• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I just learned of a great homebrew GBA Tetris clone called Apotris that has so many different features, modes and customizations, it's the retro Tetris I've been looking for. Only thing missing is those classic songs from the original. It played great on my RG35XX+. https://akouzoukos.com/apotris

I just used MinUI's "sleep" feature, very cool. Worked like a charm, this trumps having box art for me.
Have you looked into Rosey Retrospection? It's a mod for GB Tetris that updates it with modern features and ruleset. Apotris is great, but RR is my go-to.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
The Ayaneo Flip I think looks kind of ugly and too big compared to a real DS Lite. Needs to look more sleek.
My problem is the controller layout. It looks like there's plenty of room, but they decided not to offset the sticks and buttons, which is always uncomfortable for me.

Then there's the price. It's at least twice as expensive as I'd be willing to pay for a device like this. Kinda wish they had gone with less powerful hardware to bring the price down. Who's buying this to play AAA PC games anyway?

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
and remember next week they will announce a new one
Expecting the Ayaneo Flip Lite Pocket 2 Pro any day now.

Do it. My MM+ has grown on me a bit since my initial negative impression vs the 35XX. Onion (and Garlic 1) is the best OS these devices have ever seen. It's just so much faster than the EmulationStation variants.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Finally managed to install an updated build of ArkOS on my R36S after buying a new microSD. The thing is, it won't run Fate/Extra CCC, but it should be enough to run a few visual novels and Pokémon titles I've been itching to play when I'm in public transport.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I got an email newsletter from Anbernic today explaining all of the 35XX handheld variations with some terrible italicised text.

So the OG 35XX comes with Linux and Garlic installed but no WiFi but the 35XX+ has wifi but no garlic. Is it possible to put garlic on it?

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I got an email newsletter from Anbernic today explaining all of the 35XX handheld variations with some terrible italicised text.

So the OG 35XX comes with Linux and Garlic installed but no WiFi but the 35XX+ has wifi but no garlic. Is it possible to put garlic on it?
As I understand it you can use Garlic on the plus, but it doesn't make use of the GPU of the device.

Oh, cool. Looks like DX just released a couple months ago. Didn't even know it existed. Might have to update to that.
I tried out Rosy Retrospection DX and it's great. That music counts for a lot!

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
I just played Tetris Advance for the first time, on my rg35xx+ with MinUI, I didn't even know it existed. It seemed to have everything I want in a Tetris, really good game. But the audio was kind of crackling at times, not sure if that's just how it is. Guess I'll check some YouTube videos and see if it sounds the same there.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
So got my MiyooMiniPlus, installed OnionOS, everything looks good, except the WiFi...
It sees the network, but always fails to connect. For some reason it connected once, and I was able to scrape some artwork, but after a reboot it just won't connect anymore...Help? 😥

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Looking for some help and guidance. want to pick up some small little handheld for some GB, DS, GBA, Master System, SNES and nothing past PS1.
Checked out some videos and seems like the RG35XXH or the Miyoo Mini Plus is what I am after.
Would that be right for my needs?

Seeing social media posts about the cost of the RG35XXH, I checked on their site via TikTok shop app and it shows up at £56.99 for a new customer deal price, but they reckoned it was around £18.
The Miyoo mini+ via the above link is going for £32.

Any help would be most grateful.

Wigsy

Apr 5, 2022
Looking for some help and guidance. want to pick up some small little handheld for some GB, DS, GBA, Master System, SNES and nothing past PS1.
Checked out some videos and seems like the RG35XXH or the Miyoo Mini Plus is what I am after.

Seeing social media posts about the cost of the RG35XXH, I checked on their site via TikTok shop app and it shows up at £56.99 for a new customer deal price, but they reckoned it was around £18.

They're both excellent devices. Do you prefer vertical or horizontal? I have the MM+ but it makes my hand cramp after a little while. The RG35XXH is definitely more comfortable for me.

I didn't think the TikTok shop worked for people outside the US? But if you look on AliExpress then you can get the 35XXH for around £40 last I saw yesterday.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States

I just recently bought both the RG35XXH and the MM+ around the same time. The H came in a week before the MM+ did. I have been playing the MM+ and haven't touched the H. OnionOS on it is just fantastic. The main factor is the "Sleep state" the H just doesn't have one and the MM+ boots so quick and autoloads the game you were playing and the save state so quickly it is practically a sleep state.

That being said, if you NEED analog sticks. Go with the H. The H is also a bit more comfortable but I don't like the layout of the R and L bumpers as much as the MM+.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
They're both excellent devices. Do you prefer vertical or horizontal? I have the MM+ but it makes my hand cramp after a little while. The RG35XXH is definitely more comfortable for me.

I didn't think the TikTok shop worked for people outside the US? But if you look on AliExpress then you can get the 35XXH for around £40 last I saw yesterday.

I don't mind either way. Previusly had device either way.
OK thanks

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I just recently bought both the RG35XXH and the MM+ around the same time. The H came in a week before the MM+ did. I have been playing the MM+ and haven't touched the H. OnionOS on it is just fantastic. The main factor is the "Sleep state" the H just doesn't have one and the MM+ boots so quick and autoloads the game you were playing and the save state so quickly it is practically a sleep state.

That being said, if you NEED analog sticks. Go with the H. The H is also a bit more comfortable but I don't like the layout of the R and L bumpers as much as the MM+.

Interesting, appreciate the response.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017

They're both great choices. I really prefer Anbernic when it comes to hardware, but I lean toward recommending the MM+ based on the software. Onion OS is fantastic, and the options for the 35XXP/H aren't on the same level. muOS is what I use on my 35XXP, but it's not quite as streamlined.

If you want analog sticks, the choice is obvious. Just depends on which PS1 games you want to play. Personally, I prefer playing 3D PS1 games with an analog stick regardless of whether they're required.

I will say, however, that I'm not a fan of playing DS on these 4:3 devices. You have to set up a button to swap screens (and there's no touch functionality), which I find cumbersome. Really prefer a 16:9 device when it comes to DS so I can have both screens up at once. Not everybody cares about this, but it's something to keep in mind.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
They're both great choices. I really prefer Anbernic when it comes to hardware, but I lean toward recommending the MM+ based on the software. Onion OS is fantastic, and the options for the 35XXP/H aren't on the same level. muOS is what I use on my 35XXP, but it's not quite as streamlined.

If you want analog sticks, the choice is obvious. Just depends on which PS1 games you want to play. Personally, I prefer playing 3D PS1 games with an analog stick regardless of whether they're required.

I will say, however, that I'm not a fan of playing DS on these 4:3 devices. You have to set up a button to swap screens (and there's no touch functionality), which I find cumbersome. Really prefer a 16:9 device when it comes to DS so I can have both screens up at once. Not everybody cares about this, but it's something to keep in mind.

Thanks for the details.
Just put an order in for a Miyoo Mini Plus :)

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
So got my MiyooMiniPlus, installed OnionOS, everything looks good, except the WiFi...
It sees the network, but always fails to connect. For some reason it connected once, and I was able to scrape some artwork, but after a reboot it just won't connect anymore...Help? 😥
Are you connecting to a dual-mode (5GHz/2.4GHz) network? My MM+ only sees my 2.4GHz network, and it may have trouble doing the negotiation a dual-mode network needs.

Wing84

Nov 21, 2022
Are there any retro portables with an 8" screen? Would love one to remote into my PS5 + PC when not using it for emulation.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
Every time I see the Ayaneo Flip it looks great.

And then I go look at the price tag.
just seeing it for the first time in this thread...and just now seeing the price tag......ffffffffuck, granted I know it wasnt gonna be retroid level prices but 850-1200 shipped is going to be out of my retro gaming handheld price range forever

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely hate the frame of the Steamdeck. I also want something that's not too bulky. I don't play AAA games on PC, so something that powerful isn't necessary. I mostly play older games and light weight indie games on PC.
Unfortunately, basically everything else in the 8" range is another relatively bulky, higher priced x86 handheld. Closest you can get on Android is the Logitech G Cloud at 7". Newer, slimmer devices like the Odin 2 and RG556 are in the 5.5-6" range.

If 8" is make or break you could look at normal Android tablets and telescopic controllers.

Wing84

Nov 21, 2022
Unfortunately, basically everything else in the 8" range is another relatively bulky, higher priced x86 handheld. Closest you can get on Android is the Logitech G Cloud at 7". Newer, slimmer devices like the Odin 2 and RG556 are in the 5.5-6" range.

If 8" is make or break you could look at normal Android tablets and telescopic controllers.
Yeah :-/

All I want is a larger AYN Loki-like device. I guess the Ally is the closest option.

Guybrarian

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah :-/

All I want is a larger AYN Loki-like device. I guess the Ally is the closest option.

I'm in the same boat as you. I am considering the small tablet with a telescoping controller option; sort of a homemade playstation portal that can do more. I'd love it if the Lenovo y700 came to the US and I'd pair it with a g8 Galileo.

Guybrarian

Jun 23, 2018
In fact, Retro Tech Dad just made a video where he paired a cheap 8 inch tablet with telescoping controllers and it could do a lot.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Now I have the bug, I need to keep an eye out for my next device. I need something that can comfortably do up to PS2/GC/Saturn, no bigger (preferably smaller) than Switch Lite, and no more than €$150. Non-Android a bonus.

I guess that's a little way off for now.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Are there any retro portables with an 8" screen? Would love one to remote into my PS5 + PC when not using it for emulation.

Logitech gcloud is 7 inches iirc. Afaik it's okay for up to maybe PSP and DC but not reliable for stuff beyond that. Expensive for what it is but maybe you can find one second hand for cheaper. I think it works fine with PSPlay etc. but not sure.

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Logitech gcloud is 7 inches iirc. Afaik it's okay for up to maybe PSP and DC but not reliable for stuff beyond that. Expensive for what it is but maybe you can find one second hand for cheaper. I think it works fine with PSPlay etc. but not sure.
Wanted to echo the G Cloud suggestion. It's great for streaming and the emulation is good enough that I've played large parts of PS2 games like God of War and Reisdent Evil 4 without issue, and entire games on GC (Paper Mario), and Wii (Klonoa) with few or no problems. It will definitely struggle with some games on those platforms to the point of being unplayable, but it's been better than I expected.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is interested in a custom purple Odin 2 Max, I'm selling mine (dropped the price) for $300 shipped with the box and rubber case/shell and charger included.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone is interested in a custom purple Odin 2 Max, I'm selling mine (dropped the price) for $300 shipped with the box and rubber case/shell and charger included.
Did you check out the HardwareSwap subreddit? I know a lot of people sell their SBC gaming devices there. Might be able to get closer to your original price as well.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Well, you bastards won.

I bought a MiyooMiniPlus even though I have an Odin 2.

Damn you all.
It's nice to have a smaller pick up and play device. I currently have a RP4P, 405M, 35XXP, and MM+ in addition to my Steam Deck. 35XXP and MM+ are great for a quick game of Tetris or something. I'll probably sell/give away both once the 35XXSP launches, though.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
It's nice to have a smaller pick up and play device. I currently have a RP4P, 405M, 35XXP, and MM+ in addition to my Steam Deck. 35XXP and MM+ are great for a quick game of Tetris or something. I'll probably sell/give away both once the 35XXSP launches, though.
Yeah, I'm using my rg35xx h sometimes, despite also using an asus rog ally sometimes. It's just better to play older systems on the snaller handheld.

nyingpo

Mar 10, 2020

In fact, Retro Tech Dad just made a video where he paired a cheap 8 inch tablet with telescoping controllers and it could do a lot.

It looks like a pretty decent alternative. I ordered an iPlay50 after this video by RetroBreeze, still waiting for it. It works with iPads too.