• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
two things,

1) Persona 5 Strikers winning best PS4 game was kinda unexpected and funny
2) Damn FFXIV, still not your time yet huh

It requires a massive time commitment to get to the latest expansion, and it having a subscription fee to get there is also a massive deterrent (I know it is free up to a certain point, but it will presumably take longer then a month to smash through all the remaining content). Ultimately, there are just too many barriers. I am sure it is incredible, but I can play 10 games I know are also good in the time it takes to experience the latest expansion.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Consider starting earlier. Say December 15th - January 15th. Puts us into media GOTY season and closer to The Game Awards (TM). Some people will be ready to vote early when GOTY talk is top of mind, and the tool allows changes anyway.
i don't like this suggestion.

i like that the voting period starts after the year is fully over, meaning that games releases in December are eligible and i like that we get some extra time in the new year lull to finish up games we didn't have time for when they released before ballots are due. media GOTY season is too early, it's not resetera's that is too late

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Great job on the summary and the whole process of hosting the GOTY voting.
If I would have one suggestion for next year, it will be to re-introduce the Virtual Reality category.
2022 in particular will be a very special year for the medium.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
This was the first year I didn't vote. With no PS5 and me intentionally passing on Xbox games until I had a Series X I just didn't feel qualified. My top two games were Resident Evil 8 and Metroid Dread so I'm at least not salty about the results! Kena was also a very pleasant surprise. Looking forward to seeing what Ember Lab can create next now that they are established as a developer and Kena's success making funding their next game easier. Looks like a decent year to me and I look forward to catching up once I have the right hardware!

Memory Pak

Aug 29, 2018

i like that the voting period starts after the year is fully over, meaning that games releases in December are eligible and i like that we get some extra time in the new year lull to finish up games we didn't have time for when they released before ballots are due. media GOTY season is too early, it's not resetera's that is too late

Personally also prefer voting to occur exclusively in the new calendar year for similar reasons. But perhaps others would like to vote earlier? There are quite a lot of people who only play a game or two which came out that year, so they might already know their GOTY picks earlier.
I think encouraging participation should be the primary focus of these annual voting threads, so if there's demand for starting earlier I think it's worth considering. Voting could still run until the end of January just like now, or people who submit early and want to add something later could easily do so, too. (That said, I haven't seen people clamouring to start earlier at all, so maybe such a change wouldn't serve anybody).

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
(That said, I haven't seen people clamouring to start earlier at all, so maybe such a change wouldn't serve anybody).
It's one of those things that's impossible to prove. If there's a certain subset of people who would be motivated to vote during the industry GotY season but forget about it by the time January rolls around, then obviously you wouldn't hear from them because they're not participating.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine FF14/Endwalker not making it to the top of anything lol. Oh well.
I don't think it being an MMO makes it so different from every other RPG for it to be in a different category, but I didn't even vote so I don't really have room to complain. #11 overall is still a really good spot.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Just found out about #1, we fucking did it gang!

773w.gif

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Also unlike the media, this is not our job to play games and review them regularly. We have other responsibilities, family, childcare, work, other hobbies. We have to set out money for what we want to play, unlike the press who get review copies for free. Some of us can't just bang out a list in no time and need time to catch up on games in what free time we get.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
Thanks to everyone who put this together and totted up the votes.

I've yet to play them but Metroid Dread and Returnal seem a great fit for #1 and #2 spot, I've played the other games that make up the top 10 and they are definitely worthy of their Top-10 position in my opinion.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats Metroid!! Well deserved!! The game is amazing!!

Also SMT V as best RPG, really happy for this game scoring so high.

And also happy for seeing P5S as the best PS4 game of the year, I think this is the only game I played in my PS4 lol

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Great result with Metroid, would also have been happy with Returnal. Both amazing games.