• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Good job sir!

Like the Capcom dev stated best, On the T.V you are playing as Leon with a controller, In VR you are Leon.

I've never played RE4 prior, But happy to jump in and experience it all in VR.

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
Can games even have platinum trophies as DLC? That's what this is. It would need every trophy the main game carries, but it is considered free DLC by the store.
They can't put a separate VR platinum trophy in there (unless Sony allows it), but they could at least mirror the same trophies from bronze to gold from the regular game, so at least some trophies are earned while playing VR.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking, man I hope they let us use the original soundtrack DLC with the VR

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I won't have any time to play this until january at the earliest, but yeah, this is going to be great. Had to pick the game up at that price, too.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I played an hour or so.

First off, amazing.

I was able to activate all of the minor DLC bonuses like the deluxe weapons/cases and original soundtrack.

Trophies are obtainable!!!

Mercenaries was greyed out, so yeah I think it really was main campaign only

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
just played the intro up the bell toll, yeh this is freaking legit.

first off, it feels a bit smoother and clearer than RE8 to me, or maybe my vr legs are coming back. the combat though feels so good even with people swarming you i didnt really feel any nausea from running away and turning back constantly. and i've put like 100+ hours and platinumed the flat game so i know every part of this game back to front but the intensity is amped up for sure in vr. only nitpick so far is i cant throw my knife as well as in RE8, and i dont seem to be able to throw it at enemies, works for crows though.

also RE8 didn't give you access to any of your unlocks from the flat game, but my extra weapons were all waiting for me, if you unlocked cat ears and all those goodies, those are all available too!

i need to power through re8vr, because i cant see myself going back to that after this, it feels so much more polished.

oh and you can do this, feels damn good
giphy.gif

Last edited:

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
I had to try before going to sleep, I didn't want to wait lol
Very quick impressions:
- You can use the bonuses in the campaign. (outfits, extra treasure map, etc)
- There's options to keep first person view for certain actions. Many actions still switch to third person like kicking and being grabbed.
- The knife throw is extremely sensitive, a little flick will send it flying. If you don't equip your weapons they will fall to the ground before they appear on your person. You can pick them up from the ground too.
- Objects like doors and cabinets don't appear to be interactable, just press X to open. You can grab items manually or hit X.
- The HUD will appear when equipping a weapon then will fade away. You can check your health/ammo by tilting your hand.
- Cutscenes play in a window.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I have to wait till I get home but I cannot wait to play this! I'll be making some cool videos like I did with Village.

Oct 26, 2017
Just got up to the bell tolling in the village. Yeah this is fantastic. I swear it looks and feels better than Village to me. It's been awhile since I've played Village, but this feels sharper and the I think the asset quality is higher overall. I remember Village suffering a lot of aliasing which I'm not seeing much of here. Most importantly, it feels smoother. I'm playing with all comfort assists off and smooth turning and after an hour I don't feel feel the slight pang of nausea like I'd get in Village. All in all, so far this is definitely worth the wait.

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
A few comments after a couple of hours playing.

Compared to Village this game shows that its 3rd person design gets in the way of immersion in various instances.
While I applaud the effort and I realize that Capcom cant rewrite the entire game from scratch, the game far to often moves away from the first person perspective into a 3rd person one and it breaks immersion accordingly.

Those roundhouse kicks are the best example. For anyone who has played this game before, these things happen the entire time in the game. And when you do them in VR mode the game shows a 3rd person mini cutscene. Its not ideal. It really isnt. And it is not just kicks, its opening doors (and I really dont know why this specific one couldnt be reworked in 1st person), various other QTE style movements and animation that were designed for 3rd person gameplay, all of these move you away from the VR experience.

Another issue that I have has to do with equipment placement. Compared to Village, the equipment protrudes way more than it should. Yes there are options to customize somewhat the placement of things on your body, but it doesnt do much difference. In Village you could do wonders and fix the placement way better than here. In resi 4 you look just a bit down in front of you and you see those bags an weapons floating in the air... another thing that breaks immersion more than what village was. I hope they fix this. It is actually easy to do so, just make the sliders in the options section to move around equipment the same as village.

Finally another, rather small, note is that the game requires way too precise hand placement for wielding the pistol with both hands. Like the sense controlers literally have to touch each other for it to work. In Village there was no need for such precision and it felt great. Here it is a pain to do so and at the slightest move of hands the character stops holding the weapon with both hands and it feels awkward.

Other than that I have to really commend the effort and the game looks absolutely wonderful. Its clean, it really doesnt look like it is missing much from the flat version visually (i am sure it does, but it doesnt show, which is the point) and it is proof that PSVR2 has great capabilities as long as Sony and devs throw money at it.

If Capcom makes a couple of tweaks for resi 4 VR mode it would be great, especially the mini cutscenes thing. As it stands now, Village still remains a more immersive experience in VR than Resident Evil 4.

FantasticMrSnake

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait!, i hope it doesn't make me sick , otherwise i will be playing in <30min sessions.. ginger gum here we go!

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
A few comments after a couple of hours playing.

Compared to Village this game shows that its 3rd person design gets in the way of immersion in various instances.
While I applaud the effort and I realize that Capcom cant rewrite the entire game from scratch, the game far to often moves away from the first person perspective into a 3rd person one and it breaks immersion accordingly.

Those roundhouse kicks are the best example. For anyone who has played this game before, these things happen the entire time in the game. And when you do them in VR mode the game shows a 3rd person mini cutscene. Its not ideal. It really isnt. And it is not just kicks, its opening doors (and I really dont know why this specific one couldnt be reworked in 1st person), various other QTE style movements and animation that were designed for 3rd person gameplay, all of these move you away from the VR experience.

Another issue that I have has to do with equipment placement. Compared to Village, the equipment protrudes way more than it should. Yes there are options to customize somewhat the placement of things on your body, but it doesnt do much difference. In Village you could do wonders and fix the placement way better than here. In resi 4 you look just a bit down in front of you and you see those bags an weapons floating in the air... another thing that breaks immersion more than what village was. I hope they fix this. It is actually easy to do so, just make the sliders in the options section to move around equipment the same as village.

Finally another, rather small, note is that the game requires way too precise hand placement for wielding the pistol with both hands. Like the sense controlers literally have to touch each other for it to work. In Village there was no need for such precision and it felt great. Here it is a pain to do so and at the slightest move of hands the character stops holding the weapon with both hands and it feels awkward.

Other than that I have to really commend the effort and the game looks absolutely wonderful. Its clean, it really doesnt look like it is missing much from the flat version visually (i am sure it does, but it doesnt show, which is the point) and it is proof that PSVR2 has great capabilities as long as Sony and devs throw money at it.

If Capcom makes a couple of tweaks for resi 4 VR mode it would be great, especially the mini cutscenes thing. As it stands now, Village still remains a more immersive experience in VR than Resident Evil 4.

This sounds about right, it's how RE4 on Quest was. I had hoped this remake being made new would have had more fixes built in for those moments but I guess there is no way around it. For me it didn't really bother me, I knew I was signing up for a 25 year old game to be adapted for VR so it wasn't going to be the perfect VR experience. Still the most fun I have had with VR cause the action is the best. And I feel the action in this one is even better so I can't wait to see the crazy shit I can do with the weapons

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
This sounds about right, it's how RE4 on Quest was. I had hoped this remake being made new would have had more fixes built in for those moments but I guess there is no way around it. For me it didn't really bother me, I knew I was signing up for a 25 year old game to be adapted for VR so it wasn't going to be the perfect VR experience. Still the most fun I have had with VR cause the action is the best. And I feel the action in this one is even better so I can't wait to see the crazy shit I can do with the weapons

To be honest I think that I would prefer a workaround for those roundhouse kicks, even if it didnt make sense. Like for example a kick happening in front of your eyes without the character doing a 360. It would be much less immersion breaking than that 3rd person cutscene. At least for me.

Mxlegend99

May 20, 2018
Just played up to the typewriter after the first village. Probably took an hour to make it to that point because I was just enjoying how beautiful everything looked along the way. Holy shit is it breathtaking.

After the first house when you cross that bridge covered in blood. Damn that looked amazing. I crouched the whole way inspecting every board. The only fix needed for me is to stop the amount of times it cuts to a third person view. Bit annoying that you cant even open a gate without the switch.

I thought the village would be a lot harder to beat in VR. I suck at reloading manually and figured I would likely get killed fumbling around with that. So i did it all with the knife... aside from using my Handcannon to take down the chainsaw guy. It was so easy taking enemies down with the knife. Just stabbing like crazy at their heads I don't think I took any damage at all here. Actually only damage I took was on the first zombie you encounter at the start. I think I put 5 bullets into him and he still got me a bit.

Every time I play VR. Coming out of it makes the real world feel virtual. My hands feel kind of fake and floaty... like my depth perception or something is off

But all things considered I had a blast and will definitely finish the game in VR. Probably around an hour at a time though. Knowing when big swarms of enemies are coming will have me probably considering different tactics than on a controller. While aiming is easier and you can dual wield... the reloading and swapping weapons is a lot harder and that down time can mean death. God these games are amazing. RE8 and RE4 are my favorite VR games. GT7 probably third.

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
This is pretty good but for some odd reason I feel like the Quest one (which I've played recently) was a little more VR-centric than this, but I can't quite put my finger on why. As mentioned above the roundhouse kicks are super jarring (Quest did this too IIRC).

Rendering looks better than Village for sure. Man I forgot how much reprojection sucks on this thing though.

I do NOT like what they're doing with the automatic exposure, or at least in Chapter 1; you have hyper-dark environments but the sky is super bright, and the system is constantly trying to brighten/darken the overall frame to compensate. This will probably be less annoying when it gets to nighttime/indoors. So far they've done a nice job at avoiding mura though.

I'm glad I waited for VR to play this.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
This is pretty good but for some odd reason I feel like the Quest one (which I've played recently) was a little more VR-centric than this, but I can't quite put my finger on why. As mentioned above the roundhouse kicks are super jarring (Quest did this too IIRC).
Maybe due to the original having more "Arcade-like" / early-2000 graphics (which many VR games have) ? With the Remake being a modern title with physics based rendering and high details. Control wise they are practically identical.

OP
OP
Primal Sage

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Trophies are obtainable!!!

Nice and unexpected. I've edited OP to reflect this.

You guys are making it very hard to keep my "gotta finish RE8 before this" stance.

....Canonically this IS supposed to be played before 8 after all. I think I'll have to try at least the Village section tonight :-D

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
I already know the reprojection will have no negatives for me, I loved every minute of Village, and thought it looked great! So excited to hear the impressions of this looking even better. I can't wait to check it out tonight! I held off on playing the remake so it'll all be familiar but new to me, just like Village, though at least RE4 shouldn't have too many terrifying sections as it's a bit more arcade-y.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Just played up to the typewriter after the first village. Probably took an hour to make it to that point because I was just enjoying how beautiful everything looked along the way. Holy shit is it breathtaking.

After the first house when you cross that bridge covered in blood. Damn that looked amazing. I crouched the whole way inspecting every board. The only fix needed for me is to stop the amount of times it cuts to a third person view. Bit annoying that you cant even open a gate without the switch.

I thought the village would be a lot harder to beat in VR. I suck at reloading manually and figured I would likely get killed fumbling around with that. So i did it all with the knife... aside from using my Handcannon to take down the chainsaw guy. It was so easy taking enemies down with the knife. Just stabbing like crazy at their heads I don't think I took any damage at all here. Actually only damage I took was on the first zombie you encounter at the start. I think I put 5 bullets into him and he still got me a bit.

Every time I play VR. Coming out of it makes the real world feel virtual. My hands feel kind of fake and floaty... like my depth perception or something is off

But all things considered I had a blast and will definitely finish the game in VR. Probably around an hour at a time though. Knowing when big swarms of enemies are coming will have me probably considering different tactics than on a controller. While aiming is easier and you can dual wield... the reloading and swapping weapons is a lot harder and that down time can mean death. God these games are amazing. RE8 and RE4 are my favorite VR games. GT7 probably third.

From the highlights I saw of the demo from the flat version of the game, the hand to hand and knife combat is super powerful. Stronger than bullets perhaps. Using wresting takedowns for AOE damage too, I imagine people can practically make no gun runs of the game with some exceptions!

TimotheusNL

Jun 9, 2023
I'm super excited to jump in this weekend. RE8 in VR was scary as fuck and this will be the first time playing RE4 ever.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Traversal stutter in the regular version is sill there, for anyone wondering. Tested the courtyard in the castle. I had thought they maybe would have fixed it due to the fact that it will stick out even more in VR and then backport that fix to the regular version, but alas it is still there. Maybe they fixed it in the VR mode though.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Had some fun just past the first village encounter, just one niggle making me feel silly:

I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to reload the preorder shotgun lol, welp send to storage you go!

Apr 19, 2018

That's curious. Are the controls at least as good and as intuitive as the Quest version? Do they mirror the Quest's layout for the most part in terms of weapon placement, ammo pouch placement, healing item, etc?

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018

Rendering looks better than Village for sure. Man I forgot how much reprojection sucks on this thing though.

I do NOT like what they're doing with the automatic exposure, or at least in Chapter 1; you have hyper-dark environments but the sky is super bright, and the system is constantly trying to brighten/darken the overall frame to compensate. This will probably be less annoying when it gets to nighttime/indoors. So far they've done a nice job at avoiding mura though.

I'm glad I waited for VR to play this.
While I haven't played more than 40 minutes I could already feel the absence of touches and changes the Quest version had.
- Every door could be opened by hand. You could even peek through doors. All the drawers and cabinets that were intractable were done with your hands too.
- Some objects in the world were intractable and had physics applied to them, like skulls and lanterns.
- You had to open bear traps by hand if caught in them.
- Your HUD was in a watch on your wrist.
But that was the product of a full conversion to UE4. This is a VR mode for a flatscreen game, let alone a very different game with different mechanics. I am surprised at the absense of smaller interactions compared to RE8's VR mode though. Maybe being a 1st person game made the transition easier?

NinjaLooter

Oct 1, 2023
This definitely looks better than Village. The mura, although present, is not as bad as Village.

The OLED of PSVR2 definitely helps a lot here. Dark scenes are truly dark especially the firs time Leon turns on his flashlight in the villager's house.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
While I haven't played more than 40 minutes I could already feel the absence of touches and changes the Quest version had.
- Every door could be opened by hand. You could even peek through doors. All the drawers and cabinets that were intractable were done with your hands too.
- Some objects in the world were intractable and had physics applied to them, like skulls and lanterns.
- You had to open bear traps by hand if caught in them.
- Your HUD was in a watch on your wrist.
But that was the product of a full conversion to UE4. This is a VR mode for a flatscreen game, let alone a very different game with different mechanics. I am surprised at the absense of smaller interactions compared to RE8's VR mode though. Maybe being a 1st person game made the transition easier?

This stuff doesn't bother me one bit, I'm in it for the combat, crazy visuals and inventory Tetris.

Perhaps all the complaints from Village caused them to regress and really not confuse people to have expectations that it's more than just a hybrid game to walk around and shoot enemies in. It sounds like they even regressed on the cutscenes and they're forced cinema style now instead of in-person.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
Got just a little past the bell toll last night. All the 3rd person and flat cinematic stuff is disappointing. Definitely prefer 8 in that regard. Also I can't throw a knife to save my life, even though that was my go to in 8. I'm still early so I'm sure it'll grow on me. Looks pretty, at least.

Oct 26, 2017
Okay so it isn't just me. I was gonna say, the game looks really sharp in the headset. I remembered there being a lot of shimmering in Village, occasional muddy texturing and low level geometry here and there. There appears to be almost no cutbacks in the first chapter I played in RE4R. Even the animals look great! I swear I was staring at those cows and pigs for a moment haha Like I'm genuinely stunned by how good it looks. I wonder if they can go back and get Village looking this good?

I do hope they fix the inventory placement as mentioned though. I made so many mistakes last night attempting to grab my knife in the heat of battle only to grab a grenade instead :l

BitterFig

Oct 30, 2017
omg you people are making it very difficult to hold on a buy. I did not expect the game to be sharper than Village.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
Thinking of picking this up. I've not played Village because I haven't gotten around to playing 7 still, and I have weird mental hangups about having to play what came before. This however being a remake kinda sidesteps both that issue, and me inherently being a little bitch when it comes to horror in VR in general, due to its more action oriented nature (still traumatised by my foray into Phasmophobia in VR...).

I'm not sure why I seemingly own Village though. Did it get added to PS+ at some point, or have I been subconsciously shopping again?

Sony needs to fund more hybrid games damnit! 1 RE4-style game a month for a couple years, and I guarantee the PS VR2 will be much more popular!

Agreed. I have no idea what the funding for such modes looks like vs normal exclusivity of marketing deals, but they really need to be doing far more of this across their own titles, and 3rd party titles that are a good fit. I think if there were something like 12 high-profile hybrid AAA titles a year, it would provide enough confidence and sense of value to PSVR2, that it would eventually grow an audience that could sustain such hybrid titles as a launch feature without first party intervention.

Racing games feel like the most obvious low-hanging fruit in this case. People have picked up PSVR2s and racing wheels purely for GT7, and then once they've played that, there's like nothing for them to go to next.

I mean if you play RE4 well, I cant imagine how this is very fun at all in VR.

I actually often find my relative lack of proficiency in VR helps make many games more enjoyable and engaging. Panicking to not fumble a reload under pressure vs pressing a button for 100% success rate every time can make otherwise mundane situations significantly more exciting.

Is PSVR2 your first headset? The weird floaty disassociation is something that's a common phenomenon for people newer to VR if they're in for extended periods of time. It tends to stop happening as your brain gets used to separating VR out from reality (but unfortunately tends to coincide with a reduced feeling of presence in VR too).

jack.

Oct 27, 2017
This is great. The weird inventory placement is really my only complaint so far.

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
Omg the boat part. It was awesome and I made it through, but I knew it was gonna get bad when the tutorial message was "THIS MAY BE ROUGH JUST SAYIN"

Smooth turn in VR is the bane of my existence, I'm amazed how some people prefer it.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
Downloaded a few hours ago (thankfully before the download issues it sounds like). Now I have finished the FF16 DLC I am going to boot this up tonight and give it a go.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Downloaded a few hours ago (thankfully before the download issues it sounds like). Now I have finished the FF16 DLC I am going to boot this up tonight and give it a go.

How long was the 16 DLC? I was going to hop into the demo today, but that shadow dropped so I plan to play through that first.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It took a while to grab FFXVI and RE4 patches shortly after the TGA ended last night for me—just unusually slow downloads. So I think PSN has been struggling overnight.

Temporarily banned, downloads slowed to a crawl and the new price hike due for renewal in a couple of weeks for me. PSN is not pleasant right now.

That said, going to give VR mode a very quick try before work today. I'm expecting greatness—RE7, OG RE4, Village were all phenomenal VR experiences.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Omg the boat part. It was awesome and I made it through, but I knew it was gonna get bad when the tutorial message was "THIS MAY BE ROUGH JUST SAYIN"

Smooth turn in VR is the bane of my existence, I'm amazed how some people prefer it.

Haha, how do you play racing games then? Wipeout etc? From what I've read Half-Life 2's buggy section is a thing of nightmares for VR, looking forward to that!

Was the sea monster frightening in VR?

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
How long was the 16 DLC? I was going to hop into the demo today, but that shadow dropped so I plan to play through that first.

Perhaps 2-ish hours, maybe a little more. It was pretty short to get through provided you have an appropriate endgame save with the needed sidequests completed.

Weldersbench

Nov 21, 2023
I can't wait to try this this weekend. The only thing missing will be the smoke and adrenaline flavoured candle I had when I first played RE7 in vr.

I've been feeling a bit down on PSVR2 as I'd hoped for more big budget software but it's early days I suppose. I'm hoping this reignites some of my vr enthusiasm.