HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still stuck with something near the beginning. Is there supposed to be notes out giving me hints to these 3 letter safe locks? Most of the map is blue now, and the ones that are red have no interactive documents lol.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
His footsteps relented when you stayed in a save room? I've never not heard his footsteps in any safe rooms I've been in since he appeared, even waiting in one for a half hour out of curiosity. He's always been less than a minute's stroll away from me at any given time.

Even when I'm running in the opposite direction from him, he'll hand his beer off to the nearest zombie and meet me head on from the other direction within a few minutes tops.
Yeah, I hide in the safe room with the photo developing stuff and eventually he either goes up the stairs and I stop hearing his steps or walks towards the main hall. Takes a while to stop him repeatedly walking up and down the stairs though

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So apparently you unlock an infinite rocket launcher and an infinite minigun if you S+ (Which means not using any bonus weapons) the game on hardcore. Somehow I get the feeling most people will never unlock them.

Oct 25, 2017
Mr.X also doesn't only react to gunshots. This is a lie. Even if you don't fire a single bullet he's there within seconds. He knows where you are and he's teleporting right around the corner or right behind the next door. It's so terrible...I'm surprised by these high scores.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mr.X also doesn't only react to gunshots. This is a lie. Even if you don't fire a single bullet he's there within seconds. He knows where you are and he's teleporting right around the corner or right behind the next door. It's so terrible...I'm surprised by these high scores.
He most certainly does not teleport. I've let him see me when he's on the third floor of the main hall and I'm on the first and he had to travel the entire distance of the RPD to reach me.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I wish the load screens waited for a button press to continue, I don't read fast enough to read all the text when installed on a SSD. Other then that, I can't believe how good the game is. Now bring on a remake of 3 with atleast the same quality.

aOlafsson

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat Leon A this morning and was booting up the game to play Claire B. Im getting this error on my pc when booting:
"This extra save data is not compatible and cannot be used"

I'm scared to start the game in case steam writes over my cloud save and I lose my Leon A progress. Anyone seen this before?

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017

He will also react to sounds made by enemies or if you run, all of those things brings him to you faster.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Is it normal that Claire has way less health points than Leon? I am on Claire B and after some hits she is already at danger. Playing on Standard.

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
He does not teleport. I've seen only one instance of him teleporting and that was for plot reasons. Outside of that, he patrols and goes to check loud noises from what I experienced

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
are the people complaining about Mr X playing on hardcore? He's stressful but I blew threw his part. It was fun.

I guess that doesn't bode well for a nemesis remake lol

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
I also wish this game had text when looking at things like bookshelves and desk like in the original.

Oct 28, 2017
Is it normal that Claire has way less health points than Leon? I am on Claire B and after some hits she is already at danger. Playing on Standard.

One hit for me from anything on Leon gets me down one health level. I think the only time I've ever seen myself not be brought down to the next level is when Mr X barely even scraped me with a swipe, and Leon just fell over.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
My personal tips for Mr X cos he was not annoying for me at all in the police station:

1. Making sure that before you run in to him for the first time that 80% of the station is unlocked (if you do everything and see everything then you will have most of the station accessible). I did everything I could physically do that didn't involve the later keys and that meant a fucking mountain of unlocked doors which are a lifesaver. If you're not the exploratory kind this will bite you in the ass as you'll have a lot less alternative routes to utilize and may end up doubling back on yourself and in to dead ends.
2. When running away from him, leverage the main hall and the library as respite spots. What I mean by that is if he's in those areas, take him in to the library on the first floor and get him in to using the ladder often. He's slow as fuck and once you're up or down a level bomb in to the main hall, go down/up stairs depending on your destination, through a few doors and you'll get a break from him for a while - or at least long enough to explore the spot you need to.
3. Always always always plan your next destination and its route in advance. I had to ensure that certain spots were a no-go for me (Licker areas) and because of number 1 on this list, I always had alternative routes. The only time that truly caught me out - though I survived - was the STARS corridor. I followed point 2, took him on a goose chase and mazy run and then got to the corridor without any problems and he was nowhere near me. I then successfully walked to the STARS office as the Licker was on the other end and got the magnum. However, the door goes in the corridor and the stomps started. What I did was wait a while and listen to the direction they were going in, fortunately he was going in the direction of the Licker so I bombed it out the other way avoiding both. Goose chase begins and I'm in to the next room I need to go in without him near me.

When you lose Mr X you do get a decent amount of time to do the shit you need. This ties back to planning your route our in advance. Take one room and destination at a time. You see a room you can now access? Make sure you've done what you can to make that route accessible. Corridor still has zombies? Use the adjoining rooms that let you cut those out. The offices are good examples on both wings.

If you're looking to play this seamlessly without relying on your map too much (menu hopping blah blah) then I get the challenges that will pose. Otherwise it's possible to make the experience super straightforward and comfortable for the most part.

I also acknowledge that a lot of the above is advanced planning before he even ever appears. We knew he's in the game and we knew he's tracking you like there's nothing else on this planet so I went in to it making sure I have all the items, rooms are cleared and doors are unlocked. Without advanced planning you can be in a real prickly situation and I suspect a lot of people are getting fucked over that way.

I took one room at a time, back to a safe spot, back to another new room, back to safe spot, etc. etc. and it made things easier using routes that have multiple ins and outs (and no Lickers for the most part, so I made sure the whole west side of the station upstairs and down was cleared out room-wise).

It is a lot of preparation and planning but that's the only way you truly make the experience manageable. Should that have to be the case ? Should you be allowed periods of respite? Should you be able to play it more seamlessly without having to jump in to a menu every single minute ? Maybe but I have fucking loved the experience whole-heartedly. Calls for patching him out or toning down his presence are a bit farfetched though.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
So apparently you unlock an infinite rocket launcher and an infinite minigun if you S+ (Which means not using any bonus weapons) the game on hardcore. Somehow I get the feeling most people will never unlock them.

Yeah I read about that some hours ago, but it was on GameFaqs boards, so I didn't know if it was bullshit or not, heh. Where'd you hear about that from? Curious that Powerpyx missed out on that.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure that firing a gun is a trigger for X to home in on you, and it feels he hovers around your general vicinity when you hole up in either the west or east side of the station, sort of like the alien in Alien: Isolation.

Oct 26, 2017
So is running the best way to get through Hardcore? Ammo is scarce on standard and I imagine it's gonna be even rarer in Hardcore.
Hardcore pretty much comes down to traffic flow mangement. You wanna kill zombies that are in corridors you need to go through often, for instance the room with police desks near the weapon locker. Clearing these rooms means is a long term investment in terms of resources, since you'll have to pass through here so many times wasting 1-3 bullets on sleeping zombies is worth it. Clearing these congested rooms means the Mr X+licker combo threat is non existent since you can safely walk through them now.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I have not encountered him yet, but it is unanimous that once he shows up, you cant explore shit, because you are always running around

It's definitely not unanimous. It's a few people that keep posting over and over. In A scenario with Claire he's barely an issue and shows up when practically all of the RPD has been explored.

You also can return to the RPD later on in the game and waltz around at your leisure.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I have not encountered him yet, but it is unanimous that once he shows up, you cant explore shit, because you are always running around
That's not unanimous at all. I had plenty of freedom to go around, solve puzzles, pick up items I'd missed. Wherever you heard that is flat out incorrect. You can easily put enough space between you and X to explore, if it was the way you claim, progress would be impossible.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I read about that some hours ago, but it was on GameFaqs boards, so I didn't know if it was bullshit or not, heh. Where'd you hear about that from? Curious that Powerpyx missed out on that.
I saw this screenshot. Although I suppose it could be bullshit.

infintie_weapons.PNG

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About 5 hours in and just reached the
East Wing Lab
. The game is great so far and has a good flow - the map design is phenomenal.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
Oh and I forgot, if you have flash grenades, never use them unless Mr X puts you in a dead end. Only ever use them for him - you shouldn't need them ever for any other enemy. You'll collect so much that they're easy get out of jail free cards and they stun him for a good while.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
are the people complaining about Mr X playing on hardcore? He's stressful but I blew threw his part. It was fun.

I guess that doesn't bode well for a nemesis remake lol
Likewise. I fucking love him. And he's honestly kind of cake compared to an enemy like the Drone of Alien: Isolation. He's extremely peristent but also very predictable. Since he's always seeking you he's always vulnerable to being lured; his constant presence is also constant intel. In other words, while it may be stressful, that you know he's always near is actually beneficial. His stomps might as well be a bell around his neck.

It also doesn't actually take that much ammo to down him on standard.

God, it does not bode well for a potential REmake 3 if people aren't digging this... Play A:I, you cowards.

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe its because what you sayin is nonsense, put on some headphones and you'll be able to hear him. He never teleports outside of intro scenes.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
I saw this screenshot. Although I suppose it could be bullshit.

infintie_weapons.PNG

Very cool (and yeah, agreed that it could be 'Shopped). With them not giving infinite ammo for all guns, I was hoping that they at least gave it for the heavies—make it so much more fun for when you wanna have a fuck-around playthrough where you're just murdering everything).

Oct 28, 2017
I love Nemesis in RE3 and to a lesser extent Jack in RE7 so I'm really looking forward to seeing how I feel about Mr X. I always felt Mr X in RE2 was super weak. I played RE3 before RE2 and he was so underwhelming and not a threat.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Mr X is single handedly ruining this game for me. I was enjoying so much up until the point he was introduced.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Likewise. I fucking love him. And he's honestly kind of cake compared to an enemy like the Drone of Alien: Isolation. He's extremely peristent but also very predictable. Since he's always seeking you he's always vulnerable to being lured; his constant presence is also constant intel for the player. It also doesn't actually take that much ammo to down him on standard.

God, it does not bode well for a potential REmake 3 if people aren't digging this... Play A:I, you cowards.
I didn't even try to take him down lol

I also noticed he doesn't follow you into rooms without multiple exits or large loops to run around in. He's only really bad in that one halfway.

Oct 28, 2017
I'd prefer if there were scripted scenarios where Mr X would appear, and you have the chance to beat him down. Once beaten, you can loot him, and leave him. Come back, body is gone, but he'll reappear at a specific point later. Maybe even after a timer.

Having him constantly trudging after you is a bit mad, especially when the corridors are so tight. Ammo is a real struggle.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Mr X is essential to the Resident Evil 2 experience. The sequences in which he is present are deliberate in their ominous, overbearing tension and feeling of being stalked. He's not a see-you-and-you-die situation. Be patient, listen to his footsteps, and plan your movements.

He's one of the most memorable aspects of the game and a staple of Resident Evil 2's increasingly subversive enemy types. He's supposed to make you anxious and tense just doing anything.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I'm still in the first Leon playthrough but I just got out of the police station, so I think I got through the Mr X part that seems to bother the most people. I don't really get the complaints. I was on the move constantly and never had a real problem with outrun Ning him lond enough for solving the few actual puzzles I had to do at this point in the game (I only had the bookshelves and the clock tower left and I don't think he follows you into the clock tower? ).
The many zombies were much more problematic than the Tyrant himself.
Nevertheless, I am dreading the B path and having to deal with him during the whole police station part (which I assume is how it plays out in the B path...)

Oct 28, 2017
Mr X is essential to the Resident Evil 2 experience. The sequences in which he is present are deliberate in their ominous, overbearing tension and feeling of being stalked. He's not a see-you-and-you-die situation. Be patient, listen to his footsteps, and plan your movements.

He's one of the most memorable aspects of the game and a staple of Resident Evil 2's increasingly subversive enemy types. He's supposed to make you anxious and tense just doing anything.
I just didn't like him when lickers showed up.