• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
MOBA just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about ERA culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over ERA, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the members, after hearing about this, are not going to want to disable adblock, nor will they purchase ERA clear. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but MOBA has alienated an entire market with this move.

MOBA, publicly apologize and cancel the acquisition or you can kiss your business goodbye.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, after looking around at some of the other sites in the moba network I think there's probably a few changes to the user experience that we can maybe look forward to:

• Affiliate links on the bottom of every page
80DyM6j.jpg

This seems the most obvious considering they're on all of the network sites footers and the company themselves stated their desire to "grow traffic flows" and "extract synergies" between sites. Bjorn also spent much of his career in the SEO field so I'm sure setting up backlinks will be an early priority.

Given the problematic nature of many of these sites this creates a number of issues and a conflict with many of the communities ideals. It would be strange to impose a news or discussion boycott on Hogwarts Legacy for example while every page contains a link to MMO-Champion which considers any discussion of trans identity as a "forbidden topic". Similarly many of these sister sites are dedicated fan forums for Activision Blizzard properties.

• More obtrusive and aggressive advertising
All of these sites are loaded with ads and many of which are the more intrusive kind such as auto playing videos. I'm not sure how reliable the blocked elements counter on adblock is but it shows 20-30 elements blocked on the homepage for Era compared to 80-110 on all of hearthpwn, mmo-champion and mtg salvation.

Even using adblock doesn't entirely fix the problem as the advert space which has to be manually clicked to remove on each page load will just hold the empty unremovable bar obstructing the page view if blocked.

ZIR2ixT.png

• Era Clear being pushed harder
More disruptive ads gives a great inventive for removal and these sites seem big on their premium options, also including cosmetic badges so everyone can see who the premium users are on the forum!

td8nxKN.png

• Easier registration
All of these sites are designed to be easy to sign up to and quick to make your first post offering registration using social accounts. Something very incompatible with the current Resetera model of private e-mail registration only. It's a difficult sell to believe this would continue at a time when traffic is falling and those leaving seem to outnumber those joining.

More members means more posts for ads to exist on and more potential subscriptions being sold. They are a business after all.

B5NfQxs.png

$160 💀

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Where is he? It has been 55 hours now.

Why would he come back to this thread, or this forum he never participated on?

What satisfactory explanation for his cash-out and selling of us to an alt right profit chasing entity could he possibly conjure that would assuage people?

Of course he isn't coming back to explain, because the only explanation is "fuck you got mine," and his modus operandi was keeping his head down and quietly locking any thread about Era's ownership before it had more than a few posts. lol

Oct 25, 2017
So, after looking around at some of the other sites in the moba network I think there's probably a few changes to the user experience that we can maybe look forward to:

80DyM6j.jpg

This seems the most obvious considering they're on all of the network sites footers and the company themselves stated their desire to "grow traffic flows" and "extract synergies" between sites. Bjorn also spent much of his career in the SEO field so I'm sure setting up backlinks will be an early priority.

Given the problematic nature of many of these sites this creates a number of issues and a conflict with many of the communities ideals. It would be strange to impose a news or discussion boycott on Hogwarts Legacy for example while every page contains a link to MMO-Champion which considers any discussion of trans identity as a "forbidden topic". Similarly many of these sister sites are dedicated fan forums for Activision Blizzard properties.

• Easier registration
All of these sites are designed to be easy to sign up to and quick to make your first post offering registration using social accounts. Something very incompatible with the current Resetera model of private e-mail registration only. It's a difficult sell to believe this would continue at a time when traffic is falling and those leaving seem to outnumber those joining.

More members means more posts for ads to exist on and more potential subscriptions being sold. They are a business after all.

B5NfQxs.png
You get rid of the email requirement, cause a big influx of new users, many of whom will be bad actors (and can easily sign up a new account when banned), and you'll overwhelm the mod team, who will start quitting due to burn out. Then you replace them with your people, and now Era looks like some of those other hell sites that were linked in this thread.
tom-and-jerry-tom.gif

These next few months will be nothing if not interesting lol

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have adapted Cerium's farewell to the staff and community into an animated short for your viewing pleasure:

mario-yoshi.gif

Chariot

Oct 26, 2017
Hamburg
This forum needs a renewed focus and influx of new members, but I don't see where they would come from.
Absolutely. What gives a discussion board like this value is the discussions and in extension the people who post here. Mods managed to drive away communities that were part of the community starting from the GAF days and were adding value to this forum.

A lot has been lost and the less there is the faster it collapses.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

80DyM6j.jpg

• More obtrusive and aggressive advertising
All of these sites are loaded with ads and many of which are the more intrusive kind such as auto playing videos. I'm not sure how reliable the blocked elements counter on adblock is but it shows 20-30 elements blocked on the homepage for Era compared to 80-110 on all of hearthpwn, mmo-champion and mtg salvation.

Even using adblock doesn't entirely fix the problem as the advert space which has to be manually clicked to remove on each page load will just hold the empty unremovable bar obstructing the page view if blocked.

ZIR2ixT.png

• Era Clear being pushed harder
More disruptive ads gives a great inventive for removal and these sites seem big on their premium options, also including cosmetic badges so everyone can see who the premium users are on the forum!

td8nxKN.png

• Easier registration

B5NfQxs.png
Welp, this place sure is headed to nice place. :lol.

Calling it, the moment these registrations are opening up to anyone. We might be getting loads of instantly closed threads of people telling this place and its people to fuck off and that's probably when the staff will begin to leave, and what's left of the membership will probably stop visiting too.

I mean, just these affiliated links at the bottom of the page would give such a hypocritical vibe lmao.

Last edited:

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
Cosmetic badges... for which you can pay up to 160 dollars?

At least you become a prominent Legendary member!

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
I suggest you guys check out mmochampion foruns to see how much of a cesspit this place will become lmao

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I suggest you guys check out mmochampion foruns to see how much of a cesspit this place will become lmao

I mean we get an account suicide periodically already telling us how much of a cesspit this place is.

I hardly see increased interest in the site making it drastically different unless they just stop moderating it.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Why would he come back to this thread, or this forum he never participated on?

What satisfactory explanation for his cash-out and selling of us to an alt right profit chasing entity could he possibly conjure that would assuage people?

Of course he isn't coming back to explain, because the only explanation is "fuck you got mine," and his modus operandi was keeping his head down and quietly locking any thread about Era's ownership before it had more than a few posts. lol

I've looked into it over the past days. And honestly this. I've tried to ask the GM and some admins on if there was any effort from Cerium's side to keep the forum in the community's hands, but got no response on that. But then stating as the reason for the sale that the pressure of being the sole owner was too much is a bit weird to say the least.

Then having that sell-side broker in the mix, that already sold another website to MOBA Networks. And add to that, that there's still a million on the table that will get paid out at the end of the year. And it's not hard to see why the wording in the OP is the way it is. Need to keep the current team on to keep engagement at least stable or that last million is probably off the table.

Just diving into this, well diving, two google searches starting with "Resetera LLC" and it looks like Cerium always was well off. The irony of this entire thing is real.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People actually paid money to post on Era?

Mans was already making $700,000 per year owning Era and you want to throw more money at him?

laughing-pikachu.jpg

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People actually paid money to post on Era?

Mans was already making $700,000 per year owning Era and you want to throw more money at him?

laughing-pikachu.jpg
I believe the narrative was "To support the community you love." which today looks...pwahahahahaha!

I'm sorry for the poor souls who put money in here and I hope those who still do retract these subs ASAP.

qwerty999

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
comparing ResetERA to Facebook and portraying health issues as "a bit of stress" is off-base here.

another way you can demonstrate you care about the business is realizing that you're in no shape to run it, so you sell it to an entity that can.
So I took your comment into consideration...

I have adapted Cerium's farewell to the staff and community into an animated short for your viewing pleasure:

mario-yoshi.gif
But then I saw this...

I've looked into it over the past days. And honestly this. I've tried to ask the GM and some admins on if there was any effort from Cerium's side to keep the forum in the community's hands, but got no response on that. But then stating as the reason for the sale that the pressure of being the sole owner was too much is a bit weird to say the least.

Then having that sell-side broker in the mix, that already sold another website to MOBA Networks. And add to that, that there's still a million on the table that will get paid out at the end of the year. And it's not hard to see why the wording in the OP is the way it is. Need to keep the current team on to keep engagement at least stable or that last million is probably off the table.

Just diving into this, well diving, two google searches starting with "Resetera LLC" and it looks like Cerium always was well off. The irony of this entire thing is real.
And for some bizarre reason, can't help buy feel as if the forum sentiment is also this.

Cerium ain't no Zuckerberg.

Zuckerberg also does a better job of maintaining game communities. And he's been doing it since the age of 19.

Steve Jobs had health issues... And he still took it upon himself to run Apple.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Which is why I think the school/work/ISP e-mail requirement to sign-up here is one of the first things that's going to go. I'd be shocked if that requirement remains in place 6 months from now.
The current mods said no.

Iv'e always like Quarter To Three more stringent requirements. I think they required an essay at one time lol.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017

Iv'e always like Quarter To Three more stringent requirements. I think they required an essay at one time lol.
The current mods have zero say, though. That's the weird part. They got a handshake agreement when the corporation bought it for $4,500,000. And they wonder why people are skeptical and then they go, "Well! If that happens we leave!" and we go, "Wait what?!"

It's just hilarious.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Legend of Cerium: The Adventure of Grift
God of Grift
Metal Grift Cerium
Ceriumon: Let's Grift!
NEO The Grifter Ends With 4.5M

Last edited:

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017

Any assurances the mods are getting now from new management means nothing. They have no leverage if the new owners wants to open up registration to maximize engagement and traffic. You don't spend $4.5 million on an investment--make no mistake that is what ResetERA is to MOBA--and not be proactive with it.

Last edited:

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
The current mods have zero say, though. That's the weird part. They got a handshake agreement when the corporation bought it for $4,500,000. And they wonder why people are skeptical and then they go, "Well! If that happens we leave!" and we go, "Wait what?!"

It's just hilarious.

Look at this 85 pages thread, what is even the "WE" anymore!

Let say people leave, to where? with who? who own the new forum? there is no trust anymore?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017

Let say people leave, to where? with who? who own the new forum? there is no trust anymore?
And if people put their brains to this logic they would level themselves to thinking the new corp would do something to fracture and realize the community wouldn't split.

What do you want us to say? That the absolute power on this forum is the volunteers? No. That's no reasonable.

qwerty999

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

A lot of people have started migrating back to Neogaf... If only because Evilore was a lot more transparent in terms of how he dealt with others.

For starters... He didn't sell out his own people.

Looking at the Neogaf thread that talks about the Resetera sale... It seems as if Evilore has been doing his forum thing for "a while"... But Restera couldn't keep it together for even 4 years.

Ultimately... Neogaf has a successful track record.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I know it's been said bevore but it would be pretty funny if everyone leaves to another place bevore shit actually hits the fan here and MOBA get's an empty forum for their money.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

It's just hilarious.

It's obvious to anyone who's taken a passing look at the numbers that changes are going to come, and sooner than later.

Era was bought for 4.55m as a for-profit venture. Era's community, engagement, and profitability are stagnant at best -- downsliding at worst -- but even if they stayed the same as they are right now, it would take them, what, ~9 years to make back their investment, let alone profit, with Era's current earnings?

That's, uh, not something they're going to wait around for. That would not be a sensible investment strategy. Björn Mannerqvist, CEO of M.O.B.A. Network, is literally quoted as saying Era represents "great growth potential" and they have "significant opportunities to develop it."

What the staff says on this literally doesn't matter. The CEO is right there saying in the press release that changes are going to roll in to make this place profitable for them, and soon.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
A lot of people have started migrating back to Neogaf... If only because Evilore was a lot more transparent in terms of how he dealt with others.

For starters... He didn't sell out his own people.

Looking at the Neogaf thread that talks about the Resetera sale... It seems as if Evilore has been doing his forum thing for "a while"... But Restera couldn't keep it together for even 4 years.

Ultimately... Neogaf has a successful track record.

Some might and have, most seem to be going off to smaller communities to do their own thing.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I know it's been said bevore but it would be pretty funny if everyone leaves to another place bevore shit actually hits the fan here and MOBA get's an empty forum for their money.
Like, some people have legitimate grievances. MOBA owns sites that are very bigoted. Why would they not want to associate with a company like that? Would people not leave if Blizzard bought Resetera?

qwerty999

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's obvious to anyone who's taken a passing look at the numbers that changes are going to come, and sooner than later.

Era was bought for 4.55m as a for-profit venture. Era's community, engagement, and profitability are stagnant at best -- downsliding at worst -- but even if they stayed the same as they are right now, it would take them, what, ~9 years to make back their investment, let alone profit, with Era's current earnings?

That's, uh, not something they're going to wait around for. That would not be a sensible investment strategy. Björn Mannerqvist, CEO of M.O.B.A. Network, is literally quoted as saying Era represents "great growth potential" and they have "significant opportunities to develop it."

What the staff says on this literally doesn't matter. The CEO is right there saying in the press release that changes are going to roll in to make this place profitable for them, and soon.
Exactly... and anyone who stands in the way is going to get squashed / ousted.

I mean... look at Myspace... the site sold out to Rupert Murdoch... and whether people liked it or not... there were changes.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

Yeah, if someone fancies a quickish couple of million then set up a site 50/50 with a charitable trust ownership and try and tempt people.

Status
Not open for further replies.