• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Sony trinitron kv-m1400u. How do you get to the service menu? I want to remove the black bars see pic below. Googled it so many different answers. Please help.

Bit of a late reply but just incase you're still scratching your head. From my own experience, 14 inch Sony TVs don't usually have a service menu. I found the service manual for your model and there's no code for a service menu, it suggests all the geometry is controlled by pots on the chassis. Full electronic geometry control is usually only on 21 inchers plus.

Wachenroder

Oct 29, 2017
oh daaaang! I found the cool thread of cool gamers!

question, are monoprice's cables good?

they have S-Video and Composite cables for Wii; and I need S-Video to play Lords of Thunder on my TV

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5689
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5691

monoprice are a trusted people, but these cables are so cheap I worry if it's too good to be true!!!

im sure those are fine. monoprice makes decent stuff.

like said above, and from what i understand, you do want to avoid S-Video cables that also have composite lines built in because it can cause signal issues. What im told is the signal can bounce back to the composite line and cause some kind of issue. i dont know if its true.

i personally havent had any bad experiences using S-video/composite cables but i have heard people have had issues.

also don't worry too much about the price of the cables youre getting. I have great cables OEM/Monster/Psyclone etc.... and i also have cheap Chinese knock offs.

They are comparable and for example, in the case of Monster XBOX cables, the Chinese knock offs are actually better. The only thing i'd be careful with is RGB SCART because its such an intricate cable type.....and even then, i have both higher quality and cheap Chinese and youd be surprised how often then Chinese ones are still decent.

Although with the Chinese ones you rarely get good shielding so if you need that then stay away from those.

As for RCA and S-Video? Dont worry about it.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the fireplace loves cropped mode, hates tank controls and doesn't like resident evil =)

black-guy-gif-star-trek.gif

Oct 26, 2017
Sold my overly complicated Pioneer Elite AVR (VSX 74TXVi) I was using in my retro setup (I was only using audio anyway because all the video stuff was going into switchers then straight to the BVM) and switched back to my trusty little Sony AVR (STR-DE197) that just does stereo audio and it feels so right.

So glad this place exists no one understands my lunacy except you people.

Oct 26, 2017
Congrats! I am not so happy with the scanlines I am attempting with it, but overall more than happy with the device.

The jailbreak is amazing but cant for the life of me figure out how to adjust settings on different cores. Neither do I understand what buttons to push to save a game.

Eh! I'm running RGB out of it into a BVM so I can't comment on a lot of the digital video features. And the jailbreak is amazing but frankly I haven't been able to get any of the other cores to work? :-/

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Eh! I'm running RGB out of it into a BVM so I can't comment on a lot of the digital video features. And the jailbreak is amazing but frankly I haven't been able to get any of the other cores to work? :-/

That explains why it looked so good and authentic! I hope to also get a chance to use a PVM in the future :(

With the cores you need to get the right bios into the bios folder. Kevtris has instructions in that very same folder on what to rename them as. I could share them with you through PM if you want or the places I got them from.

However I have only added the bios of Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, SMS and Game Gear because I have little interest in pre nes gaming.

Oct 26, 2017
That explains why it looked so good and authentic! I hope to also get a chance to use a PVM in the future :(

With the cores you need to get the right bios into the bios folder. Kevtris has instructions in that very same folder on what to rename them as. I could share them with you through PM if you want or the places I got them from.

However I have only added the bios of Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, SMS and Game Gear because I have little interest in pre nes gaming.

That's a start! I thought the SmokeMonster kit would take care of that for me but apparently not quite. Haha.

Oct 26, 2017
HEY EVERYBODY what are we doing for Dreamcast RGB SCART cables? RGC and RCA don't make any yet, and all of the options on eBay seem to be from Hong Kong or Taiwan, which isn't necessarily bad but I'm a little wary about build quality. Also most of them have a composite video out box inline on the cable which makes me worry that maybe it's just sending composite video over a SCART connector instead of RGB, and there's no way in hell they carry properly shielded CSYNC. I've been going VGA out of my Dreamcast so far, but I wanted to use it on my BVM with the rest of the retro setup to have one less thing in the living room, but this is turning out to be more complicated than I bargained for. Haha.

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
HEY EVERYBODY what are we doing for Dreamcast RGB SCART cables? RGC and RCA don't make any yet, and all of the options on eBay seem to be from Hong Kong or Taiwan, which isn't necessarily bad but I'm a little wary about build quality. Also most of them have a composite video out box inline on the cable which makes me worry that maybe it's just sending composite video over a SCART connector instead of RGB, and there's no way in hell they carry properly shielded CSYNC. I've been going VGA out of my Dreamcast so far, but I wanted to use it on my BVM with the rest of the retro setup to have one less thing in the living room, but this is turning out to be more complicated than I bargained for. Haha.

Problem is with the dreamcast is that only a very tiny fraction of the game library output in 240p - and even those need a specific version and/or button config to enable. You're otherwise stuck with minimum 480i....which isn't really that pleasant on a CRT in my opinion.

Also there's the fact that a wide range of Dreamcast games don't even have RGB output support! Which is insane.

Until there's a way to force 240p in Dreamcast games, 480p via VGA is by far the best option considering that every single game has been patched to enable it.

Last edited:

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
Aw man. Maybe the Dreamcast goes back in the living room then. :P

Yep...it's the only console of mine that isnt hooked up via RGB to my JVC CRT (instead it's VGA right into my OSSC).

It's a shame as a lot of the games on it would look fantastic in 240p. The GameCube has the functionality via Swiss so it's a bit annoying there's no DC equivalent.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Behar Bros' Toro box can combine the sync in RGBHV for VGA from Dreamcast into RGBS for SCART. You can plug a regular ass SCART cable into it. If you need it to output 240p from non 240p games you're SOL though.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any opinions on this TV? Toshiba 14AF42

I found one for sale locally for $50 and thinking about picking it up as a backup/alternative to a Sony KV-27FS100 that I already have. Worth it?

Wachenroder

Oct 29, 2017
Problem is with the dreamcast is that only a very tiny fraction of the game library output in 240p - and even those need a specific version and/or button config to enable. You're otherwise stuck with minimum 480i....which isn't really that pleasant on a CRT in my opinion.

Also there's the fact that a wide range of Dreamcast games don't even have RGB output support! Which is insane.

Until there's a way to force 240p in Dreamcast games, 480p via VGA is by far the best option considering that every single game has been patched to enable it.

what? 480i is fine. i mean its definitely no 240p but its no reason to skip RGB all together. 480i look damn good on my PVM

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Framemeister does a great job at deinterlacing 480i so I don't have that big of an issue with 480i either. More res is more res. It's a good thing in my book.

Oct 26, 2017
Any opinions on this TV? Toshiba 14AF42

I found one for sale locally for $50 and thinking about picking it up as a backup/alternative to a Sony KV-27FS100 that I already have. Worth it?

No way, man. That's way too much. Honestly paying anything at all for a tv like that seems weird at this point.

what? 480i is fine. i mean its definitely no 240p but its no reason to skip RGB all together. 480i look damn good on my PVM

That's what I was thinking. I don't mind dealing with 480i. I have no idea why someone would just assume I'm trying to force 240p, that sounds like way more of a headache than it's worth.

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
Well, the flickering that 480i introduces gives me a real fucking bad headache. That's just my personal experience - it always has been.

Edit: To elaborate, the only time I've ever experienced an epileptic episode is under two circumstances - one, playing GameCube on a crt a couple of years back, and two, when using a GBA LCD filter on Retroarch. Not pleasant.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Oct 29, 2017
Well, the flickering that 480i introduces gives me a real fucking bad headache. That's just my personal experience - it always has been.

Edit: To elaborate, the only time I've ever experienced an epileptic episode is under two circumstances - one, playing GameCube on a crt a couple of years back, and two, when using a GBA LCD filter on Retroarch. Not pleasant.

oh i see. so you have uniquely bad experience with interlace so you want to deprive the world eh?

im on to you

this has got to be a nerdy super villain origin story waiting tto be written lol ....hell who am i kidding id watch it

llaannccee

Oct 28, 2017
Bit of a late reply but just incase you're still scratching your head. From my own experience, 14 inch Sony TVs don't usually have a service menu. I found the service manual for your model and there's no code for a service menu, it suggests all the geometry is controlled by pots on the chassis. Full electronic geometry control is usually only on 21 inchers plus.

Thanks for the help. I can live with the black bars.

Do you guys leave your crt powered and on standby? Or switch off at the wall? Powering on a old crt seems like a kiss of death everytime.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
So stoked, over the past month i just got a bunch of awesome (100% working) consoles around town at thrift stores/goodwill

Snes - 15$
Ps1 - 10$
Ps2 - 15$
Og xbox 9$

Ive been building up my collection more and more lately for my daughter (shes 3)

i want her to have an appreciation of all the amazing consoles i grew up with!

I have an awesome 27" dynaflat samsung CRT with component inputs all ready to go, just need a few retrovision cables for the snes's (i have 2 total) and Have to figure out the cables ill need for the ps1... (og xbox and ps2 have component cables right?)

Also, does anyone have any idea where i can fine optimal setting for my tv? (Websites or forums for older tvs) Ill grab the model name when i get home over the weekend... but i fucked with the secret service code settings (gave me more options for vertical and horizontal scaling/stretching/skewing) because theres a weird "wobble" in vertical scrolling that i cant figure out how to correct, its like the screen is stretched or skewed weirdly... causing a slight image distortion... no idea where to find suggestions on that old of a tv.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I just got my OSSC in the mail today!
Unfortunately, my Sony 40W730C doesn't want to do anything above 2x scalng, but it works perfectly with the SNES and still looks really really sharp!
The lack of input lag is more noticable than I expected. It feels fantastic.

I don't suppose anyone has any settings tips to try and get 3x+ to work? I've done the recommended things from this thread on their forums, but unfortunately no dice :(

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MLiG has returned with pehaps their best episode yet!

Its amazingly comprehensive! Plus I am vindicated! 60GB PS3 FTW! As I expected and saw for myself, the 60GB PS3 turns in a better picture than the other revisions and in some ways you can get a better picture than a real PS2 if you mess around with settings and configurations.You... just ah... have to try to make it not die on you somehow. lol

Also, as I've explained before deinterlacing on FM is better suited for PS2 than OSSC if you aren't concerned with latency.
4MIuIuW.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 1162

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Its amazingly comprehensive! Plus I am vindicated! 60GB PS3 FTW! As I expected and saw for myself, the 60GB PS3 turns in a better picture than the other revisions and in some ways you can get a better picture than a real PS2 if you mess around with settings and configurations.You... just ah... have to try to make it not die on you somehow. lol

Also, as I've explained before deinterlacing on FM is better suited for PS2 than OSSC if you aren't concerned with latency.
4MIuIuW.jpg

you fooled me. i clicked on your photo and the video didn't play.

Oct 26, 2017
Bah. That amazing video reminded me that my fat PS2 doesn't read discs, my slim PS2 is a 7500X, and my component cables are cheap. Haha. Ah well. The cycle never ends, lol.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bah. That amazing video reminded me that my fat PS2 doesn't read discs, my slim PS2 is a 7500X, and my component cables are cheap. Haha. Ah well. The cycle never ends, lol.
Thankfully the HD Retrovision people are working on alternatives.

you fooled me. i clicked on your photo and the video didn't play.
See? That's what you get. When you crop REmake, I... uh... get revenge. lol

Last edited:

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
I am about to purchase a new TV and as a retro gamer I would like to find a set that upscales 720p and 1080p (Framemeister output resolutions) cleanly, that is without interpolation.

I have made some research and found out, for example that the Samsung MU6400 had horrible interpolation and adds artifacts (source: Eurogamer). Contrasting reports (Reddit) I found say that in Samsung TVs you get integer upscaling if you set the TV to PC mode. I don't know who to believe.

I have also noticed that 2017 Panasonic TVs have a picture option called 4pixel which doubles the pixel size vertically and horizontally with 0 interpolation on 1080p signal, perfect for FM. The downside is that the option is not available on game mode, which from a retro gaming point of view, makes the whole thing pointless.

Anyone with experience in the subject would help me to see the light? Thanks :)

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
this reminds me, i didn't test PC mode in my 4K Samsung TV that much. i just saw it had more input lag in the website where i looked it up and never tried it. i gotta test things.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka

I really could have used this episode a year ago.

On the other forum, I was really trying to figure out whether to buy a 60GB or not to replace my dying PS3 with.

I ended up getting a super slim PS3 and a slim PS2......and an RGB monitor.

PS2 games look nice, but I want to deinterlace so bad.

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
Aside from the xbox for obvious reasons, the PS2/GC era was the first where I can comfortably say I prefer nowadays to play the games emulated. The benefits of increased rendering resolution for those consoles adds so much it's hard to go back - especially considering just how good Dolphin is. Same for playing Wii games - once I played Xenoblade Chronicles and Mario Galaxy in full native 1080p there was no going back. To a lesser extent, Metroid Prime in 1080p with the widescreen hack.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am about to purchase a new TV and as a retro gamer I would like to find a set that upscales 720p and 1080p (Framemeister output resolutions) cleanly, that is without interpolation.

I have made some research and found out, for example that the Samsung MU6400 had horrible interpolation and adds artifacts (source: Eurogamer). Contrasting reports (Reddit) I found say that in Samsung TVs you get integer upscaling if you set the TV to PC mode. I don't know who to believe.

I have also noticed that 2017 Panasonic TVs have a picture option called 4pixel which doubles the pixel size vertically and horizontally with 0 interpolation on 1080p signal, perfect for FM. The downside is that the option is not available on game mode, which from a retro gaming point of view, makes the whole thing pointless.

Anyone with experience in the subject would help me to see the light? Thanks :)

Ah, for starters, the FM uses interpolation. It's just its use of nearest neighbor (a rather crude but clean form of interpolation) and a user's prerogative to target integers that basically achieves what line multiplication can do. Albeit, in a more roundabout way with a slight lag penalty. A 4K TV will integer scale both 1080 and 720, but it will likely rely on a more cinematic friendly form of interpolation (like bicubic) bicubic can look nice on advanced 3D games and some people prefer it, but it won't do wonders for pixel art and it won't maintain a razor sharp look to 3D games in general. Personally, I'm not aware of sets that use nearest neighbor, but that 4pixel mode kinda sounds like it, asuming it isn't line multiplication. Either way, maintaining integers will do a lot of good in of itself, and I've seen shots of 4K TVs still look mighty fine.

I really could have used this episode a year ago.

On the other forum, I was really trying to figure out whether to buy a 60GB or not to replace my dying PS3 with.

I ended up getting a super slim PS3 and a slim PS2......and an RGB monitor.

PS2 games look nice, but I want to deinterlace so bad.

The PS3 60GB wasn't bad at deinterlacing. I've tested it with a calibration disc and it mostly passed. I think what still causes issues is the inconsistency of game frame rates combined with PS2's field rendering. The FM was better at it but I still got moire artifacts in certain areas. In either case though both looked pretty close to 480p xbox ports of the same games. Adaptive deinterlacing beats out line doubling by a wide margin like that. Get an FM if you really are wanting for a good and reliable form of deinterlacing. Lots of people like to claim the XRGB is inferior in all ways to the OSSC, but the truth is that it still has functions that the OSSC can't do.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the xbox for obvious reasons, the PS2/GC era was the first where I can comfortably say I prefer nowadays to play the games emulated. The benefits of increased rendering resolution for those consoles adds so much it's hard to go back - especially considering just how good Dolphin is. Same for playing Wii games - once I played Xenoblade Chronicles and Mario Galaxy in full native 1080p there was no going back. To a lesser extent, Metroid Prime in 1080p with the widescreen hack.

Yeah, I hear ya - a Steam Link sending everything to my TV has made it even harder for me.

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017

You should also check out conventions near you. I was able to get a brand new boxed set of official Sony PS2 component cables (to ironically replace my original PS2 official component cables that died) for only 10 bucks at Too Many Games this year.

*edit*

Also FirebrandX is working on a video for setting up and using an OSSC, when ever it goes live I'll add it to the OP.

ilfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Its amazingly comprehensive! Plus I am vindicated! 60GB PS3 FTW! As I expected and saw for myself, the 60GB PS3 turns in a better picture than the other revisions and in some ways you can get a better picture than a real PS2 if you mess around with settings and configurations.You... just ah... have to try to make it not die on you somehow.
4MIuIuW.jpg

Yeah, great work on this. I appreciated that Try was receptive to how good the PS2 can look when it's displayed as intended. Some of these games look beautiful in 480i (my preferred resolution vs 480p for most PS2 games) on an L2.

Their only real weakness is their lack of lag testing.

OP
OP
ShinJohnpv

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
And Samurai Showdown!

It's nice that some one is making a new board since the old board dried up and isn't available any more. Now if some one would just start making an Atari 7800 RGB board again.

Oct 27, 2017
I really need to check my component cables to see if they're decent quality.
Mine are a 3rd party PS2/Xbox set that I bought back in 2006. I've never noticed any quality issues with them, but I've never really looked that closely either.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Pretty cool. It's probably classified in the DSM-V but seeing PCBs always makes me happy. Did you need to solder it or does it plug in?

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
How plug-n-play is the OSSC?

I have the RGB modded PC Engine, and RGB cables for my Sega Saturn. I have Component and RGB cables for my GC and PS2.
Component looks pretty decent directly into the TV, but maybe this would look much better.

Subnats

One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Ireland
What would be the best way of converting component to vga? I recently got a pc crt and I want to move my retro setup over to it.