• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
There's a ton of chars that don't fit into those groupings. It's no wonder Capcom barely ventures outside of those types, considering they're generally received not as favorably.
I mean, taste is subjective. However, there are definitely some interesting choices in the top 20. Things could have been SO much worse. I mean, some sickos even voted for Rufus.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom really messed up not putting Dudley in SFV. He was one of the most common characters I played against in SF4 online too.

If we can only have one boxer then drop Balrog for good and get our guy Dudley in there.

Also not surprised at all at Alex being so high up.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I approve. All my mains and other favorites are in the top 5. I'm pleasantly surprised Makoto and Dudley managed to be so high. I'm surprised Laura got so high too. Some of her criticisms are justified.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Not bad, Era. Still predictable! But I don't imagine Dudley makes top 5 at any other video game community. Not bad.

I'm surprised Laura got so high too.

Laura didn't get high enough.

If we can only have one boxer then drop Balrog for good and get our guy Dudley in there.

Relax. We can have two boxers and we can have more than seven black characters. Both are necessary, and this is just a character poll on an enthusiast forum.

Last edited:

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
There's a ton of chars that don't fit into those groupings. It's no wonder Capcom barely ventures outside of those types, considering they're generally received not as favorably.

I'll concede on the male characters (although I don't think there aren't too many archetypes left beyond cocky kid and goofy guy), but what female character on that list isn't a small girl or hot buxom lady?

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'll concede on the male characters (although I don't think there aren't too many archetypes left beyond cocky kid and goofy guy), but what female character on that list isn't a small girl or hot buxom lady?

No, the women all are. I just meant that there were a lot of chars that don't fit those categories, not that there were exceptions to all of them. There's a ton more men than women in SF. More varied female chars is something Capcom can improve the most on.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
When this thread started, I had a hunch you could get a pretty fun dream match Street Fighter by just taking the top 20 of whatever results we got and that would be the roster. Honestly, that looks on point, though a top 30 game would be amazing.

Also Dudley and Makoto ranking this high is fantastic and it was a failure on Capcom's part that these two didn't make it to SFV.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I am honestly shocked that Cammy made top 3. I was hoping for top 10, but top 3 is really amazing. I thought for sure Ken, Akuma, and Juri would beat her.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The top 30 is just SFV with Dudley, Makoto, Elena, and Sean added (three of whom were in SFIV). A pretty basic top 30, outside of Sean who has been missing since the 90s.

This post made me realise that Sean is actually the only character out of the top 30 to have not made it into SF4 and SF5. It's actually kinda crazy lol. Makes me wonder if I underesitmated how popular he is despite all those years being told he sucks across here and GAF.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This post made me realise that Sean is actually the only character out of the top 30 to have not made it into SF4 and SF5. It's actually kinda crazy lol. Makes me wonder if I underesitmated how popular he is despite all those years being told he sucks across here and GAF.

Sean has always gotten love in my circle, but my demographic is a minority. I suspect absence making the heart grow fonder is a factor here too tho.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sean has always gotten love in my circle, but my demographic is a minority. I suspect absence making the heart grow fonder is a factor here too tho.

Yeah that's more than likely the bigger factor. I've always found myself an outlier whenever I expressed my like for Sean but over the last 6-12 months or so I've seen a lot more mention of him which is great to see.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
tumblr_nlu8rofdCx1sfcq8ho1_400.gifv

Neilunik

Jan 23, 2018
Seeing Bison and Vega that high is upsetting.

Dudley and Makoto need to be in SF6 base roster.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
You know, half of the time when people tell you Sean sucks, it is only because they are ribbing you. It is like when people mention Dino Crisis being bad around Jawmuncher. It is just people showing their love in a weird, twisted way. I know my friends and I have always liked Sean. Landing the tackle is so incredibly sick, even if that move is complete and utter ass.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, half of the time when people tell you Sean sucks, it is only because they are ribbing you. It is like when people mention Dino Crisis being bad around Jawmuncher. It is just people showing their love in a weird, twisted way. I know my friends and I have always liked Sean. Landing the tackle is so incredibly sick, even if that move is complete and utter ass.

Oh yeah I'm aware that not all of it is legit dislike but I remember in my early days on GAF people would legit make fun of me for liking him lol. After a while I stopped really caring about it but yeah I always assumed that there was this general ambivalence towards but I'm glad to be proven wrong every now and then.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah I'm aware that not all of it is legit dislike but I remember in my early days on GAF people would legit make fun of me for liking him lol. After a while I stopped really caring about it but yeah I always assumed that there was this general ambivalence towards but I'm glad to be proven wrong every now and then.
I think people have opened their hearts up to characters who are a little more interesting. I know I used to catch flak for loving Dan back in the day (mainly on SRK, which was always filled with miserable FGC boomers), but these days Dan has a decent amount of fans. Seeing Dan nearly forty positions higher than Evil Ryu makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I want Elena in SF6. But I don't want her to play like her SF4 kit.

Elena was my main in 3S. But I just could not vibe with how she moved and played in 4.

Thank god DeeJay was there to keep me happy :)

DJ, DJ, DJ, DJ.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Sean is a cool shoto guy. Of course people grew to like him. Turn him into a 3 meter tall grappler with a pot belly, then let's see where his popularity goes.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I want Elena in SF6. But I don't want her to play like her SF4 kit.

Elena was my main in 3S. But I just could not vibe with how she moved and played in 4.

She was a better character in SFIV, mostly because of how dumb ultras and focus are, but she didn't feel as good as she does in 3S.

Elena's long pokes and shifty hurtboxes in a game where there is no universal parry or focus armor might be OP and I need it.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
She was a better character in SFIV, mostly because of how dumb ultras and focus are, but she didn't feel as good as she does in 3S.

Elena's long pokes and shifty hurtboxes in a game where there is no universal parry or focus armor might be OP and I need it.

O yeah, she was good in 4, for sure. I should had been on cloud 9, right? But I just didn't have fun using that version of her, withing the construct of how 4 played. I was like, sonavabitch!, internally, lol. Thems the breaks though. Had hella fun with DeeJay and Adon all those years though, so it was cool.

Also, since we all talking Sean. Sean is a dope design. And he was top tier in 2nd Impact. I used him in 2I some, for my dude in a gi, fix. Lots of people used him (and Akuma and Ibuki), during the 2I window

When they butchered him in 3S, I guess that flipped everybody on him, to think he was a joke.

I mean, I did see at the arcade. When somebody wanted to clone on somebody, they picked Sean.

I do hope he comes back in 6 as well. Give him a proper move kit.

Rankings Results Day 6 ~ 03
OP
OP

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SFCharacterPollResults6.png

03. Ryu - 220 points
04. Ken Masters - 219 points
05. Dudley - 194 points
06. Juri Han - 188 points
07. Makoto - 179 points
08. Sakura Kasugano - 176 points
09. Akuma - 149 points
10. Sagat - 110 points
11. C. Viper - 104 points
12. Ibuki - 99 points
13. Alex - 93 points
14. M. Bison - 88 points
15. Cody Travers - 85 points
16. Vega - 82 points
17. Poison - 80 points
18. Karin Kanzuki - 79 points
19. Elena - 71 points
20. Rose - 70 points
21. Menat - 68 points
23. Sean Matsuda - 56 points
23. Guile - 56 points
24. Urien - 55 points
26. Dan Hibiki - 50 points
26. Blanka - 50 points
30. Laura Matsuda - 49 points
30. Rashid - 49 points
30. Guy - 49 points
30. Zangief - 49 points
31. Akira Kazama - 40 points
33. G - 39 points
33. Fei Long - 39 points
34. Q - 37 points
35. Rainbow Mika - 36 points
36. Hugo Andore - 32 points
39. Charlie Nash - 30 points
39. Balrog - 30 points
39. E. Honda - 30 points
40. Dhalsim - 29 points
41. Yun Lee - 26 points
43. Hakan - 22 points
43. Rolento - 22 points
44. Abigail - 21 points
48. Zeku - 18 points
48. Oro - 18 points
48. Maki - 18 points
48. T. Hawk - 18 points
49. Adon - 17 points
50. Yang Lee - 15 points
52. Rufus - 14 points
52. Deejay - 14 points
54. Necro - 13 points
54. Gen - 13 points
57. Kolin - 12 points
57. El Fuerte - 12 points
57. Ingrid - 12 points
61. F.A.N.G. - 8 points
61. Seth - 8 points
61. Abel - 8 points
61. Sodom - 8 points
65. Twelve - 5 points
65. Remy - 5 points
65. Evil Ryu - 5 points
65. Birdie - 5 points
69. Lucia Morgan - 4 points
69. Ed - 4 points
69. Gill - 4 points
69. Shin Akuma - 4 points
70. Eagle - 3 points
74. Luke Sullivan - 2 points
74. Kage - 2 points
74. Necalli - 2 points
74. Decapre - 2points
77. Falke - 1 point
77. Oni - 1 point
77. Gouken - 1 point
81. Eleven - 0 points
81. Juli - 0 points
81. Juni - 0 points
81. Violent Ken - 0 points

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Ryu and Ken being one point apart really surprises me. If I swapped Ryu and Elena which I thought of doing they would have tied.

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
Ryu and Ken being one point apart really surprises me. If I swapped Ryu and Elena which I thought of doing they would have tied.

Ryu topping Ken only because he is the poster boy. Ken is the superior shoto out of the two 🔥

For a very split second I thought my joke was true as I skimmed the list but didn't took at the thumbnails. I couldn't find him. Lol

Also, thighs explains why Ibuki was so high - I thought I was the only who liked the character.

Ibuki is a weird case. In 3S her pants/thighs jiggle in some ways it looks like there is water in it. I don't remember the physics of them in IV and V though

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Ryu and Ken being one point apart is oddly fitting. I honestly expected Ken to be above Ryu, but I'm glad to see Mr. Street Fighter up there. You can't really have a Street Fighter or even a Marvel Vs. Whatever game without Ryu.

Speaking of crossovers, Ryu is a man who set out to punch every single fighter in all of fiction at this point, and he is succeeding. It is becoming difficult to see a character that has a high Ryu Number, as in how many links do you go through to get from Ryu to them. Bonus if you can do it with only fights.