• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
What can I say, it was rather easy for me to notice the performance difference between the two systems. PS5 is pretty much a locked 60fps in performance mode where as the Series X frequently drops to the mid 50s.

The difference in image clarity on foliage is rather noticeable though.
Oh I completely believe you. Im more surprised that I didnt notice it (Im usually very good at noticing any drops like this in other games). Not that Im really complaining... as if I noticed the FPS drops, it'd be way worse compared to some foliage issues lol. But Im definitely gonna be waiting for the DF technical review on the final version on release, so I can make the best choice on which I should play through first.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
lol all those "PS5 LOOKS LIKE ABSOLUTE SHIT COMPARED TO SERIES X" posts aging mighty fine now.

Disable the video processing garbage in settings if it looks soft to you.
This isn't some imaginary issue and turning certain settings off still doesn't fix it, eventhough it improves it.

It's still notiecably worse than the Series X version.

Equanimity literally made several videos trying to highlight these issues and yet this is what you decided to post.

If you can't handle people discussing technical issues in a technical comparison thread... Why are you here?

You need to do better.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't some imaginary issue and turning certain settings off still doesn't fix it, eventhough it improves it.

It's still notiecably worse than the Series X version.

Equanimity literally made several videos trying to highlight these issues and yet this is what you decided to post.

If you can't handle people discussing technical issues in a technical comparison thread... Why are you here?

You need to do better.

If you didn't compare the PS5 iq to literal shit, then my post is not aimed to you. Those people need to do better.

It's not a substantial difference to me, I have played both demos. PS5 also looks great with those video filters turned off.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
If you didn't compare the PS5 iq to literal shit, then my post is not aimed to you. Those people need to do better.

It's not a substantial difference to me, I have played both demos. PS5 also looks great with those video filters turned off.
Why are you taking it so personally? It is bad.

Highlighting it is good.

It means the devs will hear about it eventually and they'll fix it, just as they're doing with the horrible rain.

You have people in this very thread thinking it was 1080p, because of how bad it currently is.

This might not even be an issue on launch day, but don't take offense to something bad being called out. It's precisely because it shouldn't be this way, that people are reacting.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
I thought it ran at a way lower resolution than said here, Somethings not right here.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Man I wish they allowed to unlock the frame rate up to 120 fps for VRR in performance mode. ☹️ They did in RE2make and R3make, why not here?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I am not a fan of openly criticising other's work but the listing of these resolutions for consoles here seems off... For one, these resolutions on console are obviously checkerboarded (not TAAU or something), as always with RE engine games on console. Not mentioning that is a bit of question mark for me.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I dont have an xbox version to compare to, but in my personal experience the PS5 version looked bad up until I disabled CA (which frankly Im usually not all too bothered by in most games, but in this case it made for an extremely aliased image around the foliage). After that it frankly looked perfectly fine and clean. With that said Im not proclaiming to be Digital Foundry or anything, but there was nothing that seemed distracting visually to me.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Even in the zoomed comparisons it's clear ps5 looks blurrier, I'm not sure how they counted pixels and came to that conclusion

Oct 25, 2017
I am not a fan of openly criticising other's work but the listing of these resolutions for consoles here seems off... For one, these resolutions on console are obviously checkerboarded (not TAAU or something), as always with RE engine games on console. Not mentioning that is a bit of question mark for me.
Are you guys going to take a look at the demo or are you (understandably) saving your efforts for the retail release?

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
The only mention of any type of reconstruction is in their comment section:

"All versions use the same temporal reconstruction technique for resolution that we saw in RE Village"

But still, this comparison is omitting the IQ issues the PS5 version suffers from.

There's no mention of them at all.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Unless something is busted in the PS5 version with a filter or something else I don't think I understand how this could be true.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
lol all those "PS5 LOOKS LIKE ABSOLUTE SHIT COMPARED TO SERIES X" posts aging mighty fine now.

Disable the video processing garbage in settings if it looks soft to you.

just because youtube man claims something, it doesnt invalidate personal experiences. I dont have an xbox to compared to, but the PS5 version of the game does not look great at all in perf mode. Compared to a native 1440p image on Pc, it looks incredibly soft, shimmery, even with the available post process stuff disabled.

Apr 19, 2018
For the resolution/frame rates found by the YouTuber in question...
  • PlayStation 5
    • Resolution Mode: 2160p/~60fps
    • Performance Mode: Dynamic 2160p/60fps
  • Xbox Series X
    • Resolution Mode: 2160p/~60fps
    • Performance Mode: Dynamic 2160p/60fps
  • Xbox Series S
    • Resolution Mode: 1440p/~40fps
    • Performance Mode: 1080p/60fps
  • PlayStation 4 Pro
    • Resolution Mode: 2160p/~30fps
    • Performance Mode: Dynamic 1080p/~60fps
  • PlayStation 4
    • 900p/~45fps

Has there been testing for Playstation 4 version in Resolution Mode running on PS5? Could the extra hardware bump theoretically make it run at a completely locked 60fps?

I got a chance to see how the PS4 version runs on PS5 myself. Assuming Resolution Mode is actually operating at a consistent 2160p, it does seem to run at a very respectable 60fps for much of the demo's duration with nary a drop. A big graphical limitation, though, appears to be pop-in; I noticed the game constantly loading in assets, especially the foliage along the village's tree lines in the far backgrounds. There are obviously longer load times to contend with too, if only for a handful of seconds more compared to the PS5 being near instantaneous.

Other than that, PS4 on Resolution Mode seems like it could be a perfectly viable way to play the game on PS5, for those looking for double trophies or if you simply prefer using the DualShock 4. Comparatively, it looks WORLDS better than the muddy, smeary low-resolution that is PS4's Performance Mode, at least on my LG C2.

Last edited:

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Don't have an XSX but after playing the demo on PC and trying the PS5 one the IQ is kinda "meh" even after turning off CA.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I found interesting with the PC version is there is a stutter that occurs 100% of the time just as you enter the first house, walking up its stairs. That same section does not stutter on the PS5

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
One thing I found interesting with the PC version is there is a stutter that occurs 100% of the time just as you enter the first house, walking up its stairs. That same section does not stutter on the PS5
PS5 games in general have generally been pretty good at avoiding stutter.

PC has been a fucking hellscape. No surprise whatsoever that there's stuttering present that is not there on consoles.

If I get this, I'll still get it on PC though.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
PS5 games in general have generally been pretty good at avoiding stutter.

PC has been a fucking hellscape. No surprise whatsoever that there's stuttering present that is not there on consoles.

If I get this, I'll still get it on PC though.
You can easily compile all the shaders for any console (including steam deck) Capcom games are pretty good with avoiding stutter on PC, better than Unreal ironically.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I noticed that the things you can destroy become static and non-interactive after the initial interaction (generally a current-gen only feature, with some exceptions).

In the room where Leon kicks the first Ganado, if you, as an example, stab or shoot the plates on the dining table so that they land on the bench and then destroy said bench, the destroyed plates will remain floating in the air. 😅

Oct 27, 2017
Something doesn't make sense here
If this channel is coming up with different findings than a lot of people in this thread who are directly comparing versions on both consoles. Curious 🧐

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017

The new hotness is traversal stutter which is what we are probably seeing here. It also happens when you reach the trap every single time.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Also there is a stutter right before bear trap on the way to the main village area. I can live with that but still sucks and should not be there. Who knows where else that shit will popup throughout the game... might ruin some moments for sure.

Another funny bug is that at rendering resolution higher than 1440p flying moths disappear from the view or rather Leon's bounding box is getting larger or something and once it intersects with insects (😏) they disappear.

Apr 19, 2018

The new hotness is traversal stutter which is what we are probably seeing here. It also happens when you reach the trap every single time.

Is this area load-in specifically? Also notice a stutter just before crouching under the fallen tree on the road when you're about to face off against the two Ganados next to the abandoned pick-up truck.

Jun 25, 2022
I'm really surprised by how well the game runs on PS4. I was expecting sub-30fps frame drops. Granted, these numbers could be inaccurate or not representative of the whole demo. We should wait for the DF analysis to confirm these findings.

I noticed that the things you can destroy become static and non-interactive after the initial interaction (generally a current-gen only feature, with some exceptions).

In the room where Leon kicks the first Ganado, if you, as an example, stab or shoot the plates on the dining table so that they land on the bench and then destroy said bench, the destroyed plates will remain floating in the air. 😅
This is quite common with modern games, for some odd reason. Elden Ring does the same.

Nov 17, 2019
Surprised at the resolution for PS5. The game looked rough to me in perf mode and I don't typically notice these things.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
So basically PC (with occasional load stutters) >>>>> XSX (except for deadzone issue) >> PS5?

Seems there's no perfect version, you either sacrifice a ton of resolution clarity/detail/framerate to go with console or get interrupted with stuttering once or twice on PC over the entire course of the demo?

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
You managed to take a look at both versions by chance?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really surprised by how well the game runs on PS4. I was expecting sub-30fps frame drops. Granted, these numbers could be inaccurate or not representative of the whole demo. We should wait for the DF analysis to confirm these findings.

This is quite common with modern games, for some odd reason. Elden Ring does the same.

Looks like the PS4 demo version has an uncapped frame rate. I was watching a YouTube video of the PS4 demo version and it was hovering at 40'ish fps or so at 900p. We'll see how the game's performance holds up in the final game, but I'd say those are pretty good results.

Joo

May 25, 2018
If this channel is coming up with different findings than a lot of people in this thread who are directly comparing versions on both consoles. Curious 🧐
PS5 version looks great and sharp once you turn the lens distortion off. No idea why it messes up image quality, but it makes a big difference. It's on by default so that might throw people off.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
there's been historically some pretty significant differences between el analista de bits findings on their videos and other tech channels like digital foundry, so maybe this is another example of that.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be the first time this channel got resolution stuff wrong.

Negotiator117

Banned
Jul 3, 2020
PS5 version looks great and sharp once you turn the lens distortion off. No idea why it messes up image quality, but it makes a big difference. It's on by default so that might throw people off.
It still looks worse than the Series X version that is without question. It does hold a decent framerate advantage though, we'll have to see the full release which will probably be different.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
The softness or blurryness is very noticeable when you turn the camera to see Leon from the front. He looked super blurry .

Joo

May 25, 2018
It still looks worse than the Series X version that is without question. It does hold a decent framerate advantage though, we'll have to see the full release which will probably be different.
Oh yeah I haven't compared as I don't have Xbox and I don't really care which version is better, just that turning the lens distortion off improvises picture quality quite much on PS5.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
What is it with the sluggish / laggy / big deadzone for aiming?

I know games are complex but this was solved many, many years ago.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, even turning off the lens effect, Leon's face looks blurry on PS5.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I hadn't thought about this until now, but just before Capcom released the demo for Village, they also released this:

sMwivxx.png

As far as I know, no such thing has been released for RE4... Which makes me wonder if this is truly the final output resolution on PS5.

That would be horrendous and I'm honestly contemplating cancelling my order and going with the X.

I appreciated the transparency with Village. I'd love to see official targets like this one.

Village was practically identical on both systems and with RE4 also being cross-gen, I really didn't expect this.

Last edited:

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
Off the top of my head King of Fighters XV and One Piece Odyssey skipped an Xbox One SKU but still shipped on Xbox Series in addition to both PS4/PS5. Street Fighter 6 is also skipping XB1 but not Exoprimal.
Maybe Exoprimal had to be on XBOX ONE (as part of a deal with Microsoft) also to get more people playing it with GP subs.