• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
My parents always said we were middle class and I'm pretty confident that net assets they have something around that amount. Mind you we struggled at different points and my father will still beg for money because he's terrible with it. And obviously most of that value is in the house and land. I consider myself to be poor but according to that I'm middle class. That's what's wild to me.

There's a difference between "bad with money" and "poor".

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My parents always said we were middle class and I'm pretty confident that net assets they have something around that amount. Mind you we struggled at different points and my father will still beg for money because he's terrible with it. And obviously most of that value is in the house and land. I consider myself to be poor but according to that I'm middle class. That's what's wild to me.

You're absolutely disjointed from reality my friend.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
The only thing that has me scratching my head about all this are people bailing out to go to Discord. I get wanting to bail on a forum I really do. But abandoning ship because the previous owner sold the website to go to a billion dollar company's live chat service. Is a bit of a weird choice when every problem this site and it's new owners will have. Are infinitely worse on Discord due to the companies size.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
An example from one of the MOBA owned forums :

The SJW SU Fandom: Why Social Justice Warriors are Awful People :: League of Legends (LoL) Forum on MOBAFire

LoL forum thread "The SJW SU Fandom: Why Social Justice Warriors are Awful People". Share & discuss your favorite strategy guide or build on our League of Legends Forum!

So I'm curious, do you all want the MOBA corporate umbrella to step in and assert administrative control over the sites they own or not?

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I thought I read a post from you at some point saying you were from a rich family. Could be the wrong user tho. But yeah I can't imagine you would consider a situation you were born into as being "rich", lots of people don't. It's a blindness that we need to correct
I mean I did say that. I'll admit I was younger then and very stupid trying to flex on the internet. As I approach 30 my world view has changed and my grandfather is no longer alive and reality hits hard. At one point I lived with my Grandma and grandpa and she was very much loaded. But my parents did not get any of that when she passed. It was all donated in her will and honestly I'm good with that.
I don't consider 4.5 Million to be rich because I mean if it's locked up in equity it isn't tangible so to speak. I'm Cerium's case as pure cash sure, that's a lot. I don't think anyone in my family has ever had that much in straight cash. You're not gonna sell your house to get that cash on hand. Not to mention where I live and depending on what your job is that's really not a lot to have in total assets. And maybe I lack perspective but I mean here in my city depending on where you live, buy a house for 300,000 in 2010 and now you sell it for 1.5-2 million just because of where it is.

Oct 25, 2017
We really got a "what can a banana cost Michael, $10?" post in this thread. Wow.
xHa5pQ6.gif

ol1GAoB.png

rich people trying to pass as "middle class" is always so...
oh my god

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
In case you didn't realise...he is getting paid 4.5 million in hard cash.
That's not equity, that's cold hard cash.

And no 4.5 million of even equity is not middle class, my parents have like half of that or thereabouts and they managed to provide me and my siblings with a life that 99% of the people can't.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I did say that. I'll admit I was younger then and very stupid trying to flex on the internet. As I approach 30 my world view has changed and my grandfather is no longer alive and reality hits hard. At one point I lived with my Grandma and grandpa and she was very much loaded. But my parents did not get any of that when she passed. It was all donated in her will and honestly I'm good with that.
I don't consider 4.5 Million to be rich because I mean if it's locked up in equity it isn't tangible so to speak. I'm Cerium's case as pure cash sure, that's a lot. I don't think anyone in my family has ever had that much in straight cash. You're not gonna sell your house to get that cash on hand. Not to mention where I live and depending on what your job is that's really not a lot to have in total assets. And maybe I lack perspective but I mean here in my city depending on where you live, buy a house for 300,000 in 2010 and now you sell it for 1.5-2 million just because of where it is.

Bro stop digging please

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you flex about wealth you had no part in making? If you have 4.5 million of assets you are rich. The fact that your family has a house, cars, whatever other property completely paid off to the point of having 4.5 million dollars worth of assets puts you firmly in the 1 percent. I really don't understand how you can even come close to the conclusion you are in the middle

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
xHa5pQ6.gif

ol1GAoB.png

rich people trying to pass as "middle class" is always so...
So yeah that person is dead now. That was rich and that is no longer the case. And quite frankly I'd do whatever I had to to get them back. Because I was an absolute asshole back then literally just doing nothing, he'll that side of my family doesn't even acknowledge my immediate family any more. Like I said life comes fast. And yeah I said that shit I admit it. But that is not how it is. Shit my parents ask me for money to help pay their bills. Shit is sideways now.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
So yeah that person is dead now. That was rich and that is no longer the case. And quite frankly I'd do whatever I had to to get them back. Because I was an absolute asshole back then literally just doing nothing, he'll that side of my family doesn't even acknowledge my immediate family any more. Like I said life comes fast. And yeah I said that shit I admit it. But that is not how it is. Shit my parents ask me for money to help pay their bills. Shit is sideways now.
What bills are your parents struggling with at 4.5 million dollars of net worth

Oct 27, 2017
We all know things will change quickly the moment moderation makes another community enter meltdown mode and then those users report them to MOBA and they see the lowered traffic/activity.

I mean, from what I remember is not like this forum is in a better place than it was when it started which is pretty sad.

I've never witnessed or been part of an acquisition that doesn't begin or attempt to change things inside the first three months. So things will change.

As for a "meltdown" (not what I would call an upset community wanting their identities to be considered valid, but anyway) there wouldn't be that much lowered traffic, plenty of lurking goes on here and it makes its way into other sites' content.

But yeah, threads about race and identity and consoles still read as if it is day one of the forum, despite the supposed exoduses. The fostering-the-community thing, aside from strong individual contributors that have been mentioned in this thread, seems all but over: the community at large didn't support it enough from the beginning, and serious issues and poor attitudes towards groups of people could not be overcome - by people in charge and frequent posters alike. I don't really give a shit if "it's like that everywhere", that's not an excuse.

So what I would hope for, just to close the book on all this and move forward now that a sale has been completed, is that some portion of that good fortune would go to a particular few current or former staff members (no I'm not talking about me, heh) who were vilely harassed - in real life even - during their time on staff, and had their livelihoods directly impacted. The price they personally paid was too high for helping a "community forum" ultimately generate profits and execute a private sale, they deserve some recompense.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Alright, so now we're getting into some good irony because you've actually been doing exactly what deepwater has been saying. You (yes you and others) are going on a crusade for people who have no intention (so far) of starting or joining in on one. And in doing so, infantilizing them as you shout you know what's best for them. So you are pretending to care about them. Because you literally do not, otherwise you would not be trying to speak for them. In the entire course of the thread, YOU have not asked a SINGLE mod or admin what THEY want. Instead, you've centered yourself and all opinions you have to be the one truth and cannot fathom that others might think differently (which is funny considering you went on about gods and kings earlier ;) ).

Sure I want labor to be paid but if niggas wanna VOLUNTEER and do work for free I (important) do not care. They are adults who've entered into a mutual agreement that they won't be compensated for their work. I (important) am not going to take up arms to start a campaign THEY have no interest starting or participating in. Trying to compare this to game workers who entered a mutual agreement TO BE PAID and are not getting paid is so god damn goofy. This is the cop shit comparisons all over again. Yall be doin these pseudo intellectual arguments like you've said the smartest shit known to man.

I was wondering when you were going to rip that mask off lol, I knew it was lurking under the surface. So it comes down to you not really thinking people should be paid for the work they do here despite the site's now known success. Should have just said that instead of all this dancing around.

And yeah, as a whole, as I said, I don't think individual opinions matter much for a conversation like this. I believe that people should be paid for work they do. Period. You say I'm "infantilizing" then, which is a good encapsulation of your argument so far: vague and interesting sounding rhetoric that doesn't really say anything and is more of just an attempt to insult me over addressing anything being said. You gave up the game, though, and I managed to get you to say what you're trying to say despite all the performance. But I don't agree, I believe labor should be paid for their work, even if it's unpopular with a lot of people (even the workers in this case if that truly is the case). Just like I think unions are good even if most of my current co-workers do not.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hey MOBA 👏

Animated avatars
Signatures

monkeys-paw-paw.gif

To improve site functionality, we have disabled user avatars.

We are, however, enabling NFT purchases of both select avatars and signatures for use. This will ensure that the future stability of the site remains strong and guarantee unique user profiles for interested individuals.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Hecht is basically his avatar at this point. That's who I see myself talking to whenever I speak to him.

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
What bills are your parents struggling with at 4.5 million dollars of net worth
That net worth is in the house. Like it's the house. Specifically the mortgage they struggle with which leads to them struggling with the other bills like electricity. Not to make it personal but my mom wants out and she's had enough but my father keeps thinking putting leans on his house will buy him time to get his life straight on a fixed income and the man is 73. And honestly I was going to be just like him before grandma passed in 2013 and then Grandpa in 2020. Because again whatever money they had my parents didn't get. I've offered for my mother to come live with me but she refuses. It's a fucking mess thank god my job provides therapy.

And for the record. I am not wealthy. I barely make enough to afford my rent and utilities while also worrying about my mother. It's a side effect of where I live but I haven't had luck finding another roommate:

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
That net worth is in the house. Like it's the house. Specifically the mortgage they struggle with which leads to them struggling with the other bills like electricity. Not to make it personal but my mom wants out and she's had enough but my father keeps thinking putting leans on his house will buy him time to get his life straight on a fixed income and the man is 73. And honestly I was going to be just like him before grandma passed in 2013 and then Grandpa in 2020. Because again whatever money they had my parents didn't get. I've offered for my mother to come live with me but she refuses. It's a fucking mess thank god my job provides therapy.
If you're still paying a 4.5 million dollar house then you don't have 4.5 million dollars of raw assets. You're still paying the mortgage. If you have a fully paid off 4.5 million dollar asset then once again you are in the 1% and likely have other assets worth selling off as well

Sheiter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FYI net worth is assets (the house) minus liabilities (the mortgage) so a $4.5M house with a $4M outstanding mortgage is not a $4.5m net worth.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
If one could buy a house for 300K in 2010 (fully paid) merely 2 years after the 2008 recession recession then you weren't middle class.

Status
Not open for further replies.