaining as well. Hopefully in season 2 we see some more development.
  6. Haikyuu!!: To the Top - I love sports, and I love our protag duo. Haikyuu is the only sports show that can have a game last the entire season and keep me entertained. I love the emotions that it draws out of me. I've teared up for the losing team multiple times throughout this series. A must watch for fans of Shonen and sports.
  7. Bofuri - Cute girls doing cute things, check. Overpowered protagonist, check. Maple and her antics in this MMO game are quite hilarious, especially because the GMs keep failing to find ways for her to not break the game. Probably my biggest surprise show of the year.
  8. A Certain Scientific Railgun T - Railgun continues to be the better series between it, Index, and Accelerator. More of the good stuff
  9. Isekai Quartet 2 - I love all 4 of the series in this, so seeing these characters interact in hilarious ways is always gonna be a plus from me.
  10. Princess Connect! Re:Dive - Never expected a gacha game that I've never heard of anime adaptation to be one of my favorite shows of the year, but they did a great job with making the show funny alsongside great animation. Karyl was the star of the show for me.

Movies
  1. Fate/Stay Night Heaven's Feel - III Spring Song - Sensational movie to cap off the final route. Ufotable continues to slay with the action scenes.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty intense year, as several shows had me racing to watch them as soon as the animes came out.

Anime TV Series

1. Millionaire Detective Balance Unlimited

Haru will forever remain one of my favorite lead characters as his justice leaning inclinations, desires to do things by the books, but to also go the distance for his friends, was, wile not revolutionary or unique, done so well that it just stuck with me. While his partner, Daisuku, could have had a bit more personality, his smug cheekiness was a great balance to Haru's character. Also, favorite thing, was seeing how money could be used just so outlandishly that we got some of the coolest moments in anime all year.

2. Major 2nd Second Season

Major 2nd Second Season puts Major 2nd as one of the best baseball series out there for me. Daigo having control to mold a baseball team in his own image, and work his magic as both captain but also as a player was fantastic character growth. While it may seem like he is some prodigy he still went through the usual teenage angst and all to make bad decisions a few times and to require his teammates and family to pull him back to his feet. It was a blast all around and the side characters shone. Would have been 1st, if the second main character, Nishina, and Chiba had more of a role and presence.

3. The Irregular at Magic High School Visitor Arc (Season 2)

Mahouka Koukou makes a return after like a half decade hiatus in an epically cool way and it showed. The visual effects were some of the best around and the clean character design and environments made for a familiar and comfortable anime without nothing to ding it for. This worked wonders for the many magic slash technology fight scenes involved the parasites that found themselves into the world. All relevant characters of the main cast played important roles and those roles were equally split between male and female members (well unless you were a Leohart fan, lol), but still, some of the most powerful female characters are in this anime. LAstly, this anime will forever have one of the most epic magic scenes in anime of the year, Tatsuya Shiba along with Miyuki, working wonders on Japans tallest skyscraper. Fantastic.

4. Super HxEROS

This was actually one of those shows that had me hooked from start to finish. Normal everyday characters fighting aliens with their super powers that actually rip their clothes off if they are too powerful is the funniest yet coolest thing around. The lead character makes this wonderful as well as the supporting cast.

5. Plunderer

This was one of the anime that made me want to rush out and get the manga. While some readers suggested the anime actually had to be an adaptation and not just a straight up panel for panel adaptation, the anime story was compelling enough with characterization, world building, and storytelling that, I loved it. The whole enemies become allies thing and then the main character descends into madness and the other main characters must find a way to save him was compelling. Definitely a fan.

6. Sorcerous Stabber Orphen

Orphen is my favorite er older teen or is he in his twenties lead character of the year. While he has this attitude or air about him that makes him want to be a lone wolf, the people around him, his mentee Magick and his sister, help make him friendly, likeable, and care about his friends. Theres lots of cute moments between them. The plot is interesting too with the potential for bad actors infiltrating the magic order, the outcast Orphen needing to solve it, and also training and helping Magick become a sorcerer. Really good magic fantasy series (that isn't an isekai)

7. Tower of God

Highlights Korean series are an untapped potential for new animation storytelling. I thought it was overhyped as I was aware of it for years, but the anime convinced me that it deserved all the hype. The Twenty Fifth Baam, while starting as a meek kind of obsessed for the girl that was his companion, was a wonderful lead character who, thanks to the allies that saw something in him, became a light in the darkness and an inspiration for all and for me. Loved the story that was told here as well as the potential dark someone pulling the strings in the dark going on. Would have been higher if more characters played vital roles, and we had more episodes to know what comes next.

8. Haikyuu!! To the Top

Adequate adaptation of my favorite sports manga.

9. Shadowverse

Best of the card slash toy anime of the year. Would be a bit better if characters like Kazuki were just comedy relief (fortunately in the series portion of the tournament, he is treated with more respect).

10. King's Avatar Season 2

Excellent continuation of the best of the Chinese animations, would have been higher if it wasn't just set up for the next round of Glory. Looking forward to see what team Happy will be now that the team is assembled. Actually love this for the E-sports side of things, teammate shuffling, stealing or bargaining for teammates, and seeing how E-sports players just have fun with the game in their downtime (sockpuppet accounts, grinding, crafting, teasing each other).

Anime Movies

1. My Hero Academia: Hero's Rising

(came out in 2020 in NA).

Here because its BakuDeku the Movie.

OP
OP
SolidSnakeBoy

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
DTL adding 7 rows to the spreadsheet in one clean swoop.

(Thanks for adding B.Detective shows is great)

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
TV anime of the year
1. Akudama Drive: Honestly it is a very schlocky kind of show. But there is a lot to like about it. The production value is incredible and consistent throughout the run, and every character gets very appropriate endings. The protagonist is fantastic and learns to step in a role she inadvertently stepped into herself. It gives a very bittersweet and yet satisfying conclusion, and that is all you could ask for in a show like this.
2. Love is War S2: It has been a while since a show had me laughing so hard. It also manages to balance the comedy with dramatic material incredibly well. The characters are always progressing and new things are being added, so you never get the feeling they are running the same jokes.
3. Get Your Hands Off Eizouken: Three high school girls try to make anime shorts within time constraints. It is about the creative process. But it is also about creative constraints and how new creativity comes out of even hindrances. It also has very strong character design and characterization for the trio, who have varied designs to them, varied backgrounds, and who don't quiet fit into a mold.
4. Jujutsu Kaisen: The story is so far just a regular shonen jump style story. That said the production value, incredible set pieces, and the varied characters carry this show hard.
5. Fruit Basket S2: Not every episode is good at the drama, but the ones that hits hard hits very hard. Just a very good watch seeing these characters try to navigate through toxic relationships and trying to overcome that. Not as tightly constructed as S1 in terms of structure.
6. Beastars: The best 3d cg anime effort I have seen yet. Very bizarre and mature concept, it delivers an interesting show not so much about differences between the animals, but about feelings and instincts.
7. Wave! Listen to Me!: A decent drama/comedy about someone becoming a radio show host. At times strangely disturbing too, in a dark comedy sort of way. A lot of credit has to go to the voice of the main character for making it all work.
8. Decadence: Entertaining show with capitalism is evil theme and a bizarre twist. It is carried by the relationship between the main character and her gruff mentor, who carries a dark secret.
9. BNA: It is a show that I think really shit its bed thematically towards the last three episodes, but it is here because: a) The show has incredible craftsmanship. b) The relationship between the main character and her new friend vigilante friend is wholesome and entertaining. Also, the baseball episode is just the best.
10. Great Pretender: A heist type of show about con men conning bad people. It is incredibly fun, but also has a really stupid and mean spirited final arc.

Honorable Mention
Dorohedro
: Very violent action/dark comedy that is pretty much my jam.
Somali and the Forest Spirit: Fantasy adventure of a golem learning to be a father towards a human girl. Who could hate this.
Sing Yesterday For Me: Grounded romance/drama with grounded characters. Except one person, who I didn't like because she feels like an anime character in a world of real people. I appreciate the attempt, even if the ending is horrible and no one should have gotten together in the end.

Last edited:

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Anime TV Series
1. Dorohedoro - Hadn't read the manga, so the dark and humorous world of Dorohedoro really caught me off guard. Definitely a show to watch for folks looking to have a good laughs, but the mystery surrounding both character's origins definitely grips one's interest.
2. Jujutsu Kaisen - A fun shounen romp that doesn't get too caught up in the standard tropes, so it's less cheesy and a bit more unpredictable. The animation is excellent and character designs are fun. The female designs are particularly well designed without eyecandy pandering. Can't wait to see how this world develops further.
3. My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! - Definitely one of the better comedies of the year with a great twist where the protagonist is actually reborn as the antagonist of her new isekai world. She nonetheless plows (pun intended) through expectations and grabs the hearts of thousands haha.
4. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu S2 - RE:Zero returns after a great first season and doesn't miss a beat. If tragedy, magic isekai stuff and exposition is your sort of thing you'll love this.
5. Haikyuu!! To The Top - Another returning show that's coming off a longer break, but you wouldn't notice since it flows so nicely after it's last season. Great animation, music and clean sportsmanship gives us another winner this year.
6. Golden Kamuy S3 - Season 3 of a lowkey sleeper hit. Kamuy presents us with one of the more unique experiences in recent anime despite a more realistic setting than most shows (early 20th century post war-Japan). We can thank the fun cast of miscreants and the surprising melting pot of northern Japan filled with Indigenous, Japanese and Russian influence.
7. Ascendance of a Bookworm S2 - A mix of fuedal age politics and economics clashes with modernism in the form of a reborn female lead inside of a young girl's body A very warm show that thankfully eschews the more common exploitative tropes in favor of great worldbuilding, warm characters and very deliberate politicking on the part of the protagonists navigating a world teeming with as many social pitfalls as there are magical ones in the show.
8. Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! - A fun and educational romp that pushes a normal everyday school setting to it's absolute limits with sheer imagination on the part of the school anime club making anime from scratch (yeah, anime within anime. you heard it right!). Should be on everyone's list for sure.
9. Fruits Basket S2 - Another excellent series held in wide regard by many for years before streaming took off. FB definitely holds it's head high above it's peers with lovely designs, music and character growth. Definitely a feel good show of the year.
10. Great Pretender - Good music, character design and a very fleshed international setting gives the viewer an tantalizing peek into the world of confidence men (and women), swindlers, killers and all around lowlifes without delving into excessive violence. Surely a show that will be recommended by many this year and deservedly so.

Hidden Gem Anime TV Series
1. Somali and the Forest Spirit
2. In/Spectre (Kyokou Suiri)
3. BNA

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
2020 anime:

1. Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2 - Best anime of the year two years running. Can season 3 make it a third? (assuming it comes out in 2021 of course)
2. Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! - Kind of tails off at the end but overall another excellent outing from Yuasa. Kanamori is the best
3. My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! - Katarina definitely carried this show, I just wish the other characters were a bit more interesting.
4. Tonikaku Kawaii - A cute adaptation to a super cute manga.
5. Madoka Magica: Magia Record - People were down on this series, and not without reason as it's certainly somewhat messy given its gacha game roots, but it's still a compelling enough story with solid visuals as befitting the series that I enjoyed it and am looking forward to seeing how season 2 resolves everything.
6. Gochiusa Season 3 - Rabbit House Adventures Part 3. Nothing to say here, if you enjoy these types of shows and liked this show in the past it's more of the same.
7. Uzaki-chan Wants To Hang Out - It's trash, but it's less the smelly dumpster trash and more like that scuffed up wooden wardrobe with a really tacky design and broken handles that just doesn't fit in your room anymore that you leave on the side of the road.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
LAST MINUTING THIS

Anime Series of the year – Top 10
1 Keep Your Hands off Eizouken!
2 My Life as a Villainess All Routes Lead to Doom

Anime Movie/OVA of the year – Top 5

Hidden Gem Anime Series -- Top 3
1. Princess Connect Re;Dive

lol i didnt watch shit from last year

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Anime TV Series
1.Deca-Dence - Really well directed show with a smart script. It was a fun criticism of captalism.
2.Kaguya-sama: Love is War S2 - The direction was impeccable resulting in a cour that was better than the first.
3.Akudama Drive - I found the 2nd half to be stronger than the 1st and Swindler's character development was outstanding. The post production team went into overdrive at times. Swindler da G.O.A.T.
4.Beastars - Great art direction but I disliked some aspects of the final arc in this cour.
5.Dorohedoro - Really fun show with playful direction and a great background art director.
6.BNA - Possibly the best thing Trigger has done outside of the LWA OVAs.
7.Jujutsu Kaisen - The animation was insane.
8.Millionaire Detective: Balance: Unlimited - I haven't finished this yet but I was enjoying it alot.
9.Wave, Listen to Me! - Really problematic at times but I enjoyed it.
10.Great Pretender - The final arc is super bad/aggravating but the first two arcs are fairly fun and unique. More shows should try and take place in different countries.

Last edited:

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I almost felt I hadn't watched enough to really put down on here, and then I took a long look at what actually released last year, lol.

Anime TV Series
1. Akudama Drive: It's kinda random, but the ragtag cast of assorted ne'er do wells (and some psychos among them) really does remind me in a way of a bit of bebop mixed together with a heist/ocean's 11 type scenario, with the cyberpunk dystopia setting a better world than the game of the same name.
2. Kaguya-Sama: Love is War Season 2: More Kaguya is amazing, and taking a bit of the spotlight off of Kaguya and Miyuki gives more room to 'grow', both for the burgeoning confession 'war', as well as fleshing out the rest of the group in general.
3. Deca-Dence: It doesn't aaaaalways work out, but in the end the combination of the protagonist(s) make for an engaging drama with some good action beats.
4. Adachi and Shimamura: It's not perfect, but I'll take a well-developed yuri romance (compared to the schlock that made up the yuri-bait trash like Assault Lilies or arguably Magia Record)
5. My Next Life as a Villainess: All Roads lead to Doom!: It's maybe less novel nowadays, but I enjoyed the full-on harem aspect without resorting to creepy shit, and while Bakarina's density shows now signs of ever letting up (aka the endless summer pitfall), I still really enjoyed seeing things play out in anime format, even if it misses some finer details from the source material - bring on season 2! (though hopefully with less random filler episodes to pad things out)
6. Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World Season 2: (Part 1): Subaru and co.'s comeback worked better than I honestly thought it would, and while the 'gimmick' can drag at times, it still makes for some engrossing moments of despair, followed by eventual elation when things finally take a turn for the better.
7. Ascendance of a Bookworm Season 2: I really enjoy the 'mixture' of science and magic coming together - it's like Dr. Stone, but much less shonen-Y in a way that tends to irk me as shows go on. It also avoids being overtly creepy considering Mein's age, but still manages to tackle some deeper/darker themes.
8. BNA: I like Trigger, and the dynamic between the shows leads bridges/pads over some of the weirder 'wait what' type questions that the show doesn't always perfectly answer.

Honorable Mention(s):
1. The Misfit of Demon King Academy - This show is so blatant about its power fantasy it loops back into being funny/comical, and while I can't full on recommend it due to that aspect, it really is worth an episode or two to see if you'd like it.
2. Japan Sinks 2020: This has a few too many lows/odd moments that kind of detract from its overall message, and the pacing ain't great, but it's got some heart to it.

Still need to finish:
-Great Pretender, lol.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah shit, I actually forgot about this at the last minute

Status
Not open for further replies.