Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I own this - the RCA inputs can be stupidly finicky, but I'm guessing if you have it in an easily accessible location that doesn't get a lot of movement, it'll be fine. Gravity is also not your friend with this switch - the RCA jacks will come loose.

For me, seems like I have to troubleshoot an input almost every time I use it.

If it could figure out a more stable/solid input method, this would be a great device otherwise!

thank you for the info. I appreciate it. I decided to get a second 3 input switch to piggyback, which will give me the 5 total I need.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chitown B As another option, if you ever see a extron crosspoint for cheap locally, I would sell off your switches and replace it with that(assuming you are break even or make a bit off the difference). You would need some RCA to BNC adapters and phoenix connectors for the audio but the build quality is superb. The only real downside in my eyes is that they are fairly big devices.

Vertigo1

Jun 30, 2023
RetroTINK 4K goes back in stock in 20 minutes!

www.retrotink.com

RetroTINK-4K | RetroTINK

Restock on May 18th, 1PM Pacific Time! Orders will be shipped in roughly the order in which they are placed. We expect to finish fufillment on or before June 30th.We kindly ask that you be patient and refrain from order status inquires until after June 30th as they only slow down the shipping...

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
RetroTINK 4K goes back in stock in 20 minutes!

www.retrotink.com

RetroTINK-4K | RetroTINK

Restock on May 18th, 1PM Pacific Time! Orders will be shipped in roughly the order in which they are placed. We expect to finish fufillment on or before June 30th.We kindly ask that you be patient and refrain from order status inquires until after June 30th as they only slow down the shipping...

I'm still saving up. 🥺

Wonder when the next batch will be.

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I got a Tink 4K ordered and it's already shipped. I'm pretty sure they still have some in stock or at least they did last night.

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
Any USB C power supplies you guys recommend for the RT4K? Preferably an all-in-one.
Anker's power supplies seem to be the most recommended as well as being what I use. Just make sure it's one that can do 5V/2A and you should be fine.

I got a Tink 4K ordered and it's already shipped. I'm pretty sure they still have some in stock or at least they did last night.
Indeed, it looks like they're still available. Glad to see stock is finally catching up with demand.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mad tempted to grab one by applying for the 4-payment option in PayPal but I keep stopping myself saying that's silly, just save up for the next batch.

ploonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping to borrow the community's knowledge for an issue I'm having because I'm stuck…

While testing my RT4K, I noticed my subwoofer making distorted sounds, following with intermittent pops. This was while playing Windwaker on GCN. Tried to isolate the issue by swapping out to RetroTink5X, plugging direct to TV, different HDMI ports & cables, tried composite analog cables, tried different GameCubes, different GCN power supplies. Tried resetting my soundbar settings. Tried changing the audio format from Bitstream to PCM. Different audio modes on the soundbar. Adjusting woofer channel levels. But the popping persisted.

Today I got the idea to try hooking up a Wii using the Windwaker GCN disc. No popping! But what the heck could it be then?

Here's a video, the pop at the end is a little hard to hear but you can hear the distorted bass right before it.

View: https://streamable.com/c8ki6j

Hoping to borrow the community's knowledge for an issue I'm having because I'm stuck…

While testing my RT4K, I noticed my subwoofer making distorted sounds, following with intermittent pops. This was while playing Windwaker on GCN. Tried to isolate the issue by swapping out to RetroTink5X, plugging direct to TV, different HDMI ports & cables, tried composite analog cables, tried different GameCubes, different GCN power supplies. Tried resetting my soundbar settings. Tried changing the audio format from Bitstream to PCM. Different audio modes on the soundbar. Adjusting woofer channel levels. But the popping persisted.

Today I got the idea to try hooking up a Wii using the Windwaker GCN disc. No popping! But what the heck could it be then?

Here's a video, the pop at the end is a little hard to hear but you can hear the distorted bass right before it.

View: https://streamable.com/c8ki6j

Is this just by using the RCA inputs?
What is your cable setup on your GameCube?

And has this ever happened before with your current setup, or did it just happen when you switched over to the RT4k initially?

I'm a bit unfamiliar with how soundbars hook up to audio, but I assume they're self-powered with inputs contained on the back.

ploonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Is this just by using the RCA inputs?
What is your cable setup on your GameCube?

And has this ever happened before with your current setup, or did it just happen when you switched over to the RT4k initially?

I'm a bit unfamiliar with how soundbars hook up to audio, but I assume they're self-powered with inputs contained on the back.

The soundbar setup is it connects to HDMI 2 (eARC) port on my LG C1. The subwoofer is connected wirelessly to the soundbar. Despite the wireless connection, I've never heard distortion before the last week, and so far I can't reproduce it with hardware outside of GameCube.

The combos I've tried that lead to distortion:

1) GameCube #1 with EON GCHD to RT4K via HDMI
2) GCN #1 with Carby to RT4K via HDMI
3) GCN #1 with Carby direct to TV
4) GCN #1 with composite cable to RT4K
5) GCN #2 with Carby to RT4K via HDMI
6) GCN #1 with Carby to RT4K via HDMI powered by GCN #3's power supply.

I also tried combo 2 with the RT4K going through HDMI 3 on the TV instead of HDMI 4. Tried turning off any sort of audio processing on the soundbar. Tried changing the TV's audio format for the HDMI input from Bitstream to PCM. But none of that worked.

I guess it's also worth mentioning GCN #1 doesn't have an optical drive, it uses GC Loader. But GCN #2 does have an OEM optical drive.

One combo I've been meaning to try is EON GCHD with Wii component cables to RT4K.

The soundbar setup is it connects to HDMI 2 (eARC) port on my LG C1. The subwoofer is connected wirelessly to the soundbar. Despite the wireless connection, I've never heard distortion before the last week, and so far I can't reproduce it with hardware outside of GameCube.

The combos I've tried that lead to distortion:

1) GameCube #1 with EON GCHD to RT4K via HDMI
2) GCN #1 with Carby to RT4K via HDMI
3) GCN #1 with Carby direct to TV
4) GCN #1 with composite cable to RT4K
5) GCN #2 with Carby to RT4K via HDMI
6) GCN #1 with Carby to RT4K via HDMI powered by GCN #3's power supply.

I also tried combo 2 with the RT4K going through HDMI 3 on the TV instead of HDMI 4. Tried turning off any sort of audio processing on the soundbar. Tried changing the TV's audio format for the HDMI input from Bitstream to PCM. But none of that worked.

I guess it's also worth mentioning GCN #1 doesn't have an optical drive, it uses GC Loader. But GCN #2 does have an OEM optical drive.

One combo I've been meaning to try is EON GCHD with Wii component cables to RT4K.

Hm, and this is just with Wind Waker set to Surround or with all games? If you play with Surround settings off, does the problem persist?

Could be that the Dolby Surround encoding is causing some issues. Or the encoding on Wind Waker might just have an awkward bass frequency that causes it to malfunction.

Also, since it's wireless, do you happen to have a lot of wireless interference close by? I don't think this is the problem, since the problem only happens with one source, but who knows.

If nothing else, try testing different combinations of settings on your soundbar/TV to see if anything can help!

My current guess is that, for some reason, the GC hardware/settings just isn't playing well with the settings. No idea how/why, since I've never heard of GC hardware being particularly different.

ploonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, and this is just with Wind Waker set to Surround or with all games? If you play with Surround settings off, does the problem persist?

Could be that the Dolby Surround encoding is causing some issues. Or the encoding on Wind Waker might just have an awkward bass frequency that causes it to malfunction.

Also, since it's wireless, do you happen to have a lot of wireless interference close by? I don't think this is the problem, since the problem only happens with one source, but who knows.

If nothing else, try testing different combinations of settings on your soundbar/TV to see if anything can help!

My current guess is that, for some reason, the GC hardware/settings just isn't playing well with the settings. No idea how/why, since I've never heard of GC hardware being particularly different.

Yeah I tried toggling the audio in-game as well and it's across all audio modes in-game, in TV settings and in soundbar settings.

FWIW, I can't get the exact same kind of distortion in Super Mario Sunshine, but I do get subwoofer pops in those FLUDD-less levels. It's really bizarre.

I live in an apartment complex where there's no shortage of radio interference. My devices can pickup like 30 SSIDs but I don't think that's it because as you point out. It's happening with just one type of hardware source.

I must've put 75 hours into FF7 Rebirth in May, and never heard a single audio issue.