• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
dtsALT.1.png

Very late on this, but it looks insane. It's planned release date is relatively soon too (October)

From the creator of Resident Evil: Mortal Night. A new RE2 Sourcenext mod that takes place during the first days of the Raccoon City outbreak. Playing as Kevin from the Outbreak series, you'll have to resist inside and outside the RPD, managing the few resources at your disposal and making sure that survivors don't die. For this, there will be new gameplay mechanics, and you'll have to choose carefully what you want to do, leaving room for dozens of outcomes. Not only your actions will affect the course of the game, but also the moment in which you do them, as there is a live timer.

Some of the gameplay enhancements include enemies being able to go through doors, the player have the option (with resources) to lock doors and barricade windows, AI Police Partners to held you hold the line, world that's on a timer (which changes enemy placement, sidequests being available and other dynamic events) a bunch of elements from the Remakes (Like Paleheads, the barricade feature, dynamic stalker).

www.moddb.com

Resident Evil: During the Storm mod

[UPDATE 7/7/2022. The project is cancelled for the moment.] From the creator of Resident Evil: Mortal Night and his new team. A new Resident Evil 2 (1998) SourceNext mod that takes place during the first days of the Raccoon City outbreak. Playing as...

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
What a weird thing. Any game that lets me play as what was at the time my favorite early 2000s actor (Tom Cruise) playing a member of the RPD with my first name is something I'm on board with. lol

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Like I said, it's there to make the world feel far less static. Mobs will move, NPC's will die, and new more challenging enemies will congregate on the Raccoon Police Station based on the timer.
Yeah I get that, just sucks to be tied to a timer is all. Life is demanding enough as it is without starting another experience where you're being rushed around. That's just me though, I'm sure some people dig it.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Some pretty cool ideas there and its old school RE so I'm down with that. Interested to see and hear more about things like the stalker character. I assume if there is a timer it shows up at some point and will wander around the station.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who's had his finger on the heartbeat of the Resident Evil community, I ask you:

Who the hell is Kevin?

from the Outbreak series

... the what?

Wikipedia said:
Resident Evil Outbreak is a survival horror video game with online playability for the PlayStation 2. Initially released in 2003, it was developed by Capcom Production Studio 1 and was the first entry in the Resident Evil video game series to feature cooperative gameplay and online multiplayer support

wtf, I just went straight to RE4 and completely missed this

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
As someone who's had his finger on the heartbeat of the Resident Evil community, I ask you:

Who the hell is Kevin?

... the what?

wtf, I just went straight to RE4 and completely missed this
Yeah Outbreak was pretty under the radar. The Europe version of Outbreak 1 has no multiplayer mode. Also the install ability was cut too. To shorten load times. HDD addon was not really brought to Europe.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
This actually sounds like it might be awesome. Adding in a timer / schedule to the classic RE formula could really spice things up.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Outbreak was fucking awesome. I'd rather an Outbreak 1/2 remake than a 4 remake.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Wow this looks like a great way of making classic RE interesting again. I haven't had an itch to play tank-controls RE in a long time, but this sounds thrilling/majorly stress-inducing.

Urðr

Aug 13, 2020
Hey, the creator of the mod here! I have some new pictures to share with you.

1.png

2.png

The mod will have over 30 different NPCs and more than 30 different zombies just for Disc 1 (there are two). They are low poly, but still, this could be said to be more varied than any other game in the saga. Also, non-infected dogs are a thing ;)

Regarding the complaints about the timer, it's not like the game ends when a certain amount of time passes or anything like that. The timer basically changes the things going on in the scenario, like accessible areas, NPCs, enemies, etc. It can be used in a strategic way, and it helps to prevent the player from 100%-ing the game on the first playthrough (although story choices already make that impossible).

About the release date, I never stated it was going to be released in October; that was just an error from ModDB. We're aiming for a Q2-Q3 release in 2021. The game will be nearly twice as long as the original one, and I'd say it has enough elements to be more replayable too. There's a chance that we'll also include voice acting.

Edit: official poster
moddb.png

Last edited:

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Impressive. One of the few times where a timer intrigues me.

Looking forward to seeing how this develops.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Pretty Sick. Definitely giving this a go when it releases. Giving Kevin Ryman the light that he never got is immensely appreciated.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
To those that don't know Kevin, or Outbreak but love Resident Evil, you owe it to yourself to look up some content on one of the best Resident Evil experiences out there!

1.png

2.png

The mod will have over 30 different NPCs and more than 30 different zombies just for Disc 1 (there are two). They are low poly, but still, this could be said to be more varied than any other game in the saga. Also, non-infected dogs are a thing ;)

Regarding the complaints about the timer, it's not like the game ends when a certain amount of time passes or anything like that. The timer basically changes the things going on in the scenario, like accessible areas, NPCs, enemies, etc. It can be used in a strategic way, and it helps to prevent the player from 100%-ing the game on the first playthrough (although story choices already make that impossible).

About the release date, I never stated it was going to be released in October; that was just an error from ModDB. We're aiming for a Q2-Q3 release in 2021. The game will be nearly twice as long as the original one, and I'd say it has enough elements to be more replayable too. There's a chance that we'll also include voice acting.

moddb.png

Looks great, thanks for giving Kevin the love! He's amazing in Outbreak. You probably can't answer this, but any chance of any of the other Outbreak characters showing up, or as an Easter Egg? :)

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

1.png

2.png

moddb.png
Damn it looks great! Amazing work!

Urðr

Aug 13, 2020
Thank you everyone!

You probably can't answer this, but any chance of any of the other Outbreak characters showing up, or as an Easter Egg? :)
We're trying to respect the canon as much as possible, and each Outbreak character (or at least most) had their own canon scenarios. So they won't be part of the main story, as this mod is essentially Desperate Times but turned into an entire game. But I don't discard them being there as some sort of Easter Egg.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
New gameplay! We'll improve the writing, so please, don't mind the typos :S

I really like what you guys are going for with this mod. Locking doors to prevent enemies from following you is a really cool mechanic that adds a layer of strategy; I like it. I also like the timer and how it affects NPCs and story stuff.

Can you tell us if the mod will have an option to turn off the MC's quips when he kills enemies? I could see this being immersion-breaking, and possibly annoying after a while.

In any case, I'll keep an eye on this mod for sure.

Urðr

Aug 13, 2020
Keep up with the good work!
Looks fucking insane! Great job!
Thanks!!

Can you tell us if the mod will have an option to turn off the MC's quips when he kills enemies? I could see this being immersion-breaking, and possibly annoying after a while.
I don't think I'll be able to code a "switch" for his comments, but in any case I intentionally made it exaggerated for the video. As they're manually scripted, I'll make sure to only include one out of 5 enemies or so, and he won't ever repeat lines he has already said. I'm the first the one to notice when something is annoying, so you don't have to worry about that ;)

Would be cool if they added RE 1.5 enemies and backgrounds.
That would be in fact much easier than porting RE3 content, and I like easy things ;)

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Any chance to see super Remake 2 styled durable zombies or a Crimson Head mechanic?

Urðr

Aug 13, 2020
This is fantastic, props to the mod creator
Thanks!

Any chance to see super Remake 2 styled durable zombies or a Crimson Head mechanic?
Zombies will certainly be stronger than in the original game, and faster too. That way the mod can be challenging without having to add a horde of 10 zombies, like my previous mod did. The crimson head mechanic can't be properly implemented in RE2 as there is no way to check where in the room an enemy has been killed. There will be special types of zombies in the mod, although they won't work with that mechanic.

Last edited:

Ruuppa

Oct 27, 2017
This is looking really tasty, and really scratches that zombie-survival itch I constantly have.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Replying to the thread to put it on page 1 😋

Great news for all those who are able to play it. I hope this is a success for you and you do more Resident Evil projects with other RE Outbreak characters.

Urðr

Aug 13, 2020
Great news for all those who are able to play it. I hope this is a success for you and you do more Resident Evil projects with other RE Outbreak characters.
Thanks a lot!

By the way, we shadow dropped a demo a few hours ago ;)

You can download it for free for Resident Evil 2 SourceNext!

www.moddb.com

Resident Evil: During the Storm mod

[UPDATE 7/7/2022. The project is cancelled for the moment.] From the creator of Resident Evil: Mortal Night and his new team. A new Resident Evil 2 (1998) SourceNext mod that takes place during the first days of the Raccoon City outbreak. Playing as...