Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
i like how its automatically assumed its "theft" and not accidental human error when things aren't scanned at self checkout.
Theft is more common than human error by a pretty big margin, but how big probably depends a lot on the store and the area. The store I was in was in a relatively upscale area and I still saw significantly more intentional theft than mistakes.

Plus human error goes both ways and kind of washes out. People do sometimes double scan and don't catch it, then overpay. The only thing theft evens out with is the money the companies are trying to save by employing fewer cashiers. It's a bad tradeoff, self checkouts are just all-around worse for everyone, and they should really go back to only having a few available for small purchases instead of being the primary means of checking out.

TaxiDriver

Oct 30, 2017
Love self checkout in the UK, seems to reduce the queue time a lot. Plus the cashier-checkout has got worse. recently

They used to pack your groceries as they scan and while you are loading your groceries on the conveyor belt. But now they wait till you have loaded everything on then you bag your items yourself. Makes sense since bags cost money people need to pack efficiently.

Quinton

Staff Writer at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
All I ever think is how awful it has to be for the one (1) human cashier whose line is an endless cacophony of complaints that they're the only cashier, which leads to further outrage that the person isn't scanning items at Warp 9.1 or faster.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
I have never understood people using self-checkout as an example of automation or AI.

It's not like the amount of human labor involved has decreased. It's just that most of it is now unpaid.

It did decrease though if you think of it that way. Because before it required a cashier (paid) and a customer (unpaid) now it requires a customer only (unpaid). Standing there and picking your purchases is also labor.

And automation is done to decrease costs, not necessarily labor. Some automation is simply to allow less skilled labor to do the same job adequately (and be paid less accordingly).

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
There are some stores where I like their self-checkout because it's quick and painless. There are other stores where I loathe their systems because it's a pain and always makes me call for a worker. There are a few stores that had great working systems that updated them and they got slightly worse when using your own bag (which is the expected behaviour since plastic bags are banned and you have to ask a worker if you want to buy a reusable bag).

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
i like how its automatically assumed its "theft" and not accidental human error when things aren't scanned at self checkout.

Huh? They clearly point out both in the article:

But self-checkouts have contributed to increased "shrink"—an industry term used to describe losses from theft, lost inventory or damaged goods—because shoppers make mistakes or steal. Retailers, hesitant to spend more on staffing, are deciding if they prefer to reduce labor costs or combat shrink.

About a fifth of people who used self-checkouts said they accidentally took an item without paying for it, according to a survey of 2,000 shoppers last year by LendingTree. Some 15% of self-checkout users admitted to stealing an item on purpose.

Droopy_McCool

Dec 13, 2023
My local Aldi has one employee manned checkout and the rest are self checkout. I actually don't mind aldis self checkout, never have an issue with them. Kroger on the other hand are awful, constantly have it yelling at me to check the bagging area and then not letting me do anything until an employee comes to clear it

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
In the UK and use self service exclusively unless I'm paying with cash which is rare (usually built up pub or takeaway change) or I have to grab tobacco. I have rarely had a problem and if I have it's been at Aldi and it hasn't deducted the discount from something reduced. No issues with any of the other supermarkets.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
I love using self checkout when it's not a problem to do it. Going to Target too early in the day it's not open, Wal-Mart is almost only shelf-checkout now - like, they legit replaced ALL of them but 2 or 3 lanes with the bigger ones they use at the WM Neighborhood Market.

HEB... we only have one HEB near me that does the Scan & G system and I LOVE the thing because not only do I check myself out, I'm scanning my stuff as I shop so when I go to checkout it's just checking the basket automatically, then I pay and grab my crap. I can stick canvas or whatever bags into the cart, load them up as I shop, pick em up and leave when I've paid. The only caveat is that I have to restart the whole order to remove a specific item. I can reduce the number if I double boop or something but if I change my mind which one I'm getting I have to cancel the order and rescan my other stuff.

But as someone who hates most basic human interaction, I love self checkouts.
Kinda this, yeah. I'm not antisocial, but I am a bit asocial at times and when I'm grocery shopping is usually the most specific time. Don't get me started on going to Costco (which I love) because when it's busy it's packed and a lot of the people at the one I go to tend to be rude and/or slow. I also preferred to just use their self-checkout but people abusing the system and using other people's accounts made them have those be manned, as well.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
the new thing where the self checkouts try to flag people for stealing has made me just want to go to a register lately.

You get stuck standing there, as the machine is calling you a thief. You wait 3 minutes for the single person in charge of 10 registers to finish helping some technology adverse person ring up bananas, so they can come by you to look at the screen with a puzzled expression, trying to understand what the machine thinks you did.

The fear of someone stealing some Chips Ahoy is making the checkout experience miserable.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
We still have a mix at my local Walmarts but there's only like 3 check out lanes. Target seems to still be mostly self checkout too.

Sometimes when I buy a lot of shit I'd rather someone else scan and bag.

Sometimes when I got a few things or shit the smug ass employees don't need to see, like adult intimacy shit, then I go self checkout.

Lys Skygge

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I've always thought that self checkouts should have an item limit. I also welcome having more available cashiers

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
I can't stand making conversation with people so i use them almost exclusively.

I will say though, i hate that's it's an entire generation of after school teenager jobs that have disappeared.

Additionally, i find them very frustrating.
They're really slow.
Card only machine, and i still have to select that I'm paying by card. Wait for it to load the rewards card option, select no rewards card. Wait for it to go to card payment. Wait for it to load the EFT machine. Pay by card. Wait for it to approve the payment. Wait for it to ask if i want a receipt. Decline the receipt. Wait for it to confirm my transaction. Leave.
I wish the computer was as fast as me...

Still, better than having to make conversation with people...

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I've only seen them expanding here in Seattle. Lot of stores just added security guards that look like cops at the exits "checking receipts."

There's like 3 lanes of 6 machines open all the time at the Fred Meyer by my house (Kroger.). And the nice local place (featured on Top chef season 10!) just added 12 up from 4, still have plenty of registers open.

I don't shop at Walmart or Target or anything like that though.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I think because of this we'll see them go back up eventually, I feel like social interactions are something more and more people coming up are struggling with or don't like. Things like getting a haircut, or taking an Uber, or answering a phone call seems to make more and more people uncomfortable.

sophora

Oct 29, 2017
Funny these sort of sentiment popping up when I see a couple retailers near me installed new self-checkouts. I prefer doing self-checkouts, I'd rather not deal with small talk from a cashier about stuff I'm buying.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
What about the incredible sense of accomplishment some of us get from scanning those bad boys ourselves?

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
I like self-checkout but in my opinion people with 15+ items should never have been allowed to use them in the first place. It should be an express lane.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I just assumed that they accounted for theft when they installed the machines. Like you don't want to pay labor so you put the machines in with the understanding that without human supervision you're going to have theft.

I usually have a small order so the self-checkout is what I usually use. If I have something with a tag or a question about something I'll go through the regular checkout.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
like half of them are closed at the target near me
target is the worst from the places I go to. half are closed and then they'll have 1 register open. the line to self checkout stretches long too

I'm fine with some small talk so I'm cool with going to a cashier, but if they only have 1 or 2 available then the whole experience turns to shit

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Most "shrink" happens because employees are overworked.

This is horse shit you can't really believe. Retail is notoriously anal about no overtime across the board. An employee can't do shit when someone with a cart full of meat walks right on by them out the doors. Theft happens because thieves know they can get away with it and has fuck all to do with the employees scheduled 26 hours that week

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Self check outs are great when you have 1-5 items. Anything over, and just give me a person to do it.

Oct 28, 2017
A local store, 5 Below and they switched to self check out only a few years ago. I went a couple weeks a ago and they have a cashier working the self-checkout. It's still formatted for the customer but the person does it for you. It's weird.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
Kinda surprised tbh. If anything it's going stronger than ever in the UK. We've even been shifting to a scan and go system instead where you grab a scanner on the way in, do all the items as you round and scan the qr code at the till and pay.

It's pretty damn handy tbh. You can remove items without calling staff unlike the checkouts, so you can use it to price check if needed and it saves a bit of time since i just bag it in the trolley as I go.

Packing stuff into the trolley to take them out of the trolley to put them back in the trolley again to pack them in your boot, to get them individually out of bags at home seems absolutely mad to me compared to "Put item straight from shelf to a box it will not leave until your kitchen".

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
Never work for a company that doesn't pay you.
Yes i will. Its a huge benefit to me. Its so convenient that i would pay them extra to do it if it was the only option. Im not doing it for them. Fuck them. Im doing it for me.

I could just as well say dont let companies waste your time which is more valuable than money.

Also you could say that about so many things. Resetera was sold for a couple of million. It's only value is us and the content we put out. Why are you working for resetera for free?

ArchStanton

Oct 29, 2017
I hate self-checkout. I'm not shopping at your store to do work for your company.

Hire more humans, for Christ's sake.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you could defeat manned checkouts just as easily at a lot of stores. Sounds like they're barking up the wrong tree to me.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
judge me over how many different microwavable mac and cheeses I'm buying tonight. Shut up, teenage cashier, you don't know my life.
Yeah seriously. I completely stopped going to Trader Joe's over it. I get that management tells them they have to be chatty. But I don't want to hear, "Wow. Bread, cheese, and butter chicken. Eating healthy huh?", every time I buy food.

CosmicCrouton

Jul 12, 2023
Target in my area has become awful I now avoid it.
Everything is locked up behind glass so you have to call someone to open it for you, that's a long wait because there's ever only like 2 people on the floor, then they closed their self checkout entirely which I actually liked, now they have endless lines because again they only have 1-3 registers open at any given time out of a total of like 16.
Even if you do online order with in-store pickup there's only 1 person at the pickup spot and it's a long wait.
I remember working there in 2008 and there were SO many employees.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I feel like you could defeat manned checkouts just as easily at a lot of stores. Sounds like they're barking up the wrong tree to me.

I think it's the accidental theft that they're looking to prevent. People looking to steal shit are still going to steal shit.

It wouldn't surprise me if my local grocery store takes out their self checkouts, and instead relies on pickups and deliveries for growth. Probably expand the pickup section to where the self checkout section is now.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Been a few times i accidentally walked out a store without paying for some smaller items after forgetting to scan them at self checkout.…

Last edited:

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Our Target closes the self-checkouts down each evening around 7pm, but still only keep one register open and the CS desk is empty as well so returns and online orders are waiting, so they get huge lines and then act all "Oh sorry, we just don't have enough people scheduled to open up more stuff. Thanks for your patience!" Naturally I've stopped going there during the week even if I might really need something.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
A local store, 5 Below and they switched to self check out only a few years ago. I went a couple weeks a ago and they have a cashier working the self-checkout. It's still formatted for the customer but the person does it for you. It's weird.
Costco used to do this and it was the best.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
I don't get this. I'm also averse to talking to people I don't know but I'd much rather interact with someone than scan and bag everything myself. They know how to quickly and efficiently scan items and then I can focus on bagging if they don't have someone doing that.

I hate self checkout in large stores. I can tolerate it at CVS or Walgreens but not when I'm buying a large quantity of groceries.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
My target opened more lanes up, but staffed them with the slowest folks imaginable. I think that is their passive way to say "see look how much better self checkout is!"

There's an only self checkout target near me and they have like 4 staff manning them in case anyone that has trouble using the self checkout, like they're just standing there. The whole time I'm thinking, why aren't you having them working an actual checkout instead of hovering around people?

Atlas_XIX

Oct 29, 2017
I only like self checkout when I have like 3 items, anymore than that then I start to resent that they made me an unpaid employee and I'm an antisocial person.