• Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.3%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 881 48.6%

• Total voters

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
My last 3 runs up to biome 3 have all ended with the bug. Why do I keep playing this.

JhOnNY_HD

Dec 13, 2020
I beat the final boss at first try and Im glad for that.

My mental health cant handle more 3h runs anymore.

Housemarque make a huge mistake with wipe all mecanics and in this state barely anyone cant finish the game

Nov 19, 2019
Think I might be done with this game, I've hit a wall trying to beat the boss in biome 3 and I'm really getting tired of having to grind out biome 1 everytime I die just to get enough integrity.
I've seen that advice everywhere and I think it's very bad and a total momentum killer. Just rush to biome 3 and pray. This has always been how I've gotten over the hump.

You'll still die some, but it is so much easier to accept when you haven't spent 45 minute to an hour wandering around biome 1 every time.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
Just beaten the first boss. Game is really easy so far but I'm sure it's going to ramp up dramatically.

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly I may just quit and come back when the save game feature is in. I played for 3+ hours and suspended until today only to find that the update lost it all. Wow.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
I've seen that advice everywhere and I think it's very bad and a total momentum killer. Just rush to biome 3 and pray. This has always been how I've gotten over the hump.

You'll still die some, but it is so much easier to accept when you haven't spent 45 minute to an hour wandering around biome 1 every time.

This.

I can appreciate the concept. But realistically you're buying yourself a few extra hits. Certainly useful but it's probably not worth the burnout. Just head for the boss, hope you get a couple of decent drops, and practice.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
I would have VASTLY preferred this if they had just gone with a Metroid style of gameplay - where once you don't lose every scrap of progress when you die. As is, this is basically dark souls where you lose all your weapons, souls, level / skill points, and items when you die, and you also lose all unlocked bonfires and shortcuts too.

Just think I need to accept it's not for me and sell it. Which is a shame because the core gameplay is brilliant - selene feels great to control -, the atmosphere and world is fab, the lore is interesting, the enemy designs are great and the Groundhog Day style plot device is cool too.

I just think I would have enjoyed it more if it didn't have the "lose everything when you die stuff" as, to me, it becomes insanely frustrating.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
The boss of the 2nd biome wrecked me so hard that I honestly have no clue how to beat it. When it zooms across the arena over and over I can't tell where it is or where it's coming from.

Dodging like hell doesn't seem to work at all either. Guess I'll just have to make a dozen runs of the first biome and build up my ether for my next attempt.

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
Holy shit, that difficulty spike in the 5th biome. 1-4 I maybe had 3 deaths it total but here it's kicking my arse.
Literally every room is a kill box lmao
I didn't know if it was me or if the difficulty significantly ramped up in Biome 5 but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I died I think 4 times before reaching Biome 5 (was also probably lucky on some runs) but Biome 5 is a beast on its own to me. Each room has the possibility to mess everything up very quickly
those damn kamikaze drones and those frosted enemies that get to you up close + the challenge room you have to complete is definitely no joke
. I had to readapt my playstyle to go through it by being a lot more mobile than before. I'll be able to start Biome 6 tonight (Rest mode still holding for now).

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Think I might be done with this game, I've hit a wall trying to beat the boss in biome 3 and I'm really getting tired of having to grind out biome 1 everytime I die just to get enough integrity.

don't spend too much time in biome 1 each time it's not worth it. rush through as many optional chambers as you can find to get yourself in a decent starting place and move to Biome 3 ASAP

just aim for a few big ticket upgrades, don't spend like 30 mins in Biome 1 every time just to get wrecked in 10 minutes of Biome 3. skill is more important than upgrades IMO to clear through Biome 3 because it's big enough and has enough to offer

I think grinding Biome 1 is a good strat if you are struggling with 2, but not after that

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't want to use my anecdotal experience to comment on the overall coding of the game. But the malfunction probability stuff seems incredibly unreliable. I'll go on runs where I just take every chance and never get a single malfunction.

Was in the middle of a good run, picked up a parasite that reduced the probability of getting a malfunction. Next ~10 tries I had, every single one bit me in the ass. Obviously that is not impossible given the RNG nature of it. But it definitely didn't seem right. And it's not the only time I've experienced something like that. Ended up cutting the run short.

Anyone have similar experiences? Have we been able to shed any light on exactly how it works? Or just cross your fingers and hope it's one of those lucky runs?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
^^^ Edit: "This game was updated while in rest mode. The updated game was closed." Argh.

Wait....my console has been in Rest mode since yesterday evening. Are you telling me an update just killed my current run?
I swear, if this is the case, I might quit. I finished the first biome for the very first time last night, put my PS5 in rest mode, and planned on continuing today.

Edit 2: Whew, at least it remembered that I beat the first boss and made it to the second biome, but still, this sucks...

Last edited:

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
IG3z93f.jpg
These are tough, but I find the ones in biome 5 way more annoying and hard.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mine the game generating a seed for a run which you did really well on, so you get all the same items when you use it. I know it's against this type of game, but anything that makes it a bit easier for those who are rubbish at it, would be nice.

m4st4

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hyperion down.

How is this game such an operatic masterpiece during boss fights, I am brain dead right now, holy shit.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I changed was putting dash on R1.

Same. I wanted to try it to L1 but I'm too used to using items there.

But definitely remapping the controls seem like a must, especially if you are finding the game difficult.

Which makes me wonder during testing, focus testing this wasnt bought up? L1/R1 seems the best option by default.
Ah I beat the first boss, I'm on subsequent runs. Do I have to beat the first boss again to use them?
This is a good question. Might test this out after I get the grappling hook. Wanna focus on that right now. Although I could do this now since I just died last night.

For those finding it difficult, after you beat the first boss extra slots unlock and you can use data cubes to unlock more items. So it will get better after you beat the first boss.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
^^^ Edit: "This game was updated while in rest mode. The updated game was closed." Argh.

I swear, if this is the case, I might quit. I finished the first biome for the very first time last night, put my PS5 in rest mode, and planned on continuing today.

if you cleared the first boss, then you hit a real "save" point so you'll be able to effectively go straight to biome 2 when you start up again, killed run or not.

Boogalogist

Oct 25, 2017
I just to the first boss. Any tips there? What moves to dodge, what moves to strafe?

This game is awesome so far.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017

Edit 2: Whew, at least it remembered that I beat the first boss and made it to the second biome, but still, this sucks...

if you picked up the Crimson Key at least you can go straight to Biome 2 in your next run.

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I dunno why, but I can't shake the feeling that this was originally going to launch for PS4 at some point. It's fine visually but it doesn't have too much about it that screams next gen to me, especially as far as texture work is concerned. You'd figure that would have been trade off for a rocksteady framerate but in more expansive areas that certainly isn't the case.

Currently in the second biome and it's fine visually but looks pretty par the course for this type of game.

hog

Mar 9, 2021
Think people are kind of misunderstanding the structure of this game tbh. It is really more like 6 levels that you play in a linear order than a Hades style rogue like. Each boss and biome is basically a separate objective, the shortcuts you get after clearing a boss totally change the way you need to approach them. You really do not need to grind through earlier biomes that much since your weapons will get leveled up to match the biomes you're playing on anyway. Just get some healing items and dodge their attacks.

pure

Jun 18, 2019
Germany
Is there a way to randomly get malfunctions ? I had a pretty good run going in biome 3 and all of a sudden I got "enemies counter on hit" and a few minutes later "disabled overload". This pretty much ended my run and I have no idea where I got them from. I definitely didn't pick up items that would have caused this. Are there enemies which can put malfunctiosn on you ?

SuperOctopus

Apr 22, 2020
If you didn't turn off the setting that installs updates while it's in rest mode, then that is most likely the case

I just checked and I'm lucky as the game did not update so my run is still alive. But the PS5 started downloading the update as soon as I turned it on. I paused the download for now but I'm afraid I can't put it in Rest mode anymore as it will finish the download and close the game. I guess a mix of "canceling" the patch download and not have the PS5 connected to the Internet may work but I'm too afraid to try it. :/
I'm all for developers vision and sticking to your guns but this thing is really too far from me...

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
I just to the first boss. Any tips there? What moves to dodge, what moves to strafe?

This game is awesome so far.

Keep your distance at all times, keep moving sideways unless it does the horizontal swiping laser attack, dodge forwards or backwards to avoid that. Also finger on the dodge button if it does the melee lunge towards you!

Frakked

Jun 5, 2018
Somewhere around the second boss this game hit phenomenal status for me. I had an incredible run battling through biome 2, and almost defeated the boss on my first attempt. I was scraping its 3rd phase with low-level health regen, and just couldn't hold out. I swear I couldn't move for 10 mins after dying, as the whole thing was so exhilarating and exhausting.

In general the visual and sound aesthetics of this game are just stunning. It has that ethereal, alien feeling that reminds me of Death Stranding. I'm actually relieved that Biomes 2 and 3 aren't as unsettling as 1.

And that little haptic feedback piece when your alt fire recharges? Perfection.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
After breezing through biomes 3 and 4 yesterday I finally encountered some resistance in biome 5. Haven't found a single key yet and already racked up multiple deaths. Gotta rush less and play more patiently :P

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to randomly get malfunctions ? I had a pretty good run going in biome 3 and all of a sudden I got "enemies counter on hit" and a few minutes later "disabled overload". This pretty much ended my run and I have no idea where I got them from. I definitely didn't pick up items that would have caused this. Are there enemies which can put malfunctiosn on you ?

yeah red attacks in biome 3 cause malfunctions :D also some parasites have effects you might have forgotten about?

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
The fast frenetic action is very reminiscent of Doom to me, maybe not quite as fast paced but you have to stay on the move, and use all traversal mechanics. Really loving the combat and lore so far, the dual senses implementation here is unmatched also, I repeatedly notice how it's impacting my immersion in a positive way. Excited to play more.

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Was a productive weekend! Finished the first boss of Saturday night, and then spent Sunday morning exploring the second biome. Really enjoyed the change in design from the forest area. Also found my favorite weapon with the Hollowpoint. Got a few upgrades for it unlocked and it basically shreds through everything even at lower Proficiency levels. Was trying to figure out if there is a way to see if you'd full found everything in the first Biome, so I ended up doing a complete run through of the first area - and then moved onto the second and my intention was just to finish exploring the second area before really thinking about a boss run since I'd yet to attempt the 2nd boss... and, well yeah, after fulling exploring Biome 1 and 2 I knocked out the 2nd boss on my first attempt. Was a little hairy at the 3rd phase, but managed to not even need the astronaut I had on me.

Pushing through Biome 3, but those fucking missle launching drones basically wipe out half my health in one go, even knowing now to prioritize them. More just glad finally unlocked the hookshot. Seeing all those obvious areas where you could use it, and not knowing when I'd unlocked it was low key driving my OCD off the charts. Even if I die, or come back to a crashed rest mode game, I'll be really happy with the progress I made and eager to go back through Biome 1 and 2 to see all the new areas I can reach with this upgrade.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I've been finding the structure really appealing, it's nice to have a game give me an incentive to stop for the night after a long run goes south. Compared to say, Sekiro or Dark Souls where I'd try the same boss 50x in a row, It's both addictive and not.

I'm only up to biome 2 so maybe I'll find it more annoying once I'm stuck in biome 3 or something, but I'm enjoying it.

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
Welp, I just read the replies of the last couple of pages and saw there was an update. So the last run I had paused at the start of biome 3 with full health and a pretty good roll on the Hollowfinder, or whatever it's called, that I planned to play on my lunch break today is now gone. Thanks Housemarque.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Welp, I just read the replies of the last couple of pages and saw there was an update. So the last run I had paused at the start of biome 3 with full health and a pretty good roll on the Hollowfinder, or whatever it's called, that I planned to play on my lunch break today is now gone. Thanks Housemarque.

It's such a crappy design choice, I'm amazed they went with it.

Here is hoping a proper save feature is implemented quickly.