• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
We need a sticker on top of all RE2 threads that says: "It's been 20 years since RE2. 16 years since REmake. Stop trying to make Fixed Camera Angles and tank controls happen. They're not going to happen."

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Actually kind of fucked up the original soundtrack isn't just free with the base game. What they have going by default is the only bad thing about this game.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
LOOKS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD

I loved RE4 to death but never played RE2 and this is literally my dream come true!!! OMG RE7 UI as well!!!

Holy shit I can't handle this.

Guys was the original RE2 big? Is it at least longer than RE7? I can't wait to play the shit out of this game.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This looks amazing, can't wait to play it.

Seeing this makes me wish that Konami cared enough about Silent Hills to give them (at least the first and second one) this kind of treatment.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
If Capcom does Dino crisis, Breath of Fire and Darkstalkers some justice the next years they are number 1 in my eyes again. Finally Capcom is back on a roll.

Jcgamer60

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like a whole new experience. I will play this and the original back-to-back and decipher which I like better.

Thanks Capcom.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Seeing all of the footage and hearing a nervous, scared, first day on the job Leon Kennedy really makes me feel bad for the gigantic life changing mess the character had to endure during the entirety of resident evil 2.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
If Capcom does Dino crisis, Breath of Fire and Darkstalkers some justice the next years they are number 1 in my eyes again. Finally Capcom is back on a roll.
Think it's fair to say they have been back for a while now. They seem to be listening to their fans and it's paying serious dividends.

I never say that anyone has 'won E3', but lets be honest Capcom have won E3.

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Fix camera could work for like a 20 dollar title but no way would they do it for a full budget game.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Looks amazing, hope this is the series new direction from now on. Or remake RE3 lol.

Deleted member 11262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Where is the background music? That's a huge part of the experience and it's just not there for this Remake, or what?

Also: Why do doors close on their own so easily? They need to fix that shit...that looks like he is fighting with the door staying open ffs.
Other than that it looks pretty fucking phenomenal and I love how much they are changing up even in the beginning hour.

Oct 27, 2017
This is EASILY the game of the show.

- Something that wasn't even guaranteed to happen at this year's E3
- Announcement Trailer
- Trailer was actually stunning
- Trailer ended with A RELEASE DATE (which isn't insanely far off)
- A Playable demo was ready for E3

... All of this... in ONE.

That is something that a publisher does when they are extremely confident in their game. The game is reportedly done and has 6 or so months of polish before release.

That is absolutely insane. GOTS!

Agreed. This is how you do a reveal. I wish more games would be announced when they're this far along.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Fix camera could work for like a 20 dollar title but no way would they do it for a full budget game.
I think it would work for past fans, but it would seriously put off newcomers, which is likely why they didn't go with it. That's fair enough, they want it to sell. What's important here is that they have stressed it's a survival game and not a shooter. The notion that it wouldn't be tense without fixed camera angles is ridiculous though, games have moved on a lot in the 2 decades since this released. The things developers can do with surround sound and lighting nowadays is insane. The darkness of those locations being lit only with a flashlight bring a whole new type of tension to a familiar environment.

I hope it can run 60fps on base console also.
IIRC RE7 did but with some drops, I'd expect the same here.

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This is odd logic and it discounts the tremendous effort and budget that would go into creating 4k pre-rendered textures for a fixed camera game in this generation.

I'm not saying creating 4K backgrounds wouldn't be expensive.

I'm saying that nobody would buy a $60 game with prerendered backgrounds (at least not what capcom would consider satisfactory sales).

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Looks great. Kinda the feeling I had when I saw RE Remake for the first time. Like they nailed the feel but was updated and new at the same time.

I actually didn't watch too much because it's been a while since I played RE2 and want to keep it fresh as possible going on to this one.

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway
This is odd logic and it discounts the tremendous effort and budget that would go into creating 4k pre-rendered backgrounds for a fixed camera game in this generation.
It would be way cheaper to make when it comes to not having to make a 3D game engine with tons of visual realtime effects etc. Plus the camera angles lets you get away with not modelling everything.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Man, you guys are writing a lot of nonsense.. Like holy cow..

And that "it has been 20 years since the original and 16 since REmake" is stupid too.

People are asking for a remake of 2 for almost 16 years and they wanted one because the first remake was such a great game.
It weren't people that liked 4, 5 or 6 who started this. Never read anywhere something like: Man these OTS Controls are great, I wished they would remake the old games with those controls.

I like how this game looks, but I would have preferred it with the fixed cameras.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
The game looks fantastic, and I like that they didn't just gave us a REmake 2 with old controls and prerendered visuals. I also will accept changes in the game itself, I can still play the original if I want.
The game looks scary and survival enough, considering RE2 was already becoming more "action" than RE1.
Can't wait to play this next year!

Shozuki

Mar 5, 2018
Man this looks incredible. I don't see the need for tank controls or fixed cameras. The game clearly is retaining the survival aspects of the game and resource management - when you break it down that's Resident Evil in a nutshell. On a quick glance it looks to me like they've treated the remake with huge amounts of care and consideration and found a way to bring it to modern day.

I've gotta say, that RE engine looks incredible, between this and DMC5, Capcom have made E3 for me. 2019 is going to be epic!

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand

And that "it has been 20 years since the original and 16 since REmake" is stupid too.

People are asking for a remake of 2 for almost 16 years and they wanted one because the first remake was such a great game.
It weren't people that liked 4, 5 or 6 who started this. Never read anywhere something like: Man these OTS Controls are great, I wished they would remake the old games with those controls.

I like how this game looks, but I would have preferred it with the fixed cameras.

They didn't make game for fan game only but for new people too.

Hell,Mikami make OTS on RE 4 Because He Think Fixed Camera is Outdated.

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

Hardcore fans did, the general audience doesn't.

Capcom is expecting 2 million and sales and you're not going get there using a outdated camera angles at a 60 dollar price point.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland

If they remade it back then I'm sure it would have been similar to the first REmake, but the fact is it's a 2019 horror game not a 2002 horror game. The genre has advanced since then and they want to use modern techniques to create their atmosphere and horror. Judging by the footage it seems to me that they have succeeded.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
It makes me wonder why they changed direction of the series so much, OTS wasn't a bad thing, it was really good, but they threw out zombies and it became too political.

This is where it's at, and just proves that with the right story, atmosphere and gameplay style it doesn't matter about fixed cameras so much.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It makes me wonder why they changed direction of the series so much, OTS wasn't a bad thing, it was really good, but they threw out zombies and it became too political.

This is where it's at, and just proves that with the right story, atmosphere and gameplay style it doesn't matter about fixed cameras so much.
Many will probably argue with me, but IMO they were chasing the trend of western action games at the time and lost sight of what the fans loved about Resident Evil in the first place. The worst part was that the games they were trying to emulate were themselves inspired by Resident Evil 4.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Tank controls is something I can tolerate but I never really liked them.
This is remake for the modern age.

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway
I'm just saying. Fixed cameras aren't a sales killer.

I don't really know what's supposed to be so off putting about them anyways.
If they wanted to go down the fixed angles and pre-rendered route they should have done so a while back with some "Resident Evil Classic". Lower budget, lower price and just the right amount of visual upgrade to be a sort of Xbox Live Arcade type of game back in the 360/Ps3 era.

RE2 remake is aiming at a much broader audience and budget, it also needs to follow up on the quality bar set by RE7.

Fixed camera angles are tricky: either you let the character be controlled tank wise, allowing the player to easily keep running the right direction regardless of angle changes, or else you go 3D, and as such it gets confusing as you change and angle and are still holding the analogue stick in the direction the last angle had. Sure the fixed angles can look cinematic, but they are tricky to control, especially for a broader audience used to 3D games.

Toxa

Oct 28, 2017

ots ????

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018
There's elements that remind me of RE3.5, which is a good thing, the flashlight, excessive lighting an general atmosphere. I think they nailed it because it looks creepy as fu...