• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Aww. Thats one silly thought down the drain! Makes sense that they'd be retired after abit though.
If you miss them that's kinda on you. Short of me sending out a mass PM, which would take hours and piss off literally every single person on the site, it's the best way of letting you all know about important changes.

I can't stop people from clicking shit off or ignoring it. At some point that's on you and no one else.

OldBoyGamer

Dec 11, 2017
Genuinely had no idea that era was making any money at all. Which I'm ok with btw. The bills need to be paid somehow.

But selling the site for $4.5M? Fuck me.
im shit at math. I wonder how you work out the value of each individual user?

- base value for just having an account
- multiplier value based on how much you posted on a monthly/weekly/daily basis.
- multiplier for those that paid money to help run the place

The whole thing feels really icky to me. You create a forum to break away from another one for ethical and idealogical reasons. Then you sell it a few years later for a fucking massive amount making you a millionaire. Doesn't sit right with me.

not sure if I'll keep my account. Don't want to make a knee jerk reaction. I do think if there was a mass walkout My mind would be swayed. not because I'm a sheep but I'm not sure how I feel about it. But if enough people felt used and taken advantage of, I think I'd understand that point of view and support a mass walkout.

We'll see how this whole shit goes down I guess.

Nell

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain to me why a decentralized/community driven forum is preferred over a forum with financial backing?

I am a 1/3 shareholder for a small non profit corporation, and the great thing about that is any profits generated don't get distributed to the shareholders, or single owner. A decentralized or community driven forum's primary purpose would not be to make money/turn a high profit margin.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's about time that people accept the fact that some people just are not interested in the site ownership, like at all. The people who do care but still somehow have missed this thread existence, have few excuses at this point.

People browse the forum in different ways, and there is literally no way for one thread to reach every single user, because people will always find a way to ignore shit.

Given the history of how this forum even started, I don't care nor do I think new ownership would want to change this place too much, we clearly don't mind moving.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
id argue the vast majority of people dont care solong as the owners dont start making things worse. and we will just have to deal with that if it happens.
This is basically how I felt. I couldn't care less who "owns" the site or that Cerium made a crap load of money. Mine main two concerns were whether or not the staff was going to stay the same and whether or not there would be any major changes to the rules.

Neither of those things are happening so I'm fine with all this.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I'm bitter to say the least. I was helping a paying 39$ a year, thinking it was for upgrade and service and have the site be free of outside influence.

And I learn someone made banks and flee with the money ?

Yeah. I'm cancelling my upgraded account

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm bitter to say the least. I was helping a paying 39$ a year, thinking it was for upgrade and service and have the site be free of outside influence.

And I learn someone made banks and flee with the money ?

Yeah. I'm cancelling my upgraded account

I'm sorta in that same boat. I appreciate not seeing ads but I'm sure there are better ways. I just canceled, actually.

Blackjaw

Nov 21, 2017
I go where ever the Lionel Mandrake review threads go

I mean, I don't hate the owner for moving us, kept us going for 4 years, then cashed out…good for him/her

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
People ignore stickied threads much more than banners, just look at the ones stickied in the moment. Not even close to 150 pages like this.

Of course people ignore it if the threads are about things that don't interest them, and I assure you most in ERA don't give a shit about literal slaves used to enable their hobbies.

Literal muslim slaves, which I imagine would put them even below the totem pole than usual in the mind of ResetEra members.

OldBoyGamer

Dec 11, 2017
I floated this earlier in the topic and earned this tag. Bidding for my account starts at 49 cents no reserve.

your entire account fir 49c? Mate. This is 2021. You need to learn a bit more about how we buy and sell shit today,

my posts are for sale on an individual basis.
- posts with no likes are free to read
- posts with 1 like are 1 pence
- 2-5 likes 5p
- 10+ likes 10p
- posts that have been quoted are 15p (they drive traffic so have more intrinsic value)
- posts that earned me a ban are 50p (these are the most valuable as they can be reused for social network negative reaction algorithms to drive the highest traffic).

joking aside. I'm really hoping there's a revolution here and someone starts a third breakout site. I'm too old to start a revolution myself but not too old to join in one..

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Will the staff start getting paid?
(obviously referring to the forward facing staff you do the brunt of the work on a message board. Moderation is a time consuming and difficult job, no one should work for free, especially for a multimillion dollar entity.)

No.

Shitty deal.

Last edited:

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't need to. My post is a stand alone comment.

We have several 🧵-marks about this. I'd say there's no privilege for anyone to just ignore those. If you had read those, you would know that by now - actually by one week ago - the mods are tired of explaining again and again that payment was not in any way an issue, not wanted and shouldn't be further raised as a concern in regards to this topic..

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
We have several 🧵-marks about this. I'd say there's no privilege for anyone to just ignore those. If you had read those, you would know that by now - actually by one week ago - the mods are tired of explaining again and again that payment was not in any way an issue, not wanted and shouldn't be further raised as a concern in regards to this topic..
I was making my opinion of the matter known. The mods opinions are their own.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I was making my opinion of the matter known. The mods opinions are their own.
Pretty sure the majority of Era posters agree with you. I certainly do. Translate this story in to a gaming context and the threads would be a landslide of hate for the millionaire CEO. Or any other business/workplace context really.

Oct 29, 2017
Count me as part of the tally of people who didn't see the banner or whatever it's called. Frankly, I just think it's somewhat messed up that no community discussion occurred prior to the sale, especially considering ostensibly "why" ResetEra was formed in the first place. Definitely lends credence to the fact that ResetEra was ultimately just an opportunity to capture a market segment rather than a meaningful response to what happened on the old board.

At the very least, someone from MOBA needs to come here and explain where they stand on relevant social issues like diversity, inclusion, and harassment/abuse ESPECIALLY considering how rampant some of this toxic behavior is in MOBA communities.

Frankly, I'm pretty disgusted at how this was handled and would be pretty okay with leaving.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Who is the Era community? Like, who are y'all talking about exactly?

LOL - y'all know what I'm implying with this. And why this particular plea falls on deaf ears.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea how about not backseat mod. Let people post their opinions, boo hoo.

Someone means to chime in after 150 (!) pages with something already well discussed and when people point it out and refer to the threadmarks he's still like "don't care". I see, the people that do their reading properly are surely at fault here. Such a weird take really.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017

Not true, but the threadmark was never updated with this clarification.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You seem to be confused. I asked the author of the Summary 1 threadmark to clarify that it was not a unanimous decison by the staff. It still hasn't been updated.

I'd go with what is available and there clearly is something available. By now we probably would've heard something different I guess. The summaries alone are definitely well written enough to read the room.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
One of the crazy things I just noticed is that after year 1, we had 41k members, and in the 3 years since that we've only added another 13k, to take us to 54k

That's a huge migration, and since then we've only added to that with another 4k members a year

I only know this because I've made the Era anniversary threads and have made a note of the members and post count each year, and I just updated the current thread with the newest info

I trust the mods when they say the site won't be opened up for registration with any old email, but it does make me curious as to how MOBA thinks they can grow the site/user numbers

I guess they'll push the site in other ways to try and increase legitimate sign ups?

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
One of the crazy things I just noticed is that after year 1, we had 41k members, and in the 3 years since that we've only added another 13k, to take us to 54k

That's a huge migration, and since then we've only added to that with another 4k members a year

I only know this because I've made the Era anniversary threads and have made a note of the members and post count each year, and I just updated the current thread with the newest info

I trust the mods when they say the site won't be opened up for registration with any old email, but it does make me curious as to how MOBA thinks they can grow the site/user numbers

I guess they'll push the site in other ways to try and increase legitimate sign ups?

Interestingly enough going by user numbers there have been over 100,000 accounts made so far. The first half of July this year that number hit 100k. As of this month there's roughly 104k/105k-ish accounts.

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

I don't understand why the total member count says 54k on the front page as the latest person to join is member #104376?

edit: beaten^

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Interestingly enough going by user numbers there have been over 100,000 accounts made so far. The first half of July this year that number hit 100k. As of this month there's roughly 104k/105k-ish accounts.

I don't understand why the total member count says 54k on the front page as the latest person to join is member #104376?

edit: beaten^

Yeah I don't really understand that either

Maybe banned or user requested deleted accounts don't show in the front page number

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe banned or user requested deleted accounts don't show in the front page number

Completely my guess but I'd assume banned members (likely all non perm bans) count towards the current total while deleted accounts don't. Deleted accounts remove all account info but retain the user account number the account had when it was made so deleted accounts at minimum must not count towards the current member total.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017

Pretty sure it counts all of the rejected accounts we get too (I mean the larger number, they don't count on the front page number).

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I get it, capitalism, mods choose to do this voluntarily etc, but on the presumption Cerium has/will net the bulk if not all of that $4.5m, that sure is shitty, especially for a site that routinely espouses support for work ethics, equality, fairness, other liberal virtues etc.

The decent thing for Cerium to do would be to offer some sort of payment/bonus to each mod that helped during the 4 years. Having variable pay outs as per the time they've been a mod etc is fair too.

I would certainly also be interested to learn the details or circumstances around how the shares from the previous Era shareholders/co-owners were purchased or acquired by Cerium, and also for how much.

Last edited:

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Count me as part of the tally of people who didn't see the banner or whatever it's called. Frankly, I just think it's somewhat messed up that no community discussion occurred prior to the sale, especially considering ostensibly "why" ResetEra was formed in the first place. Definitely lends credence to the fact that ResetEra was ultimately just an opportunity to capture a market segment rather than a meaningful response to what happened on the old board.

At the very least, someone from MOBA needs to come here and explain where they stand on relevant social issues like diversity, inclusion, and harassment/abuse ESPECIALLY considering how rampant some of this toxic behavior is in MOBA communities.

Frankly, I'm pretty disgusted at how this was handled and would be pretty okay with leaving.

Pretty much where I stand on this. The site was founded as a community effort (albeit only 0.1% actually "done" something to contribute to the creation and migration). So for one individual to hold the keys and just make off with $4.5m with no community input is absurd.

I, and imagine most of the community, thank Cerium for his efforts of taking us this far and the work he and others have put in - but this sale makes him look opportunistic who seized an opportunity for a pay day. He used the Gaf drama and community for his own benefit.

Whatever the mods public opinion on receiving payment has been covered and there's no point reiterating that. However their attitude to this entire thing has been very poor; I understand they're frustrated of going in circles explaining things over and over but they're basically just laughing at the community now. It's a complete and utter disregard and it isn't even holding a professional party line.

We as a community aren't owed anything, we're just a commodity and have zero say or importance to the team is how this comes across in this thread.

I'm not doom and gloom, they aren't suddenly going turn it into a far-right forum, have 20 pop ups, or whatever ludicrous thing other people have suggested - but the sheer fact it isn't "one of us" owning and operating the site is a kick in the teeth of the community.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I get it, capitalism, mods choose to do this voluntarily etc, but on the presumption Cerium has/will net the bulk if not all of that $4.5m, it sure is shitty, especially for a site that routinely espouses support for work ethics, equality, fairness, other liberal virtues etc.

The decent thing for Cerium to do would be to offer some sort of payment/bonus to each mod that helped during the 4 years. Having variable pay outs as per the time they've been a mod etc is fair too.

I would certainly also be interested to learn the details or circumstances around how the shares from the previous Era shareholders/co-owners were purchased or acquired by Cerium, and also for how much.

Wasn't it operated by an LLC where Cerium always held majority (sole?) ownership?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't it operated by an LLC where Cerium always held majority (sole?) ownership?

Initially he did not have sole ownership, rather by his own words he bought out the shares of the other 'retiring' shareholders/co-owners. The exact circumstances, details and amounts however were not disclosed.

Cerium said:
To clarify: When we first started the site, a couple other people had ownership shares. As the other founders retired, those who had shares sold them to me, until I ended up as the last one standing.

www.resetera.com

Who owns ResetEra?

I might be crazy, but I seem to remember Daniel Ahmed tweet a while ago that he no longer operated ResetEra, and that the same was true with the other founders. This got me curious, who now owns/operates the site at a business level (not moderation level)? I've looked through the FAQ, Help, and...

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I mod another Xenforo forum, banned members (both permanent and temporary) are not included in the total member count on the front page.

Status
Not open for further replies.