LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
youtu.be

DualSense Edge Teardown - Inside Sony's first Pro Controller

Launch day for Sony's first Pro Controller, and i've disassembled it to see what tech and engineering went into such an expensive controller. It's pretty imp...
www.youtube.com

DualSense Edge Adaptive Trigger Teardown

I disassembled Sony's first Pro Controller, the DualSense Edge. Now we take a closer look at the adaptive trigger, and how it differs to the original.I'm sur...

Pictures of internals alongside battery and trigger comparisons with regular DualSense:
xCsv7Rl.png

IKS7DOK.png

mzetpxA.png

G7a4Fn9.png

Last edited:

FeenixRisen

McDonalds looks really average next to Wendys
Oct 25, 2017
Sony must've been smoking dust with that battery, jeez.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been modifying my Dualsense controllers a lot lately and hot damn this thing looks appreciably more complex. Opening one of these to modify it is a scary prospect lol.

OP
OP
LightKiosk

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Jeez that battery difference. Like two thirds capacity...
Yeah it explains the cut to battery life and looking at the internals I can't see where they could've fit a larger one. The rear paddle mechanism and the 3-way trigger mechanism lock cuts the battery housing almost in half compared to the regular DualSense.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'll go ahead and guess space constraints? Maybe someone more experienced in the matter can enlighten us, but given the disassembled picture it looks a tad hard to fit the other battery properly?

Oh it's 100% a size constraint issue. Just given that the stock DS battery life is already pretty bad this is probably a deal breaker for many.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This is....something. We were just talking about this in the Edge pre order thread.

I actually learned something new today. I always assumed that number on the back of the controller was the battery size.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
This reeks of "we don't want to noticeably change the profile" and so they ended up with a more complicated controller that's got nastier internals and less room for battery. I mean if it doesn't drop a ton then it means they maybe made the haptics more efficient, but man rumble is so expensive on the battery.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Lol that tiny battery. They should have made a hump at the back of the controller and put in a larger battery than the original. Not buying this.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
If the battery life was even just marginally better I would've been down to pick this up, there is not a universe in which I'm paying 200% more for the premium version of a controller lasting less time on a charge.

Last edited:

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
It comes with a very long and of very very good quality cable.
One of my original Dualsense controllers randomly stopped charging entirely from the top port no matter what cable I used, had to buy the charging dock so I could use the bottom of the controller to juice it up.

Bad luck I know but too many problems with Sony controllers lately

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'll go ahead and guess space constraints? Maybe someone more experienced in the matter can enlighten us, but given the disassembled picture it looks a tad hard to fit the other battery properly?
It has to be, probably to make room for the modular sticks. Honestly, I wouldn't mind ditching those in favor of including hall effect sticks from the start if it means more room for a larger battery.

Funkelpop

Banned
Sep 2, 2022
Well if it's for competitive purposes then I guess battery life wont matter, since you'll be wired anyway. Even Sony knows this and finally provided an actually longer charging cord. I remember how the PS3 and PS4 charging cords were so short lol.

Oct 27, 2017
100% a space constraint. The addition of the mechanisms for the trigger stops and removable sticks( I would say the removable sticks are the main culprits) while still having the same overall size as the regular Dualsense that is still compatible with accessories like the charging stand means having to remove volume somewhere else which, unfortunately, means the battery in this case.
This is the regular Dualsense for comparison.

eLQUaWaTxpN4JIWt.medium

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I thought it was the same battery and they couldn't fit a bigger one due to the size constraints. Didn't expect that.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
That is an immensely packed controller. The engineering in that thing is nuts. I hate the smaller battery life but there is literally no room for a bigger one. If I get one, I'll probably end up using it wired.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
This reeks of "we don't want to noticeably change the profile" and so they ended up with a more complicated controller that's got nastier internals and less room for battery. I mean if it doesn't drop a ton then it means they maybe made the haptics more efficient, but man rumble is so expensive on the battery.

Well yeah, it wouldn't work with docks, etc otherwise.

OP
OP
LightKiosk

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also, I kind of wish they would've just licensed hall effect sensors from GuliKit, like 8bitdo has done, instead of making the battery smaller to fit in replaceable sticks in case it drifts.
That wouldn't have done anything as the replaceable sticks aren't the reason why they can't fit a larger battery in. It's a combination of the trigger mechanism being substantially larger with the 3-way stops (added comparison to OP) and the rear paddle mechanism that's cutting into where the battery sits.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Gene park said 4 hours of play from his one.
That really is pretty rubbish

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Battery issue is space to fit into the controller and could weight be an issue? They don't want to give a pro player a HEAVY controller, no?

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Gene park said 4 hours of play from his one.
That really is pretty rubbish
Sigh.

Okay, which games? What rumble settings? Every time someone says "I get so few hours" there are so many factors with this, different games have different battery use. I get a lot less battery time on Genshin Impact versus Destiny, because I have rumble turned off in Destiny but leave it on for Genshin. And neither game uses the touchpad for swiping, so that's not hitting the battery either.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Sigh.

Okay, which games? What rumble settings? Every time someone says "I get so few hours" there are so many factors with this, different games have different battery use. I get a lot less battery time on Genshin Impact versus Destiny, because I have rumble turned off in Destiny but leave it on for Genshin. And neither game uses the touchpad for swiping, so that's not hitting the battery either.

I mean people shouldn't have to account for not using core features of the controller to get decent battery life. Normal play using the normal features of the controller giving 4 hours is a more useful metric than a game that happens to use any of the features tbh.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Sigh.

it holds 33% less energy than the standard one , so it will last 33% less than the standard pad.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Jest like smartphones, the more stuff you cram inside it, the smaller the battery gets

mullah88

Oct 28, 2017
That's why they added the cables and the lock, will definitely be using wired then if it's an issue

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
I mean people shouldn't have to account for not using core features of the controller to get decent battery life. Normal play using the normal features of the controller giving 4 hours is a more useful metric than a game that happens to use any of the features tbh.
I'm not saying you shouldn't use them specifically to save battery, but different games will affect the battery life differently. The only way a measure of getting, say, 6 hours versus 4 hours (what we expect from this) is if they're always playing the same game(s) with around the same amount of time with the same approximate battery usage. Which brings me to...
it holds 33% less energy than the standard one , so it will last 33% less than the standard pad.
All I'm wondering is if they found any way whatsoever to make the thing more efficient, it might offset the smaller battery.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I guess If they did it wired only for 20-40 bucks cheaper I bet that the complains would be: "A pro controller not being wireless!?"

The same goes for it being bigger: "Why this doesn't work on my charging stand!?"

Deleted member 106050

Nov 26, 2021
I think I'll keep mine wired. My PS5 is right next to my monitor on my desk, so no biggie.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Yes the battery is smaller but look at how damn complex this thing is on the inside. They had a decision on whether to keep the footprint of the original DualSense or make it even bigger which would mean old docks wouldn't work and the feel would be different in the hands.

JBoogieG

Aug 2, 2022
SW Virginia
All I'm wondering is if they found any way whatsoever to make the thing more efficient, it might offset the smaller battery.
Sony coming out themselves when previews were going on and telling people that the battery life is going to be shorter than the regular Dual Sense kinda knocks down any hope that they made a smaller battery 'more efficient'. That just does not mesh.

Dec 3, 2022
sony's insistence on cramming shit into their controllers at the cost of battery life for the last couple of generations is a pain in the ass. at least the ps5 haptic stuff is pretty cool compared to the touchpad and the stupid light on the ds4, but I have a hard time believing that when I look back at my favorite games of this generation that controller gimmicks will be something I remember

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
You have to be passionate about engineering to go through all of that. Someone couldn't pay me to do so.. Geez!