• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
www.rottentomatoes.com

Resident Evil: Season 1 | Rotten Tomatoes

Year 2036 -- 14 years after the spread of Joy caused so much pain, Jade Wesker fights for survival in a world overrun by the blood-thirsty infected and mind-shattering creatures. In this absolute carnage, Jade is haunted by her past in New Raccoon City, by her father?s chilling connections to...

www.gamespot.com

Netflix's Resident Evil Review - Easily The Best Adaptation Of The Zombie Franchise Yet

Come for the zombies, blood, and gore, stay for a story that jumps around in time to tell the tale of the end of the world.

GameSpot says it's the best Resident Evil adaptation yet, and is generally really well made and entertaining. The biggest negative they cite is that suspending your disbelief for the show to incorporate the series-canonical events of the game series is a pretty tall order.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
have seen it, wouldn't go as high as 9, but if I was giving it a review it would probably go in the "fresh" category, albeit just barely.

Enough good shit to outweigh the bad, a lot of the good stuff is with Wesker and his teenage kids. Bad stuff largely centers around the future timeline in the apocalypse… which is disappointing since that's where the overwhelming majority of the zombie shit is

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
A 56% on RT is high enough for me to give it a shot.

It's not a score. It's a summary of how many critics felt more positive than negative about it.

Trick_GSF

Nov 2, 2017
The CG movies are my favorite by far. I'll watch as many as they are willing to make.

me too pal.

8a35839c629b9a9f3643198909b278c0.gif

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
RT scoring it at a 56% just makes me want to see it more now. I often think they over score and underscore stuff.

I'm sure it's going to be a fun goofy/gory weekend binge and be painfully average-mediocre and that's fine.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
More than half of the reviewers gave it a fresh rating, which isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world. I mean, the projects that get the super high fresh ratings tend to be extraordinarily safe, while there is some really good stuff that is a little more divisive. I may give this series a shot.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
A 56% on RT is high enough for me to give it a shot.

It's not a score. It's a summary of how many critics felt more positive than negative about it.

Exactly! It happens a lot here where people treat the RT % like its Metacritic/Open aggregate scores. This RT is just telling us that over half the critics were positive on the movie which is much better than I'd expect from a Netflix videogame movie... their action stuff usually lands in the 30% range.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Someone will make something really good with RE one day...

RT score is not a rating of quality, it's a rating of how many selected-by-RT reviewers like the product more than they dislike the product, which is a binary yes/no.

In that sense it's very much like Steam review scores if you play on a PC, where a Mixed doesn't mean bad it means divisive and go read the reviews.

Yes a 80-100% probably equates to "this thing is really good" (or at least, it's inoffensive so a lot of people like it), but a 51-79% does not equal "bad" it equals "this is divisive. You will either love it or hate it".

Let's look at the actual negative reviews:

* "For those unfamiliar with the fabled video game series, this will feel like little more than a muddled, and somewhat tacky, zombie serial, saddled with the baggage of pre-existing lore."

* "A small deception, it anchors its most visceral component to concrete situations tied to a mystery that lacks a good hook."

* "Parts of Resident Evil's twin timelines show promise, but it ultimately falters thanks to large chunks being dedicated to a sub-standard post-apocalyptic plot that's been done better elsewhere."

* "A fter an okay opening episode, Resident Evil settles into an action-adventure slog rather than anything remotely new or scary. The complete absence of "horror" here is an egregious sin."

* "Spends most of its time desperate to justify its own existence in the Resident Evil Universe™, and none building a new story that's worth caring about."

* "There's a great Resident Evil adaptation in here somewhere, but like the zeroes scattered throughout this show, Resident Evil mostly just bites."

* "Though slickly produced and solidly acted, Netflix's Resident Evil feels too much like a generic sci-fi horror series cynically slapped with the Resident Evil branding and dusted with just enough fan service to keep the die-hards from fully tuning out."

So you got someone who hates it because they don't know Resident Evil, someone who disliked it because it didn't have a good narrative hook, someone who doesn't like it because it's post apocalyptic, someone who doesn't like it because it wasn't scary enough for them, someone who doesn't like it because it's a part of the Resident Evil universe and leans too hard into that, someone who doesn't like it for...some reason....and someone who thinks it doesn't lean into Resident Evil enough.

And all the negative reviews if you look at the actual review score and not the Fresh/Rotten are 2.5 out of 5's with 1 D. So average. Basically on the border of Fresh/Rotten.

So it's divisive.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
RT score is not a rating of quality, it's a rating of how many selected-by-RT reviewers like the product more than they dislike the product, which is a binary yes/no.

In that sense it's very much like Steam review scores if you play on a PC, where a Mixed doesn't mean bad it means divisive and go read the reviews.

Yes a 80-100% probably equates to "this thing is really good" (or at least, it's inoffensive so a lot of people like it), but a 51-79% does not equal "bad" it equals "this is divisive. You will either love it or hate it".

Let's look at the actual negative reviews:

* "For those unfamiliar with the fabled video game series, this will feel like little more than a muddled, and somewhat tacky, zombie serial, saddled with the baggage of pre-existing lore."

* "A small deception, it anchors its most visceral component to concrete situations tied to a mystery that lacks a good hook."

* "Parts of Resident Evil's twin timelines show promise, but it ultimately falters thanks to large chunks being dedicated to a sub-standard post-apocalyptic plot that's been done better elsewhere."

* "A fter an okay opening episode, Resident Evil settles into an action-adventure slog rather than anything remotely new or scary. The complete absence of "horror" here is an egregious sin."

* "Spends most of its time desperate to justify its own existence in the Resident Evil Universe™, and none building a new story that's worth caring about."

* "There's a great Resident Evil adaptation in here somewhere, but like the zeroes scattered throughout this show, Resident Evil mostly just bites."

* "Though slickly produced and solidly acted, Netflix's Resident Evil feels too much like a generic sci-fi horror series cynically slapped with the Resident Evil branding and dusted with just enough fan service to keep the die-hards from fully tuning out."

So you got someone who hates it because they don't know Resident Evil, someone who disliked it because it didn't have a good narrative hook, someone who doesn't like it because it's post apocalyptic, someone who doesn't like it because it wasn't scary enough for them, someone who doesn't like it because it's a part of the Resident Evil universe and leans too hard into that, someone who doesn't like it for...some reason....and someone who thinks it doesn't lean into Resident Evil enough.

And all the negative reviews if you look at the actual review score and not the Fresh/Rotten are 2.5 out of 5's with 1 D. So average. Basically on the border of Fresh/Rotten.

So it's divisive.
Seems like a decent enough watch if you're into schlocky zombie shows and such. I'll probably check it out if I get bored enough.

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Someone will make something really good with RE one day...
Resident Evil isn't high art or difficult to adapt, so I have no idea how they keep getting it wrong.

That being said, the fact that the worst looking/sounding Resident Evil adaptation is reportedly the best out of the Paul W.S. Anderson films, Infinite Darkness, and Welcome to Racoon City is funny to me.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
Resident Evil isn't high art or difficult to adapt, so I have no idea how they keep getting it wrong.

That being said, the fact that the worst looking/sounding Resident Evil adaptation is reportedly the best out of the Paul W.S. Anderson films and Welcome to Racoon City is funny to me.
But why is it the worst looking/sounding adaptation? Because all I can gather is that people are mad that the plot and characters have so very little to do with the source material. Which, you know, you can deviate greatly from it and still end up with a great TV show. And I'm not claiming this is, I haven't seen it, I just have never understood why people have been so sure from the very beginning that this would suck.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
For all the "don't treat the RT% as a score" comments, doesn't RT still have an aggregate score feature too? looks like it's currently sitting at 5.6/10 within the score details section

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
But why is it the worst looking/sounding adaptation? Because all I can gather is that people are mad that the plot and characters have so very little to do with the source material. Which, you know, you can deviate greatly from it and still end up with a great TV show. And I'm not claiming this is, I haven't seen it, I just have never understood why people have been so sure from the very beginning that this would suck.
Because the trailers were crappy, the official synopsis sounds like an in-name-only adaptation that apes the Paul W.S. Anderson films and goes full CW and Walking Dead: World Beyond, the leaked plot details were atrocious, and generally the only reason to be excited was Lance Reddick getting cast as Albert Wesker (and he doesn't even act like Wesker in the trailers).

Even with these reviews, the show honestly doesn't sound good per se. Just better than the previous adaptations, which is a low bar.

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017
Gamespot article says the show takes place after "Village" which doesn't even make sense. But whatever.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I watch pretty much anything with Lance Reddick in it and everything I've read of the show says he's like the reason to watch it. So I'm going to watch it even if I have to break my brain with how they expect me to believe it's canonical to the game narrative (in which RE7 & 8 barely are in the first place)

You'd think a Resident Evil movie would be easy to screenwrite though: Spooky mansion, a group of doomed public task force folk, zombies & monsters, a betrayal, all with hints of something bigger going on that could expand into a sequel.

It's never been that complicated lol

But then I thought Halo would be a property that was easy to adapt and that got weird af as well.

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to watch this show just to see how they explain Lance Riddick is the same guy who got killed on a volcano and the fact the events of Re5 happened in this shows universe

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
For all the "don't treat the RT% as a score" comments, doesn't RT still have an aggregate score feature too? looks like it's currently sitting at 5.6/10 within the score details section
You're right. And it's the same % as on Metacritic
www.metacritic.com

Resident Evil (2022) season 1

The sci-fi/horror series inspired by the video game franchise features the story of Jade Wesker (Ella Balinska), her father Albert (Lance Reddick), the Umbrella Corporation, and how New Raccoon City became the origin of a deadly virus that led to a global apocalypse in 2036.

Jun 10, 2018
Based on the trailers they released, it looks like it could be a good show. If only they didn't attach Resident Evil to it, I am still going to watch it though.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
It can't possibly be as bad as Welcome to Raccoon City, so we're at a net positive here no matter what.

Munroe

May 17, 2019
I'll watch it, even if just for lance Riddick! 😁 The trailers looked interesting enough to give it a shot.

Can't be as bad as Welcome to Raccoon City or the snooze fest CG Infinite Darkness

JaxiPup

Dec 23, 2017
Massachusetts
Games media adaptations will contine to be terrible until games writers get involved in the screen writing pprocess. Barely serviceable fan fiction with reconfigured lore just isn't going to cut it anymore.

This one also suffers from a super heavy dose of Anderson-ification, from the vibe of umbrella to the post apocalypse setting. We already have wesker children in lore to explore; we have Blue Umbrella and BSAA; there's so much world building to utilize, but it gets tossed aside because some screen writer thinks they can do better.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
More than half of the reviewers gave it a fresh rating, which isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world. I mean, the projects that get the super high fresh ratings tend to be extraordinarily safe, while there is some really good stuff that is a little more divisive. I may give this series a shot.

This is actually a problem with rotten tomatoes. More out there, potentially thought provoking love / hate content will get RT scores lower then let's say 60%; but generally safe big budget whiz bang ninja cool Marvel crap will have high RTs because they satisfy the, ehh — it was fun enough I guess review.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Just give me spoilers what the hell is up with Wesker and how can that be post RE5 Wesker.

Oct 25, 2017
Just give me spoilers what the hell is up with Wesker and how can that be post RE5 Wesker.
goofy clones,
we see a flashback to the mountains outside Raccoon set in 2005.

Like 4 or 5 Riddick Weskers working in a lab,
one of them named "Bert"
Riddick dressed like RE5 Wesker is their leader.
Umbrella Assault team breaks in "game" Wesker escapes

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
goofy clones,
we see a flashback to the mountains outside Raccoon set in 2005.

Like 4 or 5 Riddick Weskers working in a lab,
one of them named "Bert"
Riddick dressed like RE5 Wesker is their leader.
Umbrella Assault team breaks in "game" Wesker escapes
Thank you saving my time.
Samuel-baby.gif

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
9/10 from that author makes this an automatic skip. Their scale works backwards.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Gamespot article says the show takes place after "Village" which doesn't even make sense. But whatever.
Yeah I've seen several reviews going on about how much the show incorporates the lore from the games but I don't see how it possibly can. Like, Wesker's dead.. Umbrella's been gone for more games than it was present.

And I don't know why live action RE adaptations are so obsessed with a post apocalyptic setting since that's never been a focus of the games.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've seen several reviews going on about how much the show incorporates the lore from the games but I don't see how it possibly can. Like, Wesker's dead.. Umbrella's been gone for more games than it was present.

And I don't know why live action RE adaptations are so obsessed with a post apocalyptic setting since that's never been a focus of the games.
because its cheaper, production wise.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
It just feel like a generic sci fi horror series with the RE branding lazily painted on it. It's not terrible but it's not very good either. Gamespot tripping with a 9/10 (I gave it a 5 in my review).

Gonzito

Banned
Apr 5, 2022
Spain
Maybe we should all just accept that the resident evil franchise never had a strong story or lore to begin with, and this is why we see movies and tv shows that fail to achieve anything good

Yorker14

Apr 27, 2022
Sydney, Australia
Not saying that game-review sites such as IGN and Gamespot SHOULDN'T review film and television, but like ... I'm probably never going to pay attention to their takes on such things. Heck, I hardly pay attention to their takes on games anymore.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I'm watching this right now and I'm honestly at a loss why is this slapped with the name Resident Evil.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe we should all just accept that the resident evil franchise never had a strong story or lore to begin with, and this is why we see movies and tv shows that fail to achieve anything good
Whats it like just putting out wrong takes like this? There is PLENTY there to make a compelling story out of every single main game (except 6 and CV).. I mean sure if you just speed run the game and don't read any of the lore in game then sure.

As I said in the OT sadly this does prove that Reddick was not a good pick for Wesker at all.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Why is it so hard to make a good live action resi movie, just copy the games and be done with it, with the exception of the resi 5 fight they tried to copy, that was crap.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017

I mean, of course it can still incorporate the lore from the games. That's exactly what it's doing, as I understand it, whilst carving its own niche. Whether or not it's successful at it, or ultimately really any good, is another thing.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Why use lore or story

Make a fun action movie like there was a vague attempt with the first movie and stop trying to make it seem like Resident Evil is anything else but a series of sci-fi B-Movies.

We need these kind of movies.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Why use lore or story

Make a fun action movie like there was a vague attempt with the first movie and stop trying to make it seem like Resident Evil is anything else but a series of sci-fi B-Movies.

We need these kind of movies.
So don't make Resident Evil is what your saying? So whats the point of using the name? Just make a horror miniseries for each game there is plenty there.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
Why couldn't they just make a 6 episode TV show based on the first game for the first season.

Why are they so fucking against this idea we went through all this bullshit with Alice in the other RE movies who I couldn't give to shits about,

Start EP1 with the Stars team in RPD and establish that place for a possible S2 RE2 adaptation.

This is great ep for character building show them doing other cases.
Meanwhile build up some dog attacks in the Arkley mountains don't show them though Keep them in the shadows.

Ep 2 begins with the team briefing for the arkley mountains investigation and then getting ready.
Middle of this episode plays out like the RE1 intro and ends with them reaching the mansion

Ep3-6 basically building each episode around sections of the game
You could have them deliberately get separated by wesker on purpose like him trapping Barry into a room that leads to the labs as a way to get him isolated.

There is plenty of shit you could do with a RE1 adaptation so this shit today with teenage daughters of wesker is like WTF who cares.