zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
This thread is really hard to get any info out of due to how big it is. A problem on resetera generally

Anyway im looking for a smaller form factor handheld than steam deck that can play up to pcsx2 2x res
Steam deck can do this I think but doesn't play pcsx2 games very well?

The android handhelds support some no longer updated ps2 emulator called aether. And I want retro achievements too.

I like the deck but it's very wide and I wanna use it mostly for steam gaming as that's where it excels
Is there one that is like half the size of deck like 5 inch screen, oled and can play games up to ps2 using pcsx2
Despite not being updated Odin 2 has much better ps2 emulation than Steam Deck. Most games that don't work on SD work on Odin 2 at high rez and full speed

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Despite not being updated Odin 2 has much better ps2 emulation than Steam Deck. Most games that don't work on SD work on Odin 2 at high rez and full speed
I'd tend to agree that there are games that my RP4 will struggle with PS2 wise that I'll try on the Deck and expect some improvement and it isn't really there as much as you might expect. And I still have to manually disable SMT every so often (that I can't even do now because decky is borked)

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I'd tend to agree that there are games that my RP4 will struggle with PS2 wise that I'll try on the Deck and expect some improvement and it isn't really there as much as you might expect. And I still have to manually disable SMT every so often (that I can't even do now because decky is borked)
Yeah I wanted to play Blood will Tell on SD and I would get like 20fps whatever the settings I try. On Odin 2 it's 60 at 3x

But for some reason I am having trouble with Ace Combat 5. But I did not mess with the settings

Last edited:

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I never knew. I thought the Steam Deck woukd have about the same ps2 emulation quality as the Asus rog ally. And I really enjoy emulation on the rog ally. In addition to playing Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, PS2, Gamecube/ Wii perfectly, it's also great for ps3 and wiiu and Model 3. (I'll try Switch and Xbox 360 in the future).

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I never knew. I thought the Steam Deck woukd have about the same ps2 emulation quality as the Asus rog ally. And I really enjoy emulation on the rog ally. In addition to playing Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, PS2, Gamecube/ Wii perfectly, it's also great for ps3 and wiiu and Model 3. (I'll try Switch and Xbox 360 in the future).
Steam OS is linux and that version is always behind and not just ps2. I remember trying Redream on SD and every game had some visual artifact. It turns out it's a bug that has been there for ~2 years on the linux version and some specific chip. Not sure if it is fixed now.

WiiU seem to work fine, ps3 only the light games

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the SP. First impression is quite strong. Love the form-factor and think it might be more comfortable for me than the XX-H. With that said, the Silver looks nice but the paint does feel kinda cheap, and part of me wishes I had gone with one of the transparent models, but that's without having felt them in hand...

Oct 25, 2017
what i worry about is the form factor. what holds me back on using my odin lite for 3d games is the awful sticks position, which if im gonna focus on dpad games, i'd play them on something with a better dpad placement (aka my miyoo mini+).

i really should get to selling my odin lite tho. maybe replace it with a odin 2? can't tell if i'd enjoy the ergonomics and sticks more or less.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I am super close to ordering an SP. The two things holding are 1) I have an H that I still haven't set up yet, and 2) I can't decide on a color

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Mupen standalone runs N64 just about perfectly on the RG405M, and even my Retroid Pocket 2+.
this is purely out of looking at youtube videos and just wanting something nicer. I know I shouldn't.
I got mupen standalone running well along with a front end I can't manage to spell, and like the setup with my rp2+
a bigger screen would be nice, but I also have a steam deck already

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Steam OS is linux and that version is always behind and not just ps2. I remember trying Redream on SD and every game had some visual artifact. It turns out it's a bug that has been there for ~2 years on the linux version and some specific chip. Not sure if it is fixed now.

Alright, good to know. I've wanted Steam Deck, but it was never released in my country. My combo of Anbernic RG35XX H + Asus rog ally works well enough though. I only miss being able to play Sega Saturn perfectly on a much smaller device.

LordFlash

Mar 24, 2023
I am really thinking of getting one of these. What would you guys recommend for around 200 USD? Emulation - up to PS2 is enough. And I want to be able to run Steam Link on it.

ELEGYGHOST

Oct 22, 2023
After owning and enjoying my Evercade Super Pocket, and an Analogue Pocket, I finally ordered an RGB30 which will be my dedicated Pico-8 handheld! Anybody know how long it takes directly from Powkiddy? Is it really 2 weeks to a month?? Thanks!

hopeblimey

Sep 23, 2023
this is purely out of looking at youtube videos and just wanting something nicer. I know I shouldn't.
I got mupen standalone running well along with a front end I can't manage to spell, and like the setup with my rp2+
a bigger screen would be nice, but I also have a steam deck already

I really like the RG405M. The difference in screen estate from the RP2+ is noticeable. Just make sure of two things: you're installing GammaOS on it, and you are getting a grip too. That one is a bit less comfortable to hold without a grip than an RP2+.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
I am really thinking of getting one of these. What would you guys recommend for around 200 USD? Emulation - up to PS2 is enough. And I want to be able to run Steam Link on it.
"Up to PS2" pretty much means top of the line for these lol. Odin 2 is the only good value device that gives great PS2 performance imo. You can get Retroid Pocket 4 which is decent but there are plenty of PS2 games that run poorly on it still. So I'd go with an Odin 2.

LordFlash

Mar 24, 2023
Thanks guys.

Steam Link would be more important than PS2 level emulation TBH. I will mostly use this on the sofa and anything the device cant emulate, my PC will be able to.

So if there is something that can do that plus has decent sticks and triggers, I wouldnt mind looking at that either. I dont wanna spend more cause that puts me in the "buy a used steam deck category".

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Thanks guys.

Steam Link would be more important than PS2 level emulation TBH. I will mostly use this on the sofa and anything the device cant emulate, my PC will be able to.

So if there is something that can do that plus has decent sticks and triggers, I wouldnt mind looking at that either. I dont wanna spend more cause that puts me in the "buy a used steam deck category".
Funnily enough if you want a good device for streaming you have to go with a large one. Which puts in the same position, meaning Steam Deck or a large android device. The Logitech G has been praised for that but with limited emulation (aka not good enough for ps2) and is within your price range.

Odin 2 is great for ps2 but I wouldn't recommend it for streaming. For that purpose SD is better.

TLRD: Steam Deck or Logitech G

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
RP4pro is still my favorite of these things that I've tried. Has run everything I've tried. Only negative is the screen is a little small.

Naru

May 11, 2019
You guys think the higher price of the RGB20SX is worth it compared to the RGB30? It's pretty much the same thing in vertical except for the bigger battery. Not sure about d-pad and build quality though.

I just noticed the price difference isn't that big. I could get the RGB30 for around 69 Euros on Aliexpress and the SX for 76 Euros including taxes and shipping. Still not sure what to buy though.

Last edited:

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Just got the SP. First impression is quite strong. Love the form-factor and think it might be more comfortable for me than the XX-H. With that said, the Silver looks nice but the paint does feel kinda cheap, and part of me wishes I had gone with one of the transparent models, but that's without having felt them in hand...
What's your opinion on the 2.7 scaling on GBA games

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022

You can always use proton on a windows executable, thats what I ended up doing for Redream.

Even so the Deck has like half the cores of the Z1x, so its going to fall far behind in higher-end emulation, particularly with the GPU being relatively idle.

Blitzpwnage

Feb 11, 2018
I wouldn't rule out the Odin 2. It handles PS2 very well, even if you don't "upgrade" to a fork of Aether. It's not OLED, but it has a 6-inch screen, and is much smaller than the Deck.

I honestly can vouch for the screen too. It's a great screen. I think it has decent color reproduction too if I remember correctly!

Edit: went and found this

"The results reveal that the Odin 2 screen impressively covers 96% of the P3 color gamut, making it a standout in the realm of displays."

Last edited:

Frizbee

Jul 19, 2022
I would say the Odin 2. I've got the base model and can run Steam games just fine with Steam link. It all depends on your internet connection.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
People bring up PS2 a lot here so it might be a good place to ask. Some games look great and some are abnormally blurry/shakey. Googling makes me think that has to do with interlacing but wasn't sure, but I only really run into it with some PS2 games. Is that just how it is or is there not much you can do about it other than fiddle with the deinterlace options?

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
People bring up PS2 a lot here so it might be a good place to ask. Some games look great and some are abnormally blurry/shakey. Googling makes me think that has to do with interlacing but wasn't sure, but I only really run into it with some PS2 games. Is that just how it is or is there not much you can do about it other than fiddle with the deinterlace options?
What games? Device? I don't have that issue with the games I have tested

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What games? Device? I don't have that issue with the games I have tested
Well you mentioning device made me go try and find one that was consistent across PC/Linux/Android and it was actually hard to find one. Android seemed least susceptible but maybe my settings are different there. Densha De Go Final was consistently flicker-ey looking across all but it isn't the most common game I guess. GT3 is extremely flickery on my PC but fine on Linux/Android.

Rahkeesh

Jun 20, 2022
Well you mentioning device made me go try and find one that was consistent across PC/Linux/Android and it was actually hard to find one. Android seemed least susceptible but maybe my settings are different there. Densha De Go Final was consistently flicker-ey looking across all but it isn't the most common game I guess. GT3 is extremely flickery on my PC but fine on Linux/Android.

Would the software rendering path do this? Most of these PS2 games were 480i so they are supposed to be be jittery/blurry, but the emulators kind of ignore that when translating to 3D APIs. You also had some games doing per-field shading for that 480i, its kind of impossible to emulate that accurately without simulating interlacing (and I guess de-interlacing)

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Would the software rendering path do this? Most of these PS2 games were 480i so they are supposed to be be jittery/blurry, but the emulators kind of ignore that when translating to 3D APIs. You also had some games doing per-field shading for that 480i, its kind of impossible to emulate that accurately without simulating interlacing (and I guess de-interlacing)
I guess I'd also curious why the 480i presents itself this way for some PS2 games and not other games running in -i for other gen 5/6 systems.

Edit: I found a forum post that goes over it:

Why the option for interlacing? [Edited]

First I need to say I don't know how to program, let alone know how a PS2 or its emulation works. But I always had this question: Why does PCSX2 has the Interlacing option at all? I know the image of

Basically, other systems have standardized interlacing techniques that are easier to counteract behind the scenes, PS2 is a hodge podge of however the developer wanted to do it on a per game basis and the de-interlacing work is therefore not as straightforward.

Last edited:

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Yeah that's pretty obscure. I'll try it tomorrow. It's the 3rd game right?

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Edit: I found a forum post that goes over it:

Why the option for interlacing? [Edited]

First I need to say I don't know how to program, let alone know how a PS2 or its emulation works. But I always had this question: Why does PCSX2 has the Interlacing option at all? I know the image of

Basically, other systems have standardized interlacing techniques that are easier to counteract behind the scenes, PS2 is a hodge podge of however the developer wanted to do it on a per game basis and the de-interlacing work is therefore not as straightforward.
That was a big issue for a long time. That's why the Ace Combat games were a pain to emulate properly. They had the same issue but it's fixed now I think

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqH_GMFHqf4
image.png

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I really like the RG Cube design in every way except the DPad placement. Don't like that they went with Asymmetrical there. I was really interested otherwise.

Gong

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody still using the RGB30? How has the build quality been holding up?

Has very quickly become my go-to handheld when I'm looking for a quick blast of something, esp SNES and GB/GBC games due to being able to implement an 8:7 aspect ratio. I find it comfy to use, is great with ARKOS firmware and the only issue I had was I had to open it up and disconnect the battery then reconnect it to solve the wild discharging it would go through once I slipped past 50%. All fine now.

The D-Pad is OK, but I ain't going in there to mess with it or the sticks, they're perfectly serviceable considering the price.