• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I'm in Canada. I hate Trump. During the election I saw far too many American friends and co-workers of mine vote Trump or for a third party.

It was like watching a grown man shoot himself in the chest and only now realize the gaping chest wound.

Also the past year and a half has made me appreciate even more my choice to volunteer in the last federal election and getting more involved politics in general.

How about you?

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
The more populated part of my province voted a Trump like asshole into power. So, not great on the political front. But politics are something I don't think about a lot, or at least try not to.

Miserable in general, but it is what it is.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Great. Going to the lake with my boat. Gonna go see my neice. I won 2 $500 spin and goes today for 1500 each. Eating KFC atm.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Stressed because an unstable maniac is leading the polls for the next election on my country and the alternatives to him aren't ideal either.

Deleted member 25709

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Could be better. I haven't slept well and this thread reminded me of Doug Ford as Premier of Ontario though, sigh.

Nov 2, 2017
Den Haag, Netherlands
Stressed. Low on money, working my back off for zero pay and studying at the same time. Applying for paid positions but it's so exhausting trying to sell myself while juggling everything else. Want a few days off. Can't.

avaya

Oct 25, 2017
London
The UK is a shitshow and will harm generations. The US news is horrible since it cements a similar fate for the US and by default will have very serious knock-on effects on the rest of the world.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Still a bit salty about Doug Ford's victory here in Ontario, but after 15 years of Liberal mediocrity, I suppose the pendulum was bound to swing at some point. Kind of worried for next year's election, Trudeau has been unspectacular and will have to try really hared to regain the support of all the leftists he pissed off.

Other than that I'm fine, just a confused millennial living in the moment.

Last edited:

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Canadian here.

I heard the news about the Supreme court, and after a while of reading and considering the possibilities of what's happening, I vomited in my bathroom.

I WAS doing okay, enjoying Ys 8 on switch, sad about other america issues, but moving forward, but now? I'm going to have a specter over me about all the poor people in america for quite a while...

I'm absolutely heartbroken. I'll recover and use this to help good causes in my country and donate to some american charities, but for now I weep for america's downtrodden.

sorry if this is a downer, Ys 8, despite localization issues I haven't gotten to yet, is a lot of fun.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
We just elected Doug Ford, so let me get back to you in a year or so... At least I'll be able to (legally) smoke my problems away in a few months!

But seriously, I'm feeling an immense of sorrow for all those downtrodden in America who are about to get absolutely fucked over (moreso) very soon. Truly the darkest timeline =(

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
All good, i'm going here with the bf this next weekend

canazei_perla_delle_dolomiti.jpg

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I'm American but don't live there. Pretty good, I should be asleep but the humidity here is like 86% and its hot lol.

ScandiNavy

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Norway
My "summer" has been one and a half months of rain, rain and low temperatures. I get easily brought down by grey conditions, so I feel like shit.
I fix my mood by going hiking, but my inspiration just isn't there when I look outside.
I want my sun, damnit!

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Politically, more things are going wrong than right. I suffer a bit by them, financially and job wise. The worst? I can't see how things can get better in the foreseeable future.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Seeing as our all engineers spend their entire undergraduate careers fetshizing silicon valley, come on right aboard! We're bleeding talent to the US IIRC, especially in terms of ECE/computer engineering and computer science.
Dope. Basically all of my undergrad. I think I'll tough out the 2 years of grad school and then make a move over.

Would Vancouver or Toronto be better for tech? Or is it a wash?

It's easier if you already have a job lined up tbh.

Does it help if I have Silicon Valley intern experience lol. I did 3.5 years of undergrad research and am going back East to get a masters so idk if that helps me any

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
I'm quite anxious about what Brexit means for my future so I'm too busy worrying about that to focus much on Trump.

The weather is gorgeous though, I'm healthier than I've ever been and getting back into exercise and I love my job; so I'm personally pretty good.

Gugi40

Mar 7, 2018
Canada
I am feeling grateful, that I live in the closest thing to a political paradise. I am planning a garage sale and have not started yet so my gratefulness is tinged with anxiety.

OP
OP
UnpopularBlargh
Oct 26, 2017
Dope. Basically all of my undergrad. I think I'll tough out the 2 years of grad school and then make a move over.

Does it help if I have Silicon Valley intern experience lol. I did 3.5 years of undergrad research and am going back East to get a masters so idk if that helps me any
Any North American based education/work experience is good experience tbh.

Toronto is the financial capital so you have a mix of everything there but apply everywhere and often. Also I'd personally add Montreal to the list of potential cities.

Last edited:

iseta

Jun 26, 2018
Jupiter
GREAT BECAUSE BRAZIL IS REKINDLING THE FLAME OF HOPE IN MY HEART I FUCKING LOVE WORLD CUP AND I INTEND TO PASS OUT DRUNK WHILE WATCHING SGDQ LATER

CYA NERDS (hope ya'll doing fine too)

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
German here. Pretty good - don't mind the world cup (they played like shit and deserved it). Hopefully tmr will be a good and productive day on my thesis.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I'm probably ill-informed on this at this moment (I was a computer science major but I switched) but I think it goes Toronto > Vancouver > Ottawa/Waterloo. Keep in mind that Vancouver is the most expensive, and Toronto while not the cheapest does have the advantage of being surrounded by cheaper alternatives in the GTA. Though depending from where exactly you are coming from, the commutes can be long. Also Toronto is just where everything seems to be, so that's always nice!

Waterloo is probably the cheapest and has a lot of startups thanks to isn't close proximity to the tech-focused University of Waterloo (as well as the infamous RIM... are they still a thing? I don't even know anymore) but the area itself is a boring suburb, about 2 hours away from downtown Toronto. Ottawa is good for both public and private sector work, not as boring as Waterloo but the allure of the countries capital (and assorted attractions) only really lasts a week-long vacation. Be warned however for public sector work, there is an increasing demand for speaking French though I don't know how important that is for the tech industry seeing how there is a high demand for tech talent. I'm biased as I live here, but my recommendation would be the greater Toronto area. Good opportunities, cheaper than Vancouver, and generally the center of Canadian commerce and entertainment.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canadian and worried the same Alt-Right infection will spread en mass to my country. My province elected our Trump into office.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I'm probably ill-informed on this at this moment (I was a computer science major but I switched) but I think it goes Toronto > Vancouver > Ottawa/Waterloo. Keep in mind that Vancouver is the most expensive, and Toronto while not the cheapest does have the advantage of being surrounded by cheaper alternatives in the GTA. Though depending from where exactly you are coming from, the commutes can be long. Also Toronto is just where everything seems to be, so that's always nice!

Waterloo is probably the cheapest and has a lot of startups thanks to isn't close proximity to the tech-focused University of Waterloo (as well as the infamous RIM... are they still a thing? I don't even know anymore) but the area itself is a boring suburb, about 2 hours away from downtown Toronto. Ottawa is good for both public and private sector work, not as boring as Waterloo but the allure of the countries capital (and assorted attractions) only really lasts a week-long vacation. Be warned however for public sector work, there is an increasing demand for speaking French though I don't know how important that is for the tech industry seeing how there is a high demand for tech talent. I'm biased as I live here, but my recommendation would be the greater Toronto area. Good opportunities, cheaper than Vancouver, and generally the center of Canadian commerce and entertainment.

Hmmm... guess I'll start looking at jobs and other opportunities up there in Toronto. It probably helps that I have some family there that would make the housing situation/transition easier, but tbh i'll probably end up visiting within the next two months or so. I like being in a city so I guess Toronto was always at the top of my list no matter what anyway lol.

As far as speaking french, lol. Maybe I should've studied abroad in France than Germany lmao. i have a working grasp on German but I'll see if I can take a class on French sometime over the next 2 years.

daboynem

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
by America you mean United States?
Because, you know, as Brazilian, I'm allowed to call myself american too.

Hope you don't sue me for that.
They took it from everyone dude Canadians aren't Americans either. We can have a good cry together
Canadian here.

I heard the news about the Supreme court, and after a while of reading and considering the possibilities of what's happening, I vomited in my bathroom.

I WAS doing okay, enjoying Ys 8 on switch, sad about other america issues, but moving forward, but now? I'm going to have a specter over me about all the poor people in america for quite a while...

I'm absolutely heartbroken. I'll recover and use this to help good causes in my country and donate to some american charities, but for now I weep for america's downtrodden.

sorry if this is a downer, Ys 8, despite localization issues I haven't gotten to yet, is a lot of fun.
WTF is this a copypasta

Gabora

Oct 25, 2017
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Brazilian here, our winter has, so far, been a major disappointment and not likely to get any better, the city also stinks because the air is so dry and the pollution cloud we share our lives with refuses to go away, so kind of depressed.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Disappointed in the world at large. I don't want to feel depressed, but frankly what is happening in the USA makes me incredibly bitter and genuinely scared of the future, as I am expecting the worst, and I'm afraid of what will happen in Europe now that the balance has been shattered thoroughly.

You have a duty to vote. Never again let something like this happen. Please.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm from the US and as such am entitled to voice my opinion: I'm doing great, OP. Trump being president dont phase me.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Work is boring i really just want to go back to school honestly, this summer can't end quickly enough

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
UK here and despite all the shit with the government and Brexit crap going off, I'm actually pretty well thanks for asking.

Can't let the bad stuff get you down, work hard and play hard, enjoy life while you can. :)

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
UK, and I think we've got it every bit as bad as Trump. That dude is out of there in two and a half years, you're nearly half way through, we've not going to unfuck up Brexit.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Shocked at the overnight World Cup results.

Can't believe Germany is out!

Mexico would have been shaking in their boots at the result.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Personally not too bad.

I'm honestly really worried about America over the next five years or so though.

GrimJawz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Pretty ok here honestly, works been slow lately but I can't complain. the weather's been pretty weird bouncing from one extreme to the other, going from like 30c to frost on the lawn the next morning is surprisingly rough on one's body.