entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The front loading NES's 72 pin connector is very bad. Most people in the retro scene or those that remember using it will recall the constant blinking lights and failure to load the carts on first, second, third try without the infamous blowing of the carts.

This is caused by the frontloading NES's push down VCR mechanism, which, over time, bends the connector, preventing a firm contact with the PCB.

The top loader fixed this, but that model was only produced for a year and it not as numerous as the front loader in the aftermarket. Plus, it lacks composite outputs out of the box. And not to mention the nostalgia factor some may have for the front loader.

View: https://x.com/RockerGameMod/status/1755287631707910523?s=20

I've always wanted the predecessor to the prototype called the Blinking Light Win, but it's been out of stock for many years and rather expensive in the aftermarket because of this. Moreover, owners of have said it has a "death grip", gripping the carts too tight. The modders of this prototype seem to be aware of that based on this Twitter thread thankfully.

This is still a proof of concept but there should be demand. They're looking for beta testers.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
This seems brilliant and I also hate it. I totally understand the desire to not have your shit break itself all the time but also: pressing it down is fun

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I've always wanted the predecessor to the prototype called the Blinking Light Win, but it's been out of stock for many years and rather expensive in the aftermarket because of this. Moreover, owners of have said it has a "death grip", gripping the carts too tight. The modders of this prototype seem to be aware of that based on this Twitter thread thankfully.

I was going to mention the BLW if you didn't. I wasn't aware that it was out of stock or not being sold. I lost interest in it when I got the AVS and later the NT Mini Noir.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Did pressing it down have a function beyond keeping the carts secure? I don't recall tbh but I remember not having to press down to use game genie

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen enough

View: https://twitter.com/RockerGameMod/status/1755287789136986177

1348025169-3577dfb7a2e69add705594042caf52f2f7c6b6fb11136aafc9bb6cb5e11e42b3-d

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
I thought it was already fixed years ago? I remember seeing a part to replace what was in the original. Almost bought one but didnt want to take things apart.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
Isn't this just the same thing as the "Blinking Light Win" mod/accessory for the NES?

I've got a front loader with a Blinking Light Win installed and I can't say I'm too happy with that. It squeezes way too tight on cartridges. Some day I'm gonna remove it and go back to pushing the carts down.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this just the same thing as the "Blinking Light Win" mod/accessory for the NES?

I've got a front loader with a Blinking Light Win installed and I can't say I'm too happy with that. It squeezes way too tight on cartridges. Some day I'm gonna remove it and go back to pushing the carts down.
This has a connector that slides with the cart making it easier to remove. I would have bought a Blinking Light Win but I don't think it's even in production anymore.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm curious what the price will be. The BLW was $30 US after the KS so hopefully this isn't too much more considering all of the pricing pressures since that came out.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks looking into this!

I've always wanted the predecessor to the prototype called the Blinking Light Win, but it's been out of stock for many years and rather expensive in the aftermarket because of this. Moreover, owners of have said it has a "death grip", gripping the carts too tight.
It 100% does have a death grip. Like I had to use pliers to get my game out.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious what the price will be. The BLW was $30 US after the KS so hopefully this isn't too much more considering all of the pricing pressures since that came out.
I doubt it will be too pricey. It's not exactly exotic gear--plastic molds, pins, etc.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I like my blinking light win but if this thing doesn't deathgrip carts I'll swap it out.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
It's neat from an engineering perspective, but without the push down mechanism it loses the nostalgia factor. A big no-no for retro gaming :D

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
There are two competing products - the Slotmaster from Laser Bear and the NintendoDrawer. Although I preordered the Slotmaster a month ago before I saw this, I ended up preordering the NintenDrawer as well as I saw on Discord that the Slotmaster has some design flaws.

The slotmaster's current issue is that each pin is routed point to point, and there are no grounds between the signals, so signal integrity is lost when going between boards
But they're working on it
The nintendrawer has a custom flex cable that ameliorates that situation

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I just put a new 72 pin connector in my NES like 20 years ago and haven't had any problems with it since. Not that it gets as much play as it did the 20 years prior to the replacement.

Still a cool idea.