• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Just to toss my 2c into the ring - I found out... I think last month? And I also didn't really care all that much. I didn't sign up to work for Cerium, let alone the new guys. I never thought of it in those terms, and I still don't. I signed up because I'm an idiot and I still love this ridiculous place and I wanted to help keep it up best I can. Like, just for context - I got the offer to join the mod team when I was sitting in my mom's hospice room waiting for her to pass. I'd been taking care of her for more than a decade, and it was going to be an immense change for me. And reading Era, participating in the community... it had helped keep me sane during an incredibly hard time in my life. Was never much good at socializing in person, made worse by having to rush home after school every day. GAF, and then Era, filled that gap. So, yeah, I got the PM, and I thought... it'd be nice to keep helping people, as best as I can. And in spite of it being extraordinarily stressful at times, I don't regret it.

So, no, I don't care about the money. It's just not a factor for me.

Thanks for posting your thoughts. You sound like a great person, and sorry to hear what you've gone through.

Just a question, but considering you are also a part of the admin team. Where is the distinction coming from between admins? Some hearing it months ago and you just hearing it last month? Isn't there one dialogue between all the admins/GM and Cerium?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for posting your thoughts. You sound like a great person, and sorry to hear what you've gone through.

Just a question, but considering you are also a part of the admin team. Where is the distinction coming from between admins? Some hearing it months ago and you just hearing it last month? Isn't there one dialogue between all the admins/GM and Cerium?
Nep is a much bigger deal than me :P

Nah, but I'm not sure. Don't really care much tbh, I had to go check and see when I got the PM.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that it wasn't a community effort. What is weird is this assumption that that implies community ownership.

Community efforts happen all the time, but property laws have yet to change.

Saying a person is wrong is now gaslighting them. Amazing.

Anyway, what specifically happened at Gaf is still pretty unlikely to happen here. Evilore was an egomaniac who couldn't take his narrative not being accepted at face value, and then didn't have the resources to handle the backlash. This isn't as likely to happen here because even if we assume the new owners are also egomaniacs, it's unlikely they're gonna make an account and participate here, and if they do, they are a corperation that can have mods that help with the backlash. So if that's what your worried about, fret not. Resetera can fall in a number of ways, but its unlikely however it happens, it will be a repeat of Gaf

Were you on every Discord at the time? Did you read every single post? Do you have perfect recall? I point out that others have the same memories, and yet you out right say that I'm definitively wrong. Good luck here. I think this is the post the broke the camel's back for me.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
This thread shouldn't have been locked: https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-...a-new-owners-and-affiliations-details.501402/

Members have a right to know and not all of them will plunge in this thread to find every little nasty details about this transaction. I get the self-preservation sense, but I'm making a legit point here I believe.
Yeah I don't understand this lock either. This thread is moving too fast and isn't the place for this discussion.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Is there not still a big-ass banner at the top of every page announcing this that you have to physically click an X on to remove it from your screen

Edit: I cannot type as fast as PlanetSmasher

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It's not that it wasn't a community effort. What is weird is this assumption that that implies community ownership.

Community efforts happen all the time, but property laws have yet to change.

Saying a person is wrong is now gaslighting them. Amazing.

Anyway, what specifically happened at Gaf is still pretty unlikely to happen here. Evilore was an egomaniac who couldn't take his narrative not being accepted at face value, and then didn't have the resources to handle the backlash. This isn't as likely to happen here because even if we assume the new owners are also egomaniacs, it's unlikely they're gonna make an account and participate here, and if they do, they are a corperation that can have mods that help with the backlash. So if that's what your worried about, fret not. Resetera can fall in a number of ways, but its unlikely however it happens, it will be a repeat of Gaf
Imagine being so technical you forget to see no one else sees as you do and a lot saw resetera as a community run (and in their minds owned).

Oct 27, 2017
This thread shouldn't have been locked: https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-...a-new-owners-and-affiliations-details.501402/

Members have a right to know and not all of them will plunge in this thread to find every little nasty details about this transaction. I get the self-preservation sense, but I'm making a legit point here I believe.
Yeah, that's a very unfortunate lock. The "don't discuss how the forums are run" rule has always been a disastrous idea that should've been left back at GAF, but this discussion goes to the very heart of the forum and should be seen by as many users as possible.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Lol so obvious that Cerium just took the payday and ran.

Even wilder that the thread discussing the issue in off topic was closed. That thread is what made me notice the sale occurred. Admins just want this to blow over asap.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Were you on every Discord at the time? Did you read every single post? Do you have perfect recall? I point out that others have the same memories, and yet you out right say that I'm definitively wrong. Good luck here. I think this is the post the broke the camel's back for me.
Want to know what's interesting to me here? Your defense of your argument isn't "I remember Cerium making a statement saying he would pass on ownership" or "Here's admins and mods saying the ownership would pass on to them". Those would be actual proofs supporting the idea that Resetera was promised to be the inheritance of the community.

What you're saying is "A lot of people thought this thing I'm saying". Assuming that's true, that's still not proof of anything. All you're actually saying is "A lot of people made the same erroneous assumption I made". A lot of people assuming something isn't proof of anything, it just means a lot of people were wrong the same way your are.

Imagine being so technical you forget to see no one else sees as you do and a lot saw resetera as a community run (and in their minds owned).
To this, I don't really know how to respond except to say objective reality exists outside the minds of people, even a group of people.

That a lot of people say they saw Resetera as community owned doesn't mean that's actually how it was. It's not being technical about it, it's reality and it doesn't conform just because a lot of people assume something is that way.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Seriously, this. You absolutely cannot have any sort of a different opinion or take on a significant number of topics here. The number of times I wanted to post something in a thread, but decided not to because I assumed it would maybe result in a ban for not going with the groupthink, is just too high to count. Then you factor in the inconsistent enforcement of the already vague rules and the already heavy-handed moderation and it's just not worth it. I simply don't even bother to post many times. And I can bet you that there are many people that feel this same way.
Why is it that the "different opinions" that will get people banned are always in topics centering on race, bigotry, equality, and sexual representation?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Is there not still a big-ass banner at the top of every page announcing this that you have to physically click an X on to remove it from your screen
There is.

Every member has been given ample heads up as to what's going on and every member is allowed to be in here discussing this as they see fit.

Trying to make extraneous threads in an attempt to create a bigger shitstorm for staff to clean up, the staff y'all claim to care for now, ain't about to happen.

Oct 26, 2017

Meh. It was going to split discussion from here. I think a thread about the owners should probably be discussed in the announcement about the new owners.

Lol so obvious that Cerium just took the payday and ran.

Even wilder that the thread discussing the issue in off topic was closed. That thread is what made me notice the sale occurred. Admins just want this to blow over asap.
People have got to stop making everything so cynical and nefarious. Admins have poured their hearts out in here and we still have people thinking they're shady as shit or something.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it that the "different opinions" that will get people banned are always in topics centering on race, bigotry, equality, and sexual representation?
Crazy how nature do that.

I think I'm not out of line when I say that there's definitely a dogpiling problem, but dogpiling won't doesn't get anybody banned unless they said something banworthy and the dogpile is just what brought it to our attention.

Oct 25, 2017
Want to know what's interesting to me here? Your defense of your argument isn't "I remember Cerium making a statement saying he would pass on ownership" or "Here's admins and mods saying the ownership would pass on to them". Those would be actual proofs supporting the idea that Resetera was promised to be the inheritance of the community.

What you're saying is "A lot of people thought this thing I'm saying". Assuming that's true, that's still not proof of anything. All you're actually saying is "A lot of people made the same erroneous assumption I made". A lot of people assuming something isn't proof of anything, it just means a lot of people were wrong the same way your are.

Once again, proof isn't possible since it was discussed in discord rooms that no longer exist. Once again, not saying that he would pass on ownership, but share ownership.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Nep is a much bigger deal than me :P

Nah, but I'm not sure. Don't really care much tbh, I had to go check and see when I got the PM.

Thanks for the answer!

Just stood out to me, just had no idea of the hierarchy among admins.

Just in general for the admins, has there been any contact between M.O.B.A and the team so far? Especially when they state things like this in the press release:

The operational team that runs ResetEra will continue to moderate and engage with the community and work with M.O.B.A. Network on future product development.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Meh. It was going to split discussion from here. I think a thread about the owners should probably be discussed in the announcement about the new owners.

People have got to stop making everything so cynical and nefarious. Admins have poured their hearts out in here and we still have people thinking they're shady as shit or something.
When the only way of knowing about this is some small banner at the top of the page about an "update on ownership" that actually leads to an 88 page thread that can't be found anywhere else? Yeah forgive me for thinking Cerium and others just wanted to sneak this announcement through.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
When the only way of knowing about this is some small banner at the top of the page about an "update on ownership" that actually leads to an 88 page thread that can't be found anywhere else? Yeah forgive me for thinking Cerium and others just wanted to sneak this announcement through.
And yet you managed to find the thread and participate.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the answer!

Just stood out to me, just had no idea of the hierarchy among admins.

Just in general for the admins, has there been any contact between M.O.B.A and the team so far? Especially when they state things like this in the press release:
Not as yet. It'll be nice to have more resources for stuff we want to try, though.
Considering that the thread has 88 pages of discussion, I'd say that we've done a godawful job of it, then.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

You have to manually click to close the banner. If you're just going to ignore it and then complain about not knowing where to find it, that's literally a problem you created.

Not everything is a conspiracy, for fuck's sake.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question to the staff: So who are the actual members that are going to curate the TOS now? MOBA Network is now the owner, but they are staying hands off supposedly.

There's effectively no active owner anymore (at this juncture). So who is making the rules?

Has MOBA Network contacted you and gave you any direction? I'm confused on who holds the power.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So one person got uber rich, fuck it. I just pray that it's not another situation like the previous site where the owner is secretly a big hypocrite, and when revealed and called out, didn't own up to any of it.

I'm not here for one person, I'm here for all of you guys. While I found I was way more active and had a better time on the previous site, it's nice still talking and seeing messages from familiar users.

(Group hug)

Love you all.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Once again, proof isn't possible since it was discussed in discord rooms that no longer exist. Once again, not saying that he would pass on ownership, but share ownership.
Okay, but I emphasize again, you're not telling me Cerium or admins said this, you're just telling me 'a lot of people' said they expected it. Even if that's true and you could bring back those discord rooms to prove it, a bunch of people assuming something isn't substantial evidence that's how that thing is or that it was even presented as that thing. It can just mean that they were making a bad assumption (not just bad as in it turns out to be untrue, but bad as in they had no cause for believing it in the first place)

Sep 20, 2021
Is there no way to pin this thread into each sub-forum so that it is more visible? The banner doesn't draw sufficent attention to itself.

It's important that all members are made aware of this discussion - particularly marginalised members (e.g. LGBQT) who may have concerns about MOBA Network.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
HOW CAN YOU BE SURE OF THAT?

sting-aew.gif

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Yes…because of the thread that was posted, and then almost immediately locked, in off topic
So you just closed the banner message about the change of ownership, and now you're complaining about it?

Meanwhile, enough people have actually read the banner that they've managed to generate an 89-page discussion about it. If the intention was to completely bury the announcement then you'd have to say that someone did a poor job of it.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Half a mill in profits per year, gatdamm, ResetEra should have been plated in gold with diamond sprinkles before Cerium left.

Why wasn't any of that cash poured back into ResetEra for all that good stuff we have been asking for for years:

Signatures

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is another microcosm of just how awful this community has gotten as of late. Not everything is a conspiracy, there isn't some secret plan or ulterior motive, Cerium set up ERA with others, bought out the others and now has had enough of running the site and sold it to a company that will stay hands off (hopefully)

The admin team is fine with this, the mods are fine with this. there's some weird thing from the users complaining that the mods dont get paid despite them not wanting to be? You are telling people that they are being taken advantage of when they are telling you they aren't. you are trying to find victims where there are none. not every event is an opportunity to grandstand how moral you are!

Cerium has ultimately provided a somewhat safe space (in the context of the internet at wide) i think its fine for them to throw in the towel and get some compensation for that.

honestly i do hope that the bad faith cynical posters in here that are effectively just Jaq'ing off at this point do leave, it might improve this place.

Status
Not open for further replies.