Ry.

AVALANCHE
Oct 10, 2021
the planet Zebes
c6hqiteugk0d1.jpeg

Oh god, they're really hittin me in my nostalgia bones. Uuugggh whyyyyy.

spectator

Jan 23, 2018
Can anyone recommend me a small/pocketable Bluetooth controller like the 8BitDo Lite 2, but with symmetrical sticks?

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I just bought my Silver RG35XXSP on AliExpress. I opted for the base 64GB model and will grab a 64GB and 128GB MicroSD to replace the stock card with.

First retro handheld so I'm pretty excited!

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
RG35XXSP is available on Ali, but 15€ of delivery to my country, which makes it go from impulse buy to "nope" for me.
Will wait for a sale & free delivery.

Gong

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Just ordered the 35XXSP from Anbernic, went with the bag as well. I was tempted by the black and blue variations, but realised I personally don't like see-through devices and it would bug me. Let the waiting commence!

panama chief

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Got a black and a gray SP. I always get two. Never know if my son will see mine and try to use it. Might as well have his own.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely getting an SP. Got one in my cart now but £10 shipping and an additional £14 taxes stings a little and makes this a fair bit more expensive than initial impressions. Will wait and see if it crops up on any of the UK places later. In no massive rush, I have plenty of other retro handhelds.

Super excited though! I adore the SP and this looks perfect.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought it from their store. I changed to silver, although transparent is great for modding.
I remembered that every transparent handheld from China had the annoying cracking sound when getting warm.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Got mine in Silver from the official shop. I'm like 10% worried I couldn't see how long shipping will take (Aliexpress was saying by June 2nd, but I couldn't get them to accept my payment), so crossing my fingers!

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When is Anbernic usually shipping after ordering a new handheld? Is it hours/days or weeks? Couldn't find an exact release date 🤔

jack.

Oct 27, 2017
I was stoked for the 35XXSP @ $58 but a shipping fee that's over 20% of the price is kind of killing my interest for now.

Joe Molotov

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered the SP. I wanted to get the silver, but I'm a little worried about whether it's going to look too shiny in person, so I switched to grey at the last minute.

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
That "hidden cost" camouflaged behind shipping really is a low blow, on a device that was primed to sell gangbusters.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
12$ is pretty average for a box this size coming from the other side of the world, as slow as 4PX is.

Eventually amazon resellers may get them or the price will drop enough to compensate.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
If you're willing to wait for it to show up on AliExpress (and wait for the extended shipping time), it's usually about the same price and free shipping there.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Not for Anbernic. Most (all?) of their consoles have free shipping on Aliexpress.
After an unknown "probationary" period, sure. Direct from their site and at launch, they've had these levels of shipping costs for a while now -- I want to say since around the launch of the 405m is when they stopped offering free shipping on new products?

Even the 28XX direct from Anbernic on Aliexpress still has $12 shipping to the US, despite there being other storefronts offering free shipping at this point. But yes, if you wait a few weeks you'll be able to pick this up without the shipping tacked on pretty easily -- it's basically an early adopter tax, unfortunately.

Oct 25, 2017
We need someone to start an X Prize for a 360 emulator for Android.

Yes! We could all pitch in $20 for a prize pot.

I'd settle for an OG Xbox emulator and happily help fund that.

We really need a Xbox 360 Emulator on Android.

Top Spin 4 and Halo 3 on my Odin 2 🤤
I'm not sure if it's ok to link it here, but the Emulation General wiki claims there are ARM builds of xemu and xenia in development, although both projects' officially disclaim any roadmap in that direction.

Hopefully these chips with PS2+ level power encourage some official development.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else use Beacon launcher? It's really good. Totally worth $3.
I wish I could but my RG405M doesn't have Google Play Services :(

Daijisho is only okay. I backed Emulation Station to get access to the beta but it's not fully baked ... they'll be adding a native way to access apps soon, so hopefully that helps.

One question for anyone that knows: Emulation Station seems to have installed its own instance of RetroArch (or something?) that doesn't pull the button-mapping and shader defaults I set up through Daijisho. Is there a way to fix this? I'm not 100% sure what's happening there. It finds my savegames, but not my configurations.

hopeblimey

Sep 23, 2023
I wish I could but my RG405M doesn't have Google Play Services :(

Daijisho is only okay. I backed Emulation Station to get access to the beta but it's not fully baked ... they'll be adding a native way to access apps soon, so hopefully that helps.

One question for anyone that knows: Emulation Station seems to have installed its own instance of RetroArch (or something?) that doesn't pull the button-mapping and shader defaults I set up through Daijisho. Is there a way to fix this? I'm not 100% sure what's happening there. It finds my savegames, but not my configurations.

You should consider installing GammaOS on your RG405M. I have one, did so, and it's such a better experience. Everything runs better, the screen looks better (without that universal filter), you get power saving mode as well as a max performance mode. Plus, you get the play store.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
You should consider installing GammaOS on your RG405M. I have one, did so, and it's such a better experience. Everything runs better, the screen looks better (without that universal filter), you get power saving mode as well as a max performance mode. Plus, you get the play store.
I have GammaOS installed, but I installed the version without Google Play Services in order to get better idle battery drain. As long as the wi-fi is off I can leave the device for over a week and still pick it up and have enough juice to play, it's great.

hopeblimey

Sep 23, 2023
I have GammaOS installed, but I installed the version without Google Play Services in order to get better idle battery drain. As long as the wi-fi is off I can leave the device for over a week and still pick it up and have enough juice to play, it's great.

Oh dang. Okay. I did the play store version. Not sure how long I can have it idle but I'm pretty sure it's days.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Oh dang. Okay. I did the play store version. Not sure how long I can have it idle but I'm pretty sure it's days.
These two lines on their Github pushed me towards the lite version:
  • (v1.5) Improve battery standby time. With Gamma Lite + Airplane mode, can get around 30 days standby time.
  • GammaOS includes Google Services and Play Store. GammaOS Lite excludes Google apps and services for extra performance headroom.
And I mean honestly I don't need Google Play Services for anything since I don't play Android games. Hopefully the Beacon dev will open up an alternate distribution method at some point.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I caved and ordered a Silver RG35XXSP. Last Anbernic model I had was a metal shell one that was pretty good so I'm keen for this one. Very interested to see if Miyuu make a clamshell too.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
I don't like the stuttering on display with the SNES core. Could be they don't have v-sync enabled. Would have been a simple thing to spend a lil more time on in a 31min video.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
After an unknown "probationary" period, sure. Direct from their site and at launch, they've had these levels of shipping costs for a while now -- I want to say since around the launch of the 405m is when they stopped offering free shipping on new products?

Even the 28XX direct from Anbernic on Aliexpress still has $12 shipping to the US, despite there being other storefronts offering free shipping at this point. But yes, if you wait a few weeks you'll be able to pick this up without the shipping tacked on pretty easily -- it's basically an early adopter tax, unfortunately.
I got a 28XX from their AliExpress store and didn't pay shipping to EU.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, considering I purchased the 35RGXXSP mostly for SNES titles (it's my favorite console), the stuttering definitely has me worried. :(

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I understand how someone can claim the SNES is their preferred platform, point out the studdering issues, then only mention "software bugs" as a minor con at the end. To me that's a major dealbreaker and I wouldn't buy one until it's resolved. The loose, noisy buttons and high temps are also more than just minor quirks in my book.
The software bug is likely what's causing the SNES to stutter (hence the mention at the end). It doesn't make sense why other games, like those from Genesis or even later like PS1 and such, have no stutter. It shouldn't be present for the SNES, which leads him to believe that it's something in the software that's causing it, especially since the chipset is the same as other RG35XX variants.

I really hope it is, since the SNES is like...75% of the reason I bought this thing. :/