• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I've been batting this idea around for a while now, so hopefully this kind of thread isn't breaking any ERA rules that I somehow overlooked.

Throughout this last year with COVID ravaging most of the world, my wife and I have been fortunate enough to keep both of our jobs while working remotely with our son at home. I recognize that for many that has certainly not been the case, and for most people here when income takes a hit there will be game purchases that simply have to wait. I've certainly been there in the past, myself, and I think I'd like to "pay it forward" so to speak by purchasing a game that I love for someone here on ERA who wants it but hasn't been able to justify purchasing it just yet.

First, however, I'd like to distinguish what this thread is from something like the GiftBot Giveaway Thread.

That thread is great for pretty much all giveaways across a whole wide variety of products, both physical and digital. Most of the time those end up being extra product keys that people don't want, for example. I'd like for this thread to be:

Purchasing a game that you're passionate about for a fellow ERA member who has been wanting to play it.

This has a two-fold benefit of gifting a game to someone while also supporting the game itself from a one-more-sale standpoint.

If you're familiar with my posts/threads over the last five months or so, then the game that I'll be purchasing for the giveaway winner should come as no surprise...

13-sentinels-aegis-rim-is-vanillawares-boldest-game-yet.jpg

13 Sentinels is a game that should be experienced by as many people as possible. Here's to one more potential fan.

Whoever wins my giveaway will be receiving a physical copy of 13 Sentinels in the mail, presumably including the small artbook that has been packed in with these first-run editions. After the giveaway ends and a winner is selected, simply PM me your address so I can ship it to you ASAP. I'll also include the tracking number so you can watch it slowly make its way to your home. That's what I do, anyway.

You'll find my giveaway in its own post below. Otherwise, here are some general suggestions for those of you who'd like to contribute to this thread:
  • You don't have to do a GiftBot Giveaway. Feel free to simply offer up a game first-come-first-served or via any other means. The mechanism isn't important, but GiftBot does help streamline things.
  • Try to limit your gifts to games rather than accessories, hardware, or other gaming-adjacent products. Can be digital or physical.
  • While it's fine to give away an extra copy of a game that you have on hand, try to pick a game that you like and want to share with someone who hasn't played it yet rather than offloading games that you don't like or want.
  • This is a honor system thing, but please only enter giveaways for games that you have been wanting to play but hadn't purchased for yourself. This is about helping people play games that they want, not blindly entering every giveaway to get free stuff.

1 gift from ScOULaris

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from ScOULaris ScOULaris!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

ScOULaris said:
81tP8Sv-7AL._SL1500_.jpg

Considering the niche appeal of 13 Sentinels, I've been wanting to gift a copy of this game since it released. I'm happy to give one more sale to Vanillaware/Atlus for this remarkable game while also hopefully giving some lucky ERA member a gaming experience that they'll never forget. It's so good!

I've made this a 12-hour raffle in the hopes that mostly people who really want to play 13 Sentinels will enter it right away.

PS - To the winner, please chime back in with your impressions/thoughts on the game either in there or in the official thread after you've played some of it.

These are our awesome prizes:

• PlayStation 4 (USA) PlayStation 4 (USA): 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (New Physical Copy) - Won by WaluigiTime WaluigiTime (30 entries)

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Great idea for a thread, OP. I'm still waiting for the JP version of 13 Sentinels to become affordable for me, but I just wanted to say this is cool.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
This is a really cool idea ScOULaris, thanks!
I've entered the giveaway and will start one of my own too for one of my favourite feel good games of all time.

1 gift from ShadowAUS

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from ShadowAUS ShadowAUS!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

ShadowAUS said:
(Note: Steam key can't be activated in Japan, sorry!)

So... Ni No Kuni. This game has forever been one of the games I keep around as a feel good pick me up, and considering the last 12 or so months I think a lot of people could use some more of that. It's a very classically designed JRPG with fun but fairly simple gameplay, a feel good coming of age story, gorgeous visuals and animation, and a fantastic OST thanks in large part to Joe Hisaishi.

If you like fairly traditional JRPGs and have never played NnK and want a relaxing, feel good romp than I think there's a good chance you will love this game!

H2x1_NSwitch_NiNoKuriWrathOfTheWhiteWitch_enGB_image1600w.jpg

• Steam Steam: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Remastered - Won by KushalaDaora KushalaDaora (21 entries)

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really cool idea ScOULaris, thanks!
I've entered the giveaway and will start one of my own too for one of my favourite feel good games of all time.
Ey! 😄

Thanks for "paying it forward," as it were. I wasn't sure if many people would realistically be able to contribute giveaways to this thread, so I'm happy that it didn't just fizzle out with me being the only one to start a giveaway.

Good choice, too. I already have Ni no Kuni, but best of luck to whomever wins that one. Hopefully it's someone who has been wanting to try it but just hasn't pulled the trigger all this time for whatever reason.

1 gift from CupOfDoom

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from CupOfDoom CupOfDoom!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

CupOfDoom said:
Concrete Jungle is city builder themed deck builder that, is legit one of my favorite indie games. I'm not entirely sure how to describe the gameplay without writing an essay so, I'll just leave a link to the steam page and add, that there is a pretty fun campaign mode but, I've had way more fun in versus mode where by you are doing a form of competitive city building. The ai is also fun to play against, if like me, you tend to play most games singleplayer.

ss_c1b11b873939faff34ae58a261bb0ac07b8b3360.600x338.jpg

• Steam Steam: Concrete Jungle - Won by Gassy_N0va Gassy_N0va (11 entries)

1 gift from maximumzero

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from maximumzero maximumzero!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

maximumzero said:
OWOl1bm.png

If you're one of the handful of folks out there without a copy of the original Half-Life in your Steam account, here's your chance to add it to your library. I don't have a code to post here so I'll need to send it your way via a Steam trade. If you win the giveaway, I'll contact you to set up the trade.

Thanks and good luck!

• Steam Steam: Half-Life - Won by JustJavi JustJavi (13 entries)

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
"No junior members", is that how you meant it, OP?
I believe that was the default, but it seemed like the right call to me at the time since only like really new members are Juniors on here, right? That said, I'd be happy to change it now, but it looks like I can't edit a giveaway once it has been posted.

Neobunch

Nov 21, 2017
I believe that was the default, but it seemed like the right call to me at the time since only like really new members are Juniors on here, right? That said, I'd be happy to change it now, but it looks like I can't edit a giveaway once it has been posted.

I would have thought so as well, but the raffle would not let me participate, and I've been here since the beginning. I don't mind that I can't participate, but I actually found this idea to be genuinely inspiring (was already thinking on which game I would want to give away), and thinking that it could just fade silently away because only a fraction of people can participate is a bummer of a thought.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I would have thought so as well, but the raffle would not let me participate, and I've been here since the beginning. I don't mind that I can't participate, but I actually found this idea to be genuinely inspiring (was already thinking on which game I would want to give away), and thinking that it could just fade silently away because only a fraction of people can participate is a bummer of a thought.
When you make your giveaway you can open it up to everyone. Just keep in mind that you apparently can't edit your giveaway's parameters once it has been posted.

Sounds like you shouldn't be a Junior, though. Maybe you should open up a ticket?

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
When you make your giveaway you can open it up to everyone. Just keep in mind that you apparently can't edit your giveaway's parameters once it has been posted.

Sounds like you shouldn't be a Junior, though. Maybe you should open up a ticket?
FYI your account is in junior phase if you have less than 300 posts (which would be why for you Neobunch) and/or are younger than 90 days.

VZ_Blade

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome thread idea OP! I think encouraging the gift givers to share why they choose the game they are giving away can allow this thread to further separate itself from the giveaway thread.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you ShadowAUS for Ni No Kuni !

After loving Dragon Quest XI, despite being fallen off the genre in recent years, looking forward to playing what looks like another classic, simple, feel good and whimsical JRPG.

🥰

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Thank you ShadowAUS for Ni No Kuni !

After loving Dragon Quest XI, despite being fallen off the genre in recent years, looking forward to playing what looks like another classic, simple, feel good and whimsical JRPG.

🥰
Congratulations! And you're more than welcome~
I very much hope you enjoy it, and let me know if you have any issues redeeming it on steam ❣️
Also, if you get a chance whenever you get around to playing, and/or finishing it - let us know what you think~

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
Dunno why but this thread made me emotional. As someone who's currently unemployed and trying to make monthly assistance stretch I know the feeling of looking at thing I took for granted like new game releases and feeling a bit bummed out. The reality is that between food and shelter there isn't much left for "frivolous" interests like gaming.

But with lockdowns, social isolation, no gym, lack of friends and emotional intimacy, cold weather and a creeping dose of agoraphobia having fun with a game can be therapeutic. For example the original OoT helped me when I quit drugs and drinking.

Anyways this a great thread. One day I hope I can participate. Much love to you guys giving games away. ❤️

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno why but this thread made me emotional. As someone who's currently unemployed and trying to make monthly assistance stretch I know the feeling of looking at thing I took for granted like new game releases and feeling a bit bummed out. The reality is that between food and shelter there isn't much left for "frivolous" interests like gaming.

But with lockdowns, social isolation, no gym, lack of friends and emotional intimacy, cold weather and a creeping dose of agoraphobia having fun with a game can be therapeutic. For example the original OoT helped me when I quit drugs and drinking.

Anyways this a great thread. One day I hope I can participate. Much love to you guys giving games away. ❤
I hear ya. I've definitely been there myself, and while games certainly are luxury purchases it definitely sucks when you have to postpone playing ones that you've been anticipating due to financial constraints.

I also just really wanted to do my part to help one more person play 13 Sentinels because I friggin' love that game. 😁

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
I hear ya. I've definitely been there myself, and while games certainly are luxury purchases it definitely sucks when you have to postpone playing ones that you've been anticipating due to financial constraints.

I also just really wanted to do my part to help one more person play 13 Sentinels because I friggin' love that game. 😁

Haha either way still a great thing.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Great idea, OP. Sometimes I'll get lucky with deals & if I have the money and luck to score a 2nd copy, instead of selling it, I'll do a giveaway (I did this for Xenoblade on Switch when Walmart had it on clearance) as a means to give back & help someone who missed out/couldn't afford it, but also feeling like I should do it outside of the giveaway thread.

My budget is non existent due to unemployment not paying me for 6 weeks worth, but maybe in the future I can do something after the stimulus & UI.

1 gift from CannonFodder52

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from CannonFodder52 CannonFodder52!

CannonFodder52 said:
Killer7boxnew.jpg

My goat. The Steam port is great too.

Killer7-steam.png
killer7.original.jpg

• Steam Steam: Killer7 - Won by Xagarath Xagarath (28 entries)

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to WaluigiTime for winning my 13 Sentinels giveaway! Please share your impressions of the game after you've gotten a chance to play it. I'm something of a 13S evangelist, so nothing pleases me more than seeing people come into the OT to gush about it after having picked it up on recommendation from fans like me on ERA. I hope you enjoy it.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is an awesome idea. I definitely want to contribute once I figure out how giveaways work on here haha.

1 gift from Viale

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Viale Viale!

Viale said:
header.jpg

Steam Link

One of the all time greats in terms of VNs and my personal favorite story in general. I've first played the game a few years ago now, but I still think about it regularly as a one of the pieces of media that had the biggest impact on me. It's such a treasure of a game that I hope someone else can give it a chance and enjoy it as much as I did.

Note: I couldn't find a key reseller for the game, and when I thought I had, they gave me a link to a site called plyxa instead which seems weird, but quick research seems to imply it's fine. If the winner is uncomfortable with it, I'm okay with gifting them the game through steam instead.

• Steam Steam: The House in Fata Morgana - Won by Starlatine Starlatine (18 entries)

4 gifts from ShadowAUS

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 4 gifts from ShadowAUS ShadowAUS!

ShadowAUS said:
So here's another one. These are going to be four spare Humble Monthly keys, but they're keys for games that I already own, and already adore and want more people to experience.

Yakuza Kiwami 2
(I'm not completely sure on the regions for this code so let me know if it doesn't work, and I'll sort something out!)

What can be said about the Yakuza series that hasn't already been said before. This is the remake of the 2nd Yakuza game, which was the first of the Yakuza's I ever played, and still holds the closest place to my heart.
Whilst there are two games that precede 2 (Yakuza, and Yakuza 0) I personally know several people that started with 2, and the remake of it so if you've ever wondered what the whole Yakuza thing was all about and wanted to give it a shot - now's your chance!

20190501211019_1-100795288-large.jpg

Imperator Rome (Deluxe Edition)
(I'm not completely sure on the regions for this code so let me know if it doesn't work, and I'll sort something out!)

Ah Paradox - so this is a more niche one than a couple of the others. Do you like board games? Do you like board game like video games with a significant amount more complexity? Do you like the Roman Republic era of history?
Well boy howdy do I have a game for you!
On a more serious note, on release this game was a mess - it's actually one of my bigger disappointments in my gaming history, but PDX have really stuck with it and with the recent release of 2.0, IR has become a much different and much improved beast. I know that a lot of fans of grand strategy stayed away from this game due to it's reception at release, but you owe it to yourself to give it a shot now with all of it's many, many patches and reworks. If you've never tried a grand strategy game before, this wouldn't be a bad place to start considering that in my opinion, with the recent 2.0 rework, this has become one of the best games in the genre.

capsule_616x353.jpg

(It's really hard to find a sexy picture of a grand strategy game xD)

Pathologic 2
(Supplied as a Humble Gift link)

Hoo boy. This game. So I played the original release of Pathologic back when I was about 12 or 13, and I won't lie - I understood none of it - but it was the first game that ever showed me that games could be more than just entertainment, they could evoke the same feelings, and thoughts in me that art could. I don't really want to explain any more about this game as it's good to go in as blind as possible, but if you've ever heard about Pathologic and always wondered what that whole thing was about then please give it a shot. Also do note that Pathologic 2 is a reimagining of the original and not a straight sequel, so there's no need to play the original to experience this.

11307b2xGukjBgUo9tAPjO5PyLbAB0tJrXUcF-xX4ksvELXEmgVa9xmZ0i5XjX3XhtYkh-WnkZEKZ73jKZzOt1wI4XMqVT8h.jpg

Children of Morta
(Supplied as a Humble Gift link)

One of my favourite games of 2019. I've never been massive into rougelike-y dungeon crawlers, but this is the game that definitely got me into them more. It's very charming, very beautiful, with a su5rprisngly well realised narrative, and it's a tonne of fun to play. Whilst I thought it did overstay it's welcome by a few hours since the combat loop is fairly simple, it is still very much worth playing. It's also received a lot of post-release support in the way of several free updates of which more are to come, and newly released paid charity DLC and, plans for another large DLC in the coming year or so.

01.png

• Steam Steam: Yakuza Kiwami 2 - Won by Cels Cels (19 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Imperator Rome Deluxe Edition - Won by MikePT MikePT (9 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Pathologic 2 - Won by Spamlynguist Spamlynguist (13 entries)
  • Steam Steam: Children of Morta - Won by NCartwright15 NCartwright15 (17 entries)

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
thanks ShadowAUS for the yakuza 2 remake, however the key has already been activated by a different steam account, no worries though

2 gifts from Cels

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018
This giveaway has unfortunately been cancelled.

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 2 gifts from Cels Cels!

Cels said:
Dead Space 2 is one of my favorite games ever and is in my opinion the best of the 3 games. It's a shame the series is pretty much dead now. I platted it on PS3, which requires a hardcore run, where you can only save the game 3x. I did beat it again on PC, but did not go through the hardcore ordeal. I hope the winner enjoys it as much as I did. Unfortunately, the Severed DLC is not available on PC, only on console.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is one of those somewhat forgotten indie games that came out close at the end of the PS360 era. It is not a multiplayer game (well, on Switch it is) and you control two brothers with your two joysticks. The controls take some getting used to but it's a charming little game with a memorable story.

• Humble Bundle Humble Bundle: Dead Space 2 - Won by CannonFodder52 CannonFodder52 (1 entry)
  • Humble Bundle Humble Bundle: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thank for Killer 7, CannonFodder52 ! I've been wanting to play it for a while
Hey, I hope you enjoy it! I think it's the strongest of Suda's works and one of the more experimental and creative experiences I've had in the medium. All time favorite game overall too.

Personally, I think it plays best with a controller as the reload being a flick of the right stick is incredible satisfying and arcady. But I'm sure it's fine regardless.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Cels Ooh, good ones you've offered up there. I'm not going to enter, but it reminded me that I need to try Dead Space 2 sometime this year. I only ever played the original.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Cels
Thanks a ton for Dead Space 2! I'm actually a big fan of the first entry in the series and horror games, but I've never played either of the sequels, so I'm really excited to try this out.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Important PSA to anyone giving away a physical product to a winner in this thread:

I ordered my copy of 13 Sentinels from GameStop to be sent to the winner of my giveaway earlier in this thread, and it made it all the way to WaluigiTime 's house before being put back on the truck and flagged to be returned to sender.

It listed "addressee unknown" as the reason for this, which I can only assume is due to me simply putting WauligiTime as the recipient above the address. Now it's gonna be a huge pain in the ass for me to figure out how to correct this and get WaluigiTime his game and will surely involve waiting for GameStop to get their copy back before refunding me and letting me re-order it all over again.

Long story short, if you're sending someone a physical game via this thread simply put "Current Resident" as the recipient. According to Google that will ensure that it's delivered even if you don't have their real name.