• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the whole nature of Resetera being founded was with a community focus and a priority on transparency and we've now seen the site owner profit off those efforts while un-transparently handing the site off to a random corporation. It changes the very nature of what this place is.
Agreed. Not surprising, don't blame the old owner, but it's the antithesis of what this site was supposed to be. They inherited this community through established trust. Many will probably disagree, but it really feels like the community was sold out on here.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean Cerium has been basically faceless for years already and obviously wanted profits and growth. He already did sell the site because his future analysis wasn't working out and the mods and admins had no say or share in the matter...
I would believe Cerium took their arguments to heart. A corporation isn't going to. I could be wrong but that is a low chance of being wrong.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
When can I log in with Facebook?

Also this doesn't mean doom yet but it is hard to believe the site can do as well as it did the last 4 years with a new owner like a faceless corporation who will want guaranteed growth and profits. They can sell the site if the future analysis isn't working out and admins, GM's, mods, etc have no say. Corporations are not your friends.

Cerium sold it to a corporation so he wasn't your friend either. He sold to the highest bidder, so will they. Era is money and they just bought it and it will run itself, it's a bargain. Cerium on his own account didn't do anything these days, it's free money at the end of the day.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Wow. Baffled. So the community created content has been sold for 4,5 millions to big capital

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Now that it's owned by a EU company you can spam them with GDPR access requests 😂

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I can understand sole ownership of the site becoming too much to deal with, hopefully things don't change up too much around here. Even if things can get heated, this place is still better than 99% of other online game forums and communities, and I enjoy being able to chat in the sub-communities here without having to hide who I am like I have to in so many other spaces.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I can understand sole ownership of the site becoming too much to deal with, hopefully things don't change up too much around here. Even if things can get heated, this place is still better than 99% of other online game forums and communities and I enjoy not having to hide who I am here like I have to in so many other spaces.
As long as the mods are happy then I'm happy I just hope we don't lose too much of the community.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
This is why I think the new owners should just come in and remove all the mods and put their own mods. If their serious about wanting this place to grow then getting those community's back here would be great.
I have my issues with how staff have conducted themselves and handled certain situations on this forum (to put it simply), but replacing all of them with outsiders that have zero connection to the site or the community won't make things better, and it certainly won't bring back anyone who was driven away before.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This sounds like a great way to drive even more communities away rather than invite old ones back.
Indeed, I have many issues with how the staff have handled sub communities, especially since learning more from communities I was not within after Cyberpunk, but they at least (sometimes) tried to show they were making the effort.

That any corporation with the focus on maximising their return on investment would do anything but a worse job against such a bar does not seem likely.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
I can understand sole ownership of the site becoming too much to deal with, hopefully things don't change up too much around here. Even if things can get heated, this place is still better than 99% of other online game forums and communities, and I enjoy being able to chat in the sub-communities here without having to hide who I am like I have to in so many other spaces.
It's disappointing to me that we ended up with a sole owner of the site here after what happened at the last place. I would've liked to have seen ownership shared much more among the community from the start. Maybe we could've avoided being sold off to a random Swedish company.

Oct 27, 2017
So, in terms of EU General Data Protection Regulation where do we as users stand legally with our personal information (email included) being sold without consent?

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
Are users able to request all their posts and data be scrubbed from the site? If so, how would one go about this?

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know era had only one owner, that's surprising considering what made people create this forum at first place.

So, who runs ERA Discord?

Mar 18, 2020
Any objective (I.e. not entrenched in the community) observer from the party that paid 4 mil for Era will absolutely bring in new mods.

Unless they really do just plan to sell data to 3rd parties🤷🏻‍♂️

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
As an lgbt poster of the forum I don't feel comfortable in gaming circles except Resetera without seeing homophobia shit slinged at me.

However, this is so gross selling to a corporate entity that is already talking about extracting more profit out of a community that hosts a lot of vulnerable minority communities. And not even that, the owner was already a millionaire just from ad revenue, all whilst they have the gall to setup Era clear for no ads for maintenance costs? Am I fuck not using ad block now.

Pay your fucking mods.

They knew about the deal in advance, and a few have already posted in the thread. They don't seem bothered at all.

That doesnt stop it from being gross exploitation

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Are users able to request all their posts and data be scrubbed from the site? If so, how would one go about this?

This is a really interesting question, I don't think I ever saw that option, I've read about the ability to request a ban but it mentions that your post history will still remain. That would be a basic feature that any site should have ngl. Maybe something to discuss with our new overlords

Raffaello,_concilio_degli_dei_02.jpg

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So, in terms of EU General Data Protection Regulation where do we as users stand legally with our personal information (email included) being sold without consent?
Afaik the new corporate owner of ResetEra needs to ask for your opt-in consent before they access any of your current data (yes, that includes posts).

So if they get any access before that to the userbase then it's a big GDPR violation. The fact that they "own" your data rn might also be a violation already.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Also, dude couldn't even negotiate on behalf of his tech staff, the actual paid workers?? 😕
I'd imagine that the tech staff were freelancing rather than salaried (happy to be corrected, though) so it's not surprising that they aren't part of the sale. And I'd also imagine that the buyers will have their own tech staff to take over those responsibilities in any event.

Ah, hang on. You're banned so this reply is pointless.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Thanks. Been a part of this community since 2007, but all goods things have to come to an end eventually.

I don't know if that will change anything for you but one thing you can do with Tickets also is change your email address related to Era. To sub to Era you need an actual "Professional" address or an ISP one, but with a ticket you can change to any address you'd like.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people in here that have no clue how the real world works.

Anything that makes decent ad revenue will be sold eventually; hopefully things don't change too much around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.