• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
untitled1lyj40.png

Welcome to Era's Retro Game Collecting OT! Your one-stop destination for discussion & sources surrounding the wacky world of Retro Game Collecting! Remember "Collect what you want, not what's just rare!"

Collection Hunting Tips
  • The older the game, the harder it's likely to be found out in the wild. Sometimes it's best to just cut your losses and find what you want online.
  • Consider going to pawn shops, thrift stores, and even on the side of the road vendors outside the beaten path (Who knows what might be in there!).
  • Always take an extra look when it comes to stacks (or even outside the "game" area in stores) as sometimes content is moved around or buried.
  • Don't ignore newer generations! Some of those 360, PS4 and similar era titles might start to raise if you sleep on them.
  • Consider buying a "Lot" if there are titles you want (even if a few you don't) for a better value.
  • Consider importing if it's a title you don't need Japanese to play (as they can be cheaper)
  • Sometimes it's best to go Left if everyone is going Right (Consider collecting Games/Platforms not as popular if that's something you'd like)

Importing Tips
  • Be mindful of Shipping Length when ordering (As the distance can result in quite the wait depending on speed)
  • Consider using services such as buyee when ordering from Japan (You can often order cheaper than eBay and even get coupons for free shipping/reduce prices)
  • Check the actual Japanese sites such as Yahoo Japan, Mercari, etc for what prices are
  • Highly-priced items from Japan on US eBay from Japan are often using the eBay Fulfillment option. Listings not using the service are often vastly cheaper (Even if the wait might be a little longer).

Trading Tips
  • While you shouldn't buy titles just to buy them. If you know you can get a deal on a wanted item, it might be worth doing so to trade with others.
  • Both parties should provide plenty of details/pics. If both parties aren't comfortable there shouldn't be a trade!
  • Always tell the other party involved if any components are a Reproduction
  • You can find plenty of trading groups on Instagram, Facebook, and even here in the BST Thread (Link Below)
Hardware Considerations
  • As systems continue to age (or your collection gets bigger) consider ODE (Optical Drive Emulator) options for your hardware.
  • Some older systems can be made region free via numerous methods (Game Shark, Action Replay, Hacking, etc)
  • Sometimes "Not Tested" systems work just fine. If you have the necessary components and the price is right, it might be worth the gamble!

Game Condition Talk
  • If you don't care about CIB (Complete in Box), buying just the Disc or Cart is vastly cheaper
  • You can buy Case/Box protection from numerous sites to protect your collection (Link Below for one such shop)
  • Consider Reproduction Cases (Many can be indistinguishable from the real thing on a shelf. Just be sure to tell others they're Repro if you want to trade it later!)
  • If you're unsure of the quality of a listing, ask the seller for additional pictures
  • Don't sleep on lower-quality items. Sometimes certain aspects can fill in the gaps for others (Such as a Disc only listing filling in a Like New Case with no game)

Retro Store Etiquette
  • Try not to price check while in a store (As this might lead the store to price check themselves when you get to the register)
  • Handle all products with care (Whether they're protected or not). One game you're not interested in might be someone else's golden grail!
  • The higher price you might see in the store compared to online are sometimes fair (Depending on the condition and other variables)
  • Get a feel for a store (Many places will be open to converse with customers and even offer recommendations and more!)

Resource Links

Happy Hunting!
AmbitiousMindlessAustraliancattledog-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
While you can post pickups from your hunts in this thread, please refrain from making that the focus of this thread.

MarkMan makes a great monthly thread for pickups from any era of gaming! There's also the RetroERA thread as well.

Last edited:

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
I just added one of my most wanted games to the collection! I paid a pretty penny but man, I'm happy to own it again.

I'm a huge fan of the facebook marketplace personally. I've found some pretty good deals and my experiences have been positive overall.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any place that prints retro Manuals? I have ONE (seriously 1) title with no manual in my entire PS1 collection and would LOVE to get a copy.

Tales of Destiny if it matters. The manual itself is fairly easy to find on the standard game doc sites, but actually procuring a copy is another thing entirely.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Is there any place that prints retro Manuals? I have ONE (seriously 1) title with no manual in my entire PS1 collection and would LOVE to get a copy.

Tales of Destiny if it matters. The manual itself is fairly easy to find on the standard game doc sites, but actually procuring a copy is another thing entirely.

I just hopped on ebay to check this out. I can't believe someone is selling the Manual Alone for $100 lol.
This might be up your alley though
www.etsy.com

Custom Printed Tales of Destiny Play Station 1 Manual, Case & Case Insert see Variations Below - Etsy

This Video Games item by TSGamesandRepair has 43 favorites from Etsy shoppers. Ships from Wilkes Barre, PA. Listed on Apr 10, 2024

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Great thread! I was funnily enough just looking early today at when the next big retro Video Game Market is near me (in Doncaster Dome) as I haven't been to one since before COVID! Looks like I just missed one at the end of Feb.

Got tons of amazing stuff from there at previous ones.

My friend in Japan sent me Donkey Kong 64 JP this week which completes my Rare (the company, not rarity) JP N64 games. Got them all!

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I've JUST started getting into light gun games and emulation, and so have been scouring sites and marketplaces looking for the OG's so I could have a better, cleaner conscious about that stuff, so this thread is beautifully timed!

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm thinking of going to this north of Toronto next month since I used to love going to the various ones around the GTA before covid. Even if I don't buy much this time it'll be nice to see all the familiar vendors I liked chatting with and ignoring the few that are a blight on the scene here.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017

Hopping on this too as I want to get a repro of the EarthBound guide from that HQ PDF.

For anyone in the Ohio/Midwest area, the Cleveland Gaming Classic is undergoing a huge expansion this year. I went last year at a much smaller venue and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of good stuff available.

The Classic Console and Arcade Gaming Show is another very good collector event for anyone in the region.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
One current issue I'll point out - Japan Post is not accepting items to be sent from Japan to the UK, France, Germany via airmail. I already had two items returned to sender so at the moment I'm just not bothering to buy anything from Japan (which Im sure my bank balance is happy about). Reason given for this is something related to the current Ukraine/Russia war. So in case anyone is looking at a nice eBay item from Japan and your in the UK, check with the seller first that they can even ship it to you.

In terms of importing items and cost - I recommend against buying from a US eBay seller especially if they use the Global Fulfillment program. In my case, shipping to the UK + VAT/fees makes it insanely expensive and usually just not worth the effort, its a last resort.

Japan wise, I usually use From Japan as the third party proxy. They are quick to send stuff out, decently priced, and pack stuff very well.

Additionally, Japanese listings as a whole downplay the quality of the item in a good way. A "worn" item in a Japanese listing probably means a small scuff or fold on the box/manual, which to me (who doesnt go for MIB stuff, just CIB original games) much cheaper. If you look for similarly priced items from Euro sellers, its usually a great deal more expensive for a worse condition item.

Also, while Japanese listings in Yahoo Japan are fairly easy to search for these days in English, its worth looking up the Japanese title of an item for more/better results. Helped me quite a bit.

And if you do care about condition, fakes are getting way more common. One thing I found is checking the inside flaps of the box in the picture. Older cardboard should be a more brown/faded colour. If its sheet white, its probably a repro. And while not always accurate - if you find a super rare game for next to no cost, and the box looks mint, its almost certainly a repro, so check the colour of the box innards. Most sellers state boxes are repros these days but I did find this happen way too often back when I was finishing off my Game and Watch collection.

Oh, and on collecting in general. One thing that works for me - collect what you love. I stopped grabbing random games just because they were cheap as they took up space and were rarely played. Now I just collect Capcom and Sega games as those are what I love most. I've managed to amass an almost complete Capcom retro collection which Im slowly playing through, and its so much more fun compared to just randomly grabbing stuff.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck is Mario Party 5 of all the Parties so expensive. It's like the most bleh one.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Oct 27, 2017
General tip for the thread: look into tracking! It sucks to spot something in the wild that you get stoked about but can't remember whether you own it already (this happens to me with some frequency). I really like GAMEYE (ios and android) for database tracking and barcode scanning -- it also does a pretty decent job at price tracking, pulling data from PriceCharting, but it seems delayed by a few weeks in terms of when it updates.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US

Some of this stuff is posted online in pretty good format. Heck, there is a thread by a resetera member who has collected images of manuals and boxed art I think for all Genesis games. You could then print it out yourself or perhaps find a print shop that will do that.

That said, its all a pain. I got like 10-15 games I'd love to do this but it was a bit pricey last time I looked.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
General tip for the thread: look into tracking! It sucks to spot something in the wild that you get stoked about but can't remember whether you own it already (this happens to me with some frequency). I really like GAMEYE (ios and android) for database tracking and barcode scanning -- it also does a pretty decent job at price tracking, pulling data from PriceCharting, but it seems delayed by a few weeks in terms of when it updates.
Is there a web version or just apps?

demi

Oct 27, 2017

retweet Gameye, great app for keeping your library on you while out and about.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
We did have a retro collecting thread, just no one really uses OT side of things.
www.resetera.com

RetroEra IOTI 40 years of Classic Backlog

Welcome to RetroEra! A community for anyone who enjoys collecting and revisiting gaming’s classic hits and exploring hidden gems. Share your opinions of games you play, the hardware you interact with, and the memories of gaming’s bygone eras. Atari, Commodore, Master System, NES, SNES, Genesis...

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
We did have a retro collecting thread, just no one really uses OT side of things.
www.resetera.com

RetroEra IOTI 40 years of Classic Backlog

Welcome to RetroEra! A community for anyone who enjoys collecting and revisiting gaming’s classic hits and exploring hidden gems. Share your opinions of games you play, the hardware you interact with, and the memories of gaming’s bygone eras. Atari, Commodore, Master System, NES, SNES, Genesis...
Going through the thread, looks like both of these can coexist. Added to the OP though.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

A cursory Google search shows a listing on Etsy for a reproduction manual and insert

Related to this, I'm torn on the existence of high-quality reproduction manuals and other things like that. On one hand, it's your shit, if you want to complete something or replace a badly worn original piece with a reproduction then knock yourself out. On the other, unless it's clearly labelled as such on the article itself (which the one I just mentioned doesn't seem to be, at least), anyone that may end up with your copy likely will not know unless they know what to look for, or you tell them. I've had to start checking the cover inserts on games because I ended up buying something from a store that I thought was in box, but had a cover replacement printed on photo paper. The only reason I found out was because I was looking at it after I got home and noticed some of the smaller lettering looked off, so I took it out and saw the labels that you always see on the backside of photo paper. I let the store know and they refunded me the difference between the boxed price and cart price, and checked the rest of the games that individual had sold them (someone sold their collection a few days prior) and marked down the ones they needed to.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
Has anyone actually had decent experiences with Sega Saturn/Dreamcast games as those retro-game stores? I remember around a decade ago at like...Play and Trade, Dreamcast games were a plenty, but I have almost never seen anything since then. I've seen more import SuFami games than Saturn games and that blows my mind.

Additional Tips

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I haven't actively collected in about 5 years (sold most of my best stuff to get a down payment to buy my house. Wasn't planning on getting completely out but it just kind of sapped my will to do it. Nowadays I'm fine with emulation) but I had a pretty spectacular collection at one point. I can share some tips that got it for me.

General tips:

1. Broaden your scope of where you look. Garage sales, flea markets, thrift stores, pawn shops, antique shops, junk dealers.

2. Talk to the people who work there. Be polite. Let them know what you're interested in, but don't ask only about games because it puts a spotlight on them. My go to question was always some variation of "You don't happen to have any old movies, video games, records, anything like that?" Once in awhile I'd even buy a cool record or movie, though rarely, just to seem like I was actually interested in them. Less so at garage sales where I'd never see the people again but at thrift stores/pawn shops/etc.

3. Ask if they have it. This is huge at garage sales especially, a lot of people may run inside and grab stuff and then you get first dibs. Some of my best finds were this way. Works well at thrift stores/pawn shops/flea markets too though. A lot of times there's a stack in back that hasn't been put out or priced yet but they'll often do so quickly if you're interested. Flea markets its more likely to mean they bring it back the next week because its at home though so mostly useful if you're planning to return.

4. Widen your scope of what you look for. If you're only looking for something VERY specific, you'll rarely find anything worthwhile. Only want SNES games? Good luck, it's honestly probably not worth your time to even go out, just order online and save the time. If you can get into a wide variety though? Better. I'd get excited about a stack of Gamecube or N64 commons that were all first party stuff and thus valuable. I'd also get excited about a stack of old 3DO sports games, because you never see them and its cool to do so. The same when I found a couple random cheapo TG-16 games at a garage sale, or my Odyssey 2 light gun at one. Just neat to find them in the wild.

5. Buy duplicates if they're valuable. This is obviously up to you, but its the best way to make this work for you. You can trade with other collectors on collector sites, or flip them on eBay/Amazon for money to buy a good game. I was as happy to find my 5th copy of Super Smash Bros Melee of the summer as I was to find another $50.00 but more rare game I actually wanted, because I knew I could turn it into that. Commons that are valuable (which to be clear, is most commonly Nintendo stuff) can be useful if you're willing to put in the work.

6. Carry enough cash, preferably in small bills. Use your biggest bills that make sense first. Nothing worse than not having the right change and having to overpay for what you want, or not having enough money for the score of the century, or finding something awesome at Goodwill and finding their credit card machines are down. How much is up to you obviously. I usually went out with $100.00 bucks but I had a very good idea where I could get more in the areas I was going (local places with ATMs, stores that did cash back, etc)

Garage Sales:

1. Arrive early. These things get picked over very fast. If you're one of the first ones out in the morning though, and you're willing to ask if they have anything you don't see, you can do well. Don't be afraid to get there a few minutes before the sale starts, or if they're setting up ask if you're good to come up and look, but don't be that jerk knocking on people's doors 2 hours before the sale starts either.

2. Make a route. Search the garage sale listings online for sales that look interesting and plot them out on Google Maps. Make a route that prioritizes interesting sales and saves you the most time. Be willing to go off route when you see signs nearby for sales that weren't listed, but this gives you a general route to follow.

3. Don't only go to sales that list games. If you see something in the images online you really want then sure, go, but if they're listing them they're more likely to know the value and every collector in the area is probably headed there first too. Instead look for ones that have other things listed that seem like they'd kind of go with games of the era you want. Look at the pictures closely for signs of gaming stuff that may not be actually listed.

4. Haggle. Make your money stretch. Now to be clear, don't be stupid. If you see a $200.00 game with a $5.00 sticker on it, give them the money and keep it moving. The longer you stand there, the more likely someone else shows up and tries to start a bidding war, and you don't want to lose the purchase. But if you have a stack of interesting commons marked $3.00 each? See if they'll do 5 for $10.00. They probably will. People want this stuff gone.

5. Don't throw out the first offer if you can help it when haggling. This is a personal one but it served me well. Ask what they want for it, rather than telling them what you want to pay. It does a few things. First, it means you don't offer more than you need to. Offering $5.00 a game when they'd have gladly taken $10.00 for a stack of 10. If you offer too much you also risk them thinking these might be valuable and worth looking up online. If they ask way too much you can always come back with something like "Sorry, I usually only pay a couple bucks per game. These things are all over the place." Sometimes they'll come down. If they won't they were never likely to take your initial opening offer anyway. Also for me, I just prefer paying what someone asks. It feels a bit better to pay someone the $5.00 they want for their $100.00 game than to try to lowball them knowing what it's worth. It isn't your job to educate them. They're selling things and setting a price, if they don't know what it's worth, that's kind of on them. YMMV on this of course, but that's always how I felt. I know what this stuff is worth because I took the time to learn. Nothing wrong with being rewarded for expertise.

6. When you ask about things you don't see, get some keywords in. This doesn't really work at thrift stores/pawn shops, they deal with it enough that they know what a video game is. Even at flea markets, if they're a consistent seller they get asked often enough that they know what you mean. Garage sale people don't always though. Their idea of an "old video game" could be Atari, or it could be PS4. I wouldn't get too specific up front, but if they say no, find a way to slip some keywords in. My go to line was always something like "Too bad, I'm always looking for the stuff from when I grew up. You know, Nintendo, Sega, Atari, PlayStation, Game Boy, all that good old stuff." A TON of people who said no initially will have something light up in their eyes and realize oh, they actually do have a stack of old NES games inside, they just didn't think you'd be interested. Game Boy seemed to trigger a lot of people which is why I specifically called it out. DS might do the same nowadays. These people are often the best to deal with because they hadn't even thought about putting that stuff out for sale, assuming its worthless.

Flea Markets:

1. Again, arrive early. If you can be the first into the place or near it you'll have the best chance. If they offer a rate to get in early, as long as its not crazy its probably worth it.

2. Make your first lap around fast. Speed walk. Don't bother digging through piles, don't stop to ask if they have anything you don't see. Only stop if something catches your eye. You need to get to the good stuff first. After that you can do another lap around the place looking for stuff hidden in piles or under other stuff, or asking sellers what they might have you don't see.

3. Don't focus too much on the "gaming" booths, but don't ignore them either. These guys mostly know what they have, they're dedicated to selling games. They may be a few bucks cheaper than online if they're not awful but you aren't going to get some amazing find there. Usually. Look closely though, especially for obscure stuff. A lot of these guys aren't experts or fans, they sell it because its valuable. Some have obtained some expertise, but others just eBay/Pricechart everything. They will make mistakes. Others may know what they have but not like dealing with selling online and be willing to sell more obscure stuff way below the going rate just to get rid of it. Make connections with these guys and they might cut you a deal anyway to have regular business.

Thrift Stores:

1. Check outside the dedicated "gaming" area. If they have a case that's always a good spot to look. So is the toy section, controllers or accessories end up there often. Sometimes things get shelved with the board games. PS1/Dreamcast is often mixed with CDs.

2. Learn the obscure systems, particularly the ones that look kind of like a CD player/DVD player. I found 2 3DOs over the years mixed in with the DVD players. I know people who found Genesis CDXs, X'Eyes, LaserActives, Nuons, CD-i. If your eyes are glazing over reading this, fair enough, but even if you have no personal interest you can trade or flip them, they have a market. Just knowing what the various models of these look like gives you a chance.

3. Haggle again. Especially if you know things have been there for awhile. They want this stuff turning over. You'll have more luck with this at smaller thrift stores than the big corporate Goodwills but I've had managers willing to come down on things that have sat for weeks or even months, especially if they're larger items taking up space.

4. Look for supplies. If you're building a collection, you can find a lot of great supplies that help you like cases, storage containers, labeling items, switch boxes, things like that here way cheaper than elsewhere.

That's more or less what I have, I'll add anything else if I think of it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
A cursory Google search shows a listing on Etsy for a reproduction manual and insert

Related to this, I'm torn on the existence of high-quality reproduction manuals and other things like that. On one hand, it's your shit, if you want to complete something or replace a badly worn original piece with a reproduction then knock yourself out. On the other, unless it's clearly labelled as such on the article itself (which the one I just mentioned doesn't seem to be, at least), anyone that may end up with your copy likely will not know unless they know what to look for, or you tell them. I've had to start checking the cover inserts on games because I ended up buying something from a store that I thought was in box, but had a cover replacement printed on photo paper. The only reason I found out was because I was looking at it after I got home and noticed some of the smaller lettering looked off, so I took it out and saw the labels that you always see on the backside of photo paper. I let the store know and they refunded me the difference between the boxed price and cart price, and checked the rest of the games that individual had sold them (someone sold their collection a few days prior) and marked down the ones they needed to.

Yeah, I don't mind Repro stuff personally but it definitely needs to be labeled as some don't want that (or are getting duped as in your case) as many aren't easily distinguishable until you get up close.

Has anyone actually had decent experiences with Sega Saturn/Dreamcast games as those retro-game stores? I remember around a decade ago at like...Play and Trade, Dreamcast games were a plenty, but I have almost never seen anything since then. I've seen more import SuFami games than Saturn games and that blows my mind.

Even when this stuff was cheap (Like $20 for RE2 DC and $30 for RE1 Saturn) I rarely ever ran into them outside actual retro shops. So I imagine seeing them even now is probably really rare. I haven't seen one in a regular thrift store since like 2014 and it was a copy of Hydro Thunder with no case lol.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
My advice is to pick an upper limit of what makes sense for you and stick to it. Both in spending and storage space. It is an easy hobby to end up with 3 copies of a game you don't even really like. And can become particularly bothersome for life partners or anyone you share space with.

OaklandKao

Mar 21, 2022
Even when this stuff was cheap (Like $20 for RE2 DC and $30 for RE1 Saturn) I rarely ever ran into them outside actual retro shops. So I imagine seeing them even now is probably really rare. I haven't seen one in a regular thrift store since like 2014 and it was a copy of Hydro Thunder with no case lol.
I think I lucked out when I started seriously collecting for Dreamcast and Saturn 2008-2009ish.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I think I lucked out when I started seriously collecting for Dreamcast and Saturn 2008-2009ish.
Same here. I started collecting older stuff when I got my first real job back around... 2005? I forget when exactly but I did grab a whole bunch of Saturn, Snes, Gameboy etc. games (basically every single Mega Man game that had been released at that time) and looking at today's prices on something like PAL MMX3 SNES, or Saturn SF Zero 3... yeah I lucked out no doubt.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My local store has a handful of Dreamcast games every so often, and maybe a few times a year they get Sega CD or Saturn games in. Most of the time they're in ok condition, and anything of note that comes in is usually gone within days, if not hours if they post what they have behind the register at that moment.

Sep 14, 2020
Hopping on this too as I want to get a repro of the EarthBound guide from that HQ PDF.

For anyone in the Ohio/Midwest area, the Cleveland Gaming Classic is undergoing a huge expansion this year. I went last year at a much smaller venue and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of good stuff available.

The Classic Console and Arcade Gaming Show is another very good collector event for anyone in the region.

Oh, from the Cleveland area so that helps me. Pretty sure I've looked into going to these but didn't care enough to in the past. Maybe this is the year I finally go.

Of course, I've decided to work on my collection of Nintendo games so not the cheapest endeavor. I have a decent amount of stuff I've held on to over the years but looking for pretty much anything I've been curious about and missed out on originally (mostly first party stuff). My consoles are somewhat buried in the basement and not really accessible right now so I've been mostly concentrating on handheld stuff at the moment.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
Wow, super thankful for this thread. I usually just cave and pay Buy-It-Now prices on eBay tbh, but there just isn't a large supply of Famicom carts and Famicom Disk System games in the US.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Wow, super thankful for this thread. I usually just cave and pay Buy-It-Now prices on eBay tbh, but there just isn't a large supply of Famicom carts and Famicom Disk System games in the US.

I was just using Buy it Now today myself lol. If the price seems fair to you then the price is good.
Sometimes it's just not worth the headache of bidding (especially if it's a wanted item) to save like $5 bucks.

If I bid on something, it's typically a title I expect isn't going to get many bites or there aren't any Buy it Now listing in the "Current Going Rate" for the title.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Yep, same with Japanese Saturn, Dreamcast or even a lot of PS1/PS2 fare. I am going to explore some of those proxy services to see whats available. Wonder if there are actually shopping services where somebody would go to bookoff/super potato for you and pickup some games :).

I was just using Buy it Now today myself lol. If the price seems fair to you then the price is good.
Sometimes it's just not worth the headache of bidding (especially if it's a wanted item) to save like $5 bucks.

If I bid on something, it's typically a title I expect isn't going to get many bites or there aren't any Buy it Now listing in the "Current Going Rate" for the title.

Yeah, usually its not worth the hassle as the resulting price is probably going to be close (well, need to check trends first). Sometimes it may be worth it to "make an offer" if that is available.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I avoid bidding on items like the plague these days. Just doesnt feel worth it, even using sniper tools. Last time I bid on an item was for the last Game and Watch game I needed, and that's only because it was the only time Id seen a boxed version turn up so I didnt really have a choice. Buy It Now seems like the norm these days, I rarely see auctions, or I just gloss over them...

Yep, same with Japanese Saturn, Dreamcast or even a lot of PS1/PS2 fare. I am going to explore some of those proxy services to see whats available. Wonder if there are actually shopping services where somebody would go to bookoff/super potato for you and pickup some games :).
Shopping Mall Japan actually had that service once upon a time. I was tempted to get them to go after the Rockman 4 gold competition cart that Super Potato had (I think) but never did. These days Id totally jump at the chance but Im not sure they even still have the cart.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I avoid bidding on items like the plague these days. Just doesnt feel worth it, even using sniper tools. Last time I bid on an item was for the last Game and Watch game I needed, and that's only because it was the only time Id seen a boxed version turn up so I didnt really have a choice. Buy It Now seems like the norm these days, I rarely see auctions, or I just gloss over them...
Agreed. Nothing sucks more than losing on an item you have been watching for a week at the last seconds.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017

Same here. It's just not worth waiting a week, only to find out that A) I lost by a dollar and B) it sold for the same price as Buy It Now listings anyway.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Same here. It's just not worth waiting a week, only to find out that A) I lost by a dollar and B) it sold for the same price as Buy It Now listings anyway.
Agreed. Nothing sucks more than losing on an item you have been watching for a week at the last seconds.

Yup. Feels like a waste of time, and if its not a particularly uncommon item, its just less hassle to go for a Buy It Now instead. Its even more frustrating for those rarer items which dont come about often, as you either have to a) hope your bid is high enough and risk missing it, or b) throw in a crazy high bid and potentially pay quite a lot for the item. And you still could find that's not enough!

I really dont miss that feeling to be honest... it happened more a decade + back when I was trying to get the Gameboy Mega Man games (ah the pains of that whole ordeal).