• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
I don't understand why some looks down on RE3 and calls it "Cash Grab".

The game is damn good and brought amazing things to the franchise and had one of the best campaigns and puzzles in the series and one of the most enjoyable gameplay mechanics in the classics.

Also the variety of locations in the game IS the best in RE games.

Azure Wanderer

Alt-Account
Jun 27, 2018

The game is damn good and brought amazing things to the franchise and had one of the best campaigns and puzzles in the series and one of the most enjoyable gameplay mechanics in the classics.

RE3 was a victim of the late 2000s internet Top 10 trend when everything was reduced to digestible bullet points for "smart points" and somehow became "The game that wasn't supposed to be RE3 and was made using 2 assets ergo an RE2 expansion pack".

It's like everybody who has played it got their mind ereased I swear.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California

When you just look at RE3 from a distance, it's easy to see it as a cash grab. It came out very quickly after 2, used the same engine, was shorter, was released during a period where Capcom was actually releasing a lot of cash grabs, and didn't take place after 2 despite being labeled as the third mainline game. Of course, when you play the game you can tell there was a lot of work put into it and it wasn't at all a cash grab like, say, some of the later Mega Man X games were.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
REmake 2 will be an even bigger success. What do you do then?

Also RE7 didn't sell as well as the third person action games. I think first person is done.

Good, they're generally too disorienting for me (also I like to see the character I'm playing as). It definitely can make a game more visceral and scary but at the cost of floatier controls IMO. I prefer 3rd person games myself but 1st person can be great if it's like Doom at 60fps, etc.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks, also is that only the PS1 release of RE3?
I'd like a CV remake that makes it much less of a chore to play and sorts out Steve. But 3 is the remake I would choose without thinking if I had to pick.
You're welcome!

Yea, according to what I read, that was only the PS1 release. I did find that RE3 on Gamecube sold less than 9 thousand copies in Japan. So I imagine the DC version maybe did around the same. Curious what it did in America.

I too would love a RE3 remake. It's too bad to read that some people here are down on that game. I thought it was fantastic. I also, wonder why Capcom hasn't released the Code Veronica remaster on the current gen consoles?

I feel like CV remake would definitely sell the least. So I don't know if they would remake it or not.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

I think it is insulting considering the quality of the game, all the things it added that wasn't in two and it actually unlike most actual cash grabs is a really good game.

You're welcome!

Yea, according to what I read, that was only the PS1 release. I did find that RE3 on Gamecube sold less than 9 thousand copies in Japan. So I imagine the DC version maybe did around the same. Curious what it did in America.

I too would love a RE3 remake. It's too bad to read that some people here are down on that game. I thought it was fantastic. I also, wonder why Capcom hasn't released the Code Veronica remaster on the current gen consoles?

I feel like CV remake would definitely sell the least. So I don't know if they would remake it or not.

Yeah CV needs a proper remaster on these consoles and PC this time to give it a fair shake to see if it would actually sell more than it did back then.
That's was actually why I asked how much it sold so I could see whether they would choose 3 or Code Veronica based on their sales.
Thanks again.

Oct 30, 2017
RE3 was a victim of the late 2000s internet Top 10 trend when everything was reduced to digestible bullet points for "smart points" and somehow became "The game that wasn't supposed to be RE3 and was made using 2 assets ergo an RE2 expansion pack".

It's like everybody who has played it got their mind ereased I swear.
I can totally see this being one of the main reasons.
When you just look at RE3 from a distance, it's easy to see it as a cash grab. It came out very quickly after 2, used the same engine, was shorter, was released during a period where Capcom was actually releasing a lot of cash grabs, and didn't take place after 2 despite being labeled as the third mainline game. Of course, when you play the game you can tell there was a lot of work put into it and it wasn't at all a cash grab like, say, some of the later Mega Man X games were.
The whole RE trilogy games on PS used the same engine + the main campaign in RE3 isn't much of a different than one main campaign in RE1 or RE2, the only difference here is one playable character + RE3 place took before and during and after RE2 and it ended Raccoon City Arc... it's as important as other main two games.

I think it is insulting considering the quality of the game, all the things it added that wasn't in two and it actually unlike most actual cash grabs is a really good game.
It's a true good sequel by all meanings.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
When you just look at RE3 from a distance, it's easy to see it as a cash grab. It came out very quickly after 2

RE3 came ~20 months after RE2 (January 1998 -> September 1999). RE2 came ~21 months after RE1 (March 1996 -> January 1998) and the production of the game was rebooted in the first quarter of 1997, after RE1.5 was eventually scrapped.

used the same engine

All PSX RE games used the same engine. And one could argue that RE3 introduced more new gameplay features than RE2 (more enemies on screen + two different enemy types being allowed in the same room, more zombies variety, destructable items in the environment, quick turn and dodges etc.).

The average time to beat RE2 main story (according to How long To Beat) is 5.5 hours.
The average time to beat RE3 main story (according to How Long To Beat) is 6.5 hours.

The trick is, RE2 has four scenarios that push you through the same locations, enemies, puzzles (with a slight difference between Leon's and Claire's scenarios) and story beats, and only differ here and there. RE3 replaced that with a single scenario with pseud-randomized puzzles / enemies locations and choose-your-path moments that can slightly alter the story, item locations and boss battles.

was released during a period where Capcom was actually releasing a lot of cash grabs,
Can't argue with that.

and didn't take place after 2 despite being labeled as the third mainline game.

It did take place after 2, at least the second half of the game did. I agree that it didn't move overall story forward, but it showed a different side to the Raccoon City incident and showed what eventually happened to the city (at the end of RE2 Raccoon City still exists as a city filled with zombies and monsters) and characters from previous games (the Epilogue files).

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I can totally see this being one of the main reasons.

The whole RE trilogy games on PS used the same engine + the main campaign in RE3 isn't much of a different than one main campaign in RE1 or RE2, the only difference here is one playable character + RE3 place took before and during and after RE2 and it ended Raccoon City Arc... it's as important as other main two games.

It's a true good sequel by all meanings.

This I agree with.

Also like to add to Mr_Zombie 's post the different scenarios that happen in 3 as a result of the choices you took like Nikolai either getting killing by the Nemesis or Nikolai making a bargain with Jill and escaping the city.
Killing Nemesis in the restaurant gets Carlos to be chilled and start flirting with Jill thinking she likes him for his Spanish accent.
If you go to the Gas station first or the Factory first you get different scenes and scenarios based on the route you went first of the 3 locations. Stuff like that gave the game excellent an replay-ability factor.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
This I agree with.

Also like to add to Mr_Zombie 's post the different scenarios that happen in 3 as a result of the choices you took like Nikolai either getting killing by the Nemesis or Nikolai making a bargain with Jill and escaping the city.
Killing Nemesis in the restaurant gets Carlos to be chilled and starting flirting with Jill thinking he likes her for his Spanish accents.
If you go to the Gas station first or the Factory first you get different scenes and scenarios based on the route you went first of the 3 locations. Stuff like that gave the game excellent an replay-ability factor.
That's why it was my most played RE game ever.

REmake is my favorite... and RE2 is a godlike game... but RE3 is the most enjoyable for me.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing RE3 right now and it's so different from 2. I was literally in the police station (the location people use to say RE3 is just an expansion to 2) for like 15 minutes and haven't been back since. I really don't get the '3 is the same 2' complaints. It's like those people played a different game.

large_gourd

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 29, 2018
3 is probably my favourite overall. I like 2 but I never really got what made it special above 1 and 3. The whole original trilogy of games is great. WHAT A SHAME THE SERIES ENDED AND NO MORE GAMES WERE RELEASED.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
3 is probably my favourite overall. I like 2 but I never really got what made it special above 1 and 3. The whole original trilogy of games is great. WHAT A SHAME THE SERIES ENDED AND NO MORE GAMES WERE RELEASED.
13c4jskp.jpg

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Pfft you insane people and not liking the excellent CV.

Any way man I need this demo in my life. I cant wait half a year to play this.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
RE3 is pretty good. I watched a playthrough a while back and was reminded how neat it is. Could it be improved upon? For sure! That's why a remake of it would be fantastic.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be fine with RE3make being an actual survival horror. Lay the smack on the action side, put Jill in a similar situation than Leon Kennedy but with a bit more tools at her disposal. Nemesis shouldn't appear as often as RE3 in order to not cheapen the impact, but have more unpredictable moments. Maybe even the necessity to hide à la Clock Tower in order to lose him ?

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Couple all that with more survivors, additional or expanded areas and we could have a very good REmake2-style game. Many of RE3's locations - the newspaper office, restaurant, gas station, etc. - would be great spots to run into new survivors and characters.

Edit: Big sticking point I have with RE3 is that everyone besides Brad and Umbrella Countermeasure folks are dead.With the game taking place before RE2 there should be at least some surviors.

Oct 28, 2017
I think go full Terminator would be an approach I'd like with the Nemesis in an RE3 Remake. I think in addition to Nemesis chasing you down, a hide and seek aspect should be added. The Nemesis being in the area should be terrifying, and I think having the option of hiding and trying to sneak around the Nemesis would be quite cool. Shouldn't always have that option obviously though.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I think go full Terminator would be an approach I'd like with the Nemesis in an RE3 Remake. I think in addition to Nemesis chasing you down, a hide and seek aspect should be added. The Nemesis being in the area should be terrifying, and I think having the option of hiding and trying to sneak around the Nemesis would be quite cool. Shouldn't always have that option obviously though.

This!!! Always hated that they permanently made the terminator the good guy, like they have a factory of good guy models to send back each time.
I was playing Alien Isolation, one thing I don't like about the AI is it seems to teleport to your current location. If Mr X or Nemesis have none of that going on I'd be glad.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I wasn't very enthusiastic about RE3 when it came out, I felt it was unnecessary and Nemesis kinda looked cartoonish to me.

My opinion changed over the years, though. It's a great game.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami

Good god no. No hide and seek! I don't understand how anyone can like a gameplay mechanic where you the player need to do nothing and wait for a minute before moving. You all must be big fans of loading screens.

Hide and seek horror is the worst. If Nemesis is after you, you run or fight back.

Oct 28, 2017
Good god no. No hide and seek! I don't understand how anyone can like a gameplay mechanic where you the player need to do nothing and wait for a minute before moving. You all must be big fans of loading screens.

Hide and seek horror is the worst. If Nemesis is after you, you run or fight back.
Plenty of horror games have done it effectively. Including the last Resident Evil game.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yeah, maybe hiding wouldn't be the best way to approach Nemesis. Now that I've thought about it a little more I would personally prefer they don't mess with Nemesis too much. He should pop up in new locations though. And new live selection scenes would be great.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I am sorry for your poor alternate reality. Mine has four amazing Resident Evil games and its sad that the series ended after that.
I wonder if there are yet other realitys were there are even more Games of that series on par with 4. I mean, they really understood how to do it after that one, right?

large_gourd

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I agree with what people are saying about Nemesis. The limited gameplay mechanics and possibly the fact that hide n seek horror hadn't been invented yet works in the game's favour with Nemesis. When he shows up it is always a FUCKING EMERGENCY and there's no down time until he is either dealt with or you've managed to escape. It's either time for a big fight or time to haul your ass out of there and try to continue doing what you were doing. It's pretty good.

There's also the way the tension music plays when he is 'in the area' but hasn't popped out yet, which keeps that low key emergency going. You are safe in this second, but you probably won't be in a few more, so get your shit down quickly and move it.

Having the option to like, jump in a locker in the midst of all this would only ruin these peaks of fear and tension. It would just create a vacuum in the middle of the Nemesis sequences where you are just waiting, and thereby make him less scary and more tedious to deal with.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
Having the option to like, jump in a locker in the midst of all this would only ruin these peaks of fear and tension. It would just create a vacuum in the middle of the Nemesis sequences where you are just waiting, and thereby make him less scary and more tedious to deal with.
I'll be fair while I like stealth I do dislike hiding in lockers or similar, or just the need to wait until the stalker despawns which is BORINGGG. If I made a stealth based game I would either not have them or make them the worst option (like Alien Isolation, a game I love and appreciate)

I like it when stealth games force you to actively push forward with the enemies present, which leads to tense-on-the-fly decisions to stay undetected

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure how RE3 isn't a loading time too ? You literally have to switch screens for Nemesis to leave, which is stupid in a remake that will not have loading time. You enter a bar and suddenly Nemesis will not follow you anymore ? Pretty rubbish if you ask me.

I don't even consider a loading time, Clock Tower has excellent stalker mechanics. You have to learn about the environment and how to use it to your advantage. Fight or flight means nothing if your option is always to waste time playing benny Hill with Nemesis, seems like a worst timewaster than hiding