• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think RE2's Metacritic Score will be?

• 93-100

Votes: 467 21.8%
  • 89-92

Votes: 1,050 49.1%
  • 85-88

Votes: 500 23.4%
  • 81-84

Votes: 77 3.6%
  • <80

Votes: 45 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_plq6mdrCKW1se6ntfo1_1280.png

PS4 Metacritic - 91
Xbox Metacritic - 92
Opencritic - 92

Will include a snippet and score of each review posted, but to support reviewers hard work and to get the full details, click each site and score to read more of their full thoughts.

Packed with nostalgia, new challenges, complex and deep gameplay that doesn't just adapt but embodies the genre it's inhabiting, and a AAA presentation that blows every previous RE out of the water — yes, even REmake — I feel confident in this assessment: As it was in 1998, so to shall it be in 2019. Resident Evil 2 is the best Resident Evil game ever made, full stop.
Rely on Horror - 10/10

Whether you've been waiting all these years to revisit Raccoon City or happen to be a curious first-timer, Resident Evil 2 is an essential must-have slice of video game horror, kicking off 2019 in style.
Bloody Disgusting - 9/10

That's where Resident Evil succeeds. Not in the drivel spouted from its character's mouths, but in the bullets spewed from their guns. Or better yet – the clicking of empty chambers, or the spine-chilling scratches of scrabbling overhead. I may hate lickers, but I'm also a little bit in love.
Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Recommended

Though Resident Evil 2 has its roots firmly in the past, it reworks the familiar horrors into something that feels brand new and all its own.
GameSpot - 9/10

Even better, it toes the line between schlocky and scary that the older Resident Evil games managed so well, and does so in perhaps one of the most atmospheric settings ever to grace a survival horror game.
Eurogamer - Recommended

It is pulse-pounding and a must play for horror fans, sometimes experimental but also superficial and rough.
Kotaku Review

For my money, Resident Evil 2 Remake is right up there with Resident Evil 4 as the best game in the series. It's the perfect blend of nostalgia and the new, marrying a classic game with contemporary game design, and a prime candidate for those Game of the Year lists. In January! Capcom clearly has no chill.
VG24 Review

The experience of playing through the new Resident Evil 2 for the first time establishes a new standard for remaking classic games.
IGN - 9.0

Resident Evil 2 paves a brilliant path for the future of the franchise.
Game Informer - 9.5/10

And so barely a month into 2019, we have our first front-running contender for Game of the Year.
Fandom - 5/5

Resident Evil 2 is not only an accomplished remake that should serve as the blueprint for how to re-imagine beloved classics, but is an incredible game in its own right- so much so, that it might even stand as one of the very best games this venerated and decorated franchise has delivered to date.
GamingBolt - 10/10

This is Resident Evil at its absolute best.
God is Geek - 10/10

The modern-aesthetic upgrade more than makes up for the game's lowest lows. Horror fans should immediately buy.
Arstechnica Review

I hope every legacy game in the series gets this loving treatment, as I'll probably be playing them for the rest of my life.
Destructoid - 9/10

Resident Evil 2 is the perfect sort of game for gushing. Much like the legendary REmake, this new version of a storied classic was lovingly crafted by people who not only have a collectively sharp eye for what makes an excellent video game today, but also possess a deep understanding of why the original Resident Evil 2 is worth revisiting and what made it a game celebrated to this day. This isn't just an old Resident Evil molded into the new Resident Evil formula. It's a new take on Resident Evil 2 that doesn't feel like it's trying to "modernize" or "fix" the original. It's more of an expensive, ludicrously polished tribute than a remake in the semantic sense, a project that has been in demand for years and quietly pursued for just as long. I'm glad it worked out so well.
Playstation Lifestyle - 10/10

It's a superbly constructed game.
App Trigger - 9.5/10

The Resident Evil 2 remake is, indeed, the best Resident Evil game ever released.(...)Survival horror isn't dead, inform the press that Resident Evil really is back.
Twinfinite - 4.5/5

It's a good time to be a Resident Evil fan again.
VentureBeats - 8.5/10

A fantastic big budget remake of one of Resident Evil's most popular entries, that manages to look state-of-the-art but in terms of gameplay finds a perfect balance of old and new.
Metro - 9/10

Bottom line, Resident Evil 2 is an outstanding remake and one you can purchase with confidence.
Cog Connected - 90/100

Resident Evil 2 is likely the single most excellent video game remake ever created and I'm hard-pressed to think of anything else that could even compare.
DualShockers - 9/10

JuexVideo - 17/20

More than just a simple remake of a cherished classic, Resident Evil 2 is a reinvigoration of the entire franchise, showing just how much life it still has left without the need to make drastic gameplay or stylistic changes. From start to end, this is a phenomenal showcase of old mixed with new, both giving players the chance to relive an important chapter in the life of the series under fantastic new conditions, while also potentially paving the way for Resident Evil for years to come.
EGM - 9.5/10

I kept my expectations at bay with this game after Resident Evil 7, and I have to say that this is definitely a great way to ring in the start of 2019 for Capcom.
The Nerd Mag - 9.1/10

The biggest compliment that can be leveled is how the game manages to elicit the same sense of dread and consequence that made the original a classic whilst injecting just enough complexity and modern sensibility to see it emerge from the shadow of its namesake with consummate ease.
PSU - 9.5/10

Considering there's little Capcom could have done to make Resident Evil 2 a better remake, capturing exactly what we love about the genre, we're left exceedingly hopeful for the franchise's future.
Hardcore Gamer - 4.5/5

Resident Evil 2 is an entertaining romp through Raccoon City that no horror fan — old or new — should miss.
Gadgets 360 - 10/10

Resident Evil 2 is everything you'd hoped for and more, and is a truly essential purchase.
Next Gen Base - 10/10

Whether you're a Resident Evil fan or you're looking to delve into the terrifying world of horror gaming, you owe it to yourself to make this iteration of Resident Evil a day one purchase.
ShackNews - 9/10

Resident Evil 2 might be one of the most accomplished remakes of the generation.
Push Square - 8/10

This is horror game design as true craft.
The Guardian - 10/10

The return to strong item management, survival and tense gameplay still works wonders. Level design alone is beautiful. Making for a fun experience for even long term "Resident Evil" fans.
Comicconverse - 10/10

Resident Evil 2 provides a new way to experience a classic and a very welcome reminder that the old style of Resident Evil is not dead. If anything, it's finally back.
Press Start Australia - 10/10

Resident Evil 2 is more than a remake of a classic game, it's one of the most accomplished horror titles you'll play for a long time
VideoGamer - 9/10

By trying to please so many different players the game will probably not satisfy anyone completely
Gamer.no - 7/10

It's a love letter to survival horror, delivered direct like a bullet to the head.
Digitally Downloaded - 10/10

Spectacular work and a must have.
ZTGD - 10/10

The sense of fear and terror when playing Resident Evil 2 never leaves you. It's unlike anything else I've encountered in a Resident Evil game previously. I'm just going to go ahead and call it: Resident Evil 2 is the best Resident Evil game in the franchise and represents a series and developer at its peak. Don't be distracted by the pretty graphics and gore, Resident Evil 2 is straight-up dangerous.
USGamer - 4.5/5

It is terrifically paced between that heightened stress and more atmospheric exploration
Telegraph - 10/10

Eurogamer Italy - 9/10

GameBlog - 8/10

GameKult - 7/10

Play Zine - 9.5/10

Hobby Consalas - 92%

SpazioGames - 91%

Atomix - 95/100

Resident Evil 2 is a must-have title in your collection.
psxbrasil - 98%

I strongly recommend Resident Evil to anyone who has the guts to play it.
SquareXO - 9/10

All in all, Resident Evil 2 is a phenomenal remake that plays to the long-running franchise's best strengths.
WeGotThisCovered - 10/10

It's only January, but RE2 may have already established itself as a serious 2019 Game of The Year contender.
Well Played - 10/10

Resident Evil 2 is loyal to the original where it counts, while also upgrading the experience with beautiful visuals and modern gameplay conveniences. It's so loyal that newcomers might find it a touch archaic, but for fans of the original, it's an absolute joy to play, and a fantastic horror game in its own right.
GamerCrate - 9/10

Whether you're a long time fan or a newcomer, Resident Evil 2 remake is an absolutely fantastic game. It's the best in the series yet and wholly outshined my most optimistic expectations.
Game Revolution - 10/10

I'll also make this claim: it is no longer a given that the often exalted Resident Evil 4 is the best Resident Evil to date. I'll gladly argue with anybody who is willing that Resident Evil 2 is better. It is my hope that this debate lasts until the next Resident Evil game that, if Capcom is smart, will use this nearly perfect game as a guideline.
Cheatcc - 10/10

Resident Evil 2 has always had the best moments in the series and plays to the strengths the franchise excels at. Going all-in on the horror serves a purpose and propels the series forward, the action takes a backseat to tense encounters with zombies and monsters out to kill you. Whether this is the tenth time or the first time you're experiencing this game, you won't be disappointed with this wonderful remake of one of the most iconic games of all time.
Console Creatures Review

REvil: 8.5/10
The Enemy: 4/5
Voxel: 93/100
UOL Jogos: 10/10
IGN Brasil: 100/100
Adrenaline: 9.5/10
Combo Infinito: 9.0/10
Tech Tudo: 9.8/10
Última Ficha: 9.5/10
Critical Hits: 9.0/10
MeuPS4: 4.5/5
PSX Brasil: 98/100

SGDC - Adored:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jgRB_pkSbM

Easy Allies - 9.0/10:

Jimpressions:

GameXplain - Loved

ACG - Buy:

A5F1cx.gif

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I predict mid to high 80's on metacritic simply because it's a remake of a cult classic and I can see some people being pissed with the changes.

Nurovek

Dec 26, 2018
France
Never played RE, but I guess 91.

Solid graphics and performance (at least on enhanced consoles), seems to be a great way to (re)visit a cult classic, gameplay is good (I played the demo and I wanted to play more !) and I guess fan service is an added value.

But it "still" is RE2.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
REmake was able to get a 91 with keeping the old tank controls and camera angles. REmake 2 might be able to appeal to a wider audience just by modernising those two factors alone. The only limiting factor I foresee is its genre itself. Everything else seems like a recipe for success.